Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Player option for Jermaine?

  1. #1
    10 - 32 - 50 31andonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Player option for Jermaine?

    I just took a look at the Salaries on Hoopshype and noticed that Jermaine has a Player Option.

    Is that correct?

    If so, I really wonder whether or not Jermaine would opt out of his contract after the season.
    After his comments earlier this year, I doubt Jermaine would want to stay in Indiana if the new team's not doing well!

    Does Hoopshype provide serious information or is this Player Option - Thing wrong?

    Since I really trust in this team to become a serious contender in about one or two years with Jermaine being the franchise player, I absolutely would want him to stay and would regret if he didn't share my opinion!
    Thank you Jeff.

  2. #2
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,680

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    The option is next year, not this one.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  3. #3
    10 - 32 - 50 31andonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Thank you!
    Thank you Jeff.

  4. #4
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,041

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    I hardly go to Hoopshype anymore for salary information, they have a lot of things wrong.

  5. #5
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hardly go to Hoopshype anymore for salary information, they have a lot of things wrong.
    Is there a more reliable source for this information? If so, I'll put that link up where HoopsHype currently sits at the top.

  6. #6
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    I think a notable Hoopshype situation was Austin Croshere, who was making half the salary that fans thought he was making after his player option.

    Hoopshype just tries to "do the math" based on Cap situations, salary leaks, CBA rules and history. They do a pretty good job. But fans make the mistake of taking the figures reported there as gospel.

    People here gave Croshere a terrible time for his "overpaid" status. Nobody has ever admitted that they were wrong or apologized for it. Croshere was not overpaid after his option.

    [/soapbox]

    I'll say again, this is not Hoopshype's fault, it's the fault of fans who put too much faith in the figures that are reported there.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  7. #7
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a notable Hoopshype situation was Austin Croshere, who was making half the salary that fans thought he was making after his player option.

    Hoopshype just tries to "do the math" based on Cap situations, salary leaks, CBA rules and history. They do a pretty good job. But fans make the mistake of taking the figures reported there as gospel.

    People here gave Croshere a terrible time for his "overpaid" status. Nobody has ever admitted that they were wrong or apologized for it. Croshere was not overpaid after his option.

    [/soapbox]

    I'll say again, this is not Hoopshype's fault, it's the fault of fans who put too much faith in the figures that are reported there.
    He wasnt? He was making 7 million per. Other then him being a good teammate, he was doing nothing for this team. The guy is a horrible basketball player, other then his 1 in 20 games when he plays like an all star and then goes back to being the worst player on our team.

  8. #8
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    "doing nothing for this team"

    "horrible basketball player"

    "worst player on our team"

    Your powers of persuasion have overwhelmed me. Say no more, I'm convinced of your objectivity and knowledge in this area. I was clearly wrong.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,279

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there a more reliable source for this information? If so, I'll put that link up where HoopsHype currently sits at the top.
    Here you go ladies and gentlemen. I can only assume SI may have better info.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../nba/salaries/
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  10. #10

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    I think it is highly unlikely JO would opt out of his contract after this year. No one will pay him that kind of money. It would be a horrible business decision.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The option is next year, not this one.
    If hoopshype is correct, his salary for next year is a "player option" which means that he can opt out after this season.

    http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

    Opting out and becoming a free agent would likely involve him accepting an enormous pay cut since few teams are under the cap, unless a sign-and-trade were worked out.

    Not going to happen.

  12. #12
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,680

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If hoopshype is correct, his salary for next year is a "player option" which means that he can opt out after this season.

    http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

    Opting out and becoming a free agent would likely involve him accepting an enormous pay cut since few teams are under the cap, unless a sign-and-trade were worked out.

    Not going to happen.
    Your assumption is wrong, he can only opt out at the end of the season, which is after next season.

    Also the CBA does not allow option earlier then with 2 years left on a max-term contract.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  13. #13

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    I think it is clear JO will not opt out of his contract because he'd be a big looser financially.

    Almost no teams will be under the cap enough to handle 20 mil of annual salary - and those few who might be able to get under the cap that far won't have a good supporting cast.

    The threat of walking does give him more leverage though, if he would be in a position where he wanted to demand a trade.

  14. #14
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,878

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it is clear JO will not opt out of his contract because he'd be a big looser financially.

    Almost no teams will be under the cap enough to handle 20 mil of annual salary - and those few who might be able to get under the cap that far won't have a good supporting cast.

    The threat of walking does give him more leverage though, if he would be in a position where he wanted to demand a trade.
    What if he opts out with the thinking the Indiana Pacers will up the ante?

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  15. #15
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,680

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    What if another team is willing to give him a max for 6 years ?

    He might lose out in the first 2 years, but after that he will recoup more then generoulsy, not a totally unheard of or impossible scenario.

    Remember he is barely 28 so 29 when he would sign that, i.e under contract till 35, not exactly old for top tier post player.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  16. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Hoopshype was off a little on Croshere's salary, but not much. Just enough to make a trade workable.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #17
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "doing nothing for this team"

    "horrible basketball player"

    "worst player on our team"

    Your powers of persuasion have overwhelmed me. Say no more, I'm convinced of your objectivity and knowledge in this area. I was clearly wrong.
    No problem. Everyone is wrong everynow and then.

  18. #18
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a notable Hoopshype situation was Austin Croshere, who was making half the salary that fans thought he was making after his player option.

    Hoopshype just tries to "do the math" based on Cap situations, salary leaks, CBA rules and history. They do a pretty good job. But fans make the mistake of taking the figures reported there as gospel.

    People here gave Croshere a terrible time for his "overpaid" status. Nobody has ever admitted that they were wrong or apologized for it. Croshere was not overpaid after his option.

    [/soapbox]

    I'll say again, this is not Hoopshype's fault, it's the fault of fans who put too much faith in the figures that are reported there.

    Everyone in the NBA media got this one wrong, not just Hoopshype. Austin had an abnormally structured contract and this was not leaked apparently. For some reason, he made the same amount each year for the life of his deal rather than getting the "standard raise" each season.

    Every salary site and all members of the media had it wrong. This is the exception. The numbers on Hoopshype or Patricia's site (http://www.dfw.net/%7Epatricia/contracts) are for the most part accurate. I agree, don't take them as gospel, but they are rarely off by a significant amount.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,918

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think a notable Hoopshype situation was Austin Croshere, who was making half the salary that fans thought he was making after his player option.

    Hoopshype just tries to "do the math" based on Cap situations, salary leaks, CBA rules and history. They do a pretty good job. But fans make the mistake of taking the figures reported there as gospel.

    People here gave Croshere a terrible time for his "overpaid" status. Nobody has ever admitted that they were wrong or apologized for it. Croshere was not overpaid after his option.

    [/soapbox]

    I'll say again, this is not Hoopshype's fault, it's the fault of fans who put too much faith in the figures that are reported there.
    I understand your point, and dont get me wrong cause I was a big Croshere fan, but lets be real here.

    No matter how you break his salary down he was still immensely overpaid.

    So I do now think anybody was "wrong" or "owed anyone a apology".

    Of course we would all love Hoopshype to be right, but honestly I had never heard of a pro athelete (esp. NBA) having a set salary every year.

    I can kind of understand his logic (or maybe his agents?) but most guys like the thought of their salary rising each season. I know I do, but I have never been in a long term contract situation, so maybe there is some kind of benefit to doing it the way he did.

    Of course your point is taken. We should not taken that salary page for granted, which I agree far to many people do infact do that

  20. #20
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,041

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    I go to the ESPN trade page for information on this years salary's. Looking at Hoopshype, offhand I think they have about 3 or 4 salary's wrong, plus JO's option year. What Able's said about JO's option year is correct.

    If Hypeshype has that many salary's wrong on the Pacer's, why go there for other teams salary's?

    I have to admit I still go there, but only for a view of coming salaries.

  21. #21
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand your point, and dont get me wrong cause I was a big Croshere fan, but lets be real here.

    No matter how you break his salary down he was still immensely overpaid.

    So I do now think anybody was "wrong" or "owed anyone a apology".

    Of course we would all love Hoopshype to be right, but honestly I had never heard of a pro athelete (esp. NBA) having a set salary every year.

    I can kind of understand his logic (or maybe his agents?) but most guys like the thought of their salary rising each season. I know I do, but I have never been in a long term contract situation, so maybe there is some kind of benefit to doing it the way he did.

    Of course your point is taken. We should not taken that salary page for granted, which I agree far to many people do infact do that

    I need to find the figures, but reports were that post-option he was making HALF the amount of money that Hoopshype said he was making.

    That would put him at par with other veteran bigs.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  22. #22
    I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    RoboBoston
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need to find the figures, but reports were that post-option he was making HALF the amount of money that Hoopshype said he was making.

    That would put him at par with other veteran bigs.
    Well all thought he was making 9, it came out that he was making a little over 7. It was nowhere near half.
    Narf!

  23. #23
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    I thought Hoopshype had reported 12.

    Anyway, it's all water under the bridge.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  24. #24
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Hoopshype had reported 12.

    Anyway, it all water under the bridge.
    No it didnt. It was always around 8-9 million right now its like 7.5 mil.

  25. #25
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Player option for Jermaine?

    OK.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •