Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if the Colts lose?

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What if the Colts lose?

How will you feel?

Right now, it seems like virtually everybody who isn't a Bears fan is picking the Colts to win the SB. The Colts are 7-point favorites. The AFC is supposedly vastly superior to the NFC, as is Peyton to Rex.

The actual game is merely a formality, right? The "real" Super Bowl was played last night in the Dome, right?

But what if the Colts lose?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Default Re: What if the Colts lose?

Even if the Colts lose, they've gone much farther than I ever expected them to this season. I'm just happy they've made it this far.

Last night was so huge for me. It was like another Reggie moment or the Pacers making the Finals. It's just one of those nights that I'm not going to forget.

If they lose, they lose (Hopefully not in a blowout). At least I know they're capable of making the Super Bowl now. Now we don't have to go through another season of "Yeah, but they'll just collapse in the playoffs." No more.

If they lose, they'll just be another member of a long line of Indiana sports teams that were always the bridesmaid and never the bride. But I'll be able to say "there's always next year" with happiness and confidence.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It took you 18hrs longer than I thought it would to come up with a thread like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It took you 18hrs longer than I thought it would to come up with a thread like this.
    I celebrated, and I will continue to enjoy this for the next two weeks. But that doesn't stop me from looking ahead. As long as there is unfinished business, I will continue to look ahead.

Everything seems set for the Colts to finally get it done. Everything seems to be perfectly in place. But the same could be said for last year, too.

I just wonder what the feeling will be if we lose to the Bears. Does it render this season useless? Does it render this win over the Pats useless?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Does it render this season useless? Does it render this win over the Pats useless?
    No, I don't think it does. We made progress. We gave notice to the AFC that we are the team to beat, even if there are teams with home field advantage over us, even if all the talking heads gave us no respect.
    We're the best team in the AFC. That's why the games get played. Now we have to prove that at least on Feb 4, we are the best team in football.

I don't care that we didn't get to beat the chargers, or that the cowboys thought they were hot **** for beating us, or that the Jags put it over us by 20. WE ARE HERE now.
    It's not meaningless if we lose. This team accomplished something in getting here that 30 other teams didn't.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Everything seems set for the Colts to finally get it done. Everything seems to be perfectly in place. But the same could be said for last year, too.
    Not sure that's true. Last year's team was never tested. They were just the best team in the league - until they got a month off and when they got back couldn't be the best team in the league until the 4th quarter of the Steelers game.

This team didn't have anything easy. True, they earned the "worst 9-0 team in NFL history" label but it was a team that was really set up for a one-and-done. Then they went and beat the team I did consider the best in the league and their old nemesis - I just don't think this team will go into the SB with a sense that they can win by just showing up. It wasn't that long ago that they were being crucified for their run defense.

Yup - they're finally favored to win (I guess they were vs the Pats by Vegas but not by the experts). But I don't think they'll lose the sense that they still have something to prove.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

If you are lucky, in two weeks he might be starting a thread saying "How in the world can we ever hope to repeat?"

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post

If you are lucky, in two weeks he might be starting a thread saying "How in the world can we ever hope to repeat?"
    Honestly, I expected to read 17 seconds after the game, "What's the best kind of rat poison to swallow after the Colts lose by 68 to the Bears?"

Then, of course, a "This team has quit" thread, followed quickly by a time, "Time for _______ (Dungy, Polian, Manning, Irsay, etc.) to go" thread.
    Narf!

You know - I think most people will feel like winning the Super Bowl is "satisfying". That is not to demean the significance. I just think beating New England was PARAMOUNT to Colts fans. To do it - and the way they did it just about empties your emotional bank. The monkey hasn't been about winning or losing the Super Bowl - it's been about getting there.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    You know - I think most people will feel like winning the Super Bowl is "satisfying". That is not to demean the significance. I just think beating New England was PARAMOUNT to Colts fans. To do it - and the way they did it just about empties your emotional bank. The monkey hasn't been about winning or losing the Super Bowl - it's been about getting there.
    I must be unique in that respect, though, because I feel the monkey remains if we don't finish the job.

Of course, all 3 of my teams have now made it to the final game/series in the last seven years, but are 0-2 so far. I really, REALLY want a title. Not to downplay the significance of what was the biggest game in Indy sports history, but we now face the NEW "biggest game in Indy sports history." And the experience will just feel incomplete, and the doubt will always linger, if we don't win the Super Bowl.

if the colts lose everyone should be doing the superbowl shuffle

Mood

I'm still riding the high of yesterday and so I don't know how I'd feel if they lose.

The Colts are not going to lose friends. Enjoy the ride...........keep this thought in mind. Since the Bears play the same Cover 2 their defense is light like ours. They've got the speed, but they will not dominate the line and Peyton and company will be able to do what they want.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

The Colts can't lose this year. They have already beaten the Patriots and that means they are winners no matter what happens against the Bears. In my mind beating the Patriots was my Super Bowl so no matter what happens now the Colts are Winners.

I will say, though, if the Bears prevail in the Super Bowl over the Colts they will deserve the win. The Bears are a good team and Grossman is playing well enough to beat most teams. Their D is good. They play solid football on both sides.

But, in my mind, there is no way their defense is good enough to beat the Colts offense. If the Colts D can shake off this Pats team like they did then they should stop the Bears Offense. I look for Rex Grossman to have a Rex Grossman like day on Feb 4. He had 0 interceptions and no TO's against the Saints.

I firmly believe he is saving them all for the Super Bowl. GO COLTS
    But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

I expect the Colts to win, but the Bears are the best of the NFC.

Stop their running game and you should win. Don't turn the ball over and give their defense scoring plays and you should win.

The game we couldn't "bear" to lose was last night. Now we know we can get here, no more lose in the first round comments. Let's just hope that the Colts don't have a letdown from that pats game. They need the World Champion mindset.

Losing to the bears, while a disappointment, wouldn't be the "slit your wrists" type of loss we would have had against the pats. There were parts of that game I had to turn off the tv because I just couldn't participate in the pain again.

It should be a good game. I half expect a win, but it won't be the end of the world. Of course it would also be nice to shut up those condescending chicagoans, not to mention the so called hoosiers who are bears fans. Remember the bulls fans who used to come to Pacer games? yeah those guys.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

The Bears are the almost perfect matchup. Stack the run and dare Grossman to beat you.

Actually, I'm not sure you really need to stack the run. You didn't yesterday, even in the 2nd half, and for whatever reason the defensive play improved radically (though the D wasn't your biggest 1st half problem).

But if you lose, you lose and nobody will remember this team in 2 years. Win and yesterday becomes part of NFL history along with "The Catch" and "The Drive."

Dunno what they'll call it - "The Comeback?" "Peyton's Monkey-Slaying Day?"

It'll get a name though - if you win in 2 weeks.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

A wise man once said, "what if's will make you go crazy."

As in, "what if the Colts lose?" I will go crazy.

Y'all can say that last night was the "Super Bowl," in that we beat the Pats. Sure, to a point I can agree with that. Beating them is almost as good as winning the Super Bowl. But if we don't win the Super Bowl, then beating them means nothing. The 15 wins would mean nothing. Getting the monkey off the back would mean nothing. We all know that yesterday's game was certainly a monumental game for Indy, the Colts, Dungy, and of course Peyton. The Star's headline, "The biggest game of his life," was absolutely right. But they can just run it again on the 4th, because the Super Bowl is the biggest game of anyone's life, no matter who or what. The Super Bowl is what counts, and we all know that.

You can say it's a moral victory to be here, but I'm in the camp that says there are no moral victories. If Peyton isn't holding the Lombardi trophy in two weeks, it'll be another, "wait til next year," and that's not good enough anymore. We are here this year, and we are going to win the Super Bowl.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

As long as we crush tom brady......
    That'll do.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know you're just looking ahead, but when I read your Colt's posts I sometimes get the feeling I'm reading the reality version of Debbie Downer.

The last thing I want to think about the afternoon after a HUGE win, is someone asking how I would feel if the Colts lost to the freakin Bears.

There aren't two teams I dislike more than NE and Chi. NE because of their classless coach, and Chi becaue of their fans.

If it was an NE/Chi SB then I was going to go into an induced coma until March, go on spring break and drink my way back into the coma.

I was a Bears fan before the Colts moved to town. Then the Bears became my second favorite team. I'm going to hide my Bears shirts and hat until next year. I would be extremely disappointed for the Colts, but would eventually be happy for the Bears (maybe in a year or so).

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Leave it to Shade.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Leave it to Shade.

I'm the shock that reminds you not to stick your finger in the electrical socket.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Damn Shade, I mean... wow. Take a deep breath and enjoy the win for a bit. Yes, the Colts certainly could lose the Super Bowl, and if they do, it will hurt like hell. However, today is a day to bask in the glow of reaching the SB. Enjoy yourself man!

Oh, and I know I'm being anal, but having the Larry O'Brien trophy in your sig with the Colts just doesn't seem right. It's about the Lombardi Trophy my friend.

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty View Post
    Damn Shade, I mean... wow. Take a deep breath and enjoy the win for a bit. Yes, the Colts certainly could lose the Super Bowl, and if they do, it will hurt like hell. However, today is a day to bask in the glow of reaching the SB. Enjoy yourself man!

Oh, and I know I'm being anal, but having the Larry O'Brien trophy in your sig with the Colts just doesn't seem right. It's about the Lombardi Trophy my friend.

Tell Hicks to get off his butt and make the appropriate emoticon then.