Thread: Bob Lamey

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bob Lamey

I absolutely LOVE Bob and I'm hoping there's a way to get ahold of a recording of yesterday's game as broadcast on radio. We've got the game on video, and if I had it on radio, I could sync the two up and have Lamey doing the calls over the lousy TV guys (I don't know who they were, but they don't compare to Lamey).

So, my question is, where can I get a recording of Bob Lamey's broadcast?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Default Re: Bob Lamey

I wouldn't mind that either

Speaking of which, is the copy of the game online yet? I would love to get that as well
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dan Patrick was playing clips earlier. (Bob was the "homer call of the week")

His call on the Dom. Rhoades fumble/Saturday TD was quite comical.

"Oh no, he fumbled the football. Fumbled the frickin football. WAIT!! TOUCHDOWN COLTS! JEFF SATURDAY CAME OUT WITH THE BALL IN THE ENDZONE! TOUCHDOWN COLTS!!"

He's usually so calm and collected, sometimes you can't even tell which team' broadcast it is, but he really let loose last night. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"Oh no, he fumbled the football. Fumbled the frickin football. WAIT!! TOUCHDOWN COLTS! JEFF SATURDAY CAME OUT WITH THE BALL IN THE ENDZONE! TOUCHDOWN COLTS!!"

He's usually so calm and collected, sometimes you can't even tell which team' broadcast it is, but he really let loose last night. lol
    that is a good one. i heard a clip of his this morning and was dissapointed that i didn't listen to the radio, with the t.v. turned down. never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

http://media.putfile.com/Bob-Lamey

Here is the sound bite.....enjoy!!

Lamey is an absolute Homer for the Colts and I love it. He has no problem calling the team out when they play bad, but the guy does bleed blue.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm unlike many of you in that I think Bob Lamey is the worst announcer in all of sports. I copied this from the star and it illustrates why:

Try to imagine Lamey's voice making this call, it shouldn't be hard.

"Peyton goes back to pass....no wait, it's a handoff....no wait, he faked the handoff.....the Patriots are blitzing....Peyton is sacked....no he's gets away.....he throws it deep down field ...it's.....intercepted!.....no wait it's a catch!......oh no he dropped it.....there should have been an interference call on that one.....wait, there is a flag on the field.....should be interference against the Patriots.....let's see what the referee has to say....holding against the Colts....Ted, we just can't make mistakes like that against a good team like this during such an important game....."

He drives me nuts when he gets calls so completely wrong. I remember a game where he yelled "MARVIN HAS IT!!!!!" only later to say "It's intercepted for a TD the other way".

I think Lamey is horrible also. At times he gets either so excited or disgusted I find that I had no idea what just happened on the play.

I too think Lamey is horrible. He was terrible with the Pacers too.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I'm unlike many of you in that I think Bob Lamey is the worst announcer in all of sports. I copied this from the star and it illustrates why:

Try to imagine Lamey's voice making this call, it shouldn't be hard.

"Peyton goes back to pass....no wait, it's a handoff....no wait, he faked the handoff.....the Patriots are blitzing....Peyton is sacked....no he's gets away.....he throws it deep down field ...it's.....intercepted!.....no wait it's a catch!......oh no he dropped it.....there should have been an interference call on that one.....wait, there is a flag on the field.....should be interference against the Patriots.....let's see what the referee has to say....holding against the Colts....Ted, we just can't make mistakes like that against a good team like this during such an important game....."

He drives me nuts when he gets calls so completely wrong. I remember a game where he yelled "MARVIN HAS IT!!!!!" only later to say "It's intercepted for a TD the other way".

This is laugh-out-loud funny.

Lamey contradicts himself much too much. Even on things as simple as the distance to a first down he goes back and forth like crazy. The difference between "third and almost 8 yards" and "third and a long 7 yards" is not of vital importance to the radio audience, but he'll argue with himself about it.

Like other, I think it is fine that he is a homer and that he's devoted to the team. I just wish he'd say it right the first time.

Anyway, he has a great face for radio.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

:P You guys are just overly critical. He's always funny at least and he bleeds blue. I would like to have the game synced. That would be awesome, you gotta admit, it would be better than Nantz and Simms.

How can you hate Lamey? Lamey is so awesome!
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    How can you hate Lamey? Lamey is so awesome!
    I don't understand how people could hate him either, I think it's awesome that he is the way he is.

I don't hate him, but when I listen to him on the radio during a Colts game I have no idea what is going on I can't follow the game at all. And there are times when I've been listening and a really good play occurs or a really bad play occurs and I cannot understand what he says because he either gets so excited or so disgusted that he isn't clear as to what happened.

Football I think is the most difficult sport to do on radio, but if you want to hear a great radio football play by play guy listen to the Bears games. I assume Wayne Larrivee still does Bears games. Oh wait I guess he doesn't - he now does Packers games.

I don't mind that he goes back and forth sometimes, like you said, it isn't easy to do. But I enjoy, immensely, the spirit he has when does these games. It just makes you super excited.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Bob "Blame-y" was terrible with the Pacers and I never liked to listen to him with the Colts. I can live with "homer" announcers. But he just might be the most whiney person in the history of broadcasting. Bob, not every play is a conspiracy of the NFL/ referrees against "your" team. (And for that matter, James Edwards really was foul-prone, so quit please quit complaining about that, too.)

I did listen to a few Colts games when Joe McConnell replaced him for a few years (that was basically before "Sunday Ticket" and in the midst of the no-sell-out days at the Hoosier Dome when I had difficulty keeping up with the Steelers or any AFC football because of the blackouts.)

Joe McConnell > Bob Blame-y. When Q-95 got the broadcast rights back, they should've brought Joe back (isn't he still commuting from Greenwood to do Purdue games?). (PS, Joe was also excellent as the voice of NBA Radio during the 1990s - the two best NBA radio announcers at that time were both living in Indy. )
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

woman without a team

Let me qualify the following by saying that because the delay between DirecTv/TiVo and the radio feed is so large I have to admit I haven't heard Bob call a game in years, BUT:

I think Bob Lamey is the gratest radio announcer EVER.

I'm sure he's not as good as he once was. Who of us is?

When we first moved here (when Kegboy wasn't even a beer bottle yet) Lamey was "Hockey Bob". Whenever either team scored he'd go balistic to the point that if the Racers scored I though he was going to have a stroke. Call me crazy, but I loved it.

Honestly, I don't remember him doing Pacers games. I have vague recollections of him not doing Colts games. What I do remember of that time is I didn't like it.

Do I enjoy every minute of every one of his broadcasts? Of course not. When things aren't going well he's ever bit as ticked off as I am, but it's still better than listening to the national media idiots who still have to think twice to remember which town the team is in after more than 20 years.

As always it's just my opinion. Please don't shoot.

I will take Bob any day of the week. It's like watching the game with a best friend.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Bob "Blame-y" was terrible with the Pacers and I never liked to listen to him with the Colts. I can live with "homer" announcers. But he just might be the most whiney person in the history of broadcasting. Bob, not every play is a conspiracy of the NFL/ referrees against "your" team. (And for that matter, James Edwards really was foul-prone, so quit please quit complaining about that, too.)

I did listen to a few Colts games when Joe McConnell replaced him for a few years (that was basically before "Sunday Ticket" and in the midst of the no-sell-out days at the Hoosier Dome when I had difficulty keeping up with the Steelers or any AFC football because of the blackouts.)

Joe McConnell > Bob Blame-y. When Q-95 got the broadcast rights back, they should've brought Joe back (isn't he still commuting from Greenwood to do Purdue games?). (PS, Joe was also excellent as the voice of NBA Radio during the 1990s - the two best NBA radio announcers at that time were both living in Indy. )
    You really saw this in today's (Wed) Star and just wanted to pretend you had that all memorized....

McConnell called Bears and Colts games; he wants Indy to win

By Michael Pointer
    michael.pointer@indystar.com

Joe McConnell spent time in the radio booths for both the Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts during 40-plus years as an announcer.

The Bears were the team of his youth while growing up in rural northwest Indiana. But he will find himself rooting for the team of his adopted hometown Sunday.

"I would like to see the Colts win because of my love for Indianapolis,'' said McConnell, 67, who lives in Greenwood and serves as the Purdue football radio announcer. "I think it would be great for the city. The fans who have been loyal for 20 years deserve a winner.''

McConnell worked for the Bears from 1977-84 and for the Colts from 1991-94. He said most of his focus is now on the college game and he doesn't get too wrapped up in the NFL anymore.

"But knowing both ownership groups, this has piqued my interest quite a bit,'' he said.

His time at both places left McConnell calling himself "the builder,'' because of his penchant for working for teams as they gradually improved, then leaving before they found glory.

He left the Bears one season before they went to their first Super Bowl. He left the Colts one season before they played in their first AFC Championship Game (while in Indy).

Later, he left the Tennessee Oilers (now Titans) after the 1998 season. They went to the Super Bowl the next season.

"I have good memories everywhere,'' he said. "There's good and bad in every situation.''

McConnell was hired to do Bears games by general manager Jim Finks. He had become close to Finks while Finks was general manager of the Minnesota Vikings, the team for which McConnell previously worked.

McConnell called most of the highlights of the great Walter Payton's career, including when Payton broke the NFL career rushing record. He watched as coach Mike Ditka led the Bears to the NFC title game at the end of the 1984 season.

"It was a fun time,'' McConnell said.

The Bears moved their broadcasts from Chicago radio station WBBM to WGN after that '84 season. McConnell was hoping that would mean a chance to do games for both the Bears and Chicago Cubs, who have had their games on WGN for decades.

But McConnell said station officials were slow to make a commitment, and he felt like he had no choice but to accept an attractive offer to return to the Vikings.

He worked in Minnesota for three more years, then moved to the Circle City to allow his wife, Sue, an Indianapolis native, to be closer to family.
    He got the chance to work for the Colts when WNAP (now WFBQ) acquired the broadcast rights before the 1991 season.

"It was a bigger situation in Chicago,'' said McConnell, who never got to broadcast a playoff game in Indianapolis. "Even when we weren't very good, you had thousands on a waiting list trying to buy tickets. That wasn't the case here.''

Still, McConnell relished being back in an NFL booth. He held the job for four seasons, then lost it when the broadcasts returned to WIBC, which re-hired Bob Lamey.

"I didn't even have a, 'Hi, how are you?' '' McConnell said. "That's the nature of the business.''

He now concentrates almost exclusively on Purdue broadcasts. He missed four games last season because of blurred vision but reports he's now feeling fine and plans to return to the Boilermakers for another season.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...701310461/1100
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post

Joe McConnell who is now doing Purdue football on radio is one of the very best radio play-by-play guys I've ever heard in both basketball and football.

Mood

Love him or hate him, is there any way to get the recording?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Of course there was no way for me to hear Lamey's call of the game. It just is not the same for me to watch us win the Super Bowl and not hear Lamey tell me the story. Just not Colts football. I wish like hell I could hear it.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.