Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freddy Jones for Backup PG

Default Freddy Jones for Backup PG

Who's with me? He hardly needs to run the offense, since Johnson never does.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Freddy Jones for Backup PG

Yes, but Johnson has this ability to SHOOT the ball....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

There's something that, before this season, I NEVER thought I'd see in print.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

3rdBattboy

Freddy Jones has combo guard written all over him. Hes not a true pg, however he is unselfish, hes excellent at getting into the pain and dishing to our big guys,decent ball handler just can't shoot the ball. Hes also one of the top defenders on this team on the perimiter. If he ever learns to shoot the ball his game will take off.

Freddy Jones has combo guard written all over him. Hes not a true pg, however he is unselfish, hes excellent at getting into the pain and dishing to our big guys,decent ball handler just can't shoot the ball. Hes also one of the top defenders on this team on the perimiter. If he ever learns to shoot the ball his game will take off.

I agree with all of that.

If Isiah were still the coach, I think you would see Freddie at point guard, but now that I think about it with isiah Thomas you might have seen Pollard play some point guard. .

I think in the future you might very well see Freddie play some point but not this year. He is still an inexperienced player, and it is easier to learn just one position, plus Rick is the type of coach that would want to try him at point guard in training camp.

However, usually AJ and Freddie are in the game together, and AJ brings the ball up the floor but Freddie often runs a pick and roll or he ends up creating more offense than AJ does

I agree with all of that.

If Isiah were still the coach, I think you would see Freddie at point guard, but now that I think about it with isiah Thomas you might have seen Pollard play some point guard.

I have always been a freddie supporter, and I really think he is a valuable asset to this team. He is able to drive to the basket, and once he develops a shot, he will be good. Remember, he is playing his first REAL playing time. Last year, he didn't play.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I think in the future you might very well see Freddie play some point but not this year. He is still an inexperienced player, and it is easier to learn just one position, plus Rick is the type of coach that would want to try him at point guard in training camp.
    Rick had Jones spend all of his minutes at the point for the summer leagues.

For the preseason games, we split time between Brewer and Omar Cook, trying to see who we'd keep.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yes, but Jones has the ability to DRIBBLE...

At the beginning of the season, I'd have said that Johnson's definately a better 3-point shooter than Freddy. Inside the arc, though, I like Freddy's chances better, because he can get into the lane a lot better.

But look at the stats since the new year. AJ is 4-15 on 3FGs in January, while Freddy is 3-10. Doesn't look like a big difference to me...

I agree that to be the ideal backup combo guard, he needs an outside shot that's decent or better. But how good does he need to be to be better than what we have now?

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't care what the statistics say on that one.

Freddie Jones cannot shoot a jumpshot. It's one of the ugliest shots I have ever seen...Almost as ugly as Shaq shooting free throws in 2000.

I kind of have my Bender belief's on this thought.

My thought is let's let Fred learn a spot on the floor & then try & get him to do other things. Right now he is a two & that is where he should spend his time. We have three (3) backup point guards if we need them. If we were short in that catagory or something I would be ok with this but since it's not something we have to have I say let Fred play the two spot.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

That is exactly right. Carlisle's not gonna go for a mid-season experimentation - not with a winning team.

If the Pacers get a 7-game losing streak going, like the Pistons have the last two years, it could happen but otherwise that'll wait until next fall.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

But look at the stats since the new year. AJ is 4-15 on 3FGs in January, while Freddy is 3-10. Doesn't look like a big difference to me...
    What you're leaving out is that for the former it's a slump and for the latter it's a streak.

The thought of Freddie at point this year makes my liver shiver. He does not have point guard skills offensively, although I will admit he would be an upgrade at the defensive end.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know where I'd like to see Freddy play?

On another team.....

Yeah, we haven't really gotten to see Freddy play much, but you iknow how you look at a player and you can see something special in him.

I don't see that with Fred.

Yeah, he may get ya excited with a flashy dunk....
    Among our young guys, Bender is the player that I put in this category. Yes, I know. You can't coach height. But Bender is the player who occassionally shows the flashy dunk and sometimes the spectacular block on help defense. But he also shows no signs of really "knowing" how to play either end of the floor.

I think you're short-changing Freddie a bit. Unlike Bender, he knows how to play the defensive end of the court. He's actually quite accomplished defensively, proving to be a stopper on the opposing PG or SG on occassion. Defense.... that's half the battle right there.

Freddie also seems to have grasped the offensive sets. Just as important he is a very quick player with a fairly decent handle who is capable of exploding to the basket. As Pacer fans, we can acknowledge that this team has lacked this ability through the years.

Freddie is not tall, but does have exceptional hops. I think most would agree that the biggest hole in his game is his ability to consistently hit the mid-range and longer jumper.

After only 1-1/2 seasons and only a $1.5M salary (only $2.3M next season), I don't think it would be asking too much to wiat a while to see if we can better develop his perimeter shooting abilities before making the decision to package him in a trade. Particularly considering that he is already an accomplished man-on defender.

I really like Freddie a lot as a player and it has nothing to do with his occassional spectatular dunk, that means nothing to me.

He is exceptional defensively, especially when you consider this is his first year playing. He defends Baron Davis and Iverson and several other quick players better than anyone else on the Pacers.

Freddie is also very good at making the scoring pass, he can create for his teammates.

I also like his demeanor on the court, he never changes his expressions.

he also has physical and mental toughness that I like.

But is shooting is horrible, really bad. If he can become an average shooter, I would have no problem at all with him being the stating shooting guard of the future. ( I don't know if he'll ever be an average shooter though)

I have confidence that fred can become a decent shooter. In college, he didn't really shoot all that much. He ended up driving past people easily and getting to the rim. So he hasnt had much practice. But as shown this year, he can hit his FTs. I think he's 4th on this team (behind Reg, AC, and AJ). And his 3 pt shot isn't bad. He was on a tear in the preseason, right? So I don't think that he cannot be a good shooter. It takes time. Remember, Jason Kidd wasn't all that great when he first came. But he got better. I believe he can improve, so I have no worries.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I don't mean to Monday morning quarterback, but look at who we passed up immediately following drafting Fred: Kareem Rush, Juan Dixon, Jiri Welsh, Curtis Borshcart (Man, that one haunts me a bit. That kid might have ade a GREAT Pacer.), Qyntel Woods.
    Not a big fan of Fred myself, but that list hardly makes me regret picking him. Don't think any of those players would be helping us much more.

..Curtis Borchardt though? Hope you meant Carlos Boozer or something.

Banned

You know where I'd like to see Freddy play?

On another team.

I realize that it is bad manners to say this, but that is really an ignorant viewpoint.

Don't you realize that Carlisle is a defense-first coach, and this is a defense-first team? Freddie is one of the very best defenders on one of the very best teams in the league.

Whether you want to believe it or not, he has a lot to do with the Pacers' very good record. Sure, he's a 15 minute-per-game player and he doesn't score a lot, but what he gives the team is a chance to rest the starters while actually PICKING UP the level of defense that the other team has to deal with.

Very seldom does the man he guards score very much....if at all. Freddie is very valuable. If you take a more informed look at the situation -- and not just look at the shooting percentages and scoring averages -- you could understand that.

I'd take Freddie any day over Rush, or Welsch or Dixon. It's not even close.

During the draft, I wanted Welsch. I knew he had PG skills, SG range, and SF size. I still feel that out of the picks surrounding Jones, Welsch will be the steal. I figured we'd draft Rush, which I'm glad we didn't. Is there really any difference between him and Ron Mercer, other than Mercer has scored 20ppg in a season? Woods had too much baggage for me to consider. It would disgust me if we turned into the JailBlazers. Even RonRon is considered to be a good person, even if his rage gets the better of him sometimes

I think Jones was a good pick for a team that was thin at both PG and SG and needed a slasher. And we're still thin at SG, so who knows? Finally, when praying for Fred Jones, keep Bobby Jackson in mind.

Enjoy your time at PD!

why would you bump this?

I dont remember having such faith in AJ..... guess I'm too smart for my own good

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why would you bump this?

I dont remember having such faith in AJ..... guess I'm too smart for my own good
    I meant to start a new topic, but I forgot. So here goes:

What did everyone think of Fred at backup PG tonight? While he wasn't wonderful, I thought he was an upgrade over Gill...

Enjoy your time at PD!

Any random pacemate would be an upgrade over Gill.

And Freddy still has the very bad habit of driving into traffic and leaving his feet before he decides what to do.

I think Gill could be a solid 3rd PG in the NBA, if he would stop trying to make the pretty pass and just make a good pass. Every time he makes a one handed pass (which is waaay too often) it goes flying out of court or to the opponent.

Similar to the benching that Tins recieved when Carlisle first arrived in Indy, except I dont know if Gill can get any deeper down the bench right now.