Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What PG should we (realistically) pursue?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What PG should we (realistically) pursue?

It should be pretty apparent to even the staunchest Tinsley supporters by now that the man is just too inconsistent and unreliable to run a title-contending team. So, if we want to do more than just settle for early playoff exits, we need to upgrade the position.

Who would you like to see the Pacers go after that may actually have a realistic chance of ending up here?

Default Re: What PG should we (realistically) pursue?

earl watson

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Love Tinsley's game when he's on, so I'm not even sure I want him traded. But Bibby is one guy I'd trade him for. The Kings are struggling mightily, and this might make sense for both sides. JT is more of a distributor when he's used right; we need Bibby's range.

Make it Foster (who I'd hate to see go, but you gotta give up quality to get it) and JT for Bibby.

We will be downgrading in talent if/when we trade Tinsley. All I ask is that our PG be good enough to warrant 25+mpg, and that he can do two things: Defend and shoot.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Luke Ridnour?

Banned

David Harrison for Rajon Rondo of the Celtics

Tinsley & Harrison to Toronto for Mo Pete and Jose Calderon

Here is a list of point guards who make roughly the same amount as Tinsley.

Eric Snow
    Chauncey Billups
    Antonio Daniels
    Bobby Jackson
    Troy Hudson
    Earl Watson
    Derek Fisher

Those would be the easiest to match salaries with and only one would make a difference and he's not going anywhere. Snow's too old, Daniels isn't starting material, Jackson is too old, Hudson would be a downgrade, Watson has no shot and Fisher is too old.

There's always the draft next year. Acie law from Texas A&M should be available in the mid to late 1st round. Mustafa Shakur puts up some impressive numbers for Arizona St.. Bobby Brown has a tremendous outside shot but he plays for Cal St. Fullerton. Jared Jordan of Marist (home of Smits) led the nation in assists last year and is currently averaging even more this year but he turns it over alot. I'm sure there are even more out there but I don't really follow college ball all that much. Seeing as how we've needed at least a solid backup since we sent Travis Best to Chicago and have only filled the gap with ageing vets, castaways and haven't drafted any points, but we've drafted 5 or six swingmen all while having those positions pretty well stocked over the last 4 or 5 seasons I see no reason why they would consider drafting a point guard at this juncture.

I see no player currently in the NBA who would be available to the Pacers that can bring us any closer to the title than Tinsley. At the rate Larry & Donnie are making trades these days, I'd like to stand pat before we futher downgrade the overall talent level on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We will be downgrading in talent if/when we trade Tinsley. All I ask is that our PG be good enough to warrant 25+mpg, and that he can do two things: Defend and shoot.
    it's hard to find a point who can shoot and defend, usually you have to sacrifice one for the other. those who can do both are hard to get your hands on and i doubt we have the goods to get it done.

considering the recent trade, i think shooting, rebounding, and distribution have improved. murphy and ike can hit the boards much better than al ever did. murphy and dunleavy are better/more consistent shooters than al and jax. dunleavy is also a very good passer along with quis (who is going to get more PT).

we can get away with a PG who is just average in passing & shooting. we need one who is a sturdy defender. that's why I want earl watson. he's a solid point who doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and is an above average defender. dribble penetration is killing us right now.

if we could somehow move tins and harrison for watson and a little more depth at the wing position i think we would be set.

Sports Logo

The only pg's who have more talent than Jamaal are not available. What we need is a coach who is not a control freak.

Keep Tinsley. He's won games for us this year. Maybe if had a consistent team of shooters, he would stay consistent. Most people on here were tooting his horn at the beginning of the year. He's played in all games, yes his defense sucks, but a good team is going to mask that. Emphasis on TEAM.

Does it really matter now? Seriously it sounds we're back to throw it into JO permanently so how important will the point be?

I agree with Hicks that we're really in need of a point who can shoot and defend first rather than natural point skills.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

If I was the Pacers I would make a strong run at Travis Diener of Orlando, although I don't think the Magic have been to happy with Carlos Arroyo so maybe Diener isn't that available at the moment.

Luke Ridnour is a guy i'd love to have. Only I don't know that he is avaliable. Maybe Ridnour and Danny Fortson for Jamaal Tinsley and Jeff Foster.

I like Derek Fisher. Although I don't see why the Jazz would trade him for Jamaal Tinsley.

I think that the Pacers best bet is to package up Tinsley with Jeff Foster and hope that it can land them a solid point guard. This team, IMO, is in trouble with the point guard situation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    The only pg's who have more talent than Jamaal are not available. What we need is a coach who is not a control freak.
    And then Tinsley will be able to shoot and defend?

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Does it really matter now? Seriously it sounds we're back to throw it into JO permanently so how important will the point be?

I agree with Hicks that we're really in need of a point who can shoot and defend first rather than natural point skills.
    Exactly. Find an undersized shooting guard if you have to. If he can make an entry pass and can dribble up the court, he's fine. Just don't let him stand and dribble like Travis Best.

I think Ridnour would be fantastic of course it'd be nice to have Ray Allen but that's a pretty big pipe-dream. I think if we offered them David Harrison + Jamal Tinsley we could get Ridnour I have no idea what the contract matching situation is, but i'm fairly confident we could get Ridnour and that would be fantastic. Only thing I know would come up within probably days of the whole trade is the race issue some moron would inevitably question.

PG - Ridnour
    SG - Marquise
    SF - Dunleavey
    PF - JO
    C - Murphy/Foster

Too me it's not a big deal, but you know some idiot will play the race card.

Go get Rajon and make up for missing him in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb View Post

You mean the guy that can't throw a snowball into a pool from 20 feet?...pass

Quote Originally Posted by JB's Breakout Year View Post
    Love Tinsley's game when he's on, so I'm not even sure I want him traded. But Bibby is one guy I'd trade him for. The Kings are struggling mightily, and this might make sense for both sides. JT is more of a distributor when he's used right; we need Bibby's range.

Make it Foster (who I'd hate to see go, but you gotta give up quality to get it) and JT for Bibby.
    hmmm... interesting, that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Exactly. Find an undersized shooting guard if you have to. If he can make an entry pass and can dribble up the court, he's fine. Just don't let him stand and dribble like Travis Best.
    Ehh...personally, I would rather not bring back Fred Jones.

Who would we have to put in a package to get Kidd?

ROTFL

"get rid of Tinsley" yep

Do you really think that we can get better with another PG as long as Rick coaches this team?

Bring back AJ, our previous starting PG, who can hardly break the rotation on a basketball team where he is asked to "point"

Tins is fine, it's the coaching that in that particular department (player and position) is dismal
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb View Post
    Even just a few months after the draft I can confidently say that Shawne Williams was a much better pick than Rondo. Watching him plenty in Boston, it has become clear that he is a horrible shooter and ballhandler and is not at all what we need right now.

Also, like Hicks said, shoot and defend is key. I'm still holding out for Delonte West. The Celts are not nearly as high on him now as they were and the man can shoot and defend. He can also play basic PG. If you pair him Marquis or Dunleavy you have two capable ball handlers that are also fairly intelligent players.

TINS is not fine, he makes way to many mistakes. Right now his negatives, out way his positives. I like him too when he is on, but man everytime he jacks up a three I cringe. His mid range game is decent, I see him hit a lot of those little floaters and those are fine. I think if we go get a point guard who has more experience and a High bball IQ, then we would be better off.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rondo is quicker than Tinsley, but just as poor a shooter and defender.

Bibby is past his prime, and his defense is even worse than Tinsley's.

In a perfect world we'd somehow get Devin Harris, but we all know that's not happening.

Personally I like the idea of Derek Fisher. I thought the Pacers should have looked at him when Golden State traded him to Utah. He's a solid defender and probably a better 3 point shooter than anyone on the current roster, new guys included. He's got a bad contract, but I think TPTB have given up on the concept of cap space, so that's not much of an issue.

Chris Duhon might be an option.

There are some back-up type guys who would be good folks for us too look at as well. Tyronn Lue might be available from Atlanta. He's a 35% 3 point shooter and a high energy guy (something Tinsley will never be). Since Atlanta's not going anywhere, and he's not their PG of the future, we may be able to get him cheap. Carlos Arroyo is an option. He's not a great shooter, however, so that might not be such a good fit. Brevin Knight is injured and old, but is a definite pass-first pg.

There are some ideas. I'm not in love with any of them, but they'd all upgrade our situation.