Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Post Trade Thoughts

  1. #1
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Post Trade Thoughts

    I know I'm not breaking any new ground here and that I could've just broken this post down and put each part into an existing thread. I'm rebellious like that. I'm going to attempt to break down the Pacers position by position.

    Point Guard:
    Can we just drop the absolute negativity surrounding Jamaal Tinsley for a few minutes? Jamaal's been solid. Before you skip the rest of my post and start with your rebuttals, hear me out. I saw a defensive effort against the Heat I've never seen before from Tinsley. He was picking Williams up at the half court line and keeping him from initiating the offense at will. He got beat on some pick and rolls and J-Will flat out ran by him in the open court at least once. What he didn't do was force a bunch of shots, go all Rucker league, or lose his mind and just start pushing people when he got burnt. He had 5 turnovers vs the Heat (one went thru Murphy's hands and one was when he just threw the ball out on the court to let the time expire) and only one against the Knicks. In the same time span he has 12 assists and 5 steals. That's not gonna get you on the all-star team but it's solid. He's also averaging 14.5 points. I am concerned with the overall position though. I like Armstrong. I also know he's 38 years old and his game relies entirely on the one thing 38 year old atheletes cannot provide night in and night out...energy. I want to see DA playing like he did against the Knicks in the playoffs not in a wheelchair. I think if we keep riding this guy like we have post trade that's where he'll end up. He's playing 26 minutes a night because we have no formidable backup points. Orien Greene and Keith McLeod aren't nincompoops like Eddie Gill but I wouldn't be upset if they never saw the court. We don't need a guy who wants 20 minutes a night but we need someone who can be relied upon to keep the train rolling. Maybe that guy is McLeod I don't know.

    Swingmen:
    I've decided to just combine all of our 2's and 3's. This isn't a team with a Reggie Miller or Ray Allen. We have 5 players who play both positions. They may be better at one but all will see time at both. Danny Granger is coming into his own offensively and he did a nice job defensively on Wade, but we need more than 3.5 rebounds a game from him and that's what he's given us since returning to the starting lineup. Daniels and Dunleavy are similar in the sense that they don't have to score to be effective, but on any given night one of them needs to be able to put the ball in the basket. Mike JR.'s shooting has been awful, not his selection per se but he's just not making shots. Daniels shot has started to fall, but over the course of the season he's been on and off. I'm hoping his regulated role will see an end to his inconsistency. Williams got 25 in that first game before the new guys arrived but his minutes have all but vanished. That's alright with me. He's getting 5-10 a game and that will allow him to settle in without the pressure of having to produce. Marshall is the odd man out for now.

    The Big Fellas:
    JO needs the ball in the post. This is slowing us down. It's also a double edged sword because we need JO to produce and we need him to produce in the post. It's like we're running two teams over the course of a game. We all just need to realize that sometimes we are gonna open up the floor and sometimes we're gonna slow it down and pound it down the other teams throats. I like being able to do both. Jeff Foster is a nice guy. That plays into the hands of Carlisle right now. He can move Jeff to the bench and he'll still give you everything he's got. Foster's seeing 15-20 and I'm fine with that. He may not be a traditional offensive force but he has his moments away from the ball and obviously on the boards. His defense and rebounding will be needed as we go down the stretch. Troy Murphy has that outside shot we've been missing since Brad left us for the coast. While he's not exactly on par with Miller during that part of his career, he's certainly closer than Pollard or Foster ever will be. Ike Diogu is a future piece. If he can work his way in now, like Williams is doing, he'll be fine. I will say I expect him to actually work his way into some minutes by the end of the regular season. He isn't going to make the transition as easily as Murphy and Dunleavy have, but his past numbers indicate he can contribute in the reserve role once occupied by Baston. Maceo is the odd man out for now.

    That just leaves David Harrison. I don't care. I gave up on him awhile back. Maybe we can add some variation of Harrison, Baston, Greene, McLeod & Marshall into a solid vet backup point guard. I think things are looking bright as long as Carlisle knows when to play the guys that are producing and sit the guys that aren't without making it a big hullabaloo, we'll be just fine.

  2. #2
    The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    I don't think it's necessarily bad to slow things down by feeding JO-he's our most reliable scorer, and even last night, the shots he was taking are ones he usually makes.

    I've been impressed by how willing he is to share the ball and to give us more D AND more boards. He also seems to be more vocal on the court towards his teammates. Wish he'd stop with the "If this team isn't getting better, I'm outta here" message, but the way he's played this season gives us a chance to be a really good team.

  3. #3
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,759

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    When i first heard the trade my initial reaction was
    ....is this a joke? I mean Jackson and Harrington are extremely talented players and I absolutely loved Sarunas and wanted him to succeed here. I still feel like the right coach could help him produce in this league.

    Anyhow, after a few games I am excited. The fact that we no longer are a poor rebounding team makes me ecstatic. Getting rebounds = winning games. It is equally as important as any other factor. I am excited about Murphy and O'neal, murphy copliments Jermaines game well. I think the only other big guy in the league, that we could of realistically got would be Nenad Krstic.

    Getting rid of Jackson and Harringtons collective attitudes was a great thing. Harrington didn't change since last time he was here, he is a me me me player and we all KNOW that by now. I just think a huge burden has been lifted off of indy. I really think last nights game proves it, who would of thought we would win overtime against Dwayne Wade and the heat. With Jackson and Al we definitely would of lost.

    I really wish Larry Bird would just step up and coach this team, Carlisle is horrible. Luckily the group of guys we have now, are pretty coachable players but I still don't like Carlisle. Tinsley struggles working in carlisles system and I think that's a big reason everyone has issues with him.

    I really wish we could trade SOMEBODY for a draft pick next year. I'd trade Maceo, Rawle, Harrison, Greene any one of those guys or even two for a draft pick. At this point we could easily trade Foster to a bad team for a solid draft pick. We do not need him anymore and I love foster but it's the truth We really just need another young guy coming in to progress with our future core of Granger, Williams, Diogu, Dunleavy, Daniels.

    I still think the Pacers need another big move involving any the guys that do not play right now, foster, tins, and williams. Williams is redundant with Granger/Dun/Quis/Rawle.

    Am I crazy or should a foster, tins, williams combo be enough to net us a point guard who is better than Tinsley and a GOOD draft pick.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When i first heard the trade my initial reaction was
    ....is this a joke? I mean Jackson and Harrington are extremely talented players and I absolutely loved Sarunas and wanted him to succeed here. I still feel like the right coach could help him produce in this league.

    Anyhow, after a few games I am excited. The fact that we no longer are a poor rebounding team makes me ecstatic. Getting rebounds = winning games. It is equally as important as any other factor. I am excited about Murphy and O'neal, murphy copliments Jermaines game well. I think the only other big guy in the league, that we could of realistically got would be Nenad Krstic.

    Getting rid of Jackson and Harringtons collective attitudes was a great thing. Harrington didn't change since last time he was here, he is a me me me player and we all KNOW that by now. I just think a huge burden has been lifted off of indy. I really think last nights game proves it, who would of thought we would win overtime against Dwayne Wade and the heat. With Jackson and Al we definitely would of lost.

    I really wish Larry Bird would just step up and coach this team, Carlisle is horrible. Luckily the group of guys we have now, are pretty coachable players but I still don't like Carlisle. Tinsley struggles working in carlisles system and I think that's a big reason everyone has issues with him.

    I really wish we could trade SOMEBODY for a draft pick next year. I'd trade Maceo, Rawle, Harrison, Greene any one of those guys or even two for a draft pick. At this point we could easily trade Foster to a bad team for a solid draft pick. We do not need him anymore and I love foster but it's the truth We really just need another young guy coming in to progress with our future core of Granger, Williams, Diogu, Dunleavy, Daniels.

    I still think the Pacers need another big move involving any the guys that do not play right now, foster, tins, and williams. Williams is redundant with Granger/Dun/Quis/Rawle.

    Am I crazy or should a foster, tins, williams combo be enough to net us a point guard who is better than Tinsley and a GOOD draft pick.
    It is really hard to get 2007 draft picks right now. That trio might get you the PG but not the pick. Also, why would any team that is projected to have a good pick want Foster or Tins?

  5. #5
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by JB's Breakout Year View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it's necessarily bad to slow things down by feeding JO-he's our most reliable scorer, and even last night, the shots he was taking are ones he usually makes.
    Either do I. It looks like we can run a little smoother with the new guys/different lineups and still be effective with the tradintional Carlisle slogball. I was just pointing out how we are going to be doing both possibly, not just one or the other. The offense isn't necessarily flowing better with certain players on the floor, it's just being run differently. I thought the Heat game was a good example of both, with the exception of JO missing a few he'd normally make with ease. We have some perimeter players that are more capable of creating something out of nothing, which is what happens when we can't get JO the ball where he needs it. There should be a little less Jamaal having to drive the lane and hope something happens now that Daniels, Dunleavy and Granger will be seeing more time and Murphy can make jump shots which isn't exactly Foster's forte.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Interesting, NOW everyone is starting to realize the importance of having a 2007 #1.

    Where was this sentiment when the FORUM, en masse, was basically LAUDING TPTB for securing that trade exemption that got us AL for the #1?

    I've posted repeatedly about this AND finally it's sinking in, apparently.

    Biggest BLUNDER of the YEAR: Artest and a #1 for BIG AL

    Bird and Walsh messed up BIGTIME here and whatever they do they can't make up for what was the team's ONLY chance to get better WITHOUT taking on exhorbitant salaries.

    All they had to do was accept losing Artest for nothing,
    play the team they had (LESS AL but giving the young players plenty of run) and cash in on that early to mid teens pick in a very rich draft.

    Bet that there will be any number of players available at that slot that POTENTIALLY are much better than Dunleavy, Murphy, and YES, AL.

    On the other hand, let's enjoy mediocrity and SALARY CAP hell.

    Is this the part of the year when BIRD goes off on YET ANOTHER European scouting trip ---he's renowned for finding gems over there?

  7. #7
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting, NOW everyone is starting to realize the importance of having a 2007 #1.

    Where was this sentiment when the FORUM, en masse, was basically LAUDING TPTB for securing that trade exemption that got us AL for the #1?

    I've posted repeatedly about this AND finally it's sinking in, apparently.

    Biggest BLUNDER of the YEAR: Artest and a #1 for BIG AL

    Bird and Walsh messed up BIGTIME here and whatever they do they can't make up for what was the team's ONLY chance to get better WITHOUT taking on exhorbitant salaries.

    All they had to do was accept losing Artest for nothing,
    play the team they had (LESS AL but giving the young players plenty of run) and cash in on that early to mid teens pick in a very rich draft.

    Bet that there will be any number of players available at that slot that POTENTIALLY are much better than Dunleavy, Murphy, and YES, AL.

    On the other hand, let's enjoy mediocrity and SALARY CAP hell.

    Is this the part of the year when BIRD goes off on YET ANOTHER European scouting trip ---he's renowned for finding gems over there?
    It's like asking Destined4Greatness about Jermaine O'Neal.

    Look, we get it.

    Secondly, I was for the trade not only because I liked Al, but because I saw the more important part: He's a bargaining chip. And we already used him wisely to make the GS trade happen. Without him, it doesn't. That's why you make that trade during the summer.

  8. #8
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting, NOW everyone is starting to realize the importance of having a 2007 #1.

    Where was this sentiment when the FORUM, en masse, was basically LAUDING TPTB for securing that trade exemption that got us AL for the #1?

    I've posted repeatedly about this AND finally it's sinking in, apparently.

    Biggest BLUNDER of the YEAR: Artest and a #1 for BIG AL

    Bird and Walsh messed up BIGTIME here and whatever they do they can't make up for what was the team's ONLY chance to get better WITHOUT taking on exhorbitant salaries.

    All they had to do was accept losing Artest for nothing,
    play the team they had (LESS AL but giving the young players plenty of run) and cash in on that early to mid teens pick in a very rich draft.

    Bet that there will be any number of players available at that slot that POTENTIALLY are much better than Dunleavy, Murphy, and YES, AL.

    On the other hand, let's enjoy mediocrity and SALARY CAP hell.

    Is this the part of the year when BIRD goes off on YET ANOTHER European scouting trip ---he's renowned for finding gems over there?
    I'd wondered if you were okay, since I hadn't seen a post from you blasting that trade in like, 24 hours. Glad you are back with us.

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    I really don't care much about us not having a number 1. History shows us that if there is a player the Pacers really want that falls below 15 or so we'll make a trade to get that guy.

  10. #10
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    History also shows us this.....

    Erick Dampier
    Austin Croshere
    Al Harrington
    Jeff Foster(via Vonteego Cummings & a 1st rounder that would later=Murphy)
    Primoz Brezec
    A trade that secured Jamaal Tinsley ( our pick later turned into Boris Diaw)
    Fred Jones
    James Jones
    David Harrison
    Danny Granger
    Shawne Williams

    Largely role players not guys who put you in the finals.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    History also shows us this.....

    Erick Dampier
    Austin Croshere
    Al Harrington
    Jeff Foster(via Vonteego Cummings & a 1st rounder that would later=Murphy)
    Primoz Brezec
    A trade that secured Jamaal Tinsley ( our pick later turned into Boris Diaw)
    Fred Jones
    James Jones
    David Harrison
    Danny Granger
    Shawne Williams

    Largely role players not guys who put you in the finals.
    But they are great picks for not being lottery picks... These are all players who have succeeded in the NBA except for maybe David. You can't expect to get players who will get you into the finals with the 17th pick (except maybe Danny!) Same thing with next years draft. The first 3 or 4 players drafted will be incredible players. The rest... not so incredible, but if teams do their research they can end up with a Solid Role player.

  12. #12
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,247

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bet that there will be any number of players available at that slot that POTENTIALLY are much better than Dunleavy, Murphy, and YES, AL.
    you're forgetting we got diogu also. i consider him as the replacement for the #1 we gave up for harrington

  13. #13
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you're forgetting we got diogu also. i consider him as the replacement for the #1 we gave up for harrington

  14. #14
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting, NOW everyone is starting to realize the importance of having a 2007 #1.

    Where was this sentiment when the FORUM, en masse, was basically LAUDING TPTB for securing that trade exemption that got us AL for the #1?

    I've posted repeatedly about this AND finally it's sinking in, apparently.

    Biggest BLUNDER of the YEAR: Artest and a #1 for BIG AL

    Bird and Walsh messed up BIGTIME here and whatever they do they can't make up for what was the team's ONLY chance to get better WITHOUT taking on exhorbitant salaries.

    All they had to do was accept losing Artest for nothing,
    play the team they had (LESS AL but giving the young players plenty of run) and cash in on that early to mid teens pick in a very rich draft.

    Bet that there will be any number of players available at that slot that POTENTIALLY are much better than Dunleavy, Murphy, and YES, AL.

    On the other hand, let's enjoy mediocrity and SALARY CAP hell.

    Is this the part of the year when BIRD goes off on YET ANOTHER European scouting trip ---he's renowned for finding gems over there?
    I think you ascribe way too much value to a draft pick. Look, we're never going to get a high lottery pick unless we intentionally lead the team in that direction. Too much talent, too skilled of a coach.

    Lower 1st round draft picks are a crap shoot, now matter how deep the draft. Look at them historically, and honestly tell me that we could be assured of getting a quality PG with a 2007 draft pick.

    We have 1, 2, 3 very young up and coming rookies now. I believe management wisely parlayed draft picks into clear answers to deficits on the team. No one here knows the reasons for signing Al. For all we know, the decision could have been made as Hicks said, with the expressed purpose of having a valuable trading chip. That's not so out of the question, given that we already have a franchise PF (shrug).

    It's easy to game your argument by saying that we traded Ron Artest + a 1st round draft pick for Al Harrington. I could game it the other way by saying that we traded a ticking time bomb, a strong player that would never find success in Indy due to lack of community support, Sarunas and a 1st round draft pick for Ike Diogu, a Foster that can shoot and a solid point forward that fits well into the Indy system. Harrington is why we were able to get Ike Diogu, plain and simple.

    Now, the trade up + draft picks to get White. Well, that's another story.


  15. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    We're giving up like the 20th pick in the draft. That ain't gonna get you Danny Granger.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #16
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,174

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you're forgetting we got diogu also. i consider him as the replacement for the #1 we gave up for harrington
    The big deal is that Diogu is a safer bet than anyone we could pick at #15. He was a lottery pick at #9 and is considered to have significant upside. The fact he came with two very good fits for our system is just gravy. Considering Al is completely redundant with JO on the team...and we purged cancer by moving Jack, this trade should go down as a good one. If Ike develops into an all-star, which is a distinct possibliy, it could be viewed as a steal. We need to keep in mind that Jack and Al were getting in the way of Granger's development as well. They jacked up so many shots and lacked consistency, it hurt the team. The trade's all good in my book.

  17. #17
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    I was trying to say what Anthem & DocPaul said. They just said it better. The pick the Pacers will end up with will likely be the same pick they've ended up with the last 10 years. Somewhere in the mid-teens or lower thus getting something like they've picked the last ten years, largely role players.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Point Guard:
    Can we just drop the absolute negativity surrounding Jamaal Tinsley for a few minutes? Jamaal's been solid. Before you skip the rest of my post and start with your rebuttals, hear me out. I saw a defensive effort against the Heat I've never seen before from Tinsley. He was picking Williams up at the half court line and keeping him from initiating the offense at will. He got beat on some pick and rolls and J-Will flat out ran by him in the open court at least once. What he didn't do was force a bunch of shots, go all Rucker league, or lose his mind and just start pushing people when he got burnt. He had 5 turnovers vs the Heat (one went thru Murphy's hands and one was when he just threw the ball out on the court to let the time expire) and only one against the Knicks. In the same time span he has 12 assists and 5 steals. That's not gonna get you on the all-star team but it's solid. He's also averaging 14.5 points. I am concerned with the overall position though. I like Armstrong. I also know he's 38 years old and his game relies entirely on the one thing 38 year old atheletes cannot provide night in and night out...energy. I want to see DA playing like he did against the Knicks in the playoffs not in a wheelchair. I think if we keep riding this guy like we have post trade that's where he'll end up. He's playing 26 minutes a night because we have no formidable backup points. Orien Greene and Keith McLeod aren't nincompoops like Eddie Gill but I wouldn't be upset if they never saw the court. We don't need a guy who wants 20 minutes a night but we need someone who can be relied upon to keep the train rolling. Maybe that guy is McLeod I don't know.


    I'm not getting the same impression from Tinsley. I think it's very visible right now that the team plays much better without him in the lineup. I think he's a huge part of the energy problem to start games. It's especially noticeable because his replacement is DA. And I still think he's making poor decisions. The deficit last night disappeared as soon as he left the game.

    I've always had great things to say about Tinsley, but my faith in him is wearing very thin right now, between the forced shots, ball penetration, etc. I'd feel better if we ran MDJ and MD at the point, at least to see how it goes.

  19. #19
    The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    The deficit last night disappeared as soon as he left the game.

    But we didn't get the deficit because of Tinsley, really. He was setting up his teammates well, nobody outside of Murphy was hitting their shots. And JT was doing his part to give us some offense when he could see most everybody else struggling.

    I am concerned about the energy and attitude he brings, even when he plays efficiently. It's a good point that compared to DA, he looks even more indifferent. I like JO's leadership this year, but how much better would we be if our best point guard took more command of the team?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    I complain about Tinsley when he leisurely brings the ball up court, dribbles around aimlessly for 15-20 seconds, then tries to start the offense. He did that at times last night and it drove me nuts.

    But early in the game when we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, he was hitting 4/5 to get us some critically needed offense and keep the game close. And don't forget DA took a few very ill advised shots during that run that could have cost us big so was hardly perfect. Armstrong shot 1-7 from three point land and some of those never should have been taken to begin with.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by JB's Breakout Year View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The deficit last night disappeared as soon as he left the game.

    But we didn't get the deficit because of Tinsley, really. He was setting up his teammates well, nobody outside of Murphy was hitting their shots. And JT was doing his part to give us some offense when he could see most everybody else struggling.

    I think that's a huge part of it though. I don't think he's setting up his teammates at all. The only play I saw him "involved" in was the re-entry when he posted up Williams. Did you know that his first pass to Mike Dunleavy was in the middle-late 3rd quarter (at least that's the first I saw)? If he's not dribbling he's not doing anything on the floor to help his teammates. I will say there were a couple of exceptions, like the one pass he caught under the goal, but for the most part there's nothing. And as soon as he's out, the rotation gets better and players start finding the ball where they like it. And they even run down the floor faster.

  22. #22
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you know that his first pass to Mike Dunleavy was in the middle-late 3rd quarter (at least that's the first I saw)?
    You must've gone for snacks at precisely the wrong times......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  23. #23
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The deficit last night disappeared as soon as he left the game.
    Jamaal left the game in the second quarter with the Pacers down by 3. They were down by 7 at half.

    Miami then opens the second half by scoring on their first 5 possessions to push it up to 18 on two Wade baskets, two Haslem baskets and a Kapono 3. The Pacers during that same stretch went Murphy miss, Dunleavy turnover, JO miss, Dunleavy miss, Dunleavy turnover.

    And it's all Jamaal Tinsley's fault........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  24. #24
    Member quiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alaska....
    Age
    52
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    I have not watched every pacer game... I was leary about exchanging Dun for Jax. I thought we would miss Jax on Defense and figured Dun would not be a better shooter but I did know Dun would move better on the offensive end so I figured that would make up for his defensive laps... I was estatic about getting Murphy for Al and exchanging Ike for Sars...

    I hoped and expected Murph JO to work worlds better then Al JO both in scoring and rebounding.....

    I love Ike as a better option for resting JO at the power foward spot... he gives us another big who is capable of guarding the likes of Sheed, Kristic and now Webber ect away from the basket better then JO...

    With tins.. I have been following the debate for a while... my take.. IMO from what i have seen Tins has been much better this year game in game out being more consistant about playing defense and running the offense. I have seen few mano mano events that I do think is one of his major problems.. but about sharing the ball and taking too many shots over all I haven't looked each and every game but it seems to me there is normally three other pacers taking as many or more shots each game then Tin's... and lookin at the over all stats.. he is 4th on the team in FGA's per game... Behind JO who has 598, Al who had 541 and Jax who had 477 in 40 games as a pacer... Tin's has 480 in 41 games.. 1 more game only 3 more shots...

    This means game in game out JO and Al were getting the most shots.. with Jax then getting a few more per game then Tin's.... yes most people would like to see Granger and I do no disagree get more shots then Tin's but the reality is Granger really started off very very slow this year.. was no aggresive at all in taking shots and to expect 4 players on your team to get more shots then your pt guard is a little difficult..

    for the record.. nash who is renound on this board for his team ball and such is second on his team in shot attempts.... and I would think most Pg in the league will be in the top three of their teams... I imagine if you we keep record from the trade on I bet even with Tin's starting he will not take more shots on this team then JO, Granger, Murphy and Dun's..... so no I do not see how Tin's is going to hurt this team by taking too many shots... and yes I was disapointed by DA coming off a game where he obviously played a high amount of minutes so he probably had dead legs taking a lot of three point shots... just some other stats.... JT only took 1 3 point shot of his 6-11 DA took 10 shots and was 1-7 from 3

    To me DA should be limited to 15-18 minutes a game in four seperate stretches and Tins getting 30 to 33 minutes....
    You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you? ..... You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.....
    Silly rabbit..... Trix are for kids.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Post Trade Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is really hard to get 2007 draft picks right now. That trio might get you the PG but not the pick. Also, why would any team that is projected to have a good pick want Foster or Tins?
    One point guard who is available and might be able to help us is Carlos Arroyo. ORL doesn't have many bigs; they roll with only Howard, Battie and Darko. Harrison + filler for Arroyo, unless people think he's too much like Saras.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •