Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Bulls postgame thread - Pacers have found "their point guard"

Default Re: Pacers Bulls postgame thread - Pacers have found their point guard

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The announced crowd was 13,233.
    Well I guess my post back in October questioning those who said they would never go to another game if Jackson was still on the Pacers. I guess I've been proven "wrong". People are flocking back to the Pacers in droves.

The point I was making back in October is that those people who said they would never go to anopther Pacers game if Jax was still on the team - were fans who never went to games anyway. (disclaimer: I'm talking in general terms I'm sure there are some)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Only 13 minutes for Foster...anything we should know?
    I think it's important to notice that we beat them badly on the boards without really using Foster. No way that would ever happen prior to the trade.

Dunleavy and Murphy might make Jeff a tradeable commodity. Not saying we should do that. Murphy did not play well and still pulled down 8 boards and scored 7 points...and had 4 assists. I think he will blow up for 15 and 12 sometime soon. He's a talented player.

Dunleavy should be our PG...er, Point-forward. I think he's underrated on defense.

I really think it's obvious these guys fit better on our team. Jack was a loss from a talent standpoint, but he had to go.

Default Re: Pacers Bulls postgame thread - Pacers have found "their point guard"

How long til people start whining about Dunleavy's .367 shooting %?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Come on, UB....

You can't start a 38-year old PG. His legs would be gone in a month.
    Sure, if it's someone like Chris Webber who's broken down at the age of 34. But someone like Darrell Armstrong? This guy could seemingly play 30+ minutes a night until he's 50. He's showing no signs of slowing down.

Default Re: Pacers Bulls postgame thread - Pacers have found "their point guard"

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Armstrong is who the pacers need. Too bad he's 38. But if he could I'd love to see him play 38 minutes a night. I love DA

One thing I noticed tonight is the Pacers are a better team when Dunleavy is on the court. I really like his game, he just makes things work, he makes the smart play, good team defender and usually makes the right decision. His pass along the baseline to Murph was a thing of beauty.

The bottom line on Dunleavy is this: when he's out of the game the Pacers suffer and I noticed tonight that I missed him when he was on the bench and couldn't wait to see him on the court again.

I love DA - that is the type of player I've wanted at point guard for years. A leader, a hustler - sure he's not the most talented point guard, but I love him.

More later
    The DA who played tonight would lead us to a championship if he played like that every game. Hustle is the most important part of the game IMO, especially at the PG position. Of course, that was probably his best game he has played in a few years. Still, it is also better than any game that Tinsley has played this year.

I have no problem with him getting 30+ mins. Who cares if he is 38 years old, the guy plays with more effort than almost everyone else younger than him in the league.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On the point guard issue, if we can't turn the clock back on Army...how about finding/getting a player that is similar? Too bad only one or two players come to mind.

Are there any point guards that play with Armstrong's intensity and skill? Jameer Nelson came to mind for me, but I don't see Orlando letting him go anytime soon.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    Probably not too long...

BUT, I felt safe with him on the court. I feel he is gonna do the right thing. When Jackson would get the ball with 10 seconds on the shotclock I would hold my breath and say, "Cmon man yer due to hit one!!" and more often than not I would be surprised when something good came out of that. Don't get me wrong though, I loved Jacksons hustle (when not whining at the refs), toughness and D. But he didn't always make the right plays on offense.
    Junior seems to be much more skilled in that sense... making the right offensive plays. I found myself wanting Rick to put him back in the game when he was out.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Only 13 minutes for Foster...anything we should know?
    Well, I think we should know he's improved his shooting to 86% these last 4 games. (12 of 14)

I'm not going to complain about Dunleavy's shooting % because that isn't his game. He isn't a shooter, he's a faciliatator.

Roam, I can't think of any point guards who play like DA. He's unique

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I hope Diogu isn't given up on or passed by for now. I understand that it will take him some time, but I hope Rick doesn't keep him out of the rotation
    Honestly?

I like Ike, but would be completely fine with having HIM be the trade bait with Tinsley. For this team, Foster is more valuable. Plus, I'd like to see more of Baston. And teams looking for young prospects would snap up somebody like Ike, but not necessarily Foster.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

look at it this way, IF the pacers start to roll with the unit we have and it still remains obvious we need a pg to take it to the next level, i believe we'll look to make that move. we definitely have 2 young, very attractive pieces in diogu and shawne that could get us that pg.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If a 38-year-old PG is our answer, the question must be "How can the Pacers skyrocket toward the #1 draft pick?"

Dunleavy is known for his inconsistency, so let's see where he goes from here.
    You are reading too much into the Warriers fans opinion of him. They were upset with him from the moment he was drafted. They wanted him to be worth his high draft position, but we want him to be a high energy player that can move the ball. He will do that on a night to night basis. He will never be able to create his own shot, but if you know that going in then you will not be dissapointed.

Talking Re: Pacers Bulls postgame thread - Pacers have found "their point guard"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    When we lose 2 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Honestly?

I like Ike, but would be completely fine with having HIM be the trade bait with Tinsley. For this team, Foster is more valuable. Plus, I'd like to see more of Baston. And teams looking for young prospects would snap up somebody like Ike, but not necessarily Foster.
    The guy was untouchable last season. Getting him is a prize. Jermaine isn't going to be around forever. You gotta keep him until you decide he isn't going to be a player.
    I'm sure you're right about his being worth more than Foster in trade value.

Quin the commentator guy observed that when Greene was in at point he was taking so much time getting up the court that the defense was getting set up on JO, and thus creating the stagnancy.

Fair enough, I just know he does not have that much experience and figured any time is good for him so long as the consequences are acceptable.

But what say you all about the general time in the back court principle? I think the offense certainly flowed better this evening with DA, and certainly don't care for Tins slow walks up the court.

Maybe while they are not a running team, they are not really a half court team either. Or at least not as good as you need to be at that sort thing to really pull it off. Regardless, nice to see the flow, the win, and more people chasing rebounds.

But I was bummed that Baston didnt see some time.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    The guy was untouchable last season. Getting him is a prize. Jermaine isn't going to be around forever. You gotta keep him until you decide he isn't going to be a player.
    I'm sure you're right about his being worth more than Foster in trade value.
    We've built this team to compete now. I don't want to mortgage the future, but I'd rather have a good point guard than 4 forwards with potential. Especially when we don't have minutes for all 4.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    look at it this way, IF the pacers start to roll with the unit we have and it still remains obvious we need a pg to take it to the next level, i believe we'll look to make that move. we definitely have 2 young, very attractive pieces in diogu and shawne that could get us that pg.
    I'm not giving up those 2 for less than a top tier pg which can't happen for contracts matching.
    These guys we just got MAY improve us some but I don't see any kind of dominant type team with this group, even with a very good pg. We are very soft up front defensively with this group.
    "I" think the the future is Diogu and Granger and hopefully Shawne with perhaps Jermaine being the guy going for the big name pg if we haven't developed anything by then from the draft or trades.

Banned

He is known as an inconsistent shooter. Not inconsistent in the intelligence department. Even when his shot is off he will always continue to do the little things that help you win ball games. In time all you folks will love what this guy brings to the court night in and night out.

It is no coincidence that he is adjusting faster than Troy and Ike. The guy just understands the game itself on a level most in this league do not.

Yes Murphy had 34 min 8 boards and 7pt, Jeff had 13min and 5 boards.and 4pt . I agree what is RC thinking or is he? What a way to reward a guy who gives eveything he has every game.

If a 38-year-old PG is our answer, the question must be "How can the Pacers skyrocket toward the #1 draft pick?"

Ummmmmmmmm

no 2007 #1, remember?

TPTB gave it away for AL

maybe they can work another masterful trade and give away the Pacers' 2008 #1

That is what I keep telling myself also Quis. I just hope it is all true. I do like this team better.

Banned

I'd trade Diogu for a PG, but only if the PG we recieved was very good or had the potential to be very good. I'm talking Devin Harris/Raymond Felton/Jameer Nelson level.

Though Armstrong is 38 he hasn't played the big minutes through out his career.Like a Gary Payton,Reggie Miller has.He only averaged over 30 minutes per game 3 or 4 times in his career, his last couple of years he was hardly used I wonder how much he really has left in him.

I wonder if Rick could get away with starting Armstrong and say Daniels in the backcourt and play him about 25 minutes per game for the rest of the season and have Dunlevy take the remaining pg minutes/SG minutes. Would Armstrong burn out if he played that many minutes?

They brought alot of energy in the first half. They shared the ball. They ran the court. It was exciting. I think it may have been a by-product of an 80% new starting lineup. The sharing of the ball, extraordinary hustle etc...it's human nature and even has name due to the commonality of the situation (Honeymoon Period). I'd like to see this effort, propensity to share, and winning the rest of the year but the pessimist in me thinks it will even out over time. All of the patting on the back, joking with the bench, smiling and nodding that was my fault man and expecting a smile back with a "It's cool" look eventually will become a little less congenial. We all know what Armstrong brings and we all knew he couldn't sustain it for an entire game and he didn't. He left it all on the floor. Unfortunately, the NBA season is a marathon and not a sprint. He played well and the stat sheet reflects that, but he's not the anything of the future except maybe former NBA player. Jermaine got another double double tonight but went 8 for 22 from the floor. He also added one more to his team high 19 games leading the team in turnovers and had no problem chewing out somebody a couple of times. I didn't get a clear picture of whose fault the breakdowns were. It's tough to complain about O'neal though. Murphy may eventually stretch the defense but Foster got the do-do stick tonight...13 minutes? He needs something closer to 20 a night. With the exception of his 3 T/O's, Daniels looked like the guy everybody described over the summer. Granger's was a quietly effective 19, but I'm not thrilled with 3 rebounds. Murphy was ok. He hit the shots he should and missed a couple of gimme's and a couple of why did he shoot that's. I like someone else on the team being able to rebound and hit a jumper. Dunleavy filled the stat sheet but I hope his shooting % starts to rise, 6 of 17 followed by 5 of 13 makes him second only to Greene as the lowest on the team. I jokingly mentioned this earlier in the thread but then looked back at his gamelogs and he's been in a shooting slump dating back about 15 games or so. Which gets me to Greene. I haven't really seen enough of him yet to make any statements. A few minutes here and a few minutes there, usually in blowouts. He looked pretty bad tonight. He played some passes pretty well and knocked a few loose but I saw him get burnt a few times, too. To say he has no shot is an understatement. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with him getting any more minutes than the kind he has so far.

I liked what I saw tonight and hope Armstrong can continue to give us 15-20 a night like he did against the Bulls. Maybe if Dunleavy can find his shot and Jeff, dare I say, find him name on the starters list again.......

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Yes Murphy had 34 min 8 boards and 7pt, Jeff had 13min and 5 boards.and 4pt . I agree what is RC thinking or is he? What a way to reward a guy who gives eveything he has every game.
    not to mention his 4 assists.. his bock and his 2 steals.

I am probably one of the biggest foster fans on this website. But murphy is clearly the player we have been needing out there with JO.

as far as MDJ shooting. If I remember correctly he was like 50 percent until late the 4 quarter. Has to be a change going from playing backup min to playing 9/10 of the game. After a while a jump shooters legs are goign to get tired until he gets used to the min.