Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers Post Game: Heat 01/24/07

Default Pacers Post Game: Heat 01/24/07

How impressive was it to come back from 20 down to pull this out? I'm very impressed with this new team. We traded Al, Jack, and Sarunas for Dunleavy, Murphy, Ike, a better Marquis, and a better Granger.

Default Re: Pacers Post Game: Heat 01/24/07

Great game, huge in that they came back and seemed to stay calm in OT. Those who are starting threads saying Dun and Murph are horrible need to open their eyes. I'm very happy with this win!

Just how much does Armstrong mean to this team?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I am really encouraged to know that JO had like the worst shooting night of his life, rick pulls JO, Ike comes in gets about 4 or 5 rebounds 8 or 10 points in 11 minutes and our ben REALLY pulls its weight. and T-money finishes them off by being clutch down the stretch.

It definitely didn't look good in the 3rd quarter. But the turning point in the game was the first few minutes of the 4th, when Danny and Red Bull went crazy and just took over the game.

Even though JO didn't shoot well, he still managed to get a double-double.

I'm really starting to like this trade. Our frontcourt with JO, Murphy, Foster, and even Diogu is playing really well so far. They're giving other teams trouble.

And how about Marquis Daniels? He has been playing great ever since the trade. I definitely like his shot selection, which is better compared to the players that were traded away.

42.9 IND - T. Murphy made a 16-foot jumper along the left baseline. Assist: J. Tinsley

Tins dragged 2 DEFENDERS, TWO, with him and turned around and found Troy Murphy with a textbook pass. He was very efficient tonight, didnt force his shot, didnt take a crap load of shots and found the open man. HOW SWEET IT IS.

Ohh all yall that want to crap on Jamaal Tinsley and blame him for everything. DA almost killed it for us in the last minute with his dribbling and not being able to put up a shot with 24 seconds,and not being able to find JO and giving Miami a chance to end the game. I know DA is the reason we came back in this game, but Tins does that many times only to have people forget what he did in the last minute of the game.

Refs screwed us many times tonight, JO should have at least 10 FT's to his name tonight but whatever. We won.

I LOVE QUIS

Sounds like it was quite the comeback. Wish I could have seen it. Looks like JO had a horrible shooting night, so that's even better that we won. If the team could do this well AND JO is having a solid night - sounds promising.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

I have to ask, who should start Dunleavy or Marquis? I like Marquis better but I have no problem with him coming off the bench so long as he gets minutes.
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Woo hoo! What a game. Murphy was huge. DA, Quis, and Granger all came up big in the comeback. JO had a horrible shooting night, but did you notice during our run he wasnt demanding the ball? He was rebounding too. A little bright spot in his bad game. Tinsley wasnt horrible but wasnt great. Too many turnovers. He shot well though. But he was also out when we made our run.

So who else wants Quis to be the starting PG? He has impressed me the past couple of games. He can handle the ball and distribute it too. Also he plays defense. Im starting to think that he may be our best option at PG now. I was skeptical at first but with him and MD as the point forward i think we would be better off than just Tinsley.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just how much does Armstrong mean to this team?
    All too much I'm afraid. And I only say that because he's at the end of his career, give or take a season. If we had the young DA we'd be in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    How impressive was it to come back from 20 down to pull this out? I'm very impressed with this new team. We traded Al, Jack, and Sarunas for Dunleavy, Murphy, Ike, a better Marquis, and a better Granger.
    Clear that Granger loves the trade. Pointed to "big improvement" having MDJ, Murph, Diogu around in his post-game interview. Good sign, methinks.

And how about Ike Diogu? I think I'm falling in love. This guy is tough, he can score with his back to the basket, facing the basket, and surprisingly looked smooth taking an 18-footer from the baseline. The guy just plays tough. And he also is an 80% free throw shooter!

All too much I'm afraid. And I only say that because he's at the end of his career, give or take a season. If we had the young DA we'd be in business.
    We are in business Hicks - he's showing how it's done.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

The last two games really showed us the potential of this team. I think we'll see ups and downs, but when this group is on, they look good.

The thing that really impressed me was how the withstood the runs by the other team. They held off a big run by Chicago. Tonight they played horrible at the start, couldn't buy a basket, but hung in there. In the third when they were down 20 they didn't give up. When they almost blew it at the end of regulation, they didn't let it ruin their composure. That sort of mental toughness is what we need in the team.

A few observations:

- Even though JO was not getting his shot to fall, I liked his play. He had 13 boards and he didn't give up. Nor did I feel he forced a lot of things.

- Foster gave us a nice lift off the bench, but it is looking more and more like he is expendable. Murphy is like Foster with an offensive game. We can run things like the high pick and roll with him that we just can't do with Foster. It makes all five guys a legitimate threat. Foster may end up being the biggest casualty of this trade. As much as I like him and admire his hustle, the early returns suggest Murphy is a better fit on the team.

- Good ensemble performance. Pretty much all of our guys contributed. Tinsley gave us needed scoring early. Armstrong was a spark off the bench. Granger finally started hitting. Foster was energy guy in the 3rd to launch the rally. JO kept battling. Etc.

- Yes, Virginia, we can play defense. I know it didn't look like it in the first 2 1/2 quarters, but we showed that we are capable of playing decent defense if we want to. As these guys gel, it should only get better.

- For those who say Granger can't play defense, I thought he did a decent job on Wade there at the end. He clearly needs to mature, but the potential is there.

I guess most importantly this team is just a lot more fun to watch. There are certainly some bad stretches of play, but the good stretches show the potential. We've got a significant opportunity to pile up some wins here before the other teams figure out the adjustments they need to make. Let's take advantage.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Prediction: Pacers win by 2

Daniels needs to get 30 min a night, not negotiable

Armstrong remind anyone of another "old timer" we picked up at one time to help get us over the hump?

Quote Originally Posted by arenn View Post
    - Foster gave us a nice lift off the bench, but it is looking more and more like he is expendable. Murphy is like Foster with an offensive game. We can run things like the high pick and roll with him that we just can't do with Foster. It makes all five guys a legitimate threat. Foster may end up being the biggest casualty of this trade. As much as I like him and admire his hustle, the early returns suggest Murphy is a better fit on the team.
    While I agree that Murphy is the better fit, I don't think you can give up Foster unless you're packaging him with Tinsley for a better PG. We FINALLY have a solid front court again, let's not be quick to dismantle it in any way. This front line

Granger/Williams
    O'Neal/Diogu
    Murphy/Foster

Is a very good one to have. I enjoy all of those players and they all bring something to the table (least of all Williams, but he's a rookie). I'm not hot to break that up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DG4mvp View Post
    Daniels needs to get 30 min a night, not negotiable
    How many did he play tonight? I like him where he is now. Dunleavy and he both bring a lot to the table, and both need minutes.

Troy played well tonight and I've liked Dunleavy and Ike so far...But all that is just gravy on top of what we really got in this deal: Danny Granger and Marquis Daniels. These guys are good.

Just by Danny's demeanor you can tell he really relishes knowing that he's not coming out for the next 8 minutes unless he picks up a bunch of fouls. It's doing wonders for his confidence already and he really seems to enjoy his new role. I've never seen him put up so many shots without hesitation. It's a great sight to see.

And I have to say that I was probably wrong about Marquis. He hadn't done much to impress me until the other night. But he's doing great with his extended burn too. He gets to the lane better than any non-PG we've had since...since...well, since I started watching these guys in '92.

I'm liking the changes.

Banned

I'm keeping my eye on 76ers vs Cavs. 2nd overtime 36 seconds left, 112 - 107 76ers

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

In the by the way department Cleveland is Losing to Philly in overtime

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Armstrong remind anyone of another "old timer" we picked up at one time to help get us over the hump?
    Tim Hardaway?

What a fantastic win tonight. Dunleavy was awful out there for stretches. He did do some things well for periods, and he played help defense pretty well, but I hope we don't get this Dunleavy more often then the one we saw against Chicago.

Tinsley was good for the most part. If this is the Tinsley we get with this team we'll be fine.

As well as Darrell is playing its heartbreaking that he's 38. I keep thinking "If only this were Darrell 6 years ago..."

JO has had 2 horrible shooting games in a row, but I'm not worried. He got absolutely hammered without a call several times tonight. When he wasn't getting hammered they played pretty solid defense on him. Miami defended him very well tonight, but he still hit some big shots and played well defensively. I also liked that he clearly didn't care about going back in when we were making a run in the 4th.

Ike Diogu baby, get used to this. For as long as he continues to play limited minutes this is what we'll get. A guy that will give his all and contribute as much as possible when he's out there. That 19 footer he hit was money, and his post game is even a little more refined then I thought. He finishes under the rim 150 times better then Al does that's for sure.

Murph was very good.

Quis and Danny, how much more can you say.

While I agree that Murphy is the better fit, I don't think you can give up Foster unless you're packaging him with Tinsley for a better PG. We FINALLY have a solid front court again, let's not be quick to dismantle it in any way. This front line

Granger/Williams
    O'Neal/Diogu
    Murphy/Foster

Is a very good one to have. I enjoy all of those players and they all bring something to the table (least of all Williams, but he's a rookie). I'm not hot to break that up at all.
    For me it would have to be a no brainer in our favor to give up Foster. He's a valuable guy off the bench even in reduced minutes. He can come with more energy due to that and you need dirty work, hustle, good attitude guys. Plus he plays pretty solid position D IMO. And what if JO or Murphy goes down for a signifcant length of time?

Post-trade throwing Diogu into the mix I'm almost more inclined to a change of previous opinion. I'd would seriously consider sending out Williams before Foster. Or Baston or Harrison but, of course, they wouldn't command much I suppose.

Jeff isn't at all expendable. He is by far our best low post one on one defender. He can guard the Rasheed's, Bosh's, Duncan's, and Garnetts as well as anyone. He gets to be a spark player off the bench, which frankly is where he can make the biggest difference and should have been all along. I really really like him and Ike off the bench. It's like phew JO and Murphy are getting a rest the other team thinks they can relax and you have Foster climbing over, around through you and Ike knocking you down with go go gadget arms. Very exciting, imo.

Also, and I love Murphy, but lets be honest he's not the quickest guy, he's more clever. Ike's in that foul every 4 minute young guy club (to which yes Harrison is their president). And JO really doesn't need to have to play the other teams be 4/5 defensively every night. They need Foster and would really feel his loss against alot of teams.