Thread: Dual Monitor question

Default Dual Monitor question

Anybody got two monitors on one computer?

I have a need to display a lot of stuff on my monitor and was thinking of just having two of 'em. I routinely have multiple browsers open as well as an app or two. I assume the two monitors will act in tandem, i.e. one will be the left side of what I want to call a viewport and the other will the right side. The mouse cursor will slide from one monitor seamlessly to the other monitor, right?

And all I need do is purchase another monitor and install another video card? About 250-300 bucks or so. I'm not playing any games, so I don't need the fastest and best.

OK, what if I had 3 monitors? Would they become left, middle, and right?
    Any other issues? Thanks.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Default Re: Dual Monitor question

I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you what I know. We've got that setup at work and it requires 2 normal 4:3 aspect monitors hooked into a video card that has that feature enabled. I've got a GeForce 6800 Ultra, and I know it's capable of running it that way. What you should be looking for is "dual input", and in the case of nvidia, I believe it's referred to as nView, might be wrong on the name, however. The only other thing to keep an eye on is to make sure your monitor cables match your graphics card input. There are adapters out there to solve any problems, but that's just an added expense.

As for 3 monitors, I'm not sure that's doable. I saw an add-on for your graphics card once that would do like....4 or 6, but I'm pretty sure that the number of monitors is pretty strictly regulated, meaning you can't just add monitors and get more real estate. Every graphics card I've seen supports 2 screens max, except with that one exception, which was going to cost something like $400 on top of the cost of the graphics card or something rediculous.

That's about all I know. As long as you get a graphics card that supports it you should be in good shape with the monitors. You'll need to do some tweaking with the software to enable it, I believe, but that's not too bad. I'd have that setup for gaming here at home, but I goofed and bought a 16:9 monitor, and putting two of those together is a no-no.

Good luck!

I have two monitors hooked up, but it's only been about a week. My video card went bad so I went out and bought a VisionTek Xtreme Gamer edition 1950 pro. It cost $299 at Best Buy.

I didn't really buy it for the dual Monitors, but it has hookups for two, so I hooked two up. It seems to just work like a bigger desktop, so yes the mouse cursor will slide from one monitor to the other seamlessly.

As for three monitors, yes you can hook up three, Windows supports up to ten.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6035523AAgXLXG

You can find two headed cards cheaper than Will's... altho you need to consider how much gaming you do (and what type) to know what will work for you.

You can (of course) install two cards as well. Once the cards are recognized it's all pretty easy (in Win XP anyway). BUT -if installing two cards you also have to consider what slots are available in your computer. IOW... if you only have one AGP (or PCI Express) port then obviously you don't want to get two AGP cards (because one will have no place to connect).

As Eindar said, many (if not all) of the Nvidia cards allow dual capabilites these days BUT they do it via a VGA out and the S Video out (there's also a DVI connector). I think they were more thinking the second monitor would be a TV for these models... altho they do make at least one true dual model with two VG outs.

I recently upgraded a church's Dell to dual display capability. They needed the computer monitor to be a monitor while the church's projector would be 'program'. Since the computer had a built in video card I didn't trust being able to get the new card and it to work together and didn't want to spend hours working with it... plus they had no internet connection so downloading new drivers and researching on the scene was not possible. So I got them an Nvidia dual headed card (2 VGA ports) and just disabled the onboard video. IIRC that card was <100.00
    But I don't know how good of a gamer it is.

It works how you would expect... letting you drag things from your desktop on one to the other. The mouse moves from one to the other. Or certain software will know to assign things to whichever desktop you want it to open. It works the same as if there were two mons. In their case they have software that lets them setup the verses and pics on the preview monitor and then play it on the big screen without anyone in the congregation seeing the 'nuts and bolts' of what the operator is doing on the computer monitor.

My home computer has a regular Nvidia card with one VGA, one S video, and one DVI. I can connect it with the TV as a second monitor and it can work as a 2 desktop system or can clone the two mons (I don't normally do it but I played with it just to see what it could do).

This capability is also known as: Extended desktop.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Two monitors? You kidding me?! Playoffs?! Jesus man, how much money do you got?! ****, I don't even have enough for a single monitor (I've got a pretty sweet typewriter AND I have one of the best Texas Instruments calculators around). And I got minesweeper on it. Damn, two monitors! Wow. I mean, I'm more broke than "Toy" Murphy's nose, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have two monitors hooked up, but it's only been about a week. My video card went bad so I went out and bought a VisionTek Xtreme Gamer edition 1950 pro. It cost $299 at Best Buy.

I didn't really buy it for the dual Monitors, but it has hookups for two, so I hooked two up. It seems to just work like a bigger desktop, so yes the mouse cursor will slide from one monitor to the other seamlessly.

As for three monitors, yes you can hook up three, Windows supports up to ten.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6035523AAgXLXG
    That's actually exactly the item I was thinking about, couldn't remember the name. So, ya, it does 3 instead of the "4 or 6" I was remembering. It's $250, and that's not including the 3 monitors or the graphics card you'll need to run it, although it would be a TRULY impressive setup.

I think what I was getting at is that as you add monitors, you're going to need more hardware. I don't know if you can do this now (I would doubt it), but I can see a time in the future where the dual-input cards, linked together via SLi or Crossfire will allow for you to have up to 4 without external equipment.

At any rate, good luck, and keep us posted.

I run 2 22in wides at work and 2 19in at home. I don't know much about the setup other than having nice video cards, ATI Catalyst controls on both which handle all the settings, but I do know that they make computer life much much MUCH more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the tips guys!
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.