Thread: Tbird analysis: Can we use Tinsley differently to get more out of him?

Default Tbird analysis: Can we use Tinsley differently to get more out of him?

Those of you who read this board know basically Im not a big Jamal Tinsley fan, due to his lack of ball pressure and defensive ability in general. However, even his biggest critics have to admit than at times JT can be a very effective offensive player, and when the Pacers get good point guard play, they become much more difficult to beat. The question however is this: With Tinsley finally being more healthy this year than ever before, why isnt he playing better, and what could the coaching staff do to make him more effective? Im going to list a few suggestions, please feel free to add your thoughts.

1. Use him in the low post much more often. The Pacers only have one true post up option offensively in Jermaine Oneal. We definitely need a way to play through the low post when JO isnt in the game, and if Ike is ineffective or not playing. Tinsley can be this player I believe. With his wide body and strength, along with clever passing skills in the low post, I think RC can design some things for Tinsley to isolate other point guards on the low block. As our best overall passer, JT most likely wont be doubled, so he will be facing only a smaller, defensively inexperienced guard on the block. Much like Mark Jackson used to be able to do, I think this is an offensive weapon RC can use against most teams in the league. This is even more likely to be effective now because we have extra people who can feed the post, an extra shooter in Murphy, and it also hurts the opponents running game since their point guard is trapped inside and not in position for an outlet pass.

2. Use Tinsley with Murphy or JO in screen/roll situations from the wing areas. JT isnt good at the top screen/roll, but from the side, JT and his ability to pass backwards while going to the middle of the floor can be effective. One of our early games in the season at MSG against the Knicks, JT had a monster game (2nd half especially) running these type plays with Harrington as a screener for him. RC can go back into the archives and pull that tape, and figure out a way to play offense against some weaker screen/roll defending teams.

3. Cut back his minutes slightly, and play him in shorter bursts. I think Tinsley is more effective playing about 24-28 minutes, which is about what he gets now, but Id like to see him play in slightly smaller increments, so he can expend himself more defensively when he is in. As Tinsley gets into uncharted territory as far as the season's total minutes played goes, I think its key for RC to monitor him and make sure he doesnt wear down.

4. This may just be me, but I think Tinsley looks heavier to me than I remember. Now, that may be intentional, possibly he is a player that tends to lose weight and strength through the year. But to me, he looks too heavy and Id like to see him lose about 15 pounds or so....maybe he'd gain a little quickness that way.

5. This last one is a lot of psychology, and I may be totally wrong but here it goes: I think Tinsley plays tight, and presses too much when things arent going well for him personally. This explains why he has that annoying tendency to try and score himself right after his man scores on him. Its possible that RC may need to try and play some mental games with him to get him to play better. Now, itll be up to Rick, Donnie, and Larry to figure out what makes Tinsley tick. Maybe it needs to be a demotion, or maybe he needs to be shown some love in public (praise thru the press)...I dont know. But some players respond in different ways to different techniques, and it appears to me that Tinsley is begging to be coached in some way, either with the carrot or the stick.

OK, those are my thoughts on how to improve JT and use him better....what are yours?

Just my opinion, as always.

Tbird

Default Re: Tbird analysis: Can we use Tinsley differently to get more out of him?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, those are my thoughts on how to improve JT and use him better....what are yours?
    Honestly, I think the main tactic that could work is to make him come off the bench. He needs to have something to prove. His best time on the court this year has all revolved around "proving people wrong". Like when he was ill, and wanted to show people that he was tough. He looked amazing that night.

As much as I hate to say it, he acts as if there's a sense of entitlement to his role on the team. He unquestionably can play with passion, and has demonstrated leadership level *abilities* on the court this season (wouldn't say that he has a leadership personality). He just needs to be reminded that a starting position should be an earned role.

Default Re: Tbird analysis: Can we use Tinsley differently to get more out of him?

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, I think the main tactic that could work is to make him come off the bench. He needs to have something to prove. His best time on the court this year has all revolved around "proving people wrong". Like when he was ill, and wanted to show people that he was tough. He looked amazing that night.

As much as I hate to say it, he acts as if there's a sense of entitlement to his role on the team. He unquestionably can play with passion, and has demonstrated leadership level *abilities* on the court this season (wouldn't say that he has a leadership personality). He just needs to be reminded that a starting position should be an earned role.

I wouldnt mind Tinsley coming off the bench, but that would open up some more questions about the rotations, and it might be counterproductive to our new found chemistry. I personally still love the possibilities of the Daniels at PG "jumbo" lineup Ive talked so much about on here.

Since its unlikely Tinsley will be benched at the beginning of the game, and its clear he is going to play significant minutes, Im more interested in hearing and figuring out what the staff can do to get him to be more effective and efficient.