Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iam Thompson on SI.com ---Donnie Walsh interview

Default Iam Thompson on SI.com ---Donnie Walsh interview

Read it at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...5/spurs/4.html

Here's an excerpt:

• On changing the personality of his team:
    "When players don't fit together, it's going to affect the attitude. If guys are trying to do the same things, that's not going to work. Al wants to shoot the ball and he wants to post up, and that's OK. But we've got Jermaine who we're going to post up. In the long run didn't think they were going to fit together.
    "They were friends, very close friends, so I think they didn't want to acknowledge it. But it was always going to be there, the feeling that one is holding the other back.''

What's hard for me to deal with is that DW matter of factly discusses AL's 'faults', i.e. why AL didn't work out.

YET, he was the GM when AL was with the Pacers previously. Was he completely clueless as to AL's game (then and with the Pacers) or did he anticipate some miraculous transformation? Seems like DW and LB did much research (NOT) and pondered long and hard (NOT) before giving up a precious 2007 #1 for AL.

For this alone DW needs to be relieved of his duties.

Can we get the owner to read this quote?

Bird can always explain away his part by claiming that he spent a good deal of the year SCOUTING in Europe, hoping to dig up a few more jems (we know how that worked out).

Default Re: Iam Thompson on SI.com ---Donnie Walsh interview

V_D_G, give it up man.

No one knows how good that pick is gonna be. And in the long run, bringing Al here was used to get other players that we could not have gotten without him.

And I'm very sure Donnie is saying this in response to Al's criticism to the team.

So get over it on the pick.

Your harping on the pick is getting tiring.

Losing the 1st pick is really not that huge of a blow. We're gonna make the playoffs, so the pick we'll be in the mid-teens. Building a team through the draft is what the Bobcats and Hawks try to do.

We have Granger and Ike both in their 2nd year, Shawne Williams in his rookie year, and a relatively young Marquis Daniels. Plus we still have our big project David Harrison. (Rawle Marshall, Orien Greene are 2 other young guys we have on the roster.) Not too many teams can boast that type of young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's hard for me to deal with is that DW matter of factly discusses AL's 'faults', i.e. why AL didn't work out.

YET, he was the GM when AL was with the Pacers previously. Was he completely clueless as to AL's game (then and with the Pacers) or did he anticipate some miraculous transformation? Seems like DW and LB did much research (NOT) and pondered long and hard (NOT) before giving up a precious 2007 #1 for AL.

For this alone DW needs to be relieved of his duties.

Can we get the owner to read this quote?

Al's game was much different in his previous stint, as was Jermaine's. Plus, Al wasn't a starter, so their games didn't really take anything away from each other. It's as simple as that.

What is that I hear? It sounds like a record, only broken.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Firstly, can we all stop with the "Fire Donnie Walsh" brigade? Whether you want him gone or not, it would be a PR disaster to fire him when this is likely his last season anyway. It's not gonna happen, so please stop asking for it.

Secondly, as was stated already, Al was a different player the second time around and was not previously a starter here. Al was also acquired for PR reasons, since he's a fan favorite. Al punched his own ticket out of town with this selfishness. Again.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Yeah

We took on a ton of salary and we're gonna be our typical 6-8 seed and have very little life in the playoffs. Life is good for the Pacers. (Hell, we can do this quicksand thing for the next 10 years or so.)

And just when we maybe had a shot to get someone good in the draft (yeah, even in the teens) we had to give it up. Not like we can get someone like David Lee in the teens. (Oh yeah, he was picked in the '20's). The good thing about the draft is that anything can happen ---unless, of course, you're not in it ---ask Minnesota.

I suggest, that TPTB merely needed to watch the Hawks play to realize that AL's game was not 'portable'.

Let's see if this becomes an issue come draft day.

And let's hope that Diogu develops into a star (Williams, too) or we can just go with the status quo ---mediocrity.

Yeah

We took on a ton of salary and we're gonna be our typical 6-8 seed and have very little life in the playoffs. Life is good for the Pacers. (Hell, we can do this quicksand thing for the next 10 years or so.)

And just when we maybe had a shot to get someone good in the draft (yeah, even in the teens) we had to give it up. Not like we can get someone like David Lee in the teens. (Oh yeah, he was picked in the '20's). The good thing about the draft is that anything can happen ---unless, of course, you're not in it ---ask Minnesota.

I suggest, that TPTB merely needed to watch the Hawks play to realize that AL's game was not 'portable'.

And let's hope that Diogu develops into a star (Williams, too) or we can just go with the status quo ---mediocrity.
    You know, I hear there's still room on the Knick's bandwagon... maybe you should grab a seat before they fill up.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Yeah

Lateteen 1st's aren't that valuable. If there's someone available at that point that Walsh and Bird like, a trade wouldn't exactly be difficult.

Aside from the original poster, there's actually a lot of good information in that article. We could probably mine it for a while. For example:

Then I looked at Al and Jermaine: We were playing Al at small forward and it felt like Al had to play at power forward, but when we put Jermaine at center we weren't big enough.

"Then when I saw what I could get from Mully, I felt that Murphy would be a better fit at power forward than Al.''
    So he considers JO to be the center and Murph to be the power forward.

I thought this was pretty funny:
    "Not that I'm ultra-secret, but at least in this trade the reason it was kept that quiet is pretty simple. I was dealing with Chris Mullin, he was dealing with me and Larry Bird was the only other person on the planet who knew about it. And those are the most closemouthed people you'll find on this planet.''
    And this was big:
    "I'm glad we're away from just walking the ball down, throw it in the post, everybody tries to wait until somebody double-teams and then throw the ball out.
    You and me both Donnie!!

Ehh, just read the article.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

"Valuable 2007 draft pick"?

With last week's trade, the team will improve to the point that the draft pick is going to be in the high teens or low twenties.

Unless a player of Granger's caliber comes tumbling, that rarely generates a rotation player on a playoff caliber team, even in a "deep" draft.

Al > 1st round draft pick
    Diogu > 1st round draft pick
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    "Valuable 2007 draft pick"?

With last week's trade, the team will improve to the point that the draft pick is going to be in the high teens or low twenties.

Unless a player of Granger's caliber comes tumbling, that rarely generates a rotation player on a playoff caliber team, even in a "deep" draft.

Al > 1st round draft pick
    Diogu > 1st round draft pick

Very true and Pacers recent history shows that if a player they really like does fall down past 18 or 20 the pacers will make a trade to get the specific player

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Like Tinsley?

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Yeah

You make no sense at all. On one hand you say TPTB are stupid, but then you assume they are capable of making a fantastic pick at #20.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Like Tinsley?

Which could have been Boris Diaw! Booooo!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    What is that I hear? It sounds like a record, only broken.

Someone needs to tell this guy to shut up about that 2007 first rounder or get banned or something, because I think he's really gotten on about EVERYBODY's nerves rightnow.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Listen, we all probably want that draft pick back, but whatever - past is past. We'll see how things play out.

I hope we haven't lost out on that hidden jem. I love jems. Jems are shiny. Oh, that's right. It's spelled GEM!

I know the answer........: v_d_g is in TELEMARKETING!!!!!!!!

The only way you can explain the repetition
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Hasn't Donnie Walsh been responsible for something like 17 playoff teams in his 20 seasons as GM? I realize there's no championship to show for it, but I'd much rather deal with the heartbreak of a playoff series loss than having to realize our season's over after 15 games.

So Donnie is taking credit for all of Bird's work?

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    Hasn't Donnie Walsh been responsible for something like 17 playoff teams in his 20 seasons as GM? I realize there's no championship to show for it, but I'd much rather deal with the heartbreak of a playoff series loss than having to realize our season's over after 15 games.
    Damn right. It has been a long fun run with Donnie, I will hold no grudge against him. He may not be perfect, he may not have gotten us a championship, but he has given us a competitiive team for many years. A lot of fans would trade for that.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Different league same problem. Terrel Owens has been a problem to many organizations. After an arbitrator allowed TO to be a free agent the trade went as followed:

"The Eagles sent a fifth-round draft pick to Baltimore and defensive end Brandon Whiting to San Francisco. The Ravens get back the second-round pick they sent to the 49ers for Owens." (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/7180470)

Whiting if you recall was nothing. He was often injured. He only played 5 games with the 49ers.

Whiting for TO? Seems fair. Let me ask you VDG. Is essentialing trading Artest and a #1 pick for Al (in how you summarize 2 years of NBA damage control) worse than that? I mean I have more things to be angry for than this. For what Artest dealt to this franchise, where we are at is impressive. Is the TO trade an apples and oranges situation?

LAtrell Sprewell was traded to the KNicks for Starks, Child, and Terry Cummings in 99

John Starks averaged under 15 points for the GSWs on 37% for the field and 31% from 3pt.

Chris Mills never played over 61 games in a season for the Warriors. His % was worse than Starks

Terry Cummings also had a great lock-out season (greatest since the early 90s) but the folloing year was his last. He played 77 games with the Warriors.

Were they worth Spree? Look at the stats for the Spree and the Knicks? http://www.nba.com/playerfile/latrel...ell/index.html. Spree was electric in the 99 playoffs averaging 26 points against the Spurs, seemily the only Knick playing that series.

What is the point? Damage control. GSW were better off without him. Why didn't they fire PJ? Spree seemed worth more than him? How about we reward the felons in prison and see where our country goes (in a sense we do; free college ed; free cable; air condition)

If you want to stack this up so plainly then you are blind to the nature of Pro sports. The Pacers got a steal in my book. And they are making getting rid of Artest even more brillant as he whines in Sacremento. We have team players and believe me the mid-round 1st pick is worth Diogu.

Good read.

Don't feed the trolls.

The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Good read.

Don't feed the trolls.

The End.
    No kidding.

You guys happen to remember the "Gong Show"?

Well, congratulations VDG. You just got "gonged" by me.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Just think, with that pick the Pacers could have drafted the next Chris Jackson...err, Pervis Ellison...I mean Scott Haskin...oh wait...

In other words, you never freaking know, even when all the scouts are 100% certain. We do know that the team has a very promsing set of frontline picks with Ike, Granger and Shawne. WTF does this team need with more young, promising talent now? Even the vets are pretty young.

Maybe the focus should be on turning the future stars into present stars rather than acquiring more future stars.