Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the best guard in the state of Indiana is named

Default Re: the best guard in the state of Indiana is named

I think that as he matures he WILL be a PG, and his game may resemble a young Baron Davis with a combination of strength and hops. He will likely have a lot more range than Baron, even with an NBA line. He will need to improve his passing ability.

Some guys who are naturally tiny 2-guards resist the insistance that they become PGs but others (Chauncey Billups for example) embrace it and eventually become good playmakers as well. From what I've seen he has the necessary basketball IQ, vision, and demeanor to be a legit PG.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until he plays against tougher competition, a smallish shooting guard does not deserve the throne IMO. I don't care what he looks like against less physically developed competition. He could be the next Shawn Respert.

Obviously, you have no clue what happened to Shawn, so I'll fill you in because that's an extremely low blow to him without it.

Shawn couldn't play basketball anymore, not because he wasn't good enough, because he wasn't healthy enough. He was diagnosed with abdomen cancer in 1996, and just left the NBA without telling people why. He didn't even tell his parents that he had cancer.

Shawn's name should NEVER come into discussion about being busts.

Here's a pretty good article on his "secret battle."
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=290060

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The thing I don't think is focused on enough about Gordon is his tremendous heart and leadership. I remember watching him my junior year (so his sophomore year) play Oden and Conley in the Regional finals at Hinkle. That LN team was stacked they had a great senior class and Oden and Jr, Gordon almost willed his completely undermanned NC to a victory as a sophomore. I have thought very highly of him ever since.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    You're right...Hall of Famers from the 70s are clearly irrelevant to the discussion of basketball.
    as opposed to my REAL point (which most posters could grasp) which is if you have to go back 30 years to come up with a list of 6 or so names, that's pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Obviously, you have no clue what happened to Shawn, so I'll fill you in because that's an extremely low blow to him without it.

Shawn couldn't play basketball anymore, not because he wasn't good enough, because he wasn't healthy enough. He was diagnosed with abdomen cancer in 1996, and just left the NBA without telling people why. He didn't even tell his parents that he had cancer.

Respert was a VERY good college player. He would have been a fine pro if healthy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    don't see how you can possibly have an opinion on the matter unless you have seen the kid play...

Just by doing the math, you can have an opinion wiothout seeing the kid play.

There are more than 180,000 high school athletes in the US right now. There are about 300 players in the NBA, of who a share come from other countries.

Nobody is a sure thing against a 1 in 600 odds.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Sorry for his situation. I did not know that. I suspect many people still think he was a bust because it was completely hidden until well after he had left the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    as opposed to my REAL point (which most posters could grasp) which is if you have to go back 30 years to come up with a list of 6 or so names, that's pretty weak.
    My bad then, it was just that the "very best of the best" little two guards came to mind first.

How about we add...Delonte West, Vinnie Johnson, Cuttino Mobley, Bobby Jackson, Jeff Hornacek, Monta Ellis, Luther Head, Charlie Bell, Dee Brown, John Starks, Nate McMillan, Randy Foye, Nate Robinson, Tony Allen, Antonio Daniels

And with the way perimeter play and speed on the wing is currently being emphasized, I imagine small, lightning-quick SGs are probably on the rise. And of the teams currently starting "small twos", it's interesting that four of them are the Mavs, Heat, Nuggets and Bulls. Phoenix also uses Leandro very often as its "closer" rather than Raja or whoever else.

Look...I have no idea what Eric Gordon is about, but to say a guy who's 6'3" (and 18 years old, so probably still growing) won't make the League as a SG because of his height seems to be overgeneralizing things.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    How about we add...Delonte West, Vinnie Johnson, Cuttino Mobley, Bobby Jackson, Jeff Hornacek, Monta Ellis, Luther Head, Charlie Bell, Dee Brown, John Starks, Nate McMillan, Randy Foye, Nate Robinson, Tony Allen, Antonio Daniels
    So the dude's the next Luther Head? Ok, I can agree with that.

That's different from saying he's the next LaBron, though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    So the dude's the next Luther Head? Ok, I can agree with that.

That's different from saying he's the next LaBron, though.

The original point was that he is better than Tinsley right now, and I believe that to be true. Granted, I also believe that 30+ point guards (including several backups) in the NBA are better than Tinsley, so I guess it's not saying a whole lot.