Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What PG should we (realistically) pursue?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What PG should we (realistically) pursue?

Chris Duhon would be perfect but the salaries don't match. Delonte West if he's healthy is an upgrade defensively and offensively. I think Mike Miller would be a nice addition although he's not much better defensively.

Anthony Johnson would've been a great PG to have now. He was pretty good offensively and defensively he wasn't perfect but he didn't get killed on screen and roll plays like Tinsley.

It'll be interesting to see how Dunleavy fits in and whether he can fit into a point-forward type of role.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like any of these guys:

Randy Foye (hasn't been mentioned yet)
    Chris Duhon
    Delonte West
    Luke Ridnour
    Kyle Lowry

Who's up for getting back Sarunas Jasikevicius?
    That'll do.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

Delonte West. He and Marquis Daniels would make a pretty good back court.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Andre Miller
    Jason Kidd (help him get away from his ex)

There's alot of other guys out there, but I don't know if they would be an immediate upgrade to Tinsley, who knows our system, and even plays in it 80% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Even just a few months after the draft I can confidently say that Shawne Williams was a much better pick than Rondo. Watching him plenty in Boston, it has become clear that he is a horrible shooter and ballhandler and is not at all what we need right now.

Also, like Hicks said, shoot and defend is key. I'm still holding out for Delonte West. The Celts are not nearly as high on him now as they were and the man can shoot and defend. He can also play basic PG. If you pair him Marquis or Dunleavy you have two capable ball handlers that are also fairly intelligent players.
    Exactly trade Harrison for West and throw in someone else to match salaries. Tinsley and West would certainly get the job done. Also play Shawne more.

Mood

Jarrett Jack - Portland. I have always liked him!

Can someone check salaries on a Tins for Jack trade? I'd do it even if we had to include David!

The Blazers are not going to trade Jarrett Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by pig norton View Post
    Who's up for getting back Sarunas Jasikevicius?
    You know I wouldn't mind .....

But seriously, here are a few names:

Kirk Hinrich - pretty untouchable (is only going in a trade for JO?)
    Mike James - tradeable (Minny needs a big, Tinsley/Foster for James/Jaric?)
    Delonte West - tradeable (Celtics could use a big too, Tinsley/Foster/McLeod for West/Ratliff?
    Andre Miller - pretty tradeable (Tinsley/Foster for Miller/Hunter?)

Maybe only James and West are possible options, but are they that much better than Tinsley to give up on Foster?
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    The Blazers are not going to trade Jarrett Jack.
    Why not, it looks like they could use a change, and maybe if we sweeten the deal with dunleavy and / or david?

Besides, if we are serious about getting a better point guard, he is one that will make us better. Alot of these other PG's that are being mentioned are a lateral move to Tins IMO.

I mean come on, we raked the blazers once, why not twice?

David they dont need, the just drafted a center #2 in the draft.

Dunleavy they dont need they drafted Webster in the top 5 last year.

They are a really young team, building for the future, trading Jarrett Jack for Tinsley does nothing for them.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    Jarrett Jack - Portland. I have always liked him!

Can someone check salaries on a Tins for Jack trade? I'd do it even if we had to include David!
    OK, i figured out how to do it (via realgm trade checker). Here is a scenario:

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    12.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 6.3 apg in 30.9 minutes
    Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    5.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.6 minutes
    Incoming
    Raef LaFrentz
    6-11 C from Kansas
    1.6 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 8.9 minutes
    Jarrett Jack
    6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
    12.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 5.6 apg in 35.0 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -3.4 ppg, -8.4 rpg, and -1.2 apg.

Portland Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Raef LaFrentz
    6-11 C from Kansas
    1.6 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 8.9 minutes
    Jarrett Jack
    6-3 PG from Georgia Tech
    12.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 5.6 apg in 35.0 minutes
    Incoming
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    12.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 6.3 apg in 30.9 minutes
    Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    5.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.6 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +3.4 ppg, +8.4 rpg, and +1.2 apg.

IM afraid that Ike will be taking time from Foster anyway, with Troy taking over the starting center position. I would hate to see Jeff go, but he has been prone to injury. Just like the Al, Jack for Dunleavy, Murphy trade - you gotta give up something to get something, and we have the depth.

This puts the rotation at:

PG Jack
    SG Daniels
    SF Danny
    PF JO
    C Troy

Second unit:
    PG Oriene / DA / McCloud
    SG Dunleavy / Rawle
    SF Shawne / Daniels
    PF Ike / Danny
    C Maceo / JO / Raef / David

Edit for RealGM reference

As much as I'd love to see Delonte West in a Pacers uniform, i'm not so sure its gonna happen. Before he went out for the last 4 games with a bruised back, he was the Celts starting PG, playing 30+ mins a game. I'm not sure whether Ainge sees West as the long term option at the point but he definately seems to have beaten out Telfair and Rondo for that spot. Though if the Celts think they can get healthy and make a push for the Atlantic Crown, stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    David they dont need, the just drafted a center #2 in the draft.

Dunleavy they dont need they drafted Webster in the top 5 last year.

They are a really young team, building for the future, trading Jarrett Jack for Tinsley does nothing for them.
    Especially when Jack is good, has potential, doesn't have a shady background (something big in Portland), and doesn't get injured easily. Those things too. But otherwise I'm sure Portland would love the trade.

Sports Logo

Its not optimal....but Bibby+Garcia for Tinsley+Foster works. Defensively....its a complete wash....but at least we slightly upgrade our PG spot with a better scoring PG
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

For the record, the point guard I want is in Toronto.

PG Jose Calderon is young, quick, has a very affordable contract, and has potential to grow into the kind of point guard we all want. I like his quickness, his ballhandling ability, and he is on the same team as TJ Ford, who likely will continue to get more minutes than Calderon.

We could likely deal with Toronto, as they are remaking their roster just like we are. They are near playoff level, although they still arent truly a good team yet. They also would likely include the expiring contract of Mo Pete, if we wanted to do something on a bigger scale.

Jose Calderon is my first choice, and really the clear cut winner in my book. I like Andre Miller too but he has a big contract and isnt that great a shooter either, although his defense is much better than we are used to. Mike Bibby is getting older and has a huge contract, and is more of a shooting point guard than I personally prefer. I like Rajon Rondo from Boston, but I think his upside is limited to a Jacque Vaughn type player. Kidd is too old and expensive. Ridnour doesnt play good enough defense for my taste, although he'd be an overall upgrade. TJ Ford, Chris Paul, and Deron Williams we have no chance at. Fisher is too old and limited. Tyrone Lue sucks. Livingston is untouchable. Ther just arent that many available choices that fit our budget and stayle of play, other than Calderon.

There also may be some other European guard out there in the world someplace that we dont know about yet.

GetMoney

still baffled that we passed on Marcus Williams in the draft last year knowin damn well Tinsley is liable to get hurt hoppin off the bus

Smile Re: What PG should we (realistically) pursue?

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    I like any of these guys:

Randy Foye (hasn't been mentioned yet)
    Chris Duhon
    Delonte West
    Luke Ridnour
    Kyle Lowry
    I would have loved to have Ridnour before the trade.I think he would have been a perfect compliment with the parts we had.Right now I don't think he fits(then again he may fit in better then Tinsley but thats not saying much).Mainly because his defense is so bad it would be hard to play Ridnour and Dunlevy together in the backcourt.

With the addition of Dunlevy hes basically your pg on the offensive end so we need to get players who fit with Dunlevy and to a certain degree Daniels. If West is available the Pacers should make every effort to get him.Hes a quick on the ball defender,good shooter and a good ball handler, Lowry and Foye are nice players and would fit in well but I doubt there respective teams will trade them. Duhon while a rugged defender is just not a good enough shooter to play alongside Daniels and Dunlevy.

I think D.Fisher though would be a nice complement to the guards we already have and yes I know hes not the most talented pg in the world and not the sexy name but he does the three things that we need from that guard spot and that is he can stay in front of his man on defense, he can hit a open shot and he's a solid ball handler.Normally I wouldn't think of Fisher as a starting caliber pg but with this team and considering all the options available he may be the best fit.

Nobody's trading a PG that we want straight for Tinsley. He contract is too long and he's viewed as fairly average, a bad contract, injury-prone and a malcontent.

To get another starting-caliber point, we might be able to package Tins with Shawne and Foster though. Would leave us with a rotation of:

New PG/Darrell/Green
    Quis/Danny/Rawle
    Danny/Dunleavy
    Murphy/Diogu/Baston
    JO/Harrison

Still would need a better SG option IMO, but it'd be one step closer to where we're trying to get.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post

PG Jose Calderon is young, quick, has a very affordable contract, and has potential to grow into the kind of point guard we all want. I like his quickness, his ballhandling ability, and he is on the same team as TJ Ford, who likely will continue to get more minutes than Calderon.

We could likely deal with Toronto, as they are remaking their roster just like we are. They are near playoff level, although they still arent truly a good team yet. They also would likely include the expiring contract of Mo Pete, if we wanted to do something on a bigger scale.
    We do not have anybody ( short of Foster....which I am reluctant to give up given the possible need to have another defensive Big Man to play next to Murphy and Ike other then JONeal ) that Toronto would want in exchange for Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Nobody's trading a PG that we want straight for Tinsley. He contract is too long and he's viewed as fairly average, a bad contract, injury-prone and a malcontent.
    This is the main problem that I think that we have in trying to acquire a new PG....nobody wants to commit that much money to a PG that has that long of a contract and is that injury prone. At best...if DW/Bird is able to move him...it will likely have to include Foster and/or Shawne....where we make a lateral move at the PG spot.

I would much rather play through the rest of the season with Tinsley at the point to see how well we really do with the additions that we acquired. I wouldn't be surprised if Tinsley plays the rest of the season ( mainly cuz we have no takers on his contract ), ups his trade value as much as possible so that we can wait til the offseason to move him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'm going to throw out a name that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Marko Jaric

As I recall he is on the outs on Minnesota.

He is a combo guard that would fit in with our team better than he has for the Timberwolves. Not much of a playmaker but with Daniels & Dunleavy, I don't view that as a big minus. He has a far better shooting percentage than Tinsley & is a superior defender.

Link to his NBA.com stats.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marko_jaric/index.html

The contract, according to Hoops Hype are very similar.

Tinsley is listed at 5.8 with 4 more years. http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

Jaric at 5.5 with another 4 years. http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/minnesota.htm

That would leave the T-Wolves with Tinsley, Mike James & Troy Hudson at point.

On paper this would be a downgrade in talent but on the court, where we actually play the game, I feel it would be a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I'm going to throw out a name that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Marko Jaric

As I recall he is on the outs on Minnesota.

He is a combo guard that would fit in with our team better than he has for the Timberwolves. Not much of a playmaker but with Daniels & Dunleavy, I don't view that as a big minus. He has a far better shooting percentage than Tinsley & is a superior defender.

Link to his NBA.com stats.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marko_jaric/index.html

The contract, according to Hoops Hype are very similar.

Tinsley is listed at 5.8 with 4 more years. http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

Jaric at 5.5 with another 4 years. http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/minnesota.htm

That would leave the T-Wolves with Tinsley, Mike James & Troy Hudson at point.

On paper this would be a downgrade in talent but on the court, where we actually play the game, I feel it would be a great deal.
    I forgot about Jaric, I agree offensively he's a good fit but from what I've seen of him defensively he's not that much of an upgrade over Tinsley.I could be wrong on that though since I haven't watched many Timberwolves games over the past year.

If he'd get back healthy, I don't think getting Steve Francis would be such a bad idea. He should soon be bought out by the Knicks. Pick him up (I have no idea about any contract issues), trade Tinsley for a capable SG, and our backcourt problems are (hopefully) (partially) solved.

Then again it might as well be (a bad idea), plus I don't see TPTB going after him.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post

Jose Calderon is my first choice, and really the clear cut winner in my book. I like Andre Miller too but he has a big contract and isnt that great a shooter either, although his defense is much better than we are used to. Mike Bibby is getting older and has a huge contract, and is more of a shooting point guard than I personally prefer. I like Rajon Rondo from Boston, but I think his upside is limited to a Jacque Vaughn type player. Kidd is too old and expensive. Ridnour doesnt play good enough defense for my taste, although he'd be an overall upgrade. TJ Ford, Chris Paul, and Deron Williams we have no chance at. Fisher is too old and limited. Tyrone Lue sucks. Livingston is untouchable. Ther just arent that many available choices that fit our budget and stayle of play, other than Calderon.

There also may be some other European guard out there in the world someplace that we dont know about yet.
    And your thoughts on Delonte West?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    If he'd get back healthy, I don't think getting Steve Francis would be such a bad idea. He should soon be bought out by the Knicks. Pick him up (I have no idea about any contract issues), trade Tinsley for a capable SG, and our backcourt problems are (hopefully) (partially) solved.

Then again it might as well be (a bad idea), plus I don't see TPTB going after him.
    NOOOOOOOOOOO! I'd rather have Marbury, than stev-me franchise, if we trade with New York. And besides, as much as Bird and Isiah get along, do you really think they would be willing to even talk. Whats more, I never, and i repeat never, want to see us trade anything with New York ... unless of course, if we can rake them over the coals like we did Portland in the JO trade. That would be like a sin in Indiana, and as bad as it would be to trade anything with Detroit. Those are our 2 biggest hated teams.