Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One-On-One With Al Harrington

Mood

Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

Quote Originally Posted by GntsTel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not understand why there is so much anger concerning just a few words that Al said and which, in most part, are true.

Most of what TO says is true too. But there's just some things better kept to your self. Like LT said, show some class. If everybody spoke out about every single "true" thing, the world would be a mess. Besides, Al was treated so well here. Whether his opinion of RC's system is true in his eyes to me is irrelevant of the kind of reaction and feedback he gave regarding his 2nd stay here. Show some class, Indiana treated AL like royalty. So if he was really happy about being moved he didn't have to take shots at us like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    Al's acting like a *****. I really question the guys will to win. Seem's like a selfish, me-first, stats-whore to me.
    I had my opinion of him during his first stint here. He would check his stat line the first thing in the locker room, win or lose. What does that say about how much of a team-orientated player he is? He's always been a selfish player and probably always will be.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Anyone who asks to be traded away from a central role on a 61 win team has his priorities all ****ed up anyway.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Several others have pointed this out--Donnie and Larry had to get something with that trade exemption, and Al was the only thing available.

By trading Al last week, Donnie and Larry look very good. They figured out a way, albeit in unweildy fashon, to get some value for Artest/Peja.
    I never thought of it that way.... makes perfect sense though.

Though, it could be that it just LOOKS that way now after all is said and done, and not really an elborate plan that Walsh and Bird put together a long time ago.

However it eventually turned out I still feel that it was a PR move originally.

Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    However it eventually turned out I still feel that it was a PR move originally.
    Oh, I don't think anyone here is discounting the PR part. It was a huge PR move. Fans don't get excited about having a trade exception, but they do get excited about getting a popular, flashy power forward who lived in Antonio Davis' basement.

There was definitely a PR angle to the move. I'm just saying that's not ALL it was. It made sense financially (got Al at a short-term, reasonable contract) and in terms of finding tradable pieces (since you can't bundle an exception).
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

GS will not be Al's last team. When this contract is over he will move on to a lesser contract. DW/LB knew Al wasn't worth $60M/6 years but he was all they could get when Peja pulled his big surprise exit. Al will continue to have great stat games but will not help his team win close ones. Stats don't really tell Al's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Oh, I don't think anyone here is discounting the PR part. It was a huge PR move. Fans don't get excited about having a trade exception, but they do get excited about getting a popular, flashy power forward who lived in Antonio Davis' basement.

There was definitely a PR angle to the move. I'm just saying that's not ALL it was. It made sense financially (got Al at a short-term, reasonable contract) and in terms of finding tradable pieces (since you can't bundle an exception).
    I think there was also a "team chemistry" angle to the trade. That Al was perceived as an upbeat, positive guy, who could help both our on court and off court chemistry.

Whoops. They got that one wrong.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I think there was also a "team chemistry" angle to the trade. That Al was perceived as an upbeat, positive guy, who could help both our on court and off court chemistry.

Whoops. They got that one wrong.
    But because he had what was viewed as a very reasonable contract, it was easy for TPTB to move him.

I continue to see no bad side of signing Al Harrington.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!