Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss JO to the Nets

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Let's discuss JO to the Nets

Worth discussion, in my opinion, is trading JO to the Nets for Kidd and something else.

Or, JO and Tins for Kidd and Jefferson. Does that work?

I'm sure many will respond with screams not to trade JO, but it needs to be discussed with an open mind. His value is extremely high right now (it wasn't a year ago, if you remember.) He could opt out of his contract this summer. And we are stacked with power forwards right now, one of them (Diogu) with the potential to be as good as JO in a couple of years.

Is there anything we could take away from New Jersey that would make you guys entertain a trade that has JO for Kidd at the core?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's discuss JO to the Nets

I have absolutely no interest in Kidd. Even less so if we are giving up Jermaine to get him. Kidd is what, 36? 37? He has 3 years left max. Even if we were somehow able to get him without giving up JO, I still don't think we would be contenders. If Kidd, Carter, Jefferson, and Krstic can't do it, then how could Kidd, JO and Granger do it? Any trade giving up JO to NJ has to start with Marcus Williams AND Nenad Krstic. JMO

I'm against trading JO at this point. He is the only guy we can count on at the moment to come in and produce at a fairly high level night in and night out. If he's traded, then I would assume the idea would be to start over with the young guys (Granger, Shawne, Ike). We would have to get several young prospects back and possibly a draft pick. I don't see the point in trading our best player for an old PG that will be done in a couple years.

If we could put together a package to get Krstic and Kidd, I would be fine with moving JO. They both are all-star level talents. Also, we need a true starting C and we have enough PF's on the roster with Murphy, Ike, Foster, Baston. If we see Ike playing at a high level, it might be just the right time to make the move.

Talk about ball movement. We would be a very, very different team...with a much higher basketball IQ.

Bye Jermaine, bring kidd in

Why would we bring in a player like Troy Murphy that compliments Jermaine, just to trade Jermaine away? I almost never criticize TPTB for the moves they make, but trading Jermaine for Kidd would seriously make me question what kind of committment this team has to winning. If during the off-season Jermaine and TPTB sit down and decide it would be best for both parties to part way, THEN lets start discussing this a bit. But as long as Jermaine continues to say that Indiana is where he wants to be, and this is where he wants to retire, then the topic of trading Jermaine is as worthless as talking about the life of a dead fly.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we did JO and Tins for Kidd and RJeff, both teams would be worse. I like Kidd a lot, and I'd love to have him for those 3 years he has left. I like RJeff too, honestly. But JO is worth so much more than that, especially with how he's playing right now.

I'm usually open to any trades, no matter who is involved, but JO this year has placed himself on my "do not trade" list. Even more so because we just made a deal to compliment him.

I'd rather discuss Tinsley to the Nets than JO.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Why does everyone want to trade JO now? I just don't get the thinking behind it. If we are going to trade hime, it would happen this summer, not now, so let's focus on what we have and what they can do with JO on the team.

We can discuss it like crazy but considering TPTB just started to build around him, JO isn't going anywhere. And thank GOD for that. Have you people not seen how he's played this year? He's been the only consistent performer but NO, let's trade him! Wow. Sometimes, I'm just astounded.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounds harsh but I really don't think this is the time and place to trade our franchise player. Although I guess I can see where you're coming from, it just seems very unrealistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can discuss it like crazy but considering TPTB just started to build around him, JO isn't going anywhere. And thank GOD for that. Have you people not seen how he's played this year? He's been the only consistent performer but NO, let's trade him! Wow. Sometimes, I'm just astounded.
    Thank you, these kids need to relax on the JO trade threads>>>

Also, I thought J.O. could opt out in summer '08, not '07.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    My thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    Yeah, that's right.

Lol if this trade ever happens we wouldnt make playoffs. Nets would easily make playoffs with JO and no Kidd.
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post
    Bye Jermaine, bring kidd in

let's discuss JO to the nets....let's not! if JO were never a pacer and was playing for someone else, he would probably be coming up in alot of trade rumors or pacer fans wish lists that lands him here. let us count our blessings.

Mood

If Jermaine were to opt out we'd need a post presence something neither Jefferson or Kidd would add.

Kidd without JO would lead us nowhere -plus his age allows maybe 3 more good seasons.Plus if JO leaves in a trade I'd rather rebuild.

Basicly any other players involved in deal to get Kidd for a 3 year run would be my preference.

If Jermaine were to leave I'd rather spend whatever cap room money that freed up on a player in 24-26 age range preferably a good young big guy. Not knocking Ike Diogu but he's 6'8 and not a real leaper he'll never be defensive presence Jermaine is, he might score 18-20 but he'll not get you 10 rebounds and be a defensive force inside in my opinion.

Guess summing up you only acquire Kidd to play along side JO in my opinion, otherwise its purely a latteral move.

It would be stupid to trade JO. End of story.

I think that we should stay pat with JO for now, with the new guys coming in. However, if Kidd came aboard without JO, I think that we would stand a great chance of going deep into the playoffs. I can go either way on the trade.

Reading other reports from scouts, writers and GM's, JO is not rated as high as we rate him. The consensus seems to be that he certainly is not a franchise player that you would want to build a team around.

I understand all the naysayers on trading JO. They are right, moving JO for almost any combination to the Nets would actually hurt us. However, I am firmly of the opinion it would only hurt us in the short term...maybe 2 years. The key player in that trade in my opinion would be Krstic. He is going to be one of the best true centers in the league very shortly. In 2 or 3 years, I bet he's on the all-star team.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, there are only 4 players on the roster older than JO: Tinsley, Army, Baston and Foster. At least two of those guys are on their way out very soon...and Baston is merely a role player. Our future lies in Granger, Williams and Ike...critically they are all forwards, not centers. Particularly important is that Ike has an awesome post game and ONLY plays PF.

Banned

Two good reasons not to trade O'Neal for Kidd....

1. Jermaine O'Neal is now much more of an impact player than Jason Kidd (hence why the Nets, even with 2 All-Star talents beside Kidd, are still terrible.)

2. Jermaine O'Neal is 5 years, 7 months younger than Jason Kidd. Kidd is at the point where his game is declining, who knows how much time he has left in the league? O'Neal has 5 more years of being in his "prime".

Saturday, January 20, 2007
    BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO AND DAVID WALDSTEIN
    Star-Ledger Staff

NEW YORK -- The calls about Jason Kidd's availability have dwindled in recent days, once word spread around the league that the Nets aren't interested in moving him.

Two reasons: They are now convinced there are only two or three teams in the league that can put together an adequate package for one of the NBA's hottest players, and they have also reached the conclusion that there is no logical deal for Kidd that doesn't lead to a rebuilding/bust-it-up scenario.

But the Nets never say never, and there could be a development -- currently unforeseen -- before the trade deadline.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I understand all the naysayers on trading JO. They are right, moving JO for almost any combination to the Nets would actually hurt us. However, I am firmly of the opinion it would only hurt us in the short term...maybe 2 years. The key player in that trade in my opinion would be Krstic. He is going to be one of the best true centers in the league very shortly. In 2 or 3 years, I bet he's on the all-star team.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, there are only 4 players on the roster older than JO: Tinsley, Army, Baston and Foster. At least two of those guys are on their way out very soon...and Baston is merely a role player. Our future lies in Granger, Williams and Ike...critically they are all forwards, not centers. Particularly important is that Ike has an awesome post game and ONLY plays PF.
    What makes you so high on Krstic? The guy can score, no doubt about it, but his rebounding and defense are utterly pathetic. Troy Murphy can do anything Krstic can do plus he's actually a damn good rebounder.

Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post
    let's discuss JO to the nets....let's not! if JO were never a pacer and was playing for someone else, he would probably be coming up in alot of trade rumors or pacer fans wish lists that lands him here. let us count our blessings.

That's the best line I've read all day, and it's 1,000,000% true. Props

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post

I agree with you on Krstic's potential. I'd love to have him with the Pacers. However, lets not forget he is injured this season. The other thing is we've only ever seen him as a 4th option on a team with 3 other guys who can really create for post players. Those 3 guys are making Mikki Moore look like he deserves to be a starter. I'm not saying that Krstic is Moore, but it just doesn't make sense to surrender Jermaine O'neal to get him.

Trading JO for Kidd would be like trading Alex English for George McGinnis, been there, done that, didn't work.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Why do people keep acting like JO provides a post presence. He doesn't. 15 footers=/=post presence.

Kidd pulls down triple doubles about half as often as JO pulls down a 20-10 game, Kidd>>JO