Thread: Jazz Owner Criticizes Kirilenko, States He's On "Thin Ice"

Banned

Default Jazz Owner Criticizes Kirilenko, States He's On "Thin Ice"

Miller irked with Kirilenko on court, complaints off it

Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller said Andrei Kirilenko, his highest-paid player, is "putting himself on thin ice" with inconsistent play and complaints about his role on the team.
    Forward
    Utah Jazz

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    34 9.1 5.2 3.6 .447 .759
    Miller said he cringes during some of Kirilenko's jump shots.
    "I'd almost like to call his bluff, say 'OK, automatically we're going to leave you out there. You're going to take 20 shots a night five games in a row. And then we'll see,"' Miller told radio station 1280 AM.
    "That would resolve the issue," Miller said Thursday. "He's either going to make them or he's not."
    After a meeting with coaches Tuesday, Kirilenko said he sometimes doesn't feel like he's on the floor.
    "I just go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth and I go to sleep," he said.
    Miller didn't like it.
    "I would have to say he's putting himself on thin ice," the owner told the radio station. "The combination of not playing very well and shooting his mouth off -- that's not a good combination."
    But Kirilenko sounded positive after nine points and seven rebounds Wednesday against the Detroit Pistons. He's averaging 9.1 points per game.
    "I feel I'm much more in game now," he said. "I hope it goes on for few games now."
    Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Default Re: Jazz Owner Criticizes Kirilenko, States He's On "Thin Ice"

Danny is better then him. The most overrated player in the NBA right there. I remember when people said he was better then Ron, yeah right.

Banned

With all the talk about the Pacers possibly making more moves and needing to improve their defense, I figured Kirilenko could make an interesting discussion.

He's having a fairly lousy season, his production is way down and his contract is huge, and with the Jazz owner unhappy with him, I don't think he'd be that hard to get right now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny is better then him. The most overrated player in the NBA right there. I remember when people said he was better then Ron, yeah right.

I don't think he's bad at all. He's just not getting the shooting touches he got last year, with Boozer, Okur, Williams etc. stepping up for the Jazz. His rebounding is also down, but overall he still has a great game and can play great defense. There was talks of Granger playing SG, so there would be room for AK-47 here as the starting SF and be a top-3 scoring option behind O'Neal and Granger.

I'd been watching this story out of the corner of my eye. I don't think we have a big need for him, but I've always enjoyed his game. He's like a garbage-type player that can hoop. Also, I think if he comes to Indiana, we enter a lotto where once a year we get to have a crack at his wife.

If he's complaining about his role with Utah, he'd hate life here.

He is better than Ron. By a decent margin. It was a matter of time before the situation with him blew up, though. With Deron, Boozer and Okur playing so well, AK47 was the odd man out on offense. And high paid players don't like that.

On a team that would allow him to be a part of the offense, he's still good for 15-16 PPG, which with his outstanding shot blocking ability, above average passing skills and great defense still makes him a very good talent.

And he's only 25 years old. His contract is a burden, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    If he's complaining about his role with Utah, he'd hate life here.
    I just checked NBA.com, and Kirilenko is the Jazz's SIXTH leading scorer.

Boozer, Okur, Williams, Harpring, and Fisher are all scoring more, the last two doing it in limited minutes off the bench. I think the guy has legitimate beef, he's been their franchise guy and brings everything to the court yet now he's regulated to their 6th option?? I think here in Indy he could be our #3 option and return back to being a 15 ppg, DPOY-type player.

I'd make them a decent offer, including Williams or Diogu, although I'd prefer to keep both of them especially Ike. But AK-47 is an All-Star-talent who's still young, so that's the price you'd have to pay.

Banned

Good god imagine Granger, Kirilenko and JO on the floor at the same time. Thats some serious shot blocking. And if Harrison ever takes off that dress and figures out how to not foul every possession... thats more shot blocking.

Not realistic, but wow.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not a big fan of AK-47 hes got a hot wife, but his basketball skills just scream roll player to me which makes his contract one of the worst around.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I am not a big fan of AK-47 hes got a hot wife, but his basketball skills just scream roll player to me which makes his contract one of the worst around.
    I remember an interview on ESPN, I think last season, about AK-47 and his wife. For one night each year, she lets him go out with another woman and do whatever he likes while she turns her back and doesn't care about what he does with her. Or something like that.

I like AK, but not on this team. If we're focusing on acquisitions, we should be looking at the guard spots. We've got plenty of tweener forwards.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by indyman37 View Post
    I remember an interview on ESPN, I think last season, about AK-47 and his wife. For one night each year, she lets him go out with another woman and do whatever he likes while she turns her back and doesn't care about what he does with her. Or something like that.
    Yeah, I read that, but the article also said he never had!

I traded for AK and I think he's a great player, he has tremoundous athletic ability and if you ignore the points the rest of his stats are quality

I understand his grief and it hurts me more then anything..

Status Alert: Kirilenko scored eight points on 4-of-6 shooting while handing out six assists and grabbing five rebounds Friday. (Jan 19)

for the season he is averaging 5.2 Boards, 1 Steal, 2.1 Blocks, 3.6 Assists

thats above average stats across the league, he has a good bball IQ and would love him here...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

I'd like to have him, but only if we could officially nickname him "Drago"

The guy is a great rebounding and defending small forward. Not a great shooter, but he's a low turnover guy when he's not a big part of the offense. He's a Bobby Jones type of player from the old Sixers teams. Offense when it's called upon, very good defense, assists and rebounds from the forward spot. I'd be absolutely in favor of getting him under the following conditions:

1-We package Tinsley and something (#1 pick??) for a jitterbug point guard who can pressure the ball.

2-we package Dunleavy and something to get Kirilenko.

3-Doing so would leave us with: Granger, O'Neal, Murphy, Kirilenko, PG from #1.

That team would be one of the three best defensive teams and the best rebounding team in the league. It would have physical length, decent quickness, a nice inside/out game, a good basketball IQ, and lots of flexibility. I'd run two wings (Granger and Kirilenko) on offense with a high/low post. Let Murphy screen for either wing and release off a screen to pop out baseline for shots. You wouldn't even need to run many plays for O'Neal because between the PG, Granger, and Murphy, he'd get his touches. Kirilenko's responsibility would be to shoot open shots from 17 ft and in, or hit O'Neal/Granger/Murphy. It seems like a low profile, but on a very good team where he'd rack up a ton of assists and play the role of defensive stopper, guys have an easier time stomaching this. Defensively, it would be a stretch against the top SGs in the league, but I'd play a zone/zonish defense with some ball pressure and dare people to shoot over these guys. You could do a lot of trapping with Kirilenko and Granger. Imagine Bryant coming off a screen against Granger only to see Kirilenko on the other side, or driving only to see Kirilenko or O'Neal covering.

I'm dreaming, because it would take 2 trades to make this happen (PG trade being the least likely), but I would be very happy with this.

No way Jazz trade Kirilenko. Sloan said "it is my job to make him play better not to trade him", so he is getting more touches in last 3 games which Jazz by coincidence won. Check his line tonight against Bulls: 10 pts 6reb, 7ast, 3 steals 2 blocks. He is to vital for the Jazz to make a strong run in playoffs, without him our defense is below average.

Anyone else hate Larry Miller? He's been publicly badmouthing his players since Karl Malone came into the league, and he never seems to catch any crap about it, yet Mark Cuban is a "bad guy" for being too involved with his players/franchise.

I honestly can't think of anything you can do as an owner that's worse than having a war of words in the media with your best paid player, especially when that involves threatening them with a trade.

If this guy were an NFL owner, wouldn't we all agree that he's insane? If Manning had a sub-par year next year and Irsay came onto a radio talkshow and said Manning had better shape up and that he didn't like him, wouldn't he be considered to be a psycho? How is this different?

Larry Miller is a jerkoff, don't pay attention totwhat comes out of that guys mouth.

And injuries have slowed down Kirilenko's career, but not killed it totally. He's still valuable as an athletic utility player who can guard both perimeter and some post players. Back in the day, he was as good or better than Artest, even if you don't take off points for being crazy.

Default Overkill in forwards

I think Kirilenko would be a nice addition to the team but I think we're all forgetting how stacked we are at forwards and how thin we are at guard.

Look at his contract. He is at $12 million now and it will go up to $17 million. His total contract is $86 million. We already have the bulk of our salary going to O'neal, Murphy, and Dunleavy.

Although we'd have to give up Murphy and Dunleavy to even get close to matching his contract and I'm not sure why they'd do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Anyone else hate Larry Miller? He's been publicly badmouthing his players since Karl Malone came into the league, and he never seems to catch any crap about it, yet Mark Cuban is a "bad guy" for being too involved with his players/franchise.

Yeah, the treatment Dantley has received is pretty ridiculous. The guy hasn't even had his jersey retired.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/MD8.../AdrianDantley

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    I'd like to have him, but only if we could officially nickname him "Drago"
    LOL Priceless!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

If we can somehow spin a free-agent defecting Stojakovic and Jackson into AK-47 via Dunleavy/Murphy/Ike, my head would explode.

I know I'm dreaming; please don't wake me up. It's fun in Pacer Dreamland.