Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Personnel Evaluation

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    182

    Default Personnel Evaluation

    Were approximately half way through the season. Let's evaluate our team. To get us started, here are some grades based on observing nearly every home game so far ...

    Tinsley. Has shown a renewed interest in playing, even going on the floor after food poisoning. Performance is inconsistent. Has too many forced turnovers. Shooting is a weakness. Quickness has disappeared so his defense against dribble penetration is terrible. Calm demeanor makes his will-to-win hard to measure. Suspect, he's very competitive but keeps it inside so, who knows? Grade: C

    Foster. Remains an excellent rebounder for a guy who can't jump. Does this with savvy and experience. Plays defense the 'right way' -- with positioning and his feet. Help defense is first-rate. Offense, even free throw shooting, is at a 4-year low. This really hurts as it enables opponent to double team JO and kills any chance of a give-and-go or backdoor play. On this team, Steve Nash would not be an MVP when pass-after-pass bounces off your starting center's hands. Appears to handle starting or coming off the bench with emotional maturity. Probably a good team mate off the court. Grade: C-

    Armstrong. Great energy. Truely wants to win. Can't tell if he improves team chemistry. Would think his butt slapping and declaration that 'I'm the second coach' would not wear well with other veteran players. Good ball handler. Shouldn't ever shoot a 3 -- especially after he's played 10 minutes as his legs are toast. Pressures the ball which takes a couple of seconds off the opponent's clock on every possession. Grade: B+

    Daniels. Best penetrator on the team. Can take the ball to the basket when nothing else is working. Of course, this cuts O'Neal's 'touches' so maybe that explains why he's in Rick's doghouse. Rebounds well for a two. Defense is solid. PT should be doubled in 2nd half of season. Grade: B+

    O'Neal. JO's game has shown no real improvement over the past three seasons (has he peaked?). Is he 'old' after so many games and seasons? Can't tell if the "give-me-the-ball so I can back into double coverage and throw up a low-percentage turnaround jumper" offense is coming from Rick's 'controlling personality' or if it's just the way he plays. He's Mr. Windex on the defensive board but he's rarely in position to get a put-back when we shoot the ball. Defense is hard to evaluate. He plays with his hands but gets away with it because he is a consumate shot-blocker. Get's faked off his feet a lot because he dosn't know how to play defense -- and, Rick hasn't bothered to teach him. Generally, we don't ask him to play the other team's top front line player. Seems like a franchise player making $17M/year should be able to do so (example: Garnett). Leadership ability is marginal. Suspect teammates (present and past) don't care for his need to do all the shooting. If he's traded this summer, suspect we'll hear a great sigh of relief from the locker room. Grade: B- (relative to what's expected and what he's paid).

    Granger. Nice offensive game. Handle's the ball well for a three. Stopped rebounding this season -- not sure why. Not impressed with his defense. Last night, Chicago's Deng burned him for at least 10 points in the first quarter. Don't understand why Rick consistently asks him to guard people that outweigh him and are considerably taller. Perhaps so JO can save his energy for a triple team turnaround jumper. Handles on-court pressure well. Mouth is alway under control. Suspect he's well liked by team mates. Grade: B

    Greene. Can't handle the ball. Mr. Turnover. Too much energy spent trying to change referee decisions (can you say, "Jackson"?). No offensive game. Defense is limited because he's prone to foul. Boston was right. He's not NBA material. Grade: F

    Dunleavy (based on just 2 games). Interesting. Lots of energy. Can shoot and should have license to let-fly from anywhere on the court. Better rebounder than I expected. Can't dribble. Ball-handling skills suspect as he had unnecessay turnovers last night, anyway. He's got long arms and height which are great for defense. Footspeed is suspect. Emotional IQ seem OK on court. Is probably not a popular team mate in the locker room (Dukey! vs. High School) but is smart enough to keep his mouth shut. Grade -- again, after just 2 games: B

    Evaluations for Bastion, Murphy, Harrison, etc. I leave to the board regulars. But now, let's discuss our Coach.

    Rick. Controlling. Inability to adjust coaching style to player personnel. Has yet to design a play that gets us a good shot in the final seconds of a quarter. Players in his system don't 'get better'. Guess h can't teach. Runs a lax training camp (just ask the boys at the strip club why they had enough energy left over to party all-night). Handles press well. Rarely criticises his players in public. Classy face of the franchise. However, he plays favorites which is tough on team morale. If you're in his dog pen, you'll soon have splinters. Rotation is by the clock rather than who's hot and what's working. In terms of the locker room, suspect players respect him but don't like him. Grade: C-

    These are the grades from Professor Madison. Anyone care to add their two cents?

  2. #2
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    lmao @ JO's B-. He has been nothing but an A this year, this team would be the worst team in the NBA if it wasnt for Jermaine.

  3. #3
    John Ringo ApNeDtRiEeW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kokomo
    Age
    26
    Posts
    357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Jermaine can't play defense? Dunleavy has bad handles?

    A few other things I disagree with also but those are the biggest, it seems your not a big O'neal fan correct?

  4. #4
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,000

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Tinsley: D+ (The question is not IF, but WHEN)
    Foster: B- (Defense and rebounding yes, offense brings down his grade)
    Murphy: B (Better fit with JO. A slight upgrade over Foster)
    Armstrong: B+ (Red Bull! Energy baby!)
    Daniels: B+ (Helps with penetration and ball movement...getting a better stroke...one piece to a better back court)
    O'Neal: A (Maybe his best year)
    Granger: A- (Breaking out...All Star candidate next year)
    Greene: D (Would get a much higher grade if he didn't look lost on offense)
    Dunleavy: B+ (Adds things to this team that do not show up on the stat sheet...the other piece to a better back court)
    Williams: B (Will be a solid pro)
    Marshall: I (Is not getting a chance, but is highly skilled)
    Diogu: I (Has not had enough time on the court)
    Baston: C+ (good shotblocking, so-so offense)
    Harrison: D (Lucky to get a passing grade)
    Mcleod: I (Who is he again?)
    Rick: I (Too hard to grade IMO. Too many roster changes to make a judgment)
    Bird: C- (Great player, Poor GM IMO)

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,711

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Foster. Remains an excellent rebounder for a guy who can't jump. Does this with savvy and experience. Plays defense the 'right way' -- with positioning and his feet. Help defense is first-rate. Offense, even free throw shooting, is at a 4-year low. This really hurts as it enables opponent to double team JO and kills any chance of a give-and-go or backdoor play. On this team, Steve Nash would not be an MVP when pass-after-pass bounces off your starting center's hands. Appears to handle starting or coming off the bench with emotional maturity. Probably a good team mate off the court. Grade: C-

    I don't know where you are getting your free throw stats because yours are simply not correct.

    Source: Pacers.com

    Jeff is shooting 68% at this point in the season which is an alltime high

    07 - 68%
    06 - 60%
    05 - 63%
    04 - 67%
    03 - 54%
    02 - 61%

    And the next time I see a team double off of Jeff to double JO will be the first. Teams double JO with the point guard - they don't double team JO with Jeff's man. If you notice whenever JO gets the ball in a postup situation Jeff goes to the oppsoite low block and is ready to rebound and no team will leave him open in that area.

    However, I realize teams don't guard Jeff at all outside of about 10-12 feet - I realize teams back off Jeff to clog the lane - but no team just leaves Jeff roam free and no team commits his man to double team JOf leaving a guard or small forward to try and block Jeff out. No team does that. Last week in Miami we saw what happens when a a team leaves Jeff when a shot goes up. Zo who was guarding Jeff left him to try and block shots and jeff got 3 straight 3 point plays late in the 4th quarter.

    I don't consider Jeff to have bad hands - they aren't Dale Davis hands or Chris Webber - but I don't recall Jeff fumbling the ball away.

  6. #6
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Jermaine hasn't improved over the past 3 seasons? Are we watching the same guy?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. #7
    Member Dr. Goldfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    I question a number of grades in this thread so far.....


    How does Daniels warrant a B+ from both of you guys? What is that based on the last three games?
    Greene gets an F & D based on 87 minutes this year?

    I'm not gonna nitpick but those two stand out to me. I'd give Greene an Incomplete. I'd give Daniels and his career lows across the board a C- because he's not even playing what I'd consider average Marquis Daniels basketball. I'm remembering the whole season not just the last three games.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    O'Neal. JO's game has shown no real improvement over the past three seasons (has he peaked?). Is he 'old' after so many games and seasons? Can't tell if the "give-me-the-ball so I can back into double coverage and throw up a low-percentage turnaround jumper" offense is coming from Rick's 'controlling personality' or if it's just the way he plays. He's Mr. Windex on the defensive board but he's rarely in position to get a put-back when we shoot the ball. Defense is hard to evaluate. He plays with his hands but gets away with it because he is a consumate shot-blocker. Get's faked off his feet a lot because he dosn't know how to play defense -- and, Rick hasn't bothered to teach him. Generally, we don't ask him to play the other team's top front line player. Seems like a franchise player making $17M/year should be able to do so (example: Garnett). Leadership ability is marginal. Suspect teammates (present and past) don't care for his need to do all the shooting. If he's traded this summer, suspect we'll hear a great sigh of relief from the locker room. Grade: B- (relative to what's expected and what he's paid).
    I agree completely with above, he's our best player but certainly has enough flaws that makes an "A" grade impossible.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

  9. #9
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,828

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    How does Daniels warrant a B+ from both of you guys? What is that based on the last three games?
    Greene gets an F & D based on 87 minutes this year?
    Exactly what I though upon reading, too. How can Daniels get a higher grade than Granger based on his minutes and performance throughout? Neither IMO has played their best ball yet although both seem to have made positive strides thanks to the trade.

    Also, JO B-??!! Foster C-? Really? In addition, I think Baston in the small amount of inconsistent minutes might be a B- and I'd give Tins a C+.

  10. #10
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,000

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I question a number of grades in this thread so far.....


    How does Daniels warrant a B+ from both of you guys? What is that based on the last three games?
    Greene gets an F & D based on 87 minutes this year?

    I'm not gonna nitpick but those two stand out to me. I'd give Greene an Incomplete. I'd give Daniels and his career lows across the board a C- because he's not even playing what I'd consider average Marquis Daniels basketball. I'm remembering the whole season not just the last three games.
    Grading never was fair in all cases. You have a pretty good point on Quis. His grade has risen primarily because it is based on the "new" Pacer team. He has stepped it up since given an opportunity. The same could be said about Granger. Quis would have received a C a few games ago...and Granger a B or B+.

    Foster also probably deserves a little better than a B- from me. He is the reason we are not well under .500. His grade would have been much higher prior to the trade, B+ easy. Maybe that's what I should have given him. However, his grade, fair or not, reflects what I think of Murphy and Dunleavy. I think adding them to the roster reduces Foster's value to this team. He was always so valuable because of his rebounding. Rebounding is no longer a problem IMO. His D is still an asset we need, so I would be hesistant to move him unless we get a very good deal.

  11. #11
    Member Roferr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    70
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know where you are getting your free throw stats because yours are simply not correct.

    Source: Pacers.com

    Jeff is shooting 68% at this point in the season which is an alltime high

    07 - 68%
    06 - 60%
    05 - 63%
    04 - 67%
    03 - 54%
    02 - 61%

    And the next time I see a team double off of Jeff to double JO will be the first. Teams double JO with the point guard - they don't double team JO with Jeff's man. If you notice whenever JO gets the ball in a postup situation Jeff goes to the oppsoite low block and is ready to rebound and no team will leave him open in that area.

    However, I realize teams don't guard Jeff at all outside of about 10-12 feet - I realize teams back off Jeff to clog the lane - but no team just leaves Jeff roam free and no team commits his man to double team JOf leaving a guard or small forward to try and block Jeff out. No team does that. Last week in Miami we saw what happens when a a team leaves Jeff when a shot goes up. Zo who was guarding Jeff left him to try and block shots and jeff got 3 straight 3 point plays late in the 4th quarter.

    I don't consider Jeff to have bad hands - they aren't Dale Davis hands or Chris Webber - but I don't recall Jeff fumbling the ball away.
    Agreed, and where did he ever get the idea that Jeff can't jump? Jeff is a leaper. During IT's reign, he had a policy that 3 players had to dunk the ball from the ft line before practice ended. Foster was one who could do it, Jones and I think maybe Bender was the third...can't really remember. Anyway, Jeff can still jump!
    .

  12. #12
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Foster - B - A high-energy player who knows and accepts his role.
    O'Neal - A- - Has played well and tried to lead. The blocks are great.
    Murphy - B - Will eventually fit-in well. I hope he keeps playing hard.
    Granger - B+ - Has shown improvement. Looks ready to be #2.
    Williams - B - Has shown us why he was drafted. Needs to get stronger.
    Dunleavy - B+ - Would be an 'A' if he was shooting better.
    Daniels - C+ - Gets the plus for the last 3 games.
    Tinsley - C - Has shown flashes of dedication and effort.
    Armstrong - A - All the 'If he were only younger' comments are right on.
    Greene - I - I haven't seen much, but I haven't been impressed.
    Baston, Marshall - I - Decent players, but I'm glad we don't have to play them much.
    Harrison - I/F - Should be on the floor and contributing, the situation was right for him to supplant Foster this year and he didn't step up.

    RC - His people skills and discipline are all that's really holding him back as a coach. I think in some respects he might be, or may have been, afraid of the players. He clearly knows basketball, though, and if he can bring the teams focus back to defense this could be a contending team.
    Grade - B-

    Larry & Donnie - You can't say they haven't tried. James White has really been their only mistake so far this year as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have him sitting on our bench than Marshall. Giving the 1st rounder to Atlanta may be risky, but if Dunleavy & Murphy continue playing well and Diogu develops into player he's projected to be, no one will care that we didn't draft another decent to good player in the late teens or 20's of this draft. Based on what little we've seen so far, the GS trade has worked out incredibly well, and Daniels is finally starting to show something.

    Grade - A for effort, B- for results

  13. #13
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foster. can't jump.


    That said, err shown, I don't think Jeff gets up quite like he used to.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  14. #14
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,620

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Tinsley: C- I haven't been too impressed with his play but I have to give him props on playing in 40 straight games. I don't hate watching him play as much as I have in the past but he's still a mess when it comes to his shooting and shot selection.

    Foster: B- Defense has been okay but his rebounding ability seems to have diminished a bit. Still a pretty solid and dependable guy.

    Murphy: B- Hard to give him an accurate rating based on 3 games but I think he'll be a very good fit for this team. Good solid player who knows his role. His rebounding is a big plus.

    Armstrong: B+ I love DA and always have. He still has it too.

    Daniels: C+ His mid-range game is a joy to watch. The new roster makeover will allow him to put the ball on the floor more where he's at his best.

    O'Neal: A When he's out of the game the team struggles, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

    Granger: A- He's coming into his own and starting to live up to the Pippen hype. Still needs to improve his on the ball defense.

    Greene: D I'm really disappointed in his lack of ballhandling. If he had good handles, he'd actually be a decent 3rd-string PG.

    Dunleavy: B+ IMO, he was having a much better season in GS although the stats may not bear that out. I definitely think he was a good addition and he should blossom in Indy.

    Williams: C I'm not sold on him. He still looks lost out on the court. He has potential but potential is a tricky thing to estimate.

    Marshall: C I actually like Marshall but I don't think he's a good fit for this team. Reminds me of Norm Richardson and Rasual Butler. Guys that can score but don't bring a lot of other skills to the table.

    Baston: C+ About what I expected. Good energy guy off the bench. Probably deserves more minutes but he's playing behind a crowded frontcourt.

    Harrison: F If he wasn't so screwed in the head he could be a decent player.

    Rick: B I can't lay much blame on Rick considering he was placed in a bad situation by TPTB - FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW!

    Bird: C He's done an average job. Should've traded Jackson and Tinsley over the summer but then again maybe there were no takers. Did a good job in getting Marquis and Harrington (he had to get something for Peja) and got the GS deal done.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    LOL Doug.. I remember that pic from a few years ago when I think it beat out one of Jordan's pics for NBA photo of the year Is that Mags in that pic? I bet he doesn't want to be traded to Indy, cuz well, I wouldn't want to come here after having a face full of Jeff Foster's ***

  16. #16

    Default This team is average

    At the mid-point of this season, this team is exactly average. What I am saying is that since this team is basically playing .500 ball, how can you give anyone in the organization anything over a "C"?

    At the end of the day - you can hand out all the A's and B's that you want, but in the end they are a .500 team. Wins and losses are all that really counts.

    It is what it is, no matter how pretty you want to dress them up.

    I laugh at people giving out mostly A's and B's when the team is "average". Just does not add up to me.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Tinsley: C- Horrible, horrible statistics in every department except A/TO.

    Foster: C- Great rebounder, does exactly nothing else.

    Daniels: C- Hopefully more PT is in order, and hopefully he steps it up.

    Granger: B One of few bright spots on this team. Looks capable of 18-20PPG.

    O'Neal: A- He still isn't nearly as efficient as he should be, but he's JO, and his defense has improved.

    Williams: B- Still has a ways to go, but is closer than I thought. Is ready for more minutes IMO. He and Granger are my silver linings for this season.

    Dunleavy, Murphy, Marshall, Diogu, Greene: Incomplete

    Armstrong: C Hustles, but isn't very good. Also he's old so he isn't especially reliable for a backup PG.

    Baston: C Play this guy more. He scores, hits free throws and hustles.

  18. #18
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Halfway point is a fine time for reflection. Grades are given as a combination of performance and expectations.

    Been Here All Year
    • O'Neal - Has had a very good year. I'd like to see him work more on the "make those around him better" stuff, but I can't fault his play this season. Grade: A
    • Foster - A solid role player willing to do the dirty work. His offense has been quite suspect, but his shot has been improving. Still cleans the glass, provides steals, and does a good job staying in front of his man. I'm interested to see if Foster and Murphy can sub in and keep each other fresh, reducing the chance of injuries. Grade: B
    • Armstrong - Sold to us as a Bandaid for the locker room on his way to being a coach, he has proven a solid energy guy off the bench. Takes risks on defense, but his veteran presence appears to outweigh the negatives. Higher grade for exceeding expectations. Grade: A-
    • Tinsley - Worked hard in the offseason to stay healthy. Has had flashes of brilliance, and moments that make you cringe. I can't fault his effort, and having someone who can bring it up the court and dump it to O'Neal reliably is fine. I look for his play to improve, or get replaced. Grade: B-
    • Marshall - Had one stellar game at the beginning of the season, but little after that. Lost the starting role opportunity presented to him. Still quite young. Grade: C
    • Baston - Slow start to the season, but has provided quality minutes off the bench as a rebounder, shot blocker, finisher, and late game fouler. Could be looking forward to some DNPs, but he has shown us why we went out to get him. Grade: B
    • Daniels - For all his hype, it was a rough start to the season. As of late he has started to shine. I look for him to continue to improve within the system as the year goes on. Grade: B-
    • Granger - Walker "Texas" Granger has continued to win the hearts of local fans with his game. I don't feel the need to justify this grade any more. Grade: A
    • Harrison - Another backup that blew his starting chance. I would like to see him traded while he still has potential. If he can't be packaged with someone, I would like to trade him for a second round pick. Grade: F
    • Williams - An eyebrow raiser on draft day, he is just starting to see some playing time. I look forward to watching his progress, as he hasn't had much time on the court. Grade: B
    • Greene - A defensive point that can't seem to put it together offensively. Could possibly help us in the near future when paired with another creator like Dunleavy or Daniels. Grade: D
    New Blood
    • Murphy - A fresh start will do him good, and pairing him with a real post presence will be mutually beneficial. Grade: B+
    • Dunleavy - I like what he brings to the team. Smarts, fundamentals, and versatility. I look for him to thrive in this system. Grade: B+
    • Diogu - A big "wait and see". I hope he's half as good as the hype would lead you to believe. Grade: C
    • Mcleod - I haven't seen him play, but I know he has more game than Eddie Gill. Grade: I
    Nu Warriors
    • Harrington - Early in the season, Al had some games that made you think "that's why they brought him here". Next game would leave you wondering the opposite. Improved 3pt shooting is a plus, but his work on boxing out, grabbing boards, and defense seemed below expectations. Adjusting to playing 3 different spots on the floor could have lead to some of his faltering. Grade: D
    • Jackson - I was impressed with his all-around game this year. When his shot wasn't falling, he was providing hustle on the other end. Problems off the court haunted him, but it seemed that his maturity level on the court had improved. I'd like to have seen him in a place like Houston where he could be the third option on a slower paced team. Grade: B
    • Saras - I was disappointed with his performance last year, and attribute at least some of it to getting married. I think his fundamentals had improved this year, and it seemed like he was getting closer to turning the corner. Still a problem on defense, but his ineptitude with bringing the ball up under pressure seemed to have improved. For his sake, I hope he ends up with the Cavs or back in Europe. Grade: B-
    • Powell - Best of luck to "like Udonis Haslem, but better". We never really got to see what he could bring. Grade: C
    The Brass
    • Carlisle - Another tumultuous year, and yet we are still above .500. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a group that appears more "coachable". Grade: B+
    • Bird/ Walsh - Making moves in basketball is always a gamble, but I think our management gets the better of most deals. I'm waiting to see what these tight-lipped plotters cook up next. Grade: B+
    The Team
    • Pacers - Exceeding my expectations so far this year. They appear to be improving, and they are fun to watch. Keep up the good work. Grade: B+

  19. #19
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    im going to use maragin's format, because i liked it... so, with apologies to him...

    Been Here All Year fficeffice" />>>
    • O'Neal – I have to say, I haven’t been ridiculously impressed, but he’s been solid all season. He worried me sitting out with injuries so early in the season given his last few. Defensively he’s shown a lot of improvement. Grade: B+ >>
    • Foster – For years, I wasn’t sold on Foster. I blame Isaiah for that, because I felt Croshere could have blossomed had Thomas not given Foster all the playing time. However, I’m a Foster fan. He’s great on the boards and defensively. I do wish he had a little more offensive talent but... Grade: B >>
    • Armstrong – I have always loved him, and I could never understand why he bounced around so much late in his career. I assumed it was because he couldn’t play anymore (given how few minutes he was getting in ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Dallaslace>). But DA has been fantastic. You can tell he loves the game and loves to play and I think that is contagious. Grade: A >>
    • Tinsley – I am happy he has played 40 games. That thrills me to no end. But, apart from that I haven’t been impressed with his inconsistency. There were a few games in a row where he was quite good, but can’t seem to put a good stretch together anymore. Grade: C+ >>
    • lace w:st="on">Marshalllace> – Good preseason, not enough regular season time to really show what he could be capable of. I can’t fault him totally for lack of minutes. Grade: C >>
    • Baston – Maceo has been impressive recently when he’s had a chance to play significant minutes. I certainly feel he has proved more than Runi why we brought him over. Grade: B- >>
    • Daniels – Quis I believe is the victim of the roster. He wasn’t playing well in limited minutes and had a number of DNP-CDs, part of the vicious cycle of not playing well because he wasn’t getting minutes but not getting more minutes because he wasn’t playing well. But I liked what I saw against lace w:st="on">Miamilace> and I hope he can become the player we hoped he would be at the beginning of the season. Grade: C+ >>
    • Granger – Had a rough start. I’m not entirely sure why. But since moving to the bench and recently has demonstrated why we loved him. He does need to improve consistency and defensively, but he’s making good progress. Grade: B+ >>
    • lace w:st="on">Harrisonlace> – By far, the most disappointing player this season. Hopefully he’ll be moved while he is still worth something. I feel he could flourish with the right coach or with more minutes but his poor play hasn’t warranted more minutes with Baston and Powell playing at higher, more intelligent levels. I think he needs to move on. Grade: D >>
    • Williams – I can’t say really. He had a great first game and then he’s been fairly silent since. I think he needs work but I think he proved that TPTB weren’t crazy for drafting him. Grade: C >>
    • Greene – Lost. Can’t figure out why. Needs more minutes maybe, but so far he’s been disappointing. Grade: D+>>
    New Blood >>
    • Murphy – Hopefully he’ll Brad Miller (circa Pacers) up the place. I’ve been satisfied with his Pacer play thus far but not wowed. Grade: B- >>
    • Dunleavy – So far he has given us a lot of what SJax gave us on the court, the differences being his poor 3pt% and his improved ballhandling / passing / court vision. I’ve been impressed and I certainly like his demeanor more than SJax. Grade: B >>
    • Diogu – I’m not concerned by his slow start…yet. He showed good moments last season with GSW so I think he could develop. From my estimation, he seems to have more sense about him than lace w:st="on">Harrisonlace> so that is cause for hope. Grade: C >>
    • Mcleod – I hear good things. Grade: I>>
    Nu Warriors >>
    • Harrington – Wildly inconsistent. Had brilliant moments and horrendous ones. I don’t know if we should have given up as quickly as we did, but I like what we received in return. Grade: C >>
    • lace w:st="on">Jacksonlace> – Recently began to play a lot better than I’d seen from him since joining the Pacers. He was showing consistency which I appreciated. I was surprised that we moved both SJax and Al together but I did feel it was only a matter of time until something happened with SJax again. Grade: B- >>
    • Saras – I think he’ll be great with GSW. I thought he’d do well in PHX too. He needs to play Euro-ball to be successful. He is a defensive liability but I believe he is a fantastic shooter. I think the system in lace w:st="on">Indianalace> just didn’t work out. I’m not sure who (RC, LB or SarJ) should be blamed for that more. Grade: C- >>
    • Powell – Wish we would have traded lace w:st="on">Harrisonlace> but I don’t think he would have worked in Nellie’s system. Grade: C>>
    The Brass >>
    • lace w:st="on">Carlislelace> – I like Rick. I do. I think he has had to deal with many things other coaches never do while at lace w:st="on">Indianalace>. To me the fact that we’ve been in the playoffs is a testament to both his coaching and the weak East. I think we’re finally going to see what Rick can do now. I can’t give him great marks for obvious reasons, because he shares in some of the blame with players and rotations, but I think we’re lucky to have a coach of his caliber. Grade: B >>
    • Bird/ Walsh – My typical reaction to a B/W trade is “….huh?” Sometimes their moves come out of nowhere and don’t seem logical (like going after Al, and the Peja/NOK trade, SWilliams) but most of the time it doesn’t make the Pacers worse. It may not work but they’re certainly not afraid to pull the trigger. And the Peja/NOK deal was brilliant from my perspective; we never should have had that opportunity…which cancels out the White blunder. Grade: B->>
    The Team >>
    • Pacers – Here we go again… hopefully we’ll hit our stride and avoid any more problems this season. Grade: C>>
    This is the darkest timeline.

  20. #20
    Tyrant maragin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    im going to use maragin's format, because i liked it... so, with apologies to him...
    It's actually quite flattering, thank you.

  21. #21
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,747

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunleavy – So far he has given us a lot of what SJax gave us on the court, the differences being his poor 3pt% and his improved ballhandling / passing / court vision. I’ve been impressed and I certainly like his demeanor more than SJax. Grade: B fficeffice" />>>
    I think as Dunleavy's comfort level with the team rises, and he becomes comfortable with his role on the team, his shooting will take care of itself. I don't know why some people classify him as a bad shooter. He has good form, and takes his shots within the flow of the offense. I don't know if we'll really be able to measure him in this capacity for awhile. The big difference with Dunleavy is that even when his jumper is off, he doesn't stop contributing to the team. It seemed with Al and JAX, if their jumpers weren't going, you didn't get much else from them.

  22. #22
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Personnel Evaluation

    no i agree... i just said that in 3 games he's been similar to Jax EXCEPT Jax was a better 3pt shooter and Dunleavy is a significantly better playmaker. it was just a 3 game analysis.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •