Thread: Time for Artest to Sit down

3rdBattboy

Default Time for Artest to Sit down

I love the guys toughness but Bill Walton said it best in our last game, Their is a difference playing hurt and playing injured. Artest is injured. I think he should seriously think about taking a couple games off or more if necessary to make it heal and make sure that it is safe to play because all we need to happen is he serioulsy injures that finger and hes out for a large portion of the season. He actually didn't shoot the ball that bad tonight but in my oppinion hes still playing gingerly out their. I just don't know if playing is such a smart thing to do especially the way he plays because hes so physical.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Time for Artest to Sit down

I don't like agreeing with Walton much but I do agree that he should sit out, but he already blew his chance to do so. 3 days off and the Washington game off would be pleanty to heal or at least make the pain a whole lot less than it is now probably.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Yeesh. There's something I haven't heard... "Bill Walton said it best..."

By the way, I agree.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Gingerly? I don't see that at all.

His shooting is a little off, and he is not handling the ball as well.

But the Pacers need him.

They only play two games over the next 9 days that is enough time for him to rest.

But the Pacers need him.
    Can't speak for everyone else, but that was my point. I was hoping he wouldn't play at all this weekend.

I'd rather have lost these two games and the next two than enter the playoffs with Ron at less than 100%.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

3rdBattboy

But the Pacers need him.
    Can't speak for everyone else, but that was my point. I was hoping he wouldn't play at all this weekend.

I'd rather have lost these two games and the next two than enter the playoffs with Ron at less than 100%.
    Thats exactly my point. Remember last year his hands were a mess, they were all taped up and because of that his shooting suffered. Artest is just to big a part of this team offensively to be taking chances this early in the year. We need him healthy come playoff time. I also wonder if his hand hurts him defensively. Obviously hes a physical player and likes to use his hands to poke and slap the ball away well with his hand in a splint hes gotta be concerned he can injure himself that way as well.

Artest is always hurting his fingers, thumb etc, although less this season, but unless you want him to sit out for a long time he will just have to learn to deal with it.

The doctor told him he can't injure it anymore by playing, so let the man play.

I dare anyone to say the Pacers are better without even an injured Ron Artest.

If it would only take him a week to get his thumb 100% again, he should sit. If not, just have to deal with it and play him.

3rdBattboy

Well he was what 4 for 16 against Houston the other night when he shouldn't have been playing that certainly hurt us. If he keeps us his poor shooting since hes been injured that doesn't really help us no matter how great he is on the defensive end especially when you have a more then capable backup who can pick up the slack for a couple of games.

Well he was what 4 for 16 against Houston the other night when he shouldn't have been playing that certainly hurt us. If he keeps us his poor shooting since hes been injured that doesn't really help us no matter how great he is on the defensive end especially when you have a more then capable backup who can pick up the slack for a couple of games.
    The problem is not AL replacing Ron the problem is then who replaces Al.

edit: Hey, I did not realize you were Paceralltheway. Where have you been?

3rdBattboy

The problem is not AL replacing Ron the problem is then who replaces Al.

edit: Hey, I did not realize you were Paceralltheway. Where have you been?
    I guess your right with that, I would like to say Johnathon Bender but who knows when he gets back.

As far as where Ive been, Im serving in the Military so Ive been busy over the last year. Whenever I get a chance I like to see whats going on at the Star News forum but it seems like alot of the old posters from that site are here now and I can see why. This is a great site.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Artest is always hurting his fingers, thumb etc, although less this season, but unless you want him to sit out for a long time he will just have to learn to deal with it.

The doctor told him he can't injure it anymore by playing, so let the man play.

Buck, as you know, I'm just as big an Artest fan as you are. Hence the name beast23.

Perhaps it is just coincidence that Artest's perimeter shooting has dipped at the same time as the thumb injury. But anyone who has had a hand injury, even on the off hand, knows that if nothing else it is a distraction while handling and shooting the ball.

I totally agree with you that we are not the same team at all whenever Ron is not available for action.

But I would also add that while injured, every perimeter shot he takes negates something else good that he is doing on the floor. I think while injured, Ron needs to use his strength inside a little more than handle the ball and shoot on the perimeter.

We've got to get others to step up and hit those mid-range jumpers while Ron is recovering. Much like Al did tonight.

As far as where Ive been, Im serving in the Military so Ive been busy over the last year. Whenever I get a chance I like to see whats going on at the Star News forum but it seems like alot of the old posters from that site are here now and I can see why. This is a great site.

I really glad you found us, I thought you were gone forever [size=9:e2d905fb8d](gone from being a poster only of course, not gone totoally)[/size]. But you were always one of my favorites.

Beast23, I agree with you, Ron should shoot less and only take really good shots with his injury. I was arguing against him not playing, not against him altering his game a little. Ron did hit two huge turnoarounds late in the game that kept the Pacers alive

I really glad you found us, I thought you were gone forever [size=9:dea5852c98](gone from being a poster only of course, not gone totoally)[/size]. But you were always one of my favorites.

Beast23, I agree with you, Ron should shoot less and only take really good shots with his injury. I was arguing against him not playing, not against him altering his game a little. Ron did hit two huge turnoarounds late in the game that kept the Pacers alive
    I'm gonna ask you this again because you are the one who always says "it doesn't matter who starts, but who ends".

With his injury the way it is would it not make some more sense for Al to start?

Or does it really matter who starts? I think be both know it does.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I'm gonna ask you this again because you are the one who always says "it doesn't matter who starts, but who ends".

With his injury the way it is would it not make some more sense for Al to start?

Let's get off this starting, not starting, ending thing, I think you and others are suggesting that Ron should play fewer minutes because of his injury. I disagree with that. Even when Ron is injured like he is, and not shooting well, the Paces are a better team with him on the floor. You know who agree with me. Rick Carlisle does.

Let's get off this starting, not starting, ending thing, I think you and others are suggesting that Ron should play fewer minutes because of his injury. I disagree with that. Even when Ron is injured like he is, and not shooting well, the Paces are a better team with him on the floor. You know who agree with me. Rick Carlisle does.
    No, your wrong on this. I do not think Ron should play less min. a game because of his injury.

I think Ron should play less min. a game period.

Not a whole lot less, but 40 plus min. a game is to much, IMO.

Personnaly I don't enjoy him on the floor nearly as much as you do. I like Ron but I would like to see a better split of the min. a game.

35 min. a game should do it.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13