Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59

Thread: All Star Starters announced

  1. #26
    RaptorsFan
    Guest

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you register just to post that?
    I've been lurking for a while, but that post compelled me to finally register.

  2. #27
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lmao @ Steve Nash not starting
    Right now, the two leading MVP candidates are Nash and Dirk, and neither is starting.

    Guessing Dirk gets moved into the starter spot and they play Timmy at "center."

  3. #28
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorsFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been lurking for a while, but that post compelled me to finally register.
    Fair enough. Agree that the "nimrod" thing was out of line, although I don't think Quis meant it like you took it.

    When you said "Bosh got in on his own merit", though, I must admit I thought "Well, he's the only one!"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #29
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    East

    Shaq
    Chris Bosh
    LBJ
    D Wade
    Gilbert Arenas!!!!

    West

    Yao (won't play)
    Tim Duncan
    KG
    T-Mac
    Kobe
    Howard
    JO
    Lebron
    Wade
    Arenas (because his offense has been really efficient and his team wins when he takes over like that.)

    JO would be in over Howard IMO simply because the teams have played already and JO had great games vs Howard in the wins. JO is putting up 20/10 AND leading in blocks and probably close to leading in charges taken.

    Probably the top 2 MVP candidates, MAJOR aspects of the 2 winningest teams (and teams running away from the pack even), and neither one gets voted in. Stupid.

    Yao
    Duncan
    Dirk
    Kobe
    Nash

  5. #30
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    ALL STAR voting is a joke. It is purely a popularity contest. JO without a doubt should start over BOSH. BOSH is good, but JO is better!

  6. #31
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Howard should be starting over shaq, no doubts about it....

    and Starting Kobe and T-Mac in the back court.... ahhh what we thinking


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  7. #32
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    All Star voting is for the fans. People wanna see Bosh, let them see Bosh. And Shaq is gonna start til he retires. Frankly, I'm fine with that. I'd rather see Diesel acting a clown on the bench during an exhibition than watch half these guys do anything. He's always good for one attempt at a coast-to-coast. Generally entertaining.

    JO, Howard, Nash and Dirk will all be there, so it's not a big deal. Nash said he doesn't even wanna really go anyway. I doubt he plays more than 15 minutes or so. DWade and Kobe can't be very eager to spend their days off playing basketball either.

    Half the people who vote for this stuff don't really follow basketball anyway, they just vote for the players from their home town. The All-NBA Teams are the things that have lasting significance in my eyes.

  8. #33
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,582

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even worse is a soon-to-be 3-time MVP not getting the starting nod (Nash).

    Fans are idiots.

    Btw, where the hell did Arenas come from? Not that he doesn't deserve it, but he must have gotten a major rush of votes at the last minute.


    Nash winning THREE MVP's in a row is just as big as a travesty.

  9. #34
    RaptorsFan
    Guest

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    I'm wondering why my post was deleted, but Quis is free to colour all Canadians as "nimrods." I don't see how my post was anymore instigative than his. Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

  10. #35

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Chris Bosh got voted in because an entire country of NBA fans voted for him (Canada), just like Yao (China).

  11. #36
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nash winning THREE MVP's in a row is just as big as a travesty.
    That mentality should not keep him from winning it this year (but it will). He's won it twice, and his numbers this year are BETTER THAN EVER. AND his team is neck-and-neck with Dallas for the best in the league. He deserves it now more than ever.

  12. #37

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    J.O. should be starting over Bosh. He's the better player on the better team. Of course these are the same Canadians nimrods who got Vince Carter voted in over Michael Jordan, so what can you do?

    Over washed up 3 times retired Michael Jordan, yes.

  13. #38
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorsFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm wondering why my post was deleted, but Quis is free to colour all Canadians as "nimrods." I don't see how my post was anymore instigative than his. Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.
    Though I will be fair to see that I missed that part in Quis' post and go re-visit that, but I was more cought up in you using profanity in your post, something that is for a reason on most alike words "prohibited". making it into one word seem to have helped, it will be altered though.

    And taken care of.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  14. #39
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    I'd rather watch Arenas than Billups in the all-star game.

  15. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All Star voting is for the fans. People wanna see Bosh, let them see Bosh. And Shaq is gonna start til he retires. Frankly, I'm fine with that. I'd rather see Diesel acting a clown on the bench during an exhibition than watch half these guys do anything. He's always good for one attempt at a coast-to-coast. Generally entertaining.

    JO, Howard, Nash and Dirk will all be there, so it's not a big deal. Nash said he doesn't even wanna really go anyway. I doubt he plays more than 15 minutes or so. DWade and Kobe can't be very eager to spend their days off playing basketball either.

    Half the people who vote for this stuff don't really follow basketball anyway, they just vote for the players from their home town. The All-NBA Teams are the things that have lasting significance in my eyes.
    I'm in the same boat you are. I think the fans should be voting for the starters. The only issues I see are when the fans vote someone in as a starter who wouldn't make the game otherwise (and there's one example this year, Shaq.)
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  16. #41
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,582

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That mentality should not keep him from winning it this year (but it will). He's won it twice, and his numbers this year are BETTER THAN EVER. AND his team is neck-and-neck with Dallas for the best in the league. He deserves it now more than ever.


    No one deserves 3 straight MVP's. Hell, Jordan never got 3 straight MVPS (87, 91, 92, 96, 98).

    Giving him 3 straight MVP's is basically a slap in the face to the other great players in the league. Is he that much better than everyone else where he deserves to win 3 straight MVP's?

    05 I pick Shaq, last year I pick Kobe (I guess being the first to average 35 since MJ in 88 isn't good enough), this year I'd go with Arenas or Wade so far.

    I'd concede one of those to him, but 3? That's ridiculous. Giving him 3 in a row is basically saying that he is at a superior level to the other elite players in the league. He is not. That's a slap in the face to guys like Lebron, Dirk, Kobe, etc, guys who have busted their a**es for the last few years, but have never won the award.

    Hell, the Mavs got to the finals 2 years after he left with Jason Terry at the PG.

  17. #42
    RaptorsFan
    Guest

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Though I will be fair to see that I missed that part in Quis' post and go re-visit that, but I was more cought up in you using profanity in your post, something that is for a reason on most alike words "prohibited". making it into one word seem to have helped, it will be altered though.

    And taken care of.
    What profanity did I use? I quite honestly don't recall using any profanities at all in that post. If I did, I apologize, and would request that you put my post back up and edit out the word in question like you did for Quis, so people like FlavaDave can see the point I was trying to make in the post and reconsider their misguided views.

  18. #43
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over washed up 3 times retired Michael Jordan, yes.
    But even if he wasn't one of the best 5-7 guards in the League that year, the fans wanted to watch MJ and he responded with one of the more memorable All Star games in recent memory.

    I dunno, I just see it as entertainment more than an honor.

    If you really want to be recogonized for your achievements, prove you're one of the Top 15 players in the League and get yourself voted onto the All-NBA squad.

  19. #44
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you really want to be recogonized for your achievements, prove you're one of the Top 15 players in the League and get yourself voted onto the All-NBA squad.
    So Nash and Dirk arent top 10 players in the league then?

    And TMac, Shaq and Bosh are top 15?
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  20. #45
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Nash and Dirk arent top 10 players in the league then?

    And TMac, Shaq and Bosh are top 15?
    No...Nash and Dirk are of course. And they will both be 1st Team All-NBA guys.

    That was my point, there's a big difference between being All-NBA and being an All-Star. To me, one is an honor for an achievement, the other is a popularity contest. One is about your legacy/historic standing in this League, the other is about entertainment.

    The quintessential example here is always Vince. Check his page on basketball-reference. Counting this year, he's an 8-time All Star...but as far as All NBA teams, he doesn't even have as many as Mitch Richmond (5 All-NBA teams, 6 All-Star games) Chris Mullin (4 All-NBA teams, 4 All Star games), Mark Price (4 All-NBA teams, 4 All Star games) Jermaine O'Neal (3 All-NBA teams, 5 All Star games) or even Penny Hardaway (3 All-NBA teams, 4 All-Star games).


    And while I'm certain VC will make more All Star game rosters, I highly doubt he'll ever make another All-NBA team. And I'm fine with that. Because even though Vince Carter is by no means historically great, he is unequivocally historically entertaining.

  21. #46

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorsFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What profanity did I use? I quite honestly don't recall using any profanities at all in that post. If I did, I apologize, and would request that you put my post back up and edit out the word in question like you did for Quis, so people like FlavaDave can see the point I was trying to make in the post and reconsider their misguided views.

    So you think that fans voting in non-Toronto Canada ignored the fact that Chris Bosh was playing on a Canadian team when voting? Or do you think that there aren't NBA fans in Canada outside of Toronto?

    Do you agree that Yao & TMac get more votes than they otherwise would because of China?

  22. #47
    RaptorsFan
    Guest

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you think that fans voting in non-Toronto Canada ignored the fact that Chris Bosh was playing on a Canadian team when voting? Or do you think that there aren't NBA fans in Canada outside of Toronto?

    Do you agree that Yao & TMac get more votes than they otherwise would because of China?
    Yao and T-Mac and Chris Bosh are totally different scenarios. The Yao and T-Mac thing is obvious because guys like Shane Battier and David Wesley finish near the top as well. As for your view on Canadians voting for Bosh. Why is TJ Ford is nowhere to be seen? He has so few votes he doesn't even show up on the voting results. Same for Morris Peterson. Steve Nash couldn't even crack the top 3 in the West with his Canadian support. You'd think the Canadians that you claim vote en masse for Bosh would be voting for these players too.

    You definitely overstate Canada's view on Bosh too. 80% of Canadians probably have no idea who he is. 90% probably couldn't pick him out of a police lineup. He certainly is not held in the same regard in Canada as Yao is in China. Outside of Toronto, where Bosh is immensely popular, as any star basketball player is in his home city would be, he's relatively anonymous.

    I would love it if you could produce any evidence whatsoever to back up your claims of voting irregularites coming from Canada, because I'm certainly not seeing it. Saying all the Canadians voted for Bosh is an obvious statement, that doesn't really mean anything. It's like saying all fans from Indiana voted for O'Neal. Of course they did. Heck, I could make a stronger argument that fans from Indiana inflated O'Neal's numbers since basketball is held in high regard in Indiana, whereas in Canada basketball is still viewed as a niche sport. Obviously such an argument is completely ludicrous, but I hope you're beginning to see my point.

  23. #48

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one deserves 3 straight MVP's. Hell, Jordan never got 3 straight MVPS (87, 91, 92, 96, 98).

    Giving him 3 straight MVP's is basically a slap in the face to the other great players in the league. Is he that much better than everyone else where he deserves to win 3 straight MVP's?

    05 I pick Shaq, last year I pick Kobe (I guess being the first to average 35 since MJ in 88 isn't good enough), this year I'd go with Arenas or Wade so far.

    I'd concede one of those to him, but 3? That's ridiculous. Giving him 3 in a row is basically saying that he is at a superior level to the other elite players in the league. He is not. That's a slap in the face to guys like Lebron, Dirk, Kobe, etc, guys who have busted their a**es for the last few years, but have never won the award.

    Hell, the Mavs got to the finals 2 years after he left with Jason Terry at the PG.
    So there is a limit to how many MVPs you can win now?

    The MVP is about who is the most valuable player. Not the most superior player. Nash is the MVP this year, again, for the third time in a row. 2 years ago doesn't matter, last year doesn't matter. Only this year matters.

    You mention the Mavs getting to the Finals two years after Nash left. Did they get there because Nash left? Also, did you know that the year before Nash arrived in Phoenix they were 29-53. With Nash in town they were 54-28 in his first year in town and 62-20 the following year.

    I just don't see how anyone can discount what Nash has done this year just because he has won 2 other MVPs. What matters is this year. Sorry that Lebron, or Shaq, or Wade, or Kobe haven't been MVPs 2-3 times. That doesn't mean that Nash can't. I know the media doesn't hype up Nash like they do Kobe, Lebron, and the others but that doesn't mean Nash isn't the MVP this year.

    To me, saying that Nash shouldn't win a third MVP in a row because he has already won it two other times is like saying that you don't like the New England Patrioits because they have won 3 Superbowls. Everyone wants to see greatness but then when it is there they get sick of it quickly.

  24. #49

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorsFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yao and T-Mac and Chris Bosh are totally different scenarios. The Yao and T-Mac thing is obvious because guys like Shane Battier and David Wesley finish near the top as well. As for your view on Canadians voting for Bosh. Why is TJ Ford is nowhere to be seen? He has so few votes he doesn't even show up on the voting results. Same for Morris Peterson. Steve Nash couldn't even crack the top 3 in the West with his Canadian support. You'd think the Canadians that you claim vote en masse for Bosh would be voting for these players too.

    You definitely overstate Canada's view on Bosh too. 80% of Canadians probably have no idea who he is. 90% probably couldn't pick him out of a police lineup. He certainly is not held in the same regard in Canada as Yao is in China. Outside of Toronto, where Bosh is immensely popular, as any star basketball player is in his home city would be, he's relatively anonymous.

    I would love it if you could produce any evidence whatsoever to back up your claims of voting irregularites coming from Canada, because I'm certainly not seeing it. Saying all the Canadians voted for Bosh is an obvious statement, that doesn't really mean anything. It's like saying all fans from Indiana voted for O'Neal. Of course they did. Heck, I could make a stronger argument that fans from Indiana inflated O'Neal's numbers since basketball is held in high regard in Indiana, whereas in Canada basketball is still viewed as a niche sport. Obviously such an argument is completely ludicrous, but I hope you're beginning to see my point.

    I see your point. It is true that I can't produce hard evidence since they don't break down the voting.

    Obviously, basketball fans who vote for the All-Stat game are biased by their "local" players. You said yourself that Rocket players get a huge boost. I would claim that Toronto gets a decent boost, while Indiana gets no boost. And that just happens to match up with the populations of those areas in relation to the average team's fan base.

    "Saying all the Canadians voted for Bosh is an obvious statement, that doesn't really mean anything. It's like saying all fans from Indiana voted for O'Neal. Of course they did."

    It does mean something, because there are 33 million people in Canada and 6 million in Indiana.

    I would break down my thoughts further, but I have to work for now. If anyone can step in here, that would be cool.

    I will say that Chris Bosh is in the ballpark of the elite forwards in the East, and he deserves it about as much as the other 3-4 guys who could have been in that slot. I also don't think the extensive Canada fan base is the entire reason he got voted in.

  25. #50
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,582

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: All Star Starters announced

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So there is a limit to how many MVPs you can win now?

    The MVP is about who is the most valuable player. Not the most superior player. Nash is the MVP this year, again, for the third time in a row. 2 years ago doesn't matter, last year doesn't matter. Only this year matters.

    You mention the Mavs getting to the Finals two years after Nash left. Did they get there because Nash left? Also, did you know that the year before Nash arrived in Phoenix they were 29-53. With Nash in town they were 54-28 in his first year in town and 62-20 the following year.

    I just don't see how anyone can discount what Nash has done this year just because he has won 2 other MVPs. What matters is this year. Sorry that Lebron, or Shaq, or Wade, or Kobe haven't been MVPs 2-3 times. That doesn't mean that Nash can't. I know the media doesn't hype up Nash like they do Kobe, Lebron, and the others but that doesn't mean Nash isn't the MVP this year.

    To me, saying that Nash shouldn't win a third MVP in a row because he has already won it two other times is like saying that you don't like the New England Patrioits because they have won 3 Superbowls. Everyone wants to see greatness but then when it is there they get sick of it quickly.

    Giving Nash 3 straight MVP's is saying that he is at a superior level to everyone else in the league.

    He isn't.

    Why does Nash deserve the award more than Arenas? Arenas does just as much for the Wiz as Nash does. The Wiz would be terrible without him.

    Why does Nash deserve the award more than Wade? Wade has kept the Heat alive, and they will probably end up making the playoffs because he kept the team in contention. Wade keeping an awful team alive is much more impressive than what Nash has done this year.

    Jordan could have technically been the MVP every year. But the voters atleast acknowledged a couple years in which other guys in the league were the soul behind their teams as well, such as Barkley in 93, or the Mailman in 97.

    3 straight MVP's? That's a joke.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •