Thread: Indianapolis to announce bid for 2011 Super Bowl

Default Indianapolis to announce bid for 2011 Super Bowl

Indianapolis to announce bid for 2011 Super Bowl

January 30, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- As the Colts chase a Super Bowl title, Indianapolis is pursuing another prize: the chance to host the NFL's title game.

Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson, Gov. Mitch Daniels and other business and community leaders planned a news conference Wednesday to discuss the city's proposed bid for the 2011 Super Bowl.

The city has until April 2 to submit a bid. The process includes securing 27,000 hotel rooms, finding locations for dozens of events and outlining how it would accommodate fans and media attending.

The Super Bowl and the events that go along with it can cost a host city $10 million to $20 million, most of which is raised through contributions from the business sector. City officials met with top business executives in December to solicit financial support.

The Super Bowl would have an economic impact of at least $300 million on the host city, according to Fred Glass, chairman of the city's Capital Improvement Board.

In 2008, the Colts will move into Lucas Oil Field, a retractable dome across from their current RCA Dome home.

The 32 NFL team owners likely will choose the location for the 2011 game at their spring meeting May 21-23 in Nashville. Dallas and Arizona are considered contenders, and New Orleans also has shown some interest.

The Super Bowl has traveled north only three times in its 41-year history, largely due to a limited number of indoor stadiums and winter weather concerns. But NFL officials say Indianapolis' average 31-degree temperature in February doesn't take it out of the running.

Indianapolis bid for the 1992 game, but lost to Minneapolis.

Updated on Tuesday, Jan 30, 2007 6:54 pm EST

Yahoo

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Indianapolis to announce bid for 2011 Super Bowl

If I didn't live in Indiana I'd be with everyone else wanting the SB to be where it's warm and you can party outdoors or on the beach.

Since I live here and it would bring in a billion dollars - good luck!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

as much as id love to see the Super Bowl here i just dont see it happening because most people outside of indiana see indiana as corn fields and farmers still..plus the cold weather doesnt help.

I really hope we get it but i see it ias a long shot sadly
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as much as id love to see the Super Bowl here i just dont see it happening because most people outside of indiana see indiana as corn fields and farmers still..plus the cold weather doesnt help.

Yes that pereception exists in some circles, however you're looking at it through a non-business perspective.

Keep in mind we came close to getting one 20 years ago ! Imagine how much has changed

Indy is already know as a great event city and it has literally been built up and developed for these type of events in mind.

I work downtown in the evenings so I see just about every convention or event come through here. I always here the out-of-towners comment on how they love being able to walk from their Hotel to the Convention Center or the Mall or a Restaurant and not having to step outside once. And how very clean Indy is compared to other cities.

Apparently another factor is 2011 is the next Cold Weather slot in which cities like Indy can be considered, if I am not mistaken.

One of the reasons that the Convention Center is expanding by 2010, Lucas Oil up by 2008 and there a number of large Hotels just being developed or planned to be complete by 2010is to be in better place to host a SB. You don't start those large of projects without knowing you have a good shot.

Irsay and others have eluded to the fact, they have been told by certain Officials , that "we" stand a good chance of getting a SB assuming a new stadium is in place, that was a while back, not sure of the exact wording.

Sure there is no guarantee, and the Dalls Stadium will be complete by '09 I believe, I can still see the NFL giving us a shot. Every year we host the NFL Combine so all the of the NFL "Suits" know what were about, and that may help us as well.

Why Not Us ?

woman without a team

It's 8 friggin' degrees outside. Even I don't want to be here.

It would be nice for the city to have the Super Bowl here, but I don't see it happening ever. Then again I didn't think the Colts would ever make it to the Super Bowl so what do I know?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

one word:

VEGAS
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

Outside of B-town and Indy thats what it is. Lol j/k (kinda)

I can see Indy getting a superbowl because of the new stadium. Plus, the Colts have been one of the premiere teams the last 4-5 years, we deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    one word:

VEGAS
    I'd like to see it in Vegas but, talk about distraction (lol) Miami doesn't have anything on Vegas when it comes to "distraction." The All-Star game is one thing but the superbowl is a whole different thing. It doesn't matter if players show up thinking "I just lost 350,000 in blackjack and spent 100,000 at Scores, i'm so hung over, Damn it's already Saturday." Besides that, I don't know if the league would agree Sam Boyd could host it and if they could, many of the NFL owners would be complaining that someone deserves that revenue, it shouldn't go to a non-NFL city.

Mood

does vegas even have a football stadium ? the only ones i can think of are the university stadiums...
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

The SB should just rotate among the NFL franchises. Yeah... that means someone won't see one for 32 years but what else is new?

Or go with a lottery method using the 32 teams with some protections against teams being able to win within X amount of years (so that if you've had a SB in recent history you won't be in the pool again for Y amount of years).

Or how about having the NFL franshises that meet a certain criteria (IE: seats, rooms, secondary events, etc) that want to apply and pony up the costs of the event (just as they do now) go into a lottery where luck of the draw decides it in the end... not a bias against cornfields, cold weather, or pie.

I believe there's an ice storm in Dallas today. Detroit just held a SB and last I checked it's quite a bit snowier and colder up there than here. Indiana does have cold snaps but I think the average Feb temp is in the 30's.

Besides, we're talking 2011... by that time global warming should be in full swing with temps in the 60's and 70's and some of these warm weather cities will be under water!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Miami, San Diego, and New Orleans should host the Super Bowl, and nobody else.

Warm weather, city life, walkable, big enough capacity and infrastructure, and places you would want to go for a week at the end of January.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they bring the SuperBowl to "cold weather" cities, and I think they should, I think it should be played outside in Soldier Field, Heinz Field, Giants Stadium, and Cleveland Browns Stadium.

For those of us that enjoy slug-fest, win-the-game-in-trenches by a score of 13-10 football, that would be great.

But that's not who the SuperBowl is played for.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    one word:

VEGAS

One Word:

Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    If they bring the SuperBowl to "cold weather" cities, and I think they should, I think it should be played outside in Soldier Field, Heinz Field, Giants Stadium, and Cleveland Browns Stadium.

For those of us that enjoy slug-fest, win-the-game-in-trenches by a score of 13-10 football, that would be great.

But that's not who the SuperBowl is played for.
    I'm with Bball myself - just rotate it between cities - as long as those cities can handle the crowds. Green Bay might have a tough time and some others (Buffalo?). From a football perspective there's no reason why a warm weather or dome team should automatically play the game in a venue that suits them - let the cold weather teams have their day in the snow too.

But that would mean the Super Bowl was actually about the football game. That train left the station a long time ago. It's only about football for the fans and players of the two teams.

And for those including New Orleans in the warm weather category, it's supposed to be in the 50's during the day, 30's at night and rain most of this week.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

One of the criteria is that there must be TWO suitable practice facilities available. We have the Colts complex and ??????? what, yer gonna send em up to Purdue????

8 freaking degrees...NO!

As much as I'd like to see it come here, we don't have enough social life etc for that many people for that many days. Plus what airlines will add the extra flights to Indy? We have what Nothwest Delta and TransAir now....anybody else gonna start new routes here to get everyone here? (ooo we could UPS everyone here )

I'd love to see it here I just don't think it makes sense. Heck, I'd love to see the Olympics here.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Just for reference here are some of the smaller cities that have already hosted at least one SuperBowl within the last 15 years or so.
    Granted most are warm weather cities, but we're basing this off the argument that Indy is too small to host an event of this size.

1982 Pontiac, MI (30 Miles outside of Detroit)
    20 Square Miles
    3,318 people per Square Mile
    (Bloomington 69,291)

Tempe 1996
    40 Square Miles
    3,959 people per Square Mile
    Population 158,62
    ( Ft. Wayne 205,727)

Tampa 1984, 1991, 2000
    Population 303,447
    112 Square Miles
    2708 people pe Square Mile
    (Compare to Pittsburgh 334,563)

Miami
    35.7 Square Miles
    12,501 people per Square Mile

Minneapolis 1992
    Population 382,618
    54.9 Square Miles
    6,970 people per Square Mile
    (Compare to Nashville 545,525)

Jackonsville
    757.7 Square Miles
    971 people per Square Mile

Indy
    361 Square Miles
    2163 People per Square Mile

2000 Census
    Granted Population doesn't tell the whole story, but an interesting reference nonetheless.

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    Just for reference here are some of the smaller cities that have already hosted at least one SuperBowl within the last 15 years or so.
    Granted most are warm weather cities, but we're basing this off the argument that Indy is too small to host an event of this size.

1982 Pontiac, MI (30 Miles outside of Detroit)
    20 Square Miles
    3,318 people per Square Mile
    (Bloomington 69,291)

Tempe 1996
    40 Square Miles
    3,959 people per Square Mile
    Population 158,62
    ( Ft. Wayne 205,727)

Tampa 1984, 1991, 2000
    Population 303,447
    112 Square Miles
    2708 people pe Square Mile
    (Compare to Pittsburgh 334,563)

Miami
    35.7 Square Miles
    12,501 people per Square Mile

Minneapolis 1992
    Population 382,618
    54.9 Square Miles
    6,970 people per Square Mile
    (Compare to Nashville 545,525)

Jackonsville
    757.7 Square Miles
    971 people per Square Mile

Indy
    361 Square Miles
    2163 People per Square Mile

2000 Census
    Granted Population doesn't tell the whole story, but an interesting reference nonetheless.

You're looking at CITY population. City population means nothing when determining how big an area is.

For example. The Miami city population is 362,470 and the Indy city population is 781,870.....as you stated.

But the metro area of Miami is 5.4 million (6th largest in the country). The Indy metro population is 1.64 million (a distant 34th largest metro area).

See how misleading city population is? All city pop measures is the people within city limits. Indy annexed the entire county, so it has huge city limits.

Miami Beach doesn't count within the 362,470 Miami residents. However, it's an integral part of the greater Miami area.

You use the population of Tempe to give the notion that it's a small area, but Tempe is part of the Phoenix metro area, which is the 14th largest in the United States.

It's misleading when people say Indy is the 12th largest city in the country. By city population, it's bigger than Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Denver. But all 4 of those cities of superior metropolitan areas, and have a much larger economic and cultural impact than Indianapolis.

When does Miami bid on the winter Olympics? Obviously you can't have a party atmosphere in the cold climates they keep taking those events and it's time to get them in the sunshine! It's only fair to the fans and followers of the Winter Olympics.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Disclaimer:Just for reference here are some of the smaller cities that have already hosted at least one SuperBowl within the last 15 years or so.
    Disclaimer:
    Ok I do realize I may not have not made my point clear I guess.
    First of all when I say "smaller" cities I meant relatively , meaning here are the smaller "cities" as population defines that have hosted a SB.

By no means did I mean specifically mean smaller than Indy.
    And yes ,I am well aware of the specific metro areas that surround cities like Miami, Tempe etc. And as of 2000 Indy was the 29th largest Metro Area.

I always like to say we are really the largest town that happens to be a city, or the smallest "big" city in the U.S. We are in no way like most Pro Sports Cities I think most know that.

I do know that we continue to host the FFA convention that runs about 50,000 total visitors. Final Four 70-80,000. Now neither of those are the100,000 plus that a SB would bring but it at least gives you an idea of the size of certain events we have been able to host. While you can easily point out countless cities with larger infrastructure. Indy is certainly set up as a great convention or event town.

I know we are not Miami, but we are not Mayberry either.

Why Not Us ?

Miami hot topic: Indy's Super Bowl bid

By Steve Ballard
    steve.ballard@indystar.com

MIAMI - NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell addressed Indianapolis' bid for the 2011 Super Bowl this morning at his annual a pre-Super Bowl news conference.

Goodell said he has had several discussions with Mayor Bart Peterson and regards Indianapolis as a viable host city.

"They're building a tremendous stadium and have got a great community," Goodell said. "I think they have a lot of things they'll present. It's my job to make sure the job is done in a fair and open process and I will do that."

Colts owner Jim Irsay has pledged $1 million to finance the bidding process. Arizona, host of next year's Super Bowl XLII, and Dallas are the other announced contenders
    IndyStar

Just a blurb from the star today

Why Not Us ?

I think Indy has a good shot. It is just as cold in Detroit as it is in Indy, and they have hosted it a couple of times (Pontiac is north of Detroit...but for all practical purposes...it is the Detroit metro area). I think the key thing is having a dome so people don't have to freeze to death. I have seen games in Foxborough and in the Meadowlands, and it gets painfully cold at both locations.

As has been mentioned too, Indy has a good reputation for hosting sporting events. The 500 is one of, if not the largest sporting event crowd in the country.

Make no mistake, it isn't in the top 20 of cities on the preferred list, but with some solid lobbying, and a new stadium, I think Indy has a great shot.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

It may be warmer elsewhere BUT it would be warm and DRY inside Indy's stadium

------

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While in Tucson this weekend, my colleagues had a great suggestion:

The winner of the Super Bowl should be host team for the next season's SuperBowl.

That way, (1) a team gets a "chance" to defend its SuperBowl championship at home (or, in my case, fumbles away that chance during the first eight games of the season )

And, it ensures that the game is played in bad weather occasionally, and that, IMO, is one of the great things about football - the uncertainty of the weather and how that might impact the game.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Guys, we're gonna get it.
    You look at all the other BIG sporting events we throw and the Super Bowl won't bring in as many people as the Indy 500, the Brickyard or even the F1 race. Not to mention, how many Final Fours have been here and the Big Ten Mens Tourney is now permanently here. Heck we even had NBA playoffs going on around the Indy 500. When's the last time Dallas hosted that many big sports events?
    I talked to some Eagles fans at the dome this year and they couldn't say enough nice things about our city!! (I didn't know there were polite Eagles fans though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    While in Tucson this weekend, my colleagues had a great suggestion:

The winner of the Super Bowl should be host team for the next season's SuperBowl.

That way, (1) a team gets a "chance" to defend its SuperBowl championship at home (or, in my case, fumbles away that chance during the first eight games of the season )

And, it ensures that the game is played in bad weather occasionally, and that, IMO, is one of the great things about football - the uncertainty of the weather and how that might impact the game.
    I'm having a hard time finding a problem with that solution. At least a problem that -I'd- have. I can think of a couple of issues the NFL would have tho.

The positive is it fits into the scenario that the NFL already has over other sports- Every game matters. You might be able to recover from a loss to still make the playoffs but that loss might be the loss that decides whether your playoff quest starts (or the conference championship is) at home or on some snowy field of an opposing enemy.

Other sports might end up having one loss decide their playoff fate but it might be months before you realize it and even then it isn't necessarilly any one particular loss you can point to. In the NFL, with 16 games, you know the loss(es) and their impact immediately. You can lose the ability to control your own destiny on opening day.

So go ahead and make the games mean even more... make them mean a potential SB for your city if you can put together a good championship season and then actually earn the right to defend that SB win at home the following season.

--

But would the NFL want to give up on the bidding process cities go thru now (and subsequent competition)? Would a 1 year lead time satisfy the NFL on knowing where a SB would be held and whatever prep and promotion they need to do? (I think they'd argue it isn't but I think they know it could be IF they wanted to make it work)

And can every NFL city handle a SB? Or would there be some minimum requirements in place and if your city couldn't handle the game would the winning team have the ability to choose where they want the next SB played (if it couldn't be at their place)?. IE: Maybe Green Bay wouldn't be allowed to host due to logistics but since they are the defending champion (in this scenario) they'd be allowed to pick from other cities who meet the requirements. So maybe Arizona, Chicago, Indy, and Cincy make pitches to GB and GB chooses Indy (with the roof open) as the home for the following SB.

But that gets you to another issue... Money...
    In the above scenario Indy (the city and stadium) would be reaping the rewards of Green Bay's spoils. They could even find themselve's (Colts) playing at home in a Superbowl that they didn't even earn the rights to (altho that scenario is possible in the current SB selection process as well). So GB would be giving them a gift. But the money issue seems to be the biggest hurdle to me.

But then if cities can make pitches to GB for 'their' SB rights then maybe that fills GB's coffers enough to satisfy them.

Could the NFL only allow this type of situation to teams that don't meet minimum requirements though... or would that mean a city might prefer to accept some other city's money to buy the rights to 'their' SB? IE- Let's say Miami wins the SB so they have hosting rights for the next season (and obviously have the logistics covered). But instead of making plans to host it, they put the rights up for bid and see if anyone wants to give them enough $$$ to buy it away? Is that something the NFL wants to see happen? Couldn't that alienate fans and put the NFL in a bad light?

Those are off the top of my head. I'm sure the more I think about the idea the more unrealistic it seems.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden