Thread: Much respect to the Pats

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Much respect to the Pats

You don't have to like them, but you have to respect the game they played today. Hell of a game.

Default Re: Much respect to the Pats

A major impressive team, no doubt.

Pretty much the whole 2nd half once Indy kept tieing it up I kept thinking it was gonna be another SD - you were obviously the better team but, mainly because of special teams (translate that into making fewer mistakes), they were gonna win.

That is one well-coached team.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I have no love for the Pats...but I have much respect.

They are a great team, and extremely well coached.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Yep.... they don't beat themselves. I still can't believe we beat them - we beat a LEGENDARY team! WOOOO
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep.... they don't beat themselves. I still can't believe we beat them - we beat a LEGENDARY team! WOOOO
    I wouldn't say this was our best team, but then again..this wasn't the Colts best team.

We'll be back next year and we'll be alot better with some WR's who can actually catch the ball. Caldwell had 2 HUGE drops in this game..But no excuses from this Pats fan. Colts played a great game. I really do expect them to beat the Bears in a blowout. I'm not the biggest Colts fan..but I do want Marvin to get his ring. I'll be cheering for the Colts when they play the Bears...AFC REPRESENT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I wouldn't say this was our best team, but then again..this wasn't the Colts best team.

True, but I think any Pats team with Tom Brady + an above-average defense (and maybe I should toss Bruschi in there too, I'm not really a pats fan) is going to have a certain aura about it, and I'm just happy as hell to beat a team like that. But yeah, that Pats'll be back. They are going to win at least one more SB during the Brady era.... there's not really any denying it...

I don't like them and I don't respect them, you act as classless as them and you lose the right to the respect you earned on teh field.

Classless in defeat and Victory. Belli seemed like he and his team had to end each game with a show of disrespect.

Anybody with reasonable intelligence has to respect what this team has done. With the salary cap tightening, they have done what would seem to be inconcievable... win 3 Superbowls. And let's be honest, for at least one half it looked like they were going back. And my money would have been on them vs. the Bears for number 4.

But hey... enough is enough! It is so boring to see the same team win year after year. Even when my beloved Cowboys were winning in the Jimmy Johnson years, I was ready to watch somebody else win. Dynasties are boring and it is much more fun to at least have several teams who duke it out for the championship year after year.

This city has never had a championship in the NFL or NBA, so I am so hopeful that we can finally get it. I, like Shade, have become convinced that a team from Indy will never win the whole thing. The Pacers came oh so close, but they were really no match for the Lakers.

Unlike the Pacers/Lakers series, I think Indy has a much better chance with the Colts/Bears.

Anyway, the Pats are a solid organiation and unfortunately... they'll be back.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Brichard I wouldn't be implying other people lack intelligence. Respect has to be earned, they earned it on the field, and lost it off the field. I recognize their accomplishments, I don't respect them, they tainted the accomplishments.

BTW only fools deal in absolutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post

Isn't that an absolute...?

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post
    Brichard I wouldn't be implying other people lack intelligence. Respect has to be earned, they earned it on the field, and lost it off the field. I recognize their accomplishments, I don't respect them, they tainted the accomplishments.

We are talking about 2 totally different things. There are lots of players whom I despise off the field or dislike what they do on the field. I'm sure if you looked up and down our roster, you would find some players on our beloved Colts who don't live up to your expectations on a personal level. And some would say we did a little celebratory taunting during this game.

Respect in the context of this post is "a worthy adversary." I had a wrestling coach who said "you never want to fear an opponent or overlook them. But you do want to respect them." Respect in this post is not related to whether or not the Patriots are role models for sportsmanship.
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Word.
    Reggie Miller

LOL......

BTW I was very impressed with NE's defensive backs...I've never seen so many passes swatted away.

Quote Originally Posted by bosk View Post
    LOL......

BTW I was very impressed with NE's defensive backs...I've never seen so many passes swatted away.
    Yeah - and it makes me wonder a bit at the game plan. Might have made more sense to dink and dunk at the start and get the backs biting, then take them deep later.

I imagine the coaching staff saw something they thought they could take advantage of but the Pats DB's covered deep, well-thrown balls about as well as I've ever seen done.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I kept thinking it was gonna be another SD - you were obviously the better team but, mainly because of special teams (translate that into making fewer mistakes), they were gonna win.
    San Diego controlled the line of scrimmage. I don't think either team dominated either line of scrimmage in the Colts-Pats game, at least until the 4th quarter and Indy's O-line seemed to step it up a bit. There was still a lot of pressure on Manning even in the 4th however.

The main difference seemed to be safety and linebacker pass coverage across the middle. The throws to Dallas Clark were killers, from a Pats fan perspective. Not having Rodney Harrison might have been a major factor. He is just about as critical to the Pats as Bob Sanders is to the Colts.

other major factors that weren't obvious:

1) the good old days when the Colts had van der Shank, the Pats could have counted on a missed FG or PAT, or at least a kicker who lacked the patience to wait for the holder to get the ball down on the two bobbled snaps.

2) the Pats seemed satisfied with FGs on their last two possessions when more creative play-calling (like was seen under Charley Weis) may have helped. Well, Caldwell catching the wide open pass at 31-31 unguarded on the outside would have helped too.

3) Sometimes the ball just bounces goofy ways. The touchdowns by Mankins (Pats) and Saturday (Colts) were both extremely fluky, as well as Wayne fumbling up into the air and then pulling it back down.

All in all a very entertaining game. This Pats fan is happy for you Colts fans. You deserve some good fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    San Diego controlled the line of scrimmage. I don't think either team dominated either line of scrimmage in the Colts-Pats game, at least until the 4th quarter and Indy's O-line seemed to step it up a bit. There was still a lot of pressure on Manning even in the 4th however.
    Nope.

In the second half the Pats never scored with a full field. Their TD was with the ball starting at about the Indy 20 and the 2 FG's were from around midfield. Indy marched up and down the field - I won't say at will but they scored 5 times and each drive started inside their own 35. And Rhodes ripped off runs of 5-10 yards with some regularity.

I'm not sure how it's possible to say the teams looked anywhere close to even in the 2nd half. Of course they didn't in the first half either - the other way around.

FloridaColtsFan

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You don't have to like them, but you have to respect the game they played today. Hell of a game.

Definitly no love for them... but they played one heck of a game. They kept it interesting...

Did anyone notice that Belichick completely brushed off Peyton at the 50 yard line? I didn't catch anything weird at the time (and to tell the truth, it was because I was too busy celebrating), I found out about it on my way to work listening to Mike and Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

I'm not sure how it's possible to say the teams looked anywhere close to even in the 2nd half. Of course they didn't in the first half either - the other way around.
    I wasn't saying that the teams overall looked even. I was judging the "play in the trenches" i.e. the OL and DL. I though San Diego physically beat up NE last week at the point of attack, on both sides i.e. their OL ruled and their DL ruled. LT could get 5 yards without having to make anyone miss. There was tons of pressure on Brady and none on Rivers.

Yesterday I thought that both of these teams battled pretty evenly up front until the Pats DL got winded in the 4th. Both teams continually put pressure on the opposing QB and got penetration, tackles for loss, sacks, hurries, etc. Even when Peyton got into a great rhythm in the second half he was getting hurried and knocked around, and the same for Brady. As to the running game I never felt that either team was just opening up big holes to run through at will-- the holes were there only when the D was tricked, like running draw plays from spread formations.

The Pats running game in the second half was pretty pathetic. They stopped trying, it seemed. The Maroney we saw in the playoffs was nothing like the guy in the first 10 games. He never came back close to 100% from bruised/broken ribs.