Thread: S. Jackson in court this Friday...Jailtime??

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default S. Jackson in court this Friday...Jailtime??

My guess is this gets continued pending the outcome of his trial in Indy.....
    ================================================== ===
    Jackson's court date could lead to immediate jail time
    By Geoff Lepper
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES

OAKLAND - The jokes are ready-made. When someone plays a position commonly referred to as "shooting guard" and they're arrested after firing at least five shots during an altercation outside a strip club, you don't have to be a staff writer for David Letterman to come up with zingers.

But the legal entanglements of Warriors guard Stephen Jackson should be no laughing matter.

When Jackson, acquired by Golden State from the Indiana Pacers last week, appears in a Rochester Hills, Mich. courtroom on Friday, there is a chance that he could be immediately incarcerated for 93 days.

Even worse, if he's convicted of the three charges he faces in Indianapolis stemming from an early-morning Oct. 6 incident at an establishment called Club Rio, Jackson faces up to five more years of imprisonment.

"I worry about what I can control," Jackson said. "And the only thing I can control right now is living my life the right way and playing basketball."

Jackson's court appearance this week deals with the probation he's served since pleading no contest in September 2005 to misdemeanor assault charges from the infamous brawl between the Pacers and the Detroit Pistons in November 2004. Jackson went into the crowd after teammate Ron Artest and become involved in a melee with fans.

Originally, Friday's hearing was supposed to deal with some disputed medical costs for one of the fans involved in the brawl. But the Club Rio incident opened up whole new avenues.

"It's conceivable that he could be missing some games," said Paul Walton, the Oakland County prosecutor in charge of the case.

James Burdick, Jackson's attorney, said that he expects something significantly less stringent than that from judge Julie Nicholson.

"I really don't think this judge is going to make a federal case out of this," Burdick said. "Even though he's been charged in another jurisdiction, he hasn't been proven guilty and he was a victim."

Said Jackson: "I'm just ready to get it over with and hopefully, come Friday, it will be."

Not in Indiana, where Jackson was charged with felony criminal recklessness for firing multiple shots into the air before and after being struck by a car, police said. That occurred after a confrontation between a group of Pacers and other Club Rio patrons.

Jackson is slated to attend a pre-trial conference on Feb. 7 and his trial is scheduled to begin on Feb. 12, although that date could be pushed back. Ironically, Jackson's case is on the same Feb. 12 docket as that of Deon Willford, the man accused of driving the car that struck Jackson.

Even though the criminal recklessness charge is a "D" class felony -- the lowest of four types in Indiana law -- it carries with it a sentence of six months to three years in prison. The additional misdemeanor charges he faces of battery and disorderly conduct can lead up to a year each.

A conviction for a violent felony results in a minimum 10-game suspension by the NBA and it could leave the door open for the Warriors to try and void Jackson's contract.

Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin wouldn't discuss the specifics of Jackson's case but said the team will do whatever it can to help Jackson meet his court commitments and those of the team. Jackson will miss practice on Friday; it's unclear what will happen on Feb. 7, when the Warriors play in Minneapolis, or Feb. 12, when they'll be in Denver.

Regardless of the outcome, Jackson said he feels like he's getting a bad rap.

"I went 26 years of my life without getting into trouble and the two times I got in trouble, I was trying to help a teammate, which I will never do again, off the court," Jackson said. "Before the Detroit brawl I'd never been suspended or kicked out of a game. I'd never been in an NBA fight, with any player, in my career. So I know people on the outside looking in really don't know me. ... I can't control what people think about me because at the end of the day people are going to think that anyway."

Notes: Guard Baron Davis was given a leave by coach Don Nelson to miss Tuesday's practice due to personal reasons, so it's not known if the left calf cramp that forced him to the bench for the final 4 minutes, 44 seconds of Monday night's loss to the Los Angeles Lakers has healed fully. The Warriors are officially listing him as "day to day." ... Nelson said he deliberately left forward Matt Barnes on the bench Monday as a punishment. "I was mad at Barnes," Nelson said. "He's played four (bad) games in a row. I just wanted to slap him, and I figured that was the way to do it."
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: S. Jackson in court this Friday...Jailtime??

I speculated when the trade went down that Golden State, who wants to cut payroll, will not mind so much if he gets jail time.

If so, then his contract can legally be voided, I believe, and they save about 6 million bucks a year.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I speculated when the trade went down that Golden State, who wants to cut payroll, will not mind so much if he gets jail time.

If so, then his contract can legally be voided, I believe, and they save about 6 million bucks a year.
    And that leaves them with what? I think NBA is an environment where your true currency is talent. Lowering payrolls by cutting players doesn't make sense to me. What you want to do is lower payroll while maintaining talent levels on your squad.

Indiana was an exception in regards to Jackson. We would have voided the contract as a way to get out of the PR mess. As it is, we got talent in return which is the better scenario.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

He's not going to jail.

It's nice to read.... "Warriors Guard" Stephen Jackson.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    "I went 26 years of my life without getting into trouble and the two times I got in trouble, I was trying to help a teammate, which I will never do again, off the court,"
    this is always good to hear from a fellow teammate.

he had the right idea when he did both things, he just went about it the wrong way. STEPHEN...LEAVE THE HAY MAKERS AND GUNS AT HOME

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like Artest, it's good not to have to worry about this crap anymore.

I wonder who he was trying to help in the club rio thing?

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    I wonder who he was trying to help in the club rio thing?
    There was a bird flying above Tinsely and SJax didn't want Tinsley to get bird doodey in his eye and miss 30 games?
    Narf!

Yeah thanks.

Anyone else that doesn't make a joke out of everyone of their posts, feel free to tell me who Jack was helping.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    Yeah thanks.

Anyone else that doesn't make a joke out of everyone of their posts, feel free to tell me who Jack was helping.
    How is that a joke? I can't think of anything else that would possibly explain how kicking a crippled guy lying on the ground and then firing a gun into the air is helping your teammate.
    Narf!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dat dude

I believe he has stated that he was trying to warn them away. I suppose he could have been thinking that he could scare them away and keep himself and his buddies out of anymore "danger" (quotes because I can't think what else to call it). I can understand the thinking....it's STUPID with a capital STU but I can understand where it came from.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Nelson said he deliberately left forward Matt Barnes on the bench Monday as a punishment. "I was mad at Barnes," Nelson said. "He's played four (bad) games in a row. I just wanted to slap him, and I figured that was the way to do it."

If Al, Jack, and Sarunas had a problem with RC wait till they tick off Nellie. It's going to happen and I'm glad it's not going to be our train wreck.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Like Artest, it's good not to have to worry about this crap anymore.
    That's what I'm thinking.......that's the one thing I have loved about this trade ever since it was made.... I may not know if Dunleavy and Murphy will work out for us in the long run....but I know that I don't have to worry about any off or oncourt issues with SJax anymore.....I don't have to worry about the possible ramifications to the team of him getting jailtime...I don't have to worry about SJax telegraphing that he will take a shot after he dribbles the ball for more then 8 seconds.....I don't have to worry as much....PERIOD.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post

If Al, Jack, and Sarunas had a problem with RC wait till they tick off Nellie. It's going to happen and I'm glad it's not going to be our train wreck.
    No kidding.....the one thing Nellie does not tolerate players doing stupid things.......and he has no qualms about benching them. I don't know what Barnes did....but I thought that he was one of those players that Nellie loved ( plays defense, hits the opens shots, versatile, etc. )....I can only imagine what happens when Harrington, SJax or Sarunas steps out of line.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I hope he doesn't get any jail time. How about Don Nelson, though? That guy is a weirdo. I'd rather have Carlisle's soft discipline than a guy who calls out his players regularly to the media and benches them out of spite.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Dat dude

I believe he has stated that he was trying to warn them away. I suppose he could have been thinking that he could scare them away and keep himself and his buddies out of anymore "danger" (quotes because I can't think what else to call it). I can understand the thinking....it's STUPID with a capital STU but I can understand where it came from.
    Yeah, just watch 48 Hours or any number of other films in which the hero saves the day by firing off a couple of shots into the air which gets everyone's attention and stops the fight.

Not saying it's a great idea, but it's pretty obvious where someone would get the impression that this was a good solution. No one has ever watched a film like that and had the gut reaction "boy that was stupid and dangerous". It's always portrayed as a good idea, and like it or not that influences the culture.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I hope he doesn't get any jail time. How about Don Nelson, though? That guy is a weirdo. I'd rather have Carlisle's soft discipline than a guy who calls out his players regularly to the media and benches them out of spite.
    Are you kidding me?

For a player like SJax.....you have to have a coach that has no problem benching a player for doing something stupid....which we all know is going to happen at some point of the season with Nelson and SJax.

BTW, I think it would be kinda BS if he gets jailtime for the probation he got from the BS brawl.

As bad as he was, he wasn't the first or second person to have things out of control in the stands, and the guy he punched first threw a beer in the face of a person being restrained. Terrible choice when you should be looking to calm the situation rather than amp it up, but hardly a "boy, he was bad person".

I'd have done the same thing if a close friend of mine was in a similar situation. Happens all the time. I mean speaking of movie logic, the "beer in the face starts a bar room brawl" is as big a cliche as you'll ever find. Like the warning shots thing, this is considered perfectly understandable in narrative logic (as you watch a story and see reactions you think "sure, that's what would come next").

On top of that, his probation window was effectively over. This would be jail time almost on a technicality. To me it's more grandstanding.

Now if he gets some jail time for kicking the guy at Club Rio when that goes to trial in a few months, then I'll consider it a reasonable decision. The Palace Brawl should just go away at this point. Way too much blame put on the players for that situation. Just consider all the stuff fans threw on the court during the Nuggets-Knicks brawl or afterward....oh yeah, didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Now if he gets some jail time for kicking the guy at Club Rio when that goes to trial in a few months, then I'll consider it a reasonable decision. The Palace Brawl should just go away at this point. Way too much blame put on the players for that situation. Just consider all the stuff fans threw on the court during the Nuggets-Knicks brawl or afterward....oh yeah, didn't happen.
    LOL

I won't, because its so long ago

But, definately LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I'd have done the same thing if a close friend of mine was in a similar situation. Happens all the time.
    And you will go to jail unlike what happened to Ron and Jack. You just can't do it that way Seth. No matter how you spin it throwing a punch was not considered reasonable force for being hit by beer.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/701260530

Judge: Jackson violated Mich. probation

Associated Press

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. -- Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Jackson violated his probation in Michigan when Indiana prosecutors charged him with firing a gun outside a strip club, a judge ruled Friday.

Jackson was serving probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery charges in September 2005 for his role in a 2004 brawl between Indiana Pacers players and fans at The Palace of Auburn Hills. He is charged in Indiana with criminal recklessness -- a felony -- and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct.

Jackson, who was traded to Golden State earlier this month, faces jail time. But his lawyer, James Burdick, said he believes District Court Judge Julie Nicholson will make a sentencing determination based on the outcome of the Indiana case.

Police said Jackson fired a gun in the air at least five times during an Oct. 6 fight outside Club Rio. Jackson originally told police that he fired the gun in self-defense, but Marion County (Ind.) Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said Jackson retrieved his gun from his car and fired it before he was struck and injured by another car. He could go to trial in February.

Jackson was one of several Pacers who went into the stands and fought with Detroit fans during one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history. Jackson was suspended 30 games and sentenced to a year of probation, community service and a fine.

Nicholson also said today that she would recommend releasing brawl participant Ron Artest from probation. Artest was hit with a cup filled with an icy beverage that night. The volatile player, who now is with the Sacramento Kings, bolted into the stands in a rage, followed by a fist-swinging Jackson.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    And you will go to jail unlike what happened to Ron and Jack. You just can't do it that way Seth. No matter how you spin it throwing a punch was not considered reasonable force for being hit by beer.
    No I wouldn't. Not for a first time, single punch, in that situation where I didn't take the first or second step, and which a decent case could be made that I had to fear for my life (due to the hundreds vs 12 situation).

What, you think no one ever punched a person and didn't serve time for it? Come on.

That incident affecting his FUTURE situations, like the Rio thing for example, is different. Which is why, in bold even, I said that jail time for that makes sense. The brawl puts his Rio situation in a different light, that's his main issue.

But his lawyer, James Burdick, said he believes District Court Judge Julie Nicholson will make a sentencing determination based on the outcome of the Indiana case.
    In other words, first offense being that brawl night and those circumstances make it uncertain that this is a pattern of behavior that needs to be curbed with punishment. But if his behavior at Rio is seen to be criminal then she will consider his whole history as a pattern rather than a couple of unfortunate situations in which his actions weren't that unusual.

At least that's how I read it. She isn't sitting over the Rio case and probably wants the Indiana judge to determine if Jack was a guy on probation with some bad luck, or a guy without control, before deciding the punishment.

Now that doesn't mean he's out of trouble at all. The gun I think he could get by with if everyone else was fighting and didn't stop till he fired off some warning shots. But if witnesses validate that he kicked a guy while he was down and while his group clearly had an advantage and would have been safe to just leave instead, then he's going to get jail time for this and then get the hammer from the probation too.

I bet he serves time over the summer. It's been done before with NBA players.