Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Default Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Watching the game against the Bulls-----------> Im in love with Dun Jr. Skills. Its only one game but the way he pass the ball and move without the ball. Im in Love.

The pass he made at the baseline to Murphy was intelligent.

If the Dun Jr. is in the floor we now have another "point guard" who can bring the ball.

I do think we now have a balance team than before(Steph Jack/Al Har)

Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Agreed.

I enjoyed his post game interview on the Pacers radio network with Kevin Lee. Sure you expect him to say all the right things, but I really, really think he is excited as anything to be here. One thing I liked to hear is that he loves the coaching staff and he also said Rick coaches basketball like he's used to. Not sure if that means like coach K or like his dad or what

Because Jr's dad played in the NBA and has been a coach forever - not only does he have the genes to be a smart player, but he grew up around NBA basketball. I remember seeing him hanging around the team bench in Portland and I think in Milwaukee. He had to pick up on things what to do and not to do.

And playing for coach K has to help a player. I know many of you hate Duke, but playing at Duke I believe teaches a player to play the right way

Dun Dun is a keeper. His energy is great, he is smart, and he is helping us spread the floor. He takes smart shots. He doesn't jack up a shot whenever he wants and plays within the team.

Big UPS to Dun

As with any trade, I'm reserving judgement untill we see what he can do over 10-15 games. I like what I see (especially the rebounding), but his defensive skills are pretty low.

So, we'll see. But I'm intrigued.

My hope is that this trade will work out like the Detlef trade did. I don't know if Dun Jr. can be as good as Detlef but he has offensive skills and has about the same amount of accomplishes as Detlef did when he arrived from Dallas.

I think MD is a great addition to the team. He seems to be rejuvenated with the Pacers. The Warrior fans expected entirely too much from him because he was a #3 pick. He couldn't live up to the hype to be mounted on that pedestal they had erected for him.

He can play every position except the 5. He handles the ball great for a 6'9" player. He moves well without the ball and is always looking for the open man. He reminds me of Billy Cunningham in the way that he attacks the game. Of course, he's a cut below Billy, but he has the same mind-set.

I haven't seen the deficiencies in his defensive game that a lot of posters continually refer to. What he lacks in foot speed (not too slow at that, even) he makes up for in anticipation to beat his man to a spot....a very intelligent player.

In his last game with the Warriors at home, he scores 18 pts and has 13 rebounds and is roundly booed by the home team. After such treatment, I can see him playing with less motivation. Talk about under appreciated.

I think that he has a spot on the starting team and will share duties with the PG in bringing the ball up occasionally. Of course, you can't draw many conclusions from two games but I've indeed, liked what I've seen so far.

He still has to prove he can shoot, though.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Dunleavy is a career 43% shooter , so his shooting will pick up over the first 2 games.

His all around offensive game will fit in well here. He's a better ball handler than Jackson ,passer and moves without the ball. He also seems to take shots more in the flow of the game.

While on the defensive end he's not good but his long arms and body and hopefully active feet on defense can cause some problems. All Indiana basketball fans ask is that a player at least try to play defense and give effort.

Dunleavy, right now, is the best player in that trade, IMO. I love his game. I thought we had way to many guys who needed the ball to be effective and Dunleavy can be effective with or without the ball. I just love his game. It's refreshing.

His only fault is on defense but I think that he has the smarts to make up for it. He might not be a good defender one on one but if he can be a good team defender then that will more than make up for it.

Sports Logo

Time for a quick lesson on Basketball 101 ( only cuz I don't know )

Can someone explain to me the difference between being a good "one on one" defender and someone that can play good team defense?

Is it possible to be a good "team defender" but not a good "one on one" defender?

Do you think that Dunleavy has the Basketball IQ and smarts to be one?

To be a good team defender...does it require as much Basketball IQ as it does actual physical skills?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'm mainly concerned about his perimeter shooting. If he could develop himself into a consistent 38% three point shooter, his value to the team would increase dramatically.

And I do believe he could. Playing in GS taking good shots is not encouraged as much as taking quick shots. Plus he shot 37% his second year and 39% his third year. He has a nice shot, so hopefully Carlisle's organized offense will result in Dunleavy improving his perimeter shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Can someone explain to me the difference between being a good "one on one" defender and someone that can play good team defense?

Is it possible to be a good "team defender" but not a good "one on one" defender?

To be a good team defender...does it require as much Basketball IQ as it does actual physical skills?
    Team defense is knowing the defensive system and following - it also involves instincts. One-on-one defense has more to do with physical gifts, quickness and so forth.

The best example of a Pacers player who was great at both was Derrick McKey - he was a great one-on-one and a great team defender. Dale Davis is another guy. Those two not only had to guard their own men, but rhey had to help make up for Rik and Mark Jackson's subpar defense.

Ron Artest was the best one-on-one defender I've ever seen at the wing position - but his team defense wasn't nearly as good as McKey's.

The type of things JO does, blocking shots, taking charges those are all team defensive things. The type of stuff Jeff Foster is good at, such as staying in front of his own man, stealing the ball, using his quick feet and hands to challenge the shot are all one-on-one defensive things.

Team defense involves more of a feel for the game and Dunleavy is great at those things. But if you put him on Vince Carter and tell him to shut him down he'll be embarassed. But Granger can defend Vince pretty well.

Dun Dun was my favorite part of the trade as soon as I heard about it! I swtiched my Runi avatar to a Dun Dun when the news broke. I knew the talents that he had and thought they would fit well here, so far I haven't been disappointed. Though he hasn't shot well, he does many other positive things. If you're going to have a streaky shooter, they at least need to do other things!

Though Dunleavy was my favorite part of the trade, I'm still more excited to see if Diogu can develop. I knew MDj would fit in, but I'm hoping Ike pans out. Murphy was just an added bonus b/c I remembered him from ND and knew he could be productive. Now if Mcleod can become a decent PG off the bench when he's healthy.... then we're looking at a extremely happy Pacer fan.

I was arguing people on a Romanian forum, who keep saying that this was a "racist trade". They say Utah and Indiana are the most racist states with NBA teams (and that KKK originates from Indiana). So they insist that the sole reason Larry did this trade was because the fans weren't coming to games and now, with two white starters, they should identify themselves more with the team, or some bulls**t like that.

I tried to tell them that I bet Indiana fans would love a 15 black men champion team instead of a mixed-color mediocre one. I really doubt there is any truth in those speculation, so I ask you, the ones living in the state of Indiana, what's your opinion on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Team defense is knowing the defensive system and following - it also involves instincts. One-on-one defense has more to do with physical gifts, quickness and so forth.

The best example of a Pacers player who was great at both was Derrick McKey - he was a great one-on-one and a great team defender. Dale Davis is another guy. Those two not only had to guard their own men, but rhey had to help make up for Rik and Mark Jackson's subpar defense.

Ron Artest was the best one-on-one defender I've ever seen at the wing position - but his team defense wasn't nearly as good as McKey's.

The type of things JO does, blocking shots, taking charges those are all team defensive things. The type of stuff Jeff Foster is good at, such as staying in front of his own man, stealing the ball, using his quick feet and hands to challenge the shot are all one-on-one defensive things.

Team defense involves more of a feel for the game and Dunleavy is great at those things. But if you put him on Vince Carter and tell him to shut him down he'll be embarassed. But Granger can defend Vince pretty well.

Good explanation and examples.

I'd have to disagree a little about Ron being the best ond-on-one at the wing position. I'd put Michael Cooper a hair above him. Cooper could shut Bird down and I don't think Ron ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Valente View Post
    I was arguing people on a Romanian forum, who keep saying that this was a "racist trade". They say Utah and Indiana are the most racist states with NBA teams (and that KKK originates from Indiana). So they insist that the sole reason Larry did this trade was because the fans weren't coming to games and now, with two white starters, they should identify themselves more with the team, or some bulls**t like that.

I tried to tell them that I bet Indiana fans would love a 15 black men champion team instead of a mixed-color mediocre one. I really doubt there is any truth in those speculation, so I ask you, the ones living in the state of Indiana, what's your opinion on that?

Three words:

REG-GIE! REG-GIE! REG-GIE!

Well Tony, you can tell them that the KKK orignated from Tennessee. Elwood IN is/was (not for sure which) the national headquarters, but what strikes me as funny is the Elwood high school's mascot is the Black Panther.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

The only thing this team is really missing now is a PG who can make it all work. We've got some good role players in Dunleavy, Murphy, and Foster..and we've got some scoring from JO and Granger..we just need a PG who can do the right thing. I'm no longer convinced Tinsley is the right PG for this type of team. I think Tinsley would be great in another system playing faster basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

UB did a good job of breaking it down. I would say that being at least a competent one-on-one defender is a pre-requiste to being a good team defender, because if your one-on-one defense is weak, teams are going to run their offense through the guy you are guarding, making your team defense pretty worthless.

I would say that Artest and Bruce Bowen are two of the best one-on-one defenders. JO and Ben Wallace are two great help defenders whose one-on-one defense is only average. Off the top of my head, only two people are great at both: Tim Duncan and AK-47 (which is why Andrei's season is so disapointing to some). I think Josh Smith and Gerald Wallace can grow into this elite class.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Well Tony, you can tell them that the KKK orignated from Tennessee. Elwood IN is/was (not for sure which) the national headquarters, but what strikes me as funny is the Elwood high school's mascot is the Black Panther.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

The main KKK that we know today was actually founded in Georgia.

I guess I should have worded it differently, but I assumed it was Tenn. since the founder was from there.

EDIT: Although it doesn't matter, the first KKK convention was held in Nashville.

Sorry, I love anything/everything about the Civil War.

EDIT#2: DunDun is quickly becoming my favorite Pacer. Although he hasn't been shooting well, he uses his teammates for his shots. He isn't a Jax like player, that catches the ball on the wing and tries to go one-on-one, using that stupid fake step move over and over again. He moves off ball screens really well, looking for the shot. Once he starts knocking that down consistantly, it will be a very hard play to stop with JO setting the screen, because the roll will open up.

I can't believe I read in another thread that his ball handling was suspect. He isn't going to cross anyone up anytime soon, but he's very efficient with it. Isn't flashy, just gets the job done. I really like the backcourt lineup of him and Quis, and it showed with the level of offensive play.

Ask your Romanian forumites to explain the Colts situation then. People seem to be following them just fine.

The Pacer problem has been the character of the product on the floor... not the color of it.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I also really like the way the Dunleavy takes the ball to the basket when he gets the chance. It seems like we were missing somebody that would just take the ball to the hole. I think Dunleavy has brought that and I really like it.
    "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones."

-Herb Brooks

Hoosiers are probably the most knowledgeable among basketball fans. As long as the players are playing with effort and with the best interest of the team in mind, they don't care about the color of the players.

If a player is selfish and dogs it, it doesn't matter what color he is, he's not going to be liked.

Cro and Runi have probably taken about as much heat on this board as anyone. Well, maybe other than Jax.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

One thing I liked to hear is that he loves the coaching staff and he also said Rick coaches basketball like he's used to. Not sure if that means like coach K or like his dad or what
    That is probably the best sign, I agree. The problem has been more about buying in to the system than about it working, and I think some players bailed on it when other issues caused things to not work well (suspensions, injuries, chemistry). The bad situation created a negative association with everything that was going on with the team, at least that's my guess at it.

Any coherent system will be more effective than none at all, even if it's more fun for the players to play that way (ie, Al's attitude).