Thread: PG Idea

Default PG Idea

If unselfish Jamaal refuses to show up, I really think Daniels should be the PG. We have to get this guy on the court as much as possible. Nothing against Greene or Army, but Daniels should start getting close to all of the backup minutes at the 1, 2, and 3 so he is essentially getting starters minutes.

Daniels, Dunleavy, Granger, could definitely get the job done. In our offense what does the PG really have to do? Daniels can penetrate better than Tinsley and I don't see Marquis having problems getting the ball stolen in the backcourt. Niether one of them is a 3 point threat and Daniels is by far the better defender even though as a PG he'd be guarding some shorter and possibly quicker guys.

Late in games the ball needs to be moved around an at least touched by JO. Currently we get to watch Jamaal freeze everyone out and cost us a handful of games because of his horrbile shot selection down the stretch. How many games have we all said "if only Tinsley didn't try to take over the game."

The Miami game showed me all I needed to see in Daniels because the offense was essentially his to run late in the game because Tinsley would basically hand him the ball early in the shot clock andlet him create. If Rick wants an aggressive, slashing PG then he needs to use the guy that is most capable of doing that.

Overall we need to start dictating tempo and makes teams adjust and have to guard us. Go big with Daniels, Dunleavy, and Granger plus keep the double teams off JO by pairing him with Murphy. The offense will definitely be more productive and despite Dunleavy and Muprhy being in together, the D should improve because Daniels would actually attemtp to guard the opposing PG.

**None of this matters if Tinsley realizes that this team has the firepower to get him 12 assists a night and if he just runs the show and plays some D we become a really good team. He's not AI, so we don't need him forcing shots down the stretch.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: PG Idea

Heck, Daniels can barely get court time now in his natural postion. There is a reason why Carlisle doen't trust Daniels to more court time. Knowing this alone make it hard to even phathom using him at point guard. Granted, I don't like how
    Carlisle does some things, but I will still say he has a better knowledge of the players on his team then I ever will.

Setting Daniels up to play point because he can handle the ball is just setting him up to fail. Just because he can handle the ball doesn't make him a point guard. Just ask Fred Jones when we tried to use him as a point a few years back.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I would say that Daniels actually might be our best opition at point guard right now. That is pretty sad to. Not that I don't think Daniels could do a solid job, it's just that with Jamaal's talents there is no way any of us should be saying to have Daniels as the point guard.

I knew someone would compare him to Fred Jones.

Here is the big difference: Daniels has played PG before. Both at Auburn and a little bit with the Mavs when necessary. We tried to move Fred to PG to get him on the floor more, but quickly realized or renconfrimed that he couldn't pass or go left.

Quote Originally Posted by bnd45 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If unselfish Jamaal refuses to show up, I really think Daniels should be the PG. We have to get this guy on the court as much as possible. Nothing against Greene or Army, but Daniels should start getting close to all of the backup minutes at the 1, 2, and 3 so he is essentially getting starters minutes.

Daniels, Dunleavy, Granger, could definitely get the job done. In our offense what does the PG really have to do? Daniels can penetrate better than Tinsley and I don't see Marquis having problems getting the ball stolen in the backcourt. Niether one of them is a 3 point threat and Daniels is by far the better defender even though as a PG he'd be guarding some shorter and possibly quicker guys.

Late in games the ball needs to be moved around an at least touched by JO. Currently we get to watch Jamaal freeze everyone out and cost us a handful of games because of his horrbile shot selection down the stretch. How many games have we all said "if only Tinsley didn't try to take over the game."

The Miami game showed me all I needed to see in Daniels because the offense was essentially his to run late in the game because Tinsley would basically hand him the ball early in the shot clock andlet him create. If Rick wants an aggressive, slashing PG then he needs to use the guy that is most capable of doing that.

Overall we need to start dictating tempo and makes teams adjust and have to guard us. Go big with Daniels, Dunleavy, and Granger plus keep the double teams off JO by pairing him with Murphy. The offense will definitely be more productive and despite Dunleavy and Muprhy being in together, the D should improve because Daniels would actually attemtp to guard the opposing PG.

**None of this matters if Tinsley realizes that this team has the firepower to get him 12 assists a night and if he just runs the show and plays some D we become a really good team. He's not AI, so we don't need him forcing shots down the stretch.
    Perhaps one of the best posts I have read in some time. I think TPTB have designs on purging Tinman. I just wonder if they have a plan in place. I am certain, without a doubt, that what you have described is a better option. The only question is if TPTB will take that route, or have something else in mind.

I've been in favor of the "jumbo" backcourt of Daniels/Granger for months now, and the addition of Dunleavy only increases that.

Our point guard defense is so horrible, that Im willing to think outside the box on how to solve it. I wish Greene was better than he is, but unfortunately he just isnt. I wish Armstrong was 10 years younger, but he isnt. So, with no better options available to me, Im ready to turn the job over to Daniels and see what he can do.

In the very least, we will now alot more about Daniels abilities than we do right now when we start planning for next season, if we were to go this way. I also like the idea of playing JT against the opponents second string point guard more, and cutting his minutes back to around 24 or so total, to preserve him for later in the year, protect him against injury and wearing down over time, and to hopefully motivate him into becoming a better defender and decision maker.

Just my opinion, of course.

One thing I was thinking about a little earlier: Mike Dunleavy has a lot of point guard skills so I'd like to see what a backcourt of Marquis and Mike could do. I'm not suggesting that those two should start, but let's give it a try.

I love Greene's defense - but his offense is really bad, so bad that even I can't overlook it.

DA is good for about 10-12 minutes per game

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    One thing I was thinking about a little earlier: Mike Dunleavy has a lot of point guard skills so I'd like to see what a backcourt of Marquis and Mike could do. I'm not suggesting that those two should start, but let's give it a try.

I love Greene's defense - but his offense is really bad, so bad that even I can't overlook it.

Dun and Quis are the best available back court combination we have available on the roster. Not prototypical, but could give us some real advantages that should be obvious. Dunleavy will easily be able to feed the post. He is a better shooter than Tinsley. Quis and Granger are available to shut down the dangerous perimeter threats. Certainly Dunleavy is no worse of a defender than Tinsley.

I suggest that people take a good look at what Tinsley actually is doing on the floor. He simply is not making many plays. That's my primary reason he is not needed out there. The only other thing he does is effectively bring the ball up the floor. If we can find someone to do that, which Sarunas obviously could not, we don't want Tinman on the floor. I believe a combination of Dunleavy with his height and ball handling skills along with Quis would have no problem getting the ball up the floor. This is particularly true if we are moving back to more of a half court game.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

I'm expecting Carlisle to find out at some point that he can run a tandem of Greene/Dunleavy. Just let Greene play his defense like he does best, and let Dunleavy bring the ball up the floor and set up the offense. It can work.

I agree with you on the Dunlevy /Daniels backcourt but Dunlevy would be the more natural fit to play the pg position on offense. Daniels would fit well with Dunlevy because he's a good enough ball handler and passer to help out when teams decide to press and trap Dunlevey and defensively Daniels will guard the opposing point guards.