Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrington and Jackson in the starting lineup tonight

Default Harrington and Jackson in the starting lineup tonight

This is one of those nights that I'm glad I have NBA League pass and that the Warriors play at 10:30. With any trade I find it interesting to see how the players the Pacers traded away fit in. After a few games my interest will wane, but for right now it is facinating.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Saturday, January 20, 2007

For the new players the Warriors will trot out tonight, their shoes are likely to get more breaking-in than the guys wearing them.

There will be no gradual easing-in of the ex-Pacers now that they are Warriors. No dipping their toes in the pool to see if the water is to their liking. In Don Nelson's world, it's either sink or swim, baby.

"We got them to be starters and by God, I'm going to do it,'' Nelson said Friday after Stephen Jackson, Al Harrington, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Josh Powell went through their first practice as Warriors, an enervating session that stretched beyond two hours.

"We're not going to fool around.''

That means Jackson and Harrington will be in the starting lineup tonight in Oakland with Baron Davis, Mickael Pietrus and Andris Biedrins as Golden State marks the halfway point of the season against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Jackson will run with Davis in the backcourt while Harrington slides into the power forward spot. Pietrus and Jackson will probably alternate trying to keep LeBron James from being LeBron James.

"The lads are in good shape and they're ready to play,'' Nelson said. "It's very difficult when you make a major trade to get everyone on the same page. I'm a little worried how they'll do ... We have to be careful not to give everybody too much for the first three-four weeks and gradually add some things. Right now I want them to play not thinking about 100 little things.''

Jasikevicius and Powell will take their place on a Warriors bench that is now longer and deeper. Monta Ellis, Matt Barnes and Kelenna Azubuike will join Nelson's rotation and get their minutes off the bench instead of starting.

"All of a sudden we have a very deep team,'' Nelson said. "As long as we stay healthy, nobody should be overplayed at this point. I'm going to lengthen the roster and play more guys. I'm not going to play 12 guys but I'll probably play 10.''

Nelson's holdover players seemed energized by the additions of Jackson and Harrington, a trade-up in terms of athletic ability over Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy.

"It's a huge trade for us,'' said guard Jason Richardson, going through the drudgery of rehab while his broken hand heals. "We've got two guys in Jackson and Harrington that are capable of doing so many things in this style of offense. It's a good trade for us ... It's going to be exciting. I want to get this cast off.''

Pietrus is expected back tonight from an ankle injury -- just in time to play a little defense against one of the most dynamic offensive players in the league in James.

"He's one of the most powerful players I've played against,'' Pietrus said. "I'm going to try to minimize his touches. I'll be happy to play against him.''

Of his remade team, Pietrus said, "We are going to be a tough team to beat. Now we have a lot of guys who can play. I'm very excited about that. Everybody is excited. It should be a good thing for everyone.''

Friday's practice at the Warriors' facility in downtown Oakland was longer than recent sessions and served as an introduction for Jackson and Harrington to Nelson's up-tempo offense. They will get their run on in Oakland.

"We definitely play a faster pace,'' Barnes said. "That's something they have to adjust to. They're not used to all this running and open shots. I've never met a player who didn't want to shoot. I think they'll be fine.''

Default Re: Harrington and Jackson in the starting lineup tonight

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...printstory.jsp

Harrington, Jackson will shore up defense

By Geoff Lepper
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES

OAKLAND - On Wednesday night, when the Warriors had to scrape through their game against the Los Angeles Clippers with just seven active players, the timing of their eight-player deal with the Indiana Pacers seemed ridiculous.

In fact, forward Al Harrington and swingman Stephen Jackson might have arrived at the perfect moment: just in time to take on Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James.

It's not that James is a perennial Warriors-killer. His career average of 28.5 points per game against Golden State is only 2.0 points higher than his overall mark, and he was held to just 14 points in the Cavaliers' lone trip to Oakland last season.

It's just that the addition of Harrington, Jackson, Saruanas Jasikevicius and Josh Powell and the subtraction of Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Ike Diogu and Keith McLeod should instantly improve the defense that has struggled this month.

"It certainly doesn't hurt us, that's for sure," said Warriors coach Don Nelson, who frequently criticized Murphy, Dunleavy and Diogu for their deficiencies at that end of the floor.

Larry Riley, Nelson's top assistant, was a little more blunt: "We have some things we can work with. We expect to see improvement on the defensive end."

That shouldn't be hard. The Warriors are last in the league in points allowed at 106.8, although that stat is skewed heavily by how quickly Golden State tries to play.

A truer indicator is opponents' field goal percentage, which stands at 46.1 percent. That's 21st out of 30 NBA teams, and the Warriors' worst since 2000-01, when Golden State featured such defensive non-luminaries as Antawn Jamison and Marc Jackson.

The revamped Warriors' first test comes tonight. Either Jackson or forward Mickael Pietrus will open on James defensively, and it will be the start of what the Warriors hope can be a successful partnership on their part.

"I know that he's a guy (that) gets after it on the defensive end, and I think we'll complement each other that way," Jackson said of Pietrus.

Said Pietrus: "I used to have problems defending (Jackson's) post-ups. He's with me now, so I can learn from him."

A Western Conference scout acknowledged that Harrington gives the Warriors "a little toughness they didn't have," but noted that Jackson "is not a great defender. ... He likes to gamble for steals in order to get out on the break."

Warriors guard Jason Richardson, not surprisingly, disagrees with that assessment of Jackson's skills.

"He's a tough defender," Richardson said. "He's the type of guy you can rely on to guard (an opponent's) top scorer and pretty much contain him, keep him under his average."

Jackson, who instantly became the Warrior with the greatest postseason experience, is hoping to lead by example.

"Guys have got to want to do it," Jackson said. "Guys don't have a problem with running down to the other end and shooting shots. So guys shouldn't have a problem going out there and trying to stop them from scoring."

While Jackson makes a stand on the perimeter, Harrington could often match up with the opponent's best interior scoring threat, leaving center Andris Biedrins free to block shots and continue avoiding foul trouble.

"I think we're going to do a very good job," Harrington said of himself and Jackson. "We're more athletic than (Dunleavy and Murphy), and I think that coach can demand more out of us. And we have to give it to him. I have a lot of pride, Steve has a lot of pride, Josh Powell has a lot of pride. We've just got to bring that (defense) here and let the guys know that's what wins basketball games."

After having to rely on zone as a crutch for much of the first two months, the influx of new talent could allow the Warriors to get more aggressive and imaginative in their man-to-man schemes.

"I think we have to be really careful not to give everybody too much for the first three, four weeks, and then gradually add some things," Nelson said. "I would say after we've played together, we'll be able to do a lot of creative things. Right now, I want them to play and not think about 100 little things."

Contact Geoff Lepper at glepper@cctimes.com.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I get a kick out of listening to all this happy talk in Oakland.

Like Sacremento, it will just be a matter of time.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Exactly ... just wait until Jackson is fouled and doesn't get a whistle, and he stands there arguing with the ref, while LeBron is on the other end dunking the ball. Man, I will not miss that at all. And Harrington ... where do they get that he is a good defender ... I sure didnt see it this season. He was constantly letting his player dominate the games.

I Hope to read a post game thread on tonight's G.S. game from those of you that get to watch it.

I do think though that Jax and Al are a defensive improvements over Murph and Dun. At least they should be. And if that was the whole trade I wouldn't be all that excited about the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

As much as I dislike Jack, he is no Artest. I would not be surprised if he kept a fairly low profile and played pretty well. The bigger problem IMO is with how Harrington will take being a back seat to Baron, Ellis and Richardson. Al likes to shoot every other time down the floor. At GS, he will not be doing that.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    As much as I dislike Jack, he is no Artest. I would not be surprised if he kept a fairly low profile and played pretty well. The bigger problem IMO is with how Harrington will take being a back seat to Baron, Ellis and Richardson. Al likes to shoot every other time down the floor. At GS, he will not be doing that.
    Bad tempers are bad tempers, and usually they get worse as a person gets older. I expect a honeymoon period for the rest of this season. But Jackson isn't going to fix what's broken until he gets therapy or something.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This is one of those nights that I'm glad I have NBA League pass and that the Warriors play at 10:30.
    Party at Buck's house!!!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Time will tell... I will go check them out at some point during the season.

I do think though that Jax and Al are a defensive improvements over Murph and Dun. At least they should be. And if that was the whole trade I wouldn't be all that excited about the deal.

I agree with you regarding Jax, but not Harrington. Jackson played good defense when he came to Indiana, but Carlisle preached defense to him and continued to beat that horse to death until he became even better on that end of the floor. He never got much out of Harrington, so I'm just wondering how it's going to be when Nellie doesn't even mention the word defense to Al in GS.

It's kind of unfair to compare the defensive ability of Murphy and Dunleavy to that of Harrington and Jackson because, the only coach that comes to mind that has ever mentioned the word there is Eric Musselman -- that didn't last very long.

It's a wait and see kind of thing to figure out what Carlisle gets out of them defensively. If he can get Sarunas playing respectable defense, I think he can get it out of just about anybody.

Monta Ellis is better then Jackson, and Nellie is dumb for benching him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    Monta Ellis is better then Jackson, and Nellie is dumb for benching him.
    I, too, am puzzled here. Does GS not know how much Jack struggles on fast breaks and how he will just slow down any offense? It's weird. I guess they have him in there to guard LeBron but still...the fact that they think so highly of his play befuddles me. He doesn't really fit with them at all.

My fantasy team will suffer thanks to Mr. Jackson (I have Mr. Ellis). Just another reason to love the gun-toting father of 11 (in 8 different cities).

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Yep. That's why I made my rant about the Heat game and that terrible FG% allowed missing Jack and Al.

This is also why for the last few years I've gone off pretty badly when people list Jack as some terrible defender. Sure he's no Bowen or anything, but he is willing to get physical with guys and force them off their spots. Speed guys can hurt him, but bigger SG/SF types (like James, Wade) who like to work inside the arc more and flash a little of their own strength are guys he has matched up well with in the past.

GS's defense is dreadful, and 2 of the major parts of that just joined the Pacers.
    It's kind of unfair to compare the defensive ability of Murphy and Dunleavy to that of Harrington and Jackson because, the only coach that comes to mind that has ever mentioned the word there is Eric Musselman -- that didn't last very long.
    True. Fair point there.

I hear all this talk about the improvement, but I see a total wash in most things, a downgrade in defense, a downgrade in rebounding between Dunleavy and Harrington (compared because Dun is too slow for SG duty, too small for C play, just like Al), and somehow even less speed.

The Pacers didn't get Richardson and Biedrens coming back, but to hear some of the talk you'd think they did.

Having said that, clearly the Oakland press is unaware that Jack is no uptempo flier himself and that Al's defense this year isn't a ton better than what he is replacing. They have improved...SLIGHTLY.

And Saras is about to find out what not playing is all about. Honestly I have no sympathy for his crybaby fanboys who spent every day telling us what an idiot Rick was for not utilizing Cabbages better. I think Saras is about to find out the same things Fred, AJ and Croshere just learned...that with RC you actually got some playing time that other coaches aren't willing to hand out.

As much as I enjoyed Jack as a Pacer, I will be interested to see how his dynamic with the new coach works out. He won't feel comfortable enough to rip into him for a few months, but if he gets back to his old habit of yelling at the coach as he comes out of the game I suspect it won't get the same leeway with Nelson.

We are going to be sick seeing Harrington continuing his 3P% at 40% with this Warriors team, especially if Murphy continues his "hot" 1 for 11 January.

I guess I cross my fingers and hope that GS ends up sick when Diogu finds a role with the Pacers. How that happens with him being a pure low-post PF I don't know. But I do like his offensive game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Party at Buck's house!!!
    You didn't get my invite. Oops I forgot. Nevermind.

I'm shocked at how the Warrior coaches and his new teammates, and the media in the Bay Area all think that Jackson will thrive in the Warriors system. I think that Jackson is much better in a halfcourt system where he can use his greatest advantage his height to post up and to shoot his rainbow jumper - he's also better in a physical defensive system - an aggressive system where he can gamble.

And I think most Pacers fans agree with me on this. Is there anything uglier than Jackson running a fastbreak - I don't think so.

Should be very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I guess I cross my fingers and hope that GS ends up sick when Diogu finds a role with the Pacers. How that happens with him being a pure low-post PF I don't know. But I do like his offensive game.
    One thing that is very underrated in Diogu's game is his face up shooting. He's not just a post up player. He can hit the open 15-18 jumper without any problems. I have concerns about his defense and I don't think his rebounding is as good Bird and Walsh seem to think it is. But Diogu can make shots. That is his greatest asset.

So I think he and JO can and will play pretty well together

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guessing 10 or so combined TO from Jack and Al tonight...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Yep. That's why I made my rant about the Heat game and that terrible FG% allowed missing Jack and Al.

This is also why for the last few years I've gone off pretty badly when people list Jack as some terrible defender. Sure he's no Bowen or anything, but he is willing to get physical with guys and force them off their spots. Speed guys can hurt him, but bigger SG/SF types (like James, Wade) who like to work inside the arc more and flash a little of their own strength are guys he has matched up well with in the past.

GS's defense is dreadful, and 2 of the major parts of that just joined the Pacers.

True. Fair point there.

I hear all this talk about the improvement, but I see a total wash in most things, a downgrade in defense, a downgrade in rebounding between Dunleavy and Harrington (compared because Dun is too slow for SG duty, too small for C play, just like Al), and somehow even less speed.

The Pacers didn't get Richardson and Biedrens coming back, but to hear some of the talk you'd think they did.

Having said that, clearly the Oakland press is unaware that Jack is no uptempo flier himself and that Al's defense this year isn't a ton better than what he is replacing. They have improved...SLIGHTLY.

And Saras is about to find out what not playing is all about. Honestly I have no sympathy for his crybaby fanboys who spent every day telling us what an idiot Rick was for not utilizing Cabbages better. I think Saras is about to find out the same things Fred, AJ and Croshere just learned...that with RC you actually got some playing time that other coaches aren't willing to hand out.

As much as I enjoyed Jack as a Pacer, I will be interested to see how his dynamic with the new coach works out. He won't feel comfortable enough to rip into him for a few months, but if he gets back to his old habit of yelling at the coach as he comes out of the game I suspect it won't get the same leeway with Nelson.

We are going to be sick seeing Harrington continuing his 3P% at 40% with this Warriors team, especially if Murphy continues his "hot" 1 for 11 January.

Come on Seth, I think that you're going to be pleasantly surprised by how well Murphy and Dun fits into our team. JO will benefit the most from their presence. Defenses will not be able to sag on JO and he'll have more one on one situations.

Unlike most posters, I don't think Diogu, was the primary player in the deal. Although, I think that he'll work just fine alternating with Jeff. That way we will have a good rebounder down low at all times.

I believe that we can win 47-50 ball games yet this season and when the playoffs come around will be a well-oiled machine and the players will be comfortable with each other. You can't play the game on paper like you've been trying to by comparing the stats of each player. We may be somewhat weaker on individual defense but have a stronger team defense.

I still wish we could have gotten Pietrus in the deal... that would have made me a total believer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I still wish we could have gotten Pietrus in the deal... that would have made me a total believer.
    If we could have gotten Air France, instead of Dunleavy I would have been much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    If we could have gotten Air France, instead of Dunleavy I would have been much happier.
    I don't think JO would agree with you. Dunleavy is a good role player. He's not a great shooter but he'll make the open shot, which is important when playing in zones. Also, he is anything but selfish and will get JO the ball. From what I've read, he's also a good entry passer, which will be key. JO's scoring will rise with this trade. He could never work in games once the other teams closed a zone in on him. Now he's got players that understand spacing, moving without the ball, and passing. I'm really happy with this trade from that perspective and I think JO is too.

Honestly, as is the case with most mid-season trades (Iverson, Webber), I expected Ellis and Barnes to be in the starting lineup tonight, opposed to Al and Stephen. Giving them confidence initially should help ease the transition. I'm definitely looking forward to their debut, especially because they're already big pieces to the Warriors, even in their first game.

Pietrus is hands down the dumbest basketball player in the league. Baron constantly is in his ear telling him what his latest mistake was. I watch a ton of Warrior games and all he does is stand in the corner and launch 3s so that Nellie can limit the chances for him to screw up. Obviously his athleticism can hide his low b-ball IQ, but he just doesn't have a feel for the game.

I know this is a little off topic but who do you think will start for the Pacers tonight? Pacers.com has the lineup of Tins/Quis/DG/JO/Jeff. But I had made the assumption that some of our new guys would be in our starting lineup.