Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: music at Pacers games - suggestions?

pb777

Default music at Pacers games - suggestions?

What's up, it's about time I found a msg board like this! Thanks for putting me in the game Hicks. This really is a nice board, lots of good info and opinions. On to the point - Like I posted on another board,

"I'm the DJ inside Conseco at the Pacers games. I go by DJ Paul B at the games and by DJ Paul Bunyon elsewhere. This is a new position for me, and I am learning that it is difficult to please everyone with every song. The music I play during player warmups is specifically for the players, per JO and Al. The rest of the game is for the players and fans. I dont play music during the game, that is someone else. I just play 5 to 6 timeouts and quarter breaks. I am looking for suggestions of songs that you would like to hear at the games. Thanks for any suggestions you may have."

We've gotta bring it on Saturday, and those of you at the game have to make Conseco a nightmare for Miami by being loud and discractive during their possessions. (Just don't throw batteries, lol)

PB

Default Re: music at Pacers games - suggestions?

Hmmm

well i can only hear you over the radio when I am not bored with commercials, but hey i can make a few suggestions

start the game with "yes we can" (short outtake) Pointer Sisters, because I KNOW we can make it!
    (there will be some funky remix somewhere, i go by the original because i'm old )

Ron made some stuff, maybe that gets him going

Rammstein: Feuer

post some more later when less people nag at me
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Ya! play some of Rons music! though, I haven't heard much... I know he has a album out with canibus. Might be hard to find, but I'm sure Ron could get ya a copy

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey can ya tell em to lose the race cars??? I refused to go for years because of those things. They are fake sounding, bush league, and hurt my ears. Other than that...the music I'll let the youngsters decide. (no, no Barry Manilow)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I love your quote by the butler coach geezer. Aint that the truth?

Mood

I love your quote by the butler coach geezer. Aint that the truth?
    I was at a father son banquet in a itty bitty country church when I saw/heard coach Hinkle utter those words. Musta been all of twenty of us there at the time. What an honor to meet him.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Here's a suggestion: get rid of DJ Paul B.

Not very original, and if he's got to go on line to figure out what to do at his job, well, he isn't really doing it that well.

DJ Paul B. is a boring distraction at Pacers Games.

He already did play some of Ron Artest's music.

He mainly just talks into the microphone, and showing the noise-o-meter.

Nerd.
    Mood

Here's a suggestion: get rid of DJ Paul B.

Not very original, and if he's got to go on line to figure out what to do at his job, well, he isn't really doing it that well.

DJ Paul B. is a boring distraction at Pacers Games.

He already did play some of Ron Artest's music.

He mainly just talks into the microphone, and showing the noise-o-meter.
    Constructive criticism my friend.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul,

I'm glad you came over here a posted this question. I know you're just doing your job.

In theory, I'm opposed to the Pacers even feeling the need to have a DJ during a basketball game. Yes, I'm a hardcore basketball geek and Indy is supposed to the basketball capital of the world.

But that's not your issue; I've got no "beef" with you doing the job you were hired to do.

On the other hand, Jay's_Dad@Section222 announced during Game #1 of the Miami series that it might be his last Pacers game because he just can't stomach all the music and noise with the ball in play. It was enough when it was just time-outs, during the airplane race, etc. Dad's even more old-school than I am . And to his credit, he likes BOTH types of music (Country AND Western) so maybe you could appease him and his types with an occasional hint of twang.

But if you're going to be there, please, please, please play Long Tall Glasses during the fourth quarter. If you don't have it, I'm sure Slick has an extra copy on 45 rpm he could let you borrow. Nothing says Pacers playoff basketball like Long Tall Glasses.

Now if you wanted your song selection to be 'all Springsteen, all the time,' well that would be fine by me but probably not the type of advice you should listen too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

First, ignore the idiot who doesn't think you should actually come out and ask the fans what they'd like. I thought it was refreshing myself.

Obviously, if you're playing quarter breaks & TO's your main goal is to get the home fans on their feet and loud, esp in the 4th quarter.

I've always been partial to AC/DC and similar sounds for that - something with a heavy bass that gets the blood pumping. It's not what I listen to at home but old stand-by's like "Thunder" are good.

I've always thought teams should contract with an artist to use a song to make a music video they can play before the start of games. Get a choreographer, players, interpose the song with scenes in the locker room, court action, etc.

I'll have to listen to some of my heavier stuff to come up with more specifics - I don't listen to hi-hop but solid, heavy rap also works. (Not the bubble-gum stuff)
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I'll second Jay's suggestion of Long Tall Glasses. I'm guessing you'd be surprised at the reaction it gets.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I'll second Jay's suggestion of Long Tall Glasses. I'm guessing you'd be surprised at the reaction it gets.
    You're going to put Lonesome Day in your signature (Samantha wanted to watch the Barcelona DVD last night instead of Looney Tunes so I watched that while the game was TiVo'ing, Lonesome Day is very appropriate right now) but you're only going to back me on Long Tall Glasses? Now I feel betrayed. I was counting on at least one other vote.

BBBRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCEE!

Paul,

First of all, thanks for coming over here and asking us what we like. For the most part, the people who post here are Pacers purist. By that, I mean that we were brought up with things that we remember from when we (Pacers) were successful before.

I think you do a great job at doing what you do. I went to a Wizards game vs. Pacers last year and they had an emcee there. He was really good and the fans took a while to warm up to him but he has become something that the fans enjoy and look forward to at the Wiz games. So give it some time and you will become a staple in Conseco. Remember, people HATED Boomer when he first showed up and now look.

To answer your question from my point of view. I, too, would like to hear some music from yesteryear. Todd Rundgren (bang on my drum all day-the song that was played right after Smits hit his jumper against Orlando in the conference finals at the buzzer). Long Tall Glasses (you know I can dance...)isn't something that goes along with the music you play but it would be appreciated. Also, reference some old time things such as Dancing Harry and his "Wammy Stick". Things like that really get me going. Throwbacks are in and not just jerseys. Maybe some throwback music, throwback references, etc.

I appreciate your asking for input and I apologize for the classless people who posted previouisly with their classless comments. Good luck with everything and I look forward to hearing you Saturday. Go Pacers!!!!!!!!!!
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

pb777

Able - I'll have to search for that Pointer Sisters. I think I remember it but it's been a long time since I've heard it. I'm waiting on Ron to give me a clean version of his new material that I can play in the arena. As soon as I get it, it's on...

Burtrem - Yeah the new mixtape with Canibus is kinda nice. He has songs on it with Nas and Mobb Deep too.

indygeezer - You stopped going to games because of Boomer's race car? I don't think they use those anymore, I havent seen them for a few months. No Barry? I did play Frank Sinatra the other night though...

Crusher - Not original? So there have been other DJ's there before me? I'm not posting here to "figure out what to do at my job", I'm simply asking the true real basketball heads what kind of music they would like to hear at a game. You have heard of "requests" before. Nevertheless, thanks for your point of view.

Stryder - Thank you

Jay@section222 - I cant help you with the music played during the actual game. That is someone else playing then, all of his selections are sanctioned by the NBA to be played during either offensive or defensive possessions. It seems to be the direction the NBA is taking the league - music played during possessions that it.
    Can you tell me who made "Long Tall Glasses"? I'm open to try it out, just need to find a copy. Thanks for the suggestion!

DisplacedKnick - Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that somebody on this board thought it refreshing.
    Those are my goals exactly - to hype the crowd late in the game. AC/DC works really well, especially late in the 4th.
    Interesting idea of contracting with an artist. I like that.
    The players really like the hard rap stuff too, it's the reason I play it during players warmups. Please post when you come up with more specifics, thanks...

pb777

BigMac - Thanks for letting me come to this site and talk with other Pacers fans.
    I agree with your post. A lot of people dont like "change" or "new", but in time may start to. I'm just grateful that I have this opportunity with the team, and I'm trying my best to make it work.
    That Tood Rundgren song is awesome, best believe I'll play it this Saturday. Still trying to find out who made "Long Tall Glasses." Right on for your comments and suggestions, see you at the game this Saturday!

Jay@section222 - I cant help you with the music played during the actual game. That is someone else playing then, all of his selections are sanctioned by the NBA to be played during either offensive or defensive possessions. It seems to be the direction the NBA is taking the league - music played during possessions that it.
    Can you tell me who made "Long Tall Glasses"? I'm open to try it out, just need to find a copy. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Its all good - I don't care for the strategy but they're trying to cater to the casual fans, not the hardcore geeks like myself. It is what it is, but I appreciate your desire to make the Fieldhouse 'electric'. What DJ doesn't take requests, BTW? I guess I didn't understand the personal criticism placed by some others on here.

Leo Sayer. Its a laughably-bad disco-era song that used to be a Pacers tradition.

[size=18:a48f59af45]Long Tall Glasses[/size]
    I was travelliní down the road, feeliní hungry and cold
    I saw a sign sayiní food and drinks for everyone
    So naturally I thought I would take me a look inside
    I saw so much food, there was water cominí from my eye

Yeah there was ham aní there was turkey, there was caviar
    Aní long tall glasses, with wine up to yar

Aní then somebody grabbed me, threw me outta my chair
    Said before you can eat, you gotta dance like fred astaire

You know I canít dance, you know I canít dance
    You know I canít dance, you know I canít dance
    I canít dance

I am a man of the road -- a hobo by name
    I donít seek entertainment, just poultry and game
    But if itís all the same to you, then yes I will try my hand
    If you were as hungry as me then Iím sure you would understand

Hmmm
    Now wait a minute
    Let me see now

Of course I can dance of course I can dance
    Iím sure I can dance, Iím sure I can dance..
    I can dance

I can dance
    I really hit the floor
    Ah feels good
    Look at me danciní

I did a two-step, quick-step and a bossa nova
    A little victor silvester, and a rudy valentino
    You should a seen me moviní, right across the floor
    Hand me down my tuxedo, next week Iím cominí back for more

I can dance -- oh yes! I can dance
    Look at me danciní the floor moviní
    I feel good -- I can dance
    I can dance, I can dance, I can dance.

EDIT - I might just make this my avatar.

pb777

Ahh! Thanks Jay, I'm going to start looking for it today. It helps that you even showed the cover, thanks again!

Mood

If Long Tall Glasses don't rejuvenate Reggie nothing will! THAT SONG IS THE PACERS! IMO

The race cars I refer to are the loud *&^$#% race car engines they pipe in during certain times (varooooooomm) guess ya haven't noticed em...I went to a game here while back and they didn't use them at all the next time they did...must be spotty. But they still hurt my ears and are bush league.

oh if only they could bring back the original Dancin Harry...for just one PO game....the place would go nuts.

Ahh! Thanks Jay, I'm going to start looking for it today. It helps that you even showed the cover, thanks again!
    Surely somebody on the Pacers entertainment staff has the CD. I think it was played once during the NBA Finals, but its become waayy too much of a rarity at the games over the past decade.

Two questions:

1) I've seen for years now people use the term "bush league". Can someone please elaborate what exactly that is?

2) Is Dancing Harry the inspiration for the SImpsons episode "Dancing Homer"?

Mood

Two questions:

1) I've seen for years now people use the term "bush league". Can someone please elaborate what exactly that is?

2) Is Dancing Harry the inspiration for the SImpsons episode "Dancing Homer"?

Ouch...ok I've used the term for years w/o really knowing for certain either. I've always thought it refered to the baseball minor leagues in some way..but Guess it's just an expression ya use. And I'm guessing you're right about Homer. (BTW how many know that he meaning Harry, was originally a Knicks fan and came over to the Pacers instead?)

Bush league: The league the Bush family used to play in. No, sorry.. ...Bush league means small time, or cheap.

Bush League is defined in Webster's as a small or second rate minor league.

Nerd.
    Mood

I'm a metalhead so my suggestions would be some riffs of Metallica or AC/DC.

Thunderstruck by AC/DC is always an excellent choice. Or the opening to Hells Bells.

The opening riff to Seek and Destroy by Metallica is awesome.

Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls is also a good choice to play.

First off, I'm a more old school guy who wouldn't mind it if there were no cheerleaders, no music, and no Boomer. Just basketball. I should probably start going to more college games, but I digress.

That said, I know that's not a realistic thing. It just wouldn't work with today's Pro crowds.

IMO, Paul B, you do one heck of a job. It's very tough to do what you do without being overly obnoxious. I haven't walked away yet going "I wish that guy would just shut up!"

I have walked away cursing at the plane race and the other "get up and yell for a freebie" things.

As for music, I am somewhat partial to AC/DC for that sort of thing. I don't mind the rap/hip-hop stuff. The only thing I don't like are the things we've heard a million times before - Bang on My Drum All Day and the ilk. Just keep it upbeat, keep it fresh.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Hey man, I've gone to a couple Pacers games this year. The only complaint I have is the talking that you do.

At the games I was at, you just yelled...and at a constant tone. It was mono-tone the whole time.

I enjoyed the music played throughout the games, but maybe working on your voice would make the games that much more enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, you do a fantastic job. I'm nit-picking.

Sactolover
    AKA Sactolover05