Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: One-On-One With Al Harrington

  1. #1

    Default One-On-One With Al Harrington

    I had a chance to talk to Al before the Laker game - talks a bit about the Pacers and Carlisle.

    link

    "In Rick's system, nobody can dribble the ball up the court but the point guard. Stuff like that. I'm better than that . . . "

  2. #2
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Thanks Eric - and welcome back!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  3. #3
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Pincus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "In Rick's system, nobody can dribble the ball up the court but the point guard. Stuff like that. I'm better than that . . . "
    He's got Dunleavy bringing the ball up the court, doesn't he?

    I think he doesn't trust Al on the fast break. And he shouldn't.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #4
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,230

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    "I'm happy that I'm out of Indy."

    "[Golden State] was really my first choice in the summer anyway."


    But, wait a minute here... I thought it was all about the "winning?" Well, GS is basically Hawks West, so have fun in pretty much the same situation you were in before, Al.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Al's acting like a *****. I really question the guys will to win. Seem's like a selfish, me-first, stats-whore to me.

  6. #6
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,230

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Al's acting like a *****. I really question the guys will to win. Seem's like a selfish, me-first, stats-whore to me.
    Who would have ever figured that Baby Al would turn out to be like this? Seriously, it's like he's a completely different person, both as a player and a person. And not for the better.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    My guess is his feelings were hurt by the trade a lot more than he originally let on. He probably feels betrayed by the Pacers and their fans and is now acting kind of childish in return, making it seem like he never wanted to be here in the first place. Like when you get dumped by a girl, "Psshh....I never really liked her anyways.".......before going to your room to cry into your pillow.

  8. #8
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who would have ever figured that Baby Al would turn out to be like this? Seriously, it's like he's a completely different person, both as a player and a person. And not for the better.
    And I agree with Quis too, his feelings must have been hurt more than he let on.

    It's one thing to be somewhat frustrated with the situation and happy to try something fresh, but he seems to be pouring it on a little bit. When you consider that he's already been through this once with the Pacers you'd sort of expect him to deal with it better and have more perspective.

    It's not like any of the fans wanted it to fail. We loved the guy and he was the most popular player at this year's FanJam. It's only been 3 months ago.


    I know the Warriors really were another choice for him and can believe he even favored that situation, but if you saw him come out of the tunnel when he was introduced at FJ, you knew he was happy to be back. That smile he showed in my last sig picture (Fun is Back) wasn't fake.

    He needs to grow up just a bit and get past the sour grapes. Hopefully he'll mesh better with the Warriors and everything will work out for him and the Pacers as well. If that happens he'll realize all this griping didn't do him a bit of good, especially with his image.


    It would be a lot different if he was getting the Jackson treatment out the door. Honestly I get the vibe that Jack is less bitter about Indy and having to leave at this point. Go figure that one.

  9. #9
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Pretty sad.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,626

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    While it's not fair to pick out quotes, then hammer the guy on it, I'm going to do it anyway...

    I'm here now and they allowing us to play basketball and have fun. That's what it's all about.
    No, Al, that's not what it's all about. I can't remember the last time I came home from a game and said to myself, "Well, the Pacers got blown out. Again. But the players are having fun, so it's all good."
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  11. #11
    PD original FireTheCoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    southport, indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Harrington has always been worth far less than Pacer fans gave him credit for.

    He's a loser.... pissed me off that he came back here in the first place. IMHO it was a PR move bringing him back seeing as how he was a fan fav and all.... NOT a fav of mine of course, but the local yokels seemed to like him for some reason I could never figure out.

    Personally, I'm as happy that he's not a Pacer as I am that Jacksons gone. People that think Al Harrington is a good basketball player must not really watch much basketball..... thats all I can figure cause the dude is straight mediocre as they get.

  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    I don't think Al's feelings were hurt at all. When Donnie first told him he was traded Al smiled.

  13. #13
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    You would think playing with the guys back in 2000 they would of taught him some class.

  14. #14
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Well the Warriors used to be my 2nd favorite team, after all this crap Al has talked I hope they lose every game so Al can watch us in the playoffs. But just as long as Al gets to bring the ball up the court and play no defense, and has his fun. All is good.

  15. #15

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Like Artest, I've lost all respect for Al Harrington. When he left the 1st time, I felt bad for him because I believed he was right; he wouldn't have gotten a chance to be a starter (PF) as long as the Pacers had JO. But when he came back (and most who know me as INdyBoy39 on IndyStar forum know I'm not usually in favor of reacquiring former players), I thought he'd be more mature and ready to do whatever it took to win and be part of a winning organization (or atleast one that was trying like heck to do some things better).

    After reading his post-trade commentary, the above article included, I'm glad he's gone! I've never used the term "cancer" to describe a player before, but I'm convinced he and Stephen Jackson were two players (and hopefully the last) who really didn't want to be here and did everything they could to make things unpleasant on and off the court. The more I read about him post-trade, the better I feel about the Pacers letting him go.

    I said it before the first time he left, "be careful what you wish for...". He wanted to go to a team where he could pretty much do whatever he wanted. Well, he's got it! And I hope he soon regrets it. He and Stephen both!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Harrington has always been worth far less than Pacer fans gave him credit for.

    He's a loser.... pissed me off that he came back here in the first place. IMHO it was a PR move bringing him back seeing as how he was a fan fav and all.... NOT a fav of mine of course, but the local yokels seemed to like him for some reason I could never figure out.

    Personally, I'm as happy that he's not a Pacer as I am that Jacksons gone. People that think Al Harrington is a good basketball player must not really watch much basketball..... thats all I can figure cause the dude is straight mediocre as they get.

    Truer words have never been spoken

  17. #17
    Nude Poster Shack80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    "F" Al I really don;t care what he thinks about it. I wa not thriled he was traded for. No wait, I was unhappy about it. I treid to buy into to it, but no. I liked Al the first time, but he was a bad fit. I really don't care how he does in the future, just does not matter to me. Good luck Al so long, and STFU on your way out.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodside,NY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    I wish Al best of luck in his new home especially since Al has been one of my favorites Pacers but lets be real here.Al Harrington came into this league as a powerfully built Small Forward who was very explosive.Which is a unique combination.At his age when he first came in his defense was great for a player without much experience.He was also very versatile he reminded many of Antwan Walker(like Walker though he hasn't lived up to expectations) with his ability to grab a board and be able to start a break with his ball handling skills then he tore his leg up and never been the same player.

    He know longer shares the skills I mentioned above, He had to re invent him self into low post scorer and a good one at that and is still a quality player maybe even a borderline all star in the right situation but that being said he does nothing else other then want to score. His inability to rebound is really pathetic for a guy 6'9, hes no longer a very good defender, hell he's probably not even average at this stage of the game, and I have no idea what happened to his ball handling skills post ACL injury.While hes got a great build he is no longer then explosive player we saw in his first couple of years. I don't blame Rick one second for the way he used Al Harrington.I think Rick believed everyting I just wrote which is why we saw Rick use him as a half court oriented low post scorer and not as a point forward like Al thinks he is.

  19. #19
    Member denyfizle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nap Town
    Posts
    1,409
    Mood

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    It's all good. I was never a big fan of AL anyway. He just doesn't fight inside the paint. He obviously exerts his best towards padding up his points but he doesn't box out or anything like that. I don't like Carlisle but it's not like I'll be salty at him for making some dude named Al Harrington dislike playing here. Jack & AL = Good riddance. I thought AL was cool before all this bitter coments he's been dishing out but now he's simply a one dimensional overrated player to me-which outside of the loyalty we felt for him is what he's always been anyway.

  20. #20

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    I do not understand why there is so much anger concerning just a few words that Al said and which, in most part, are true.

    Was the playing style different from when you played in Indy the first time?
    No, it was the same. That's kind of the reasons I left the first time. Going back, I hoped it be different.

    In Rick's system, nobody can dribble the ball up the court but the point guard. Stuff like that.
    Why don't you discuss these statements and what they really mean?

    Instead, you behave like the guys that were left by their girlfriend.

    Why do you peaple are so angry? May be because with your spinal cord you feel that he might be absolutely right?

    RC does not trust his players. In addition, he calls near to 100% of plays. But, if the coach doesn't trust the player, does not allow him to decide himself on the court how to play, the player will never have the confidence that any champion has to have. All team will just be trying to follow strictly the coach's instructions and, in most cases, such a team will never become a great one.

    I always thought that bascetball is played for entairtainment. Both for fans and players. If playing bascetball is just his job, the player will not ever become a great one. Neither the team. Meanwhile, tell me how many times during the last years you have seen pacers playing bascetball and having fun?

    By the way, Al also said:
    '[Rick Carlisle] is a good coach and it's a good team. I wish them the best.'

  21. #21
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    WHATEVER AL?!?!!? GOOD LUCK HERE IN OAKTOWN!

  22. #22
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by GntsTel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not understand why there is so much anger concerning just a few words that Al said and which, in most part, are true.

    Why don't you discuss these statements and what they really mean?
    Okay.

    It means Al Harrington has ego problems leading to self-deception.

    When he bring the ball up the court, it leads to turnovers. Same for Stephen Jackson.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  23. #23
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by FireTheCoach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a loser.... pissed me off that he came back here in the first place. IMHO it was a PR move bringing him back seeing as how he was a fan fav and all.... NOT a fav of mine of course, but the local yokels seemed to like him for some reason I could never figure out.
    Several others have pointed this out--Donnie and Larry had to get something with that trade exemption, and Al was the only thing available.

    By trading Al last week, Donnie and Larry look very good. They figured out a way, albeit in unweildy fashon, to get some value for Artest/Peja.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  24. #24
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by Shack80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "F" Al I really don;t care what he thinks about it. I wa not thriled he was traded for. No wait, I was unhappy about it. I treid to buy into to it, but no. I liked Al the first time, but he was a bad fit. I really don't care how he does in the future, just does not matter to me. Good luck Al so long, and STFU on your way out.
    I am totally on the same page, except he can talk on the way out if he likes that so much, I think we could use it as extra motivation against them.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  25. #25
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,230

    Default Re: One-On-One With Al Harrington

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Several others have pointed this out--Donnie and Larry had to get something with that trade exemption, and Al was the only thing available.

    By trading Al last week, Donnie and Larry look very good. They figured out a way, albeit in unweildy fashon, to get some value for Artest/Peja.
    agreed. they even got a young player back (diogu) to make up for the 2007 #1 used to acquire harrington.

    to be honest, i was down on the harrington sign-and-trade, because i thought the exception was more flexible and that tptb wouldn't trade harrington so soon after he signed. shows just how much i know, i guess

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •