Thread: Nothing like it - ever!

Hybrid View

Default Nothing like it - ever!

I remember back during the Pacers 61 win season I tried to verbalize what it would be like if Indiana won the NBA title. I was around for the ABA titles and remember what it did for the fans and civic pride. At that time, I said if the Pacers pulled it off it would be like nothing ever seen in the city.

Well . . . we didn't do it. But from what I am able to gather from WNDE and the online edition of The Star it has happened before, during and after this game. The next two weeks will be filled with Colts Insanity. More than at any other time since I've been in Iraq I feel the distance.

I'm happy for a lot of reasons. I'm happy for me, I'm happy for the fans, I'm happy for the team, I'm happy for Dungy and Peyton, I'm happy for Morris . . . but most of all I am happy for my city. The importance of what we did and NOW what we feel as fans cannot be understated.

Enjoy this guys - it's been a long time coming.

GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Default Re: Nothing like it - ever!

Hey, you keep safe and I'm glad you are hearing some good news! GO HORSE!
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Here's a taste of it for you, sorry these aren't my best efforts, didn't have the exposure where I wanted it half the time...

The moment

The AFC trophy

It was just crazy outside the dome. First, no one had left of course so it was a full 60K pouring into the streets. There were camera news crews with huge crowds gathered around them as you tried to get out of the dome, tons of people selling the souvenir edition of the Star (2 for $1), and people just standing around, high fiving everyone (I personally hugged or was hugged by 10-15 different people), singing, shouting, etc.

And since I live downtown I just walked home from the dome. The whole way was crazy. Maryland was blocked off for the pedestrians and they just wandered the middle of the street in celebration. Horns honked everywhere. Meridian St was full of people and cars, probably none of which actually were at the game. These were people that were at bars or just came down to celebrate the win. It was New Years times 10, at least the Indianapolis version of it.

When I got to the circle people were just crusing it hanging out of car windows (cops did nothing), honking horns and such (in fact the cops would run their sirens for the people as they passed, much like a trucker you egg on as a kid when you pass them on the highway), and the circle itself had a crowd of a couple of hundred people stopping the cars to high five them, shouting, and so on. Again, I doubt they were at the game, this was a just a spontaneous gathering of people. Totally crazy. Great experience, really unforgettable.

And no one burnt anything down.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I remember living in Venlo in the Netherlands when the Dutch won the EU country-teams championship 1988(once in 4 year event)

Now that city is mostly known for the "carnaval" (Mardi-gras) which officially lats 3 days, but there usually 6, this was another 3 days of celebration, without any organization to it, all pubs still open @ 4 am (high summer) and approx 25 thousand people in one road (1 mile long, shops and pubs galore)

I hate to think what it will be if the Colts win it all

Party-Time!

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The thing is that Indy isn't a party town and is smaller, so relative to other cities it is tame stuff. But if you live here then you notice the drastic change. For example, I was in London for whatever festival goes on around Sept (carnival maybe, back in 99 IIRC) and naturally that was crazier in terms of people partying in the street, but that city is also so much larger. Plus Indy is a conservative city socially.

This was crazier than after game 5 of the 2000 Finals, which was a pretty damn good moment itself. The SB win MIGHT be bigger, but I'm not sold on that. This was pretty intense and was also a home game. So you had not only all the bars filled with people and others just wanting to be in the area of the dome, but also the 60K in the dome that came out and joined them.

Naptown - thanks for those pics. Awesome and just like I would have imagined!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.