Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

  1. #1

    Default Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    I was thinking when I was watching Kevin Durant in a game this year that "man, if him and Oden both enter this years draft a GM with the first pick would really have to consider Durant over Oden."

    Then Greg even said that Durant should be taken ahead of him should they both enter the draft based on their college performances.

    So I was wondering, if your an NBA GM who do you take number one overall?

    Greg has had a nice freshman year this far, about what I expected. Yes the injury may have slowen him down some but he is still good. Dominate? No but I don't think that should have really been expected of him in his freshamn year. I think it is harder than some people think for freshamn, no matter how big, to come in and really dominate the game.

    But man Kevin Durant has just been a flat out stud. If it wasn't for all of the hype the past two years you would not see nearly has much talk about Greg Oden as you would about Kevin Durant. Durant is dominating like few freshman have. The thing is, I don't think he is playing with many upperclassmen either. To me, that is even more impressive.

    To me, it would come down to what you as a GM perfere in a franchise player. I don't think Oden is never going to score and really be a dominate player offenseively like he will defensively. Kevin Durant will score. He has great size, athletic ability, and skill.

    I think that if i'm a GM, i'd still take Greg Oden. However, I would have to think about Kevin Durant. At the very least I think it is worth discussing that Kevin Durant, with his play this year, has to have some GMs wondering if they should take him if they get the first pick.

    I think that Oden is still the number one player on every draft board, but Durant has made that a debate with his play this year. I don't think it's what Greg has or hasn't done either, it's what Kevin Durant has done.

  2. #2
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    As much as i despise him I'd have to say Oden.

    Big men are hard to find.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  3. #3
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    Chad Ford has an article discussing this very subject today on ESPN. In conclusion he says,

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...had&id=2747932

    CONCLUSION

    While Noah is in the discussion, the debate has boiled down to two guys: Oden and Durant.

    After everything's said, Oden's combination of size, athleticism, upside and position still have most scouts saying that he's a lock as the No. 1 pick.

    As we know, most NBA teams would pick Goliath over David every time.

    But whether Oden will actually turn out to be the best player in the draft is a bigger question mark.

    In fact, Durant has the chance to create a new category of basketball player and redefine the forward position.

    The recent past has some possible parallels to the Oden-Durant dilemma. Some have mentioned the 1984 draft, when Olajuwon was selected over Michael Jordan. (Sam Bowie, whose career was devastated by injuries, was selected No. 2.)

    In that case, the consensus was that a great big man was better than a great two-guard. But in retrospect, do you draft the perennial All-Star center or the guy widely considered the greatest ever to play the game? Should the Rockets have taken talent instead of size?

    But let's look at another parallel. Last week I asked Grizzlies GM Jerry West if he'd rather start a team with Shaquille O'Neal or Kobe Bryant, and his answer was O'Neal. That matches the traditional wisdom of taking the big guy, even though West acknowledged that changes in the NBA have made the backcourt even more critical than the frontcourt in today's game.

    So who should a team pick first?

    If I go with my head, Oden is the obvious choice.

    But if I go with my heart, Durant is the guy.

    And the good thing is, they're both the right choice.
    ---------------------------------------

    I will agree they are both good choices, but I wouldn't say Oden would be the best choice for every team. For instant I could see Milwaukee taking Durant because they already have a nice young center in Andrew Bogut. The same with Orlando and Dwight Howard, and probably Portland with LaMarcus Aldridge.

    I think the Pacers would take Oden hands down because he is a hometown boy. Plus we have JO at PF.

    Atlanta? Them dummies would probably take Durant. I'm kidding, I think they would take Oden. Haha, I just had a thought. Atlanta will probably get the #2 pick and the team before them will take Oden.

    Memphis? I wonder who they would pick if they get the #1 and they don't trade Gasol before the trade deadline.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    I'm a student at UT and have watched Kevin Durant perform in person. I tried to watch as unbiased as possible. The guy needs to gain some strength first off, lots of it, but of course that will come with time. He's very lanky with a huge wingspan. He's got a shaky shot at times, but he's very fast on his drive but i wish he would be a little more aggressive sometimes.

    Bottom line, even as a UT fan, i'd probably pick oden as the #1. Oden WILL turn out to be a stud. Durant... who knows? He's a fantastic player, but i'm not sure how he will pan out in the NBA. I don't see him as a KG player (he just doesn't have that ferociousness) or a T-Mac, but i could see him ending up as a solid player. Bender, injury problems aside, would obviously be the worst case scenario.

  5. #5
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    I'd take Oden, the fact of the matter is, is the guy is still comparable to how great Durant is while playing with his OFF HAND.

  6. #6

    Default No question about it Oden

    Durant can become a very good NBA player, maybe a great one. However
    Oden has the chance, barring injury to be a Shaq like presence in the paint.
    Oden has the body of Ewing, the passing ability of Weber. You can run your offense through him as he is such a good passer and so unselfish. With his injury he has become very, very good with his left hand and once he has full use of both hands he will be unstopable. On top of that he is a great kid.

    I still question if he will make the jump, even though he will be the #1 pick.
    I would not be a bit surprised to see him stay 2 years.

    If he does decide to go Pro, I really hope that the P's make a run at him, even though it would mean giving up JO to get him. He is the one person I think that the fans would accept as part of a 2-3 year rebuilding project.
    He is very popular in Indy and he is someone that the fans could see a light
    at the end of a tunnel. I like JO alot, but if I have a chance to trade JO for Oden, to me it's a no brainer. Future Superstar, hometown kid, that put's
    butts in the seats.

  7. #7
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Default Re: No question about it Oden

    Quote Originally Posted by Strany View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    If he does decide to go Pro, I really hope that the P's make a run at him, even though it would mean giving up JO to get him. He is the one person I think that the fans would accept as part of a 2-3 year rebuilding project.
    I think that's a huge mistake.

    I don't ever see this guy as being a 30-ppg, Hakeem Olajuwon type scorer. Now, he's still young, and who knows how he turns out, but I see him more as an Alonzo Mourning; not necessarily a role player, but a guy who focuses on other things, controlling the boards, clogging the lane, etc.

    He can still be a dominant force, just not in the traditional #1 pick way. And thus if we trade JO for him, and put the future of Indiana squarely on this young mans shoulders, I can't help but feel that casual fans will be dissapointed when he doesn't drop 30 a night. If we had an established scoring option already on the team, someone to take the pressure off and who could be the #1 offensive option on a championship team, then I'd say its a great trade. But that guy is JO, and you're proposing trading him.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    30 per game, maybe not, but if you have watched him, he should easily be 20pts/15bds/4blks.
    He could score 30 per, but he is to unselfish to do that. Everyone seems to think Greg does not have much of a Offensive game, but considering as a freshman he is averaging 16/10/2.5 basically left handed, well I would say thats not to shabby. He does need to improve his low post work some, but the upside is huge. He also has such a natural ability to but the defender on his hip and create passing lanes.

    We won't make a run at him, it's only my wishful pipe dream, but I fell pretty
    confident that we will wish we did in 3 years.

  9. #9

    Default Re: No question about it Oden

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And thus if we trade JO for him, and put the future of Indiana squarely on this young mans shoulders, I can't help but feel that casual fans will be dissapointed when he doesn't drop 30 a night.

    I disagree. This is a city who loved a player that scored 19-22 points a game. Reggie's numbers are not very impressive. And yet, if you went up to a casual fan and asked him for ten bucks for a Reggie Miller statue, I bet they would do it in a second.

    This city can definitly be sold on a guy who averages 20 points, 15 boards and 3 blocks a game with good passing.

    I would trade anything on this team to build around a core of Oden and Granger. I think that would fill up the stands pretty quick.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,257

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    Oden has a chance to become Bill Russell.

    Durant has a chance to become Darius Miles.

  11. #11
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,962

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oden has a chance to become Bill Russell.

    Durant has a chance to become Darius Miles.
    I wouldn't go as far to say Darius, but I fear Durant could become the next Glenn Robinson.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  12. #12
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,773

    Default Re: No question about it Oden

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would trade anything on this team to build around a core of Oden and Granger. I think that would fill up the stands pretty quick.
    In a heartbeat! And then throw Shawne Williams on top of that! With a couple of well-placed veteran players, that team would be scary once they matured!

    Unfortunately, I think Oden brings a Lebron-like excitement to his new franchise, plus I think he'll pass JO's output in the long term (and may not be too far away in his initial years). So, why take on Jermaine's mileage and salary?

  13. #13
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,312

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    Having watched both of them play a little bit, I go with Oden. He has more tools and upside, IMO.

  14. #14

    Default Re: No question about it Oden

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybegood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately, I think Oden brings a Lebron-like excitement to his new franchise, plus I think he'll pass JO's output in the long term (and may not be too far away in his initial years). So, why take on Jermaine's mileage and salary?
    Yes, this would be very tough to work out. It would take the right team to win the lottery and I'm sure we would have to take back a bad salary on top of Murph's and Dunleavy's. But if the door ajar's slightly, to open an opportunity for the Pacers, I hope they bust it down.

  15. #15
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    Joakim Noah is obtainable at about the 5th spot

    :tank: Wizards :tank:
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  16. #16

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    Without a doubt I would take Oden.

    I would see if Oden was limited in any part of his game, but the guy is going to be a stud in the NBA for a long time. He is going to give teams fits trying to defend him, sort of like Shaq when he expanded his offensive game with the Lakers. The only reason anyone is debating this right now is that Durant is playing against college kids and Oden is coming off the hand injury.

    You can find players later in the draft that can do what Durant does. (ok, partially) You are not going to find an Oden like talent outside of the top picks.

    My guess is that Oden stays in school ala Duncan and Durant is the top pick this year.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    oden = drob/duncan/russell while durant = tmac/garnett
    the 1st 3 have rings...tmac and garnett have combined for what? 2 playoff series victories?

    oden dominates the game in ways that don't show up on the stat sheet and makes his teams better and championship contenders. durant puts up the stats while taking plays off, and doesn't take his team to the next level. durant is great, no question, and is the poy so far in college based on stats but texas should not be where they are record wise with such a 'great' player.

    oden is completely underutilized in matta's crappy system. matta has no idea how to use a player like oden and his play/stats are suffering because of it. you put oden on a duke, unc, indiana, a&m with a coach who understands how to use a big like oden and they instantly become the title favorites.

  18. #18
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Greg Oden vs Kevin Durant

    I still wanna see Oden on a team WITHOUT all the talent. Which is basically what he'll have his rookie year in the league.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •