Thread: Pacers must do something about Wade

Default Pacers must do something about Wade

He is getting better by the game, and unless the Pacers can control him better this could be a 6 or 7 game series. I don't care if he taks threes, but he is excellent at getting to the rim and also excellent at the pull up 15 ft jumpers.

Pacers may have to treat him like the Lakers treated Parker.

Fred Jones plays him better than anyone the Pacers have, but that only works when Wade plays shooting guard

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...2505600a4.html
    Wade's play presents 'serious problem' for Indiana

By Tom D'Angelo, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, May 11, 2004

MIAMI -- The Indiana Pacers have a serious problem.

OK, maybe they don't think so, but at least one member of the Miami Heat does.

Caron Butler was as effusive in his praise of rookie Dwyane Wade as anybody inside a joyous/relieved Heat locker room. Wade was the catalyst in Miami's 94-87 victory Monday, but it was more than his 25 points, six assists and unflappable style that Butler believes has the Pacers worried.

It was his ability to pierce the Pacers' defense.

"He was penetrating, getting into the paint, that's what he does,'' Butler said. "He's a problem, he's a serious problem and I don't know what they're going to do about that problem.''

Most thought they would just knock him down, perhaps the way the Los Angeles Lakers knocked down San Antonio's Tony Parker in Game 3. But Wade kind of scoffed at that idea, saying this series is less physical than the seven-game pounding he took from the New Orleans Hornets.

So driving down the middle of the Pacers' defense was as easy for Wade as a Sunday afternoon drive down Collins Avenue.

"That's my strength, driving to the hole, so I always feel I can beat the first defender,'' Wade said. "It's all about the second and third and fourth defender. I'm very confident I can get into the lane.''

Wade scored 14 points in the fourth quarter, and was perfect in eight attempts from the free-throw line. But the final 12 minutes did not start as strong as it ended. Wade was mainly responsible for the Pacers regaining the lead midway through the quarter with two turnovers and a silly foul on Ron Artest, who was shooting an off-balanced corner jumper to beat the shot clock.

But Wade atoned for his mistakes. His jump shot from just beyond the free-throw line gave the Heat a 74-72 lead and started 7-0 run that would temporarily save the Heat's season.

Wade followed his jumper with a thunderous dunk on a feed from Odom, who spotted Wade cutting down the middle of the lane as the Pacers' defense was collapsing on the Heat forward. Wade then went to the line six times in the final minute as the Pacers hit four consecutive three-pointers to keep the pressure on Miami.

"It's crucial,'' Wade said. "They're a great three-point team. (Jamaal) Tinsley is an unbelievable three-point shooter now and Reggie Miller is always dangerous. When you get to the free-throw line, you have to put them in. Caron hit some, I hit some You got to hit them when they count.''

Wade, not Jermaine O'Neal or Artest or Odom, leads all scorers in this series, averaging 22.0 points per game. He is shooting 48 percent (24-for-50) and is putting on a post-season show not seen around these parts since Tim Hardaway single-handedly killed the Knicks.

The difference? Hardaway was a polished veteran. Wade is a rookie.

"The No. 1 thing about Dwyane Wade, besides his obvious talent, is his ability to learn and make adjustments,'' Heat coach Stan Van Gundy said.

Now, it's the Pacers turn to made some adjustments.

tom_dangelo@pbpost.com

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers must do something about Wade

If I could take a coaching-Mulligan I'd have Fred ready to play backup PG instead of AJ and KA.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

If I could take a coaching-Mulligan I'd have Fred ready to play backup PG instead of AJ and KA.

Are you saying that Fred should back up Tinsley. Interesting. Might work depending on who else is in the game. Would need to have Artest and Al to help handle the ball.

Doubt Carlisle would go to that. Isiah would have.

The Pacers wouldn't still be playing if Isiah was coaching....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

sweabs

The Pacers wouldn't still be playing if Isiah was coaching....

-Bball
    Good point! LOL.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

When AJ missed that easy layup late in the game last night it reminded me of another backup PG we had named Ollie. Didn't he miss almost the same shot against the Nets?

Seems to me that with Wade - and this is a problem for Miami, you can rotate with your big men to cut off his penetration.

You have to do it well. The Heat are well coached and if the rotations aren't quick and decisive they'll burn you. But the only guy the Pacers have who can give Wayde trouble is Artest and if you move him, then Butler gets a free pass.

The Heat are just that kind of team - undersized and well coached. They move the ball, create matchup problems, etc. But the Pacers should be able to wear them down. Just don't let the Heat dictate play.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

When AJ missed that easy layup late in the game last night it reminded me of another backup PG we had named Ollie. Didn't he miss almost the same shot against the Nets?
    Man I feel sorry for Kevin Ollie. I personally thought he did a very good job for the Pacers and that he deserved to be re-signed. Instead, he is remembered for a blown layup in a game from a season that without him we probably wouldn't have even been playing in that game.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Are you saying that Fred should back up Tinsley. Interesting. Might work depending on who else is in the game. Would need to have Artest and Al to help handle the ball.

Maybe have AJ play SG. He brings the ball up, and lets Freddie do the rest.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

sweabs

That would leave AJ to guard Eddie? Hmmm...I wouldn't want AJ there though...he may feel inclined to take a lot of shots.

That would leave AJ to guard Eddie? Hmmm...I wouldn't want AJ there though...he may feel inclined to take a lot of shots.
    That could be a pretty even matchup...AJ is about the same size as Eddie...and I don't think he would get driven by.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

sweabs

That could be a pretty even matchup...AJ is about the same size as Eddie...and I don't think he would get driven by.
    It would be real interesting to see how that played out...I don't see the "conservative" Carlisle to try it though...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You've all taken this a slightly different direction than I've intended. Which is okay, but now that I'm back from lunch I'll clarify.

Remember, I'm the guy that's been begging all season for an eight-man rotation. To do that, IMO, you can only play three guards. I want Fred to continue to develop into a Joe Dumars (or, more accurately, Syndey Moncrief type of player.) Which was the idea when he was drafted. Although those guys were starters/ All-stars, and I just don't see Fred as a starter, that's the type of guard I want him to be.

So I'd like Fred to check in for Reggie at the five minute mark of the first quarter, play SG alongside Jamaal for the rest of the quarter. Then Reggie checks in for Jamaal at the beginning of the second quarter. Fred plays PG alongside Reggie until about the seven minute mark of the second quarter, then Tinsley comes back. If playing the entire second quarter is too much for Reggie, then Fred can come back at the three minute mark.

Repeat during the second half, except at the three minute mark the coaching staff can pick the best two of the three players for that particular game.

Now, the mulligan I want is because Fred has played less than ten minutes of PG all season long. If Rick tries this now, I'll strangle him.

Although I'm proudly one of Isiah's loudest critics, I'm happy to acknowledge that he had several good, and some great ideas (to go along with many, many bad and rotten ideas) - now his ability to execute his good/ great ideas is another story, and I don't want to turn this into one of the millions of Isiah Thomas threads around here - but I wanted to point out the difference between Isiah and Rick here. Both guys have enough basketball smarts and savvy to find this type of idea intriguing. [size=9:a4477fe274]I'm not saying my particular suggestion is perfect, I don't watch Fred in practice any more than the rest of you do. [/size]

In both cases, the team and the individual players wouldn't be prepared for this type of major strategy change. Isiah would try to implement it during a playoff game, anyway. It may or may not work as planned, because there are many other independent variables. Not the least of which is the element of surprise - for one game it might be wildly successful just because the opponent wouldn't be prepared. Rick would wait until next summer and devise a way to include that as part of next season's master plan. Now that plan might still dictate UB's suggestion - that Ron and Al have to be the forwards because of thier ability to assist with the ballhandling if Fred and Reggie are the backcourt. But if Rick has to lose some games in the short-term, he'd rather maintain the sense of continuity than have an expiriment go bad and therefore have anybody questioning their role.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wade is gonna be Wade , I have seen him play alot in the playoffs and watch most every game and seen him saturday when I was at the game , I did see him break down in one game vs the hornets when baron davis got into his head with some spectacular play and alittle good old fashion trash talking. Wade is one of those guys that can play subpar in the first 2 qtrs then explode on you like a bomb in 3 and 4 and I don't see in any of the 3 games how we have handled him , wade has scored Game 1 -22 pts , Game 2 - 19 pts , and game 3 -25 pts in which he scored 14 alone in the 4th.

It's almost crazy but it seems the more difficult the shot for wade the better for him and he seems to blow the easy buckets and makes the impossiable play happen. Wade has been ultra hot in the playoffs at home and we can't afford to let him in game 4 pull off another , not to mention the rebounding but that's another thread.

I think we can all agree that Freddie needs to learn some PG skills for the long term. As much as we may love him, he's not gonna take over the 2-guard spot when Reggie leaves. However, he can greatly increase his role if he can spell Jamaal off the bench. Regardless of what you think of AJ, he's not the long term solution. Kenny's gone after this year, and as much as some of us would like to see Siggy get a shot, I don't think Larry's gonna bring him back.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!