Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

A clean slate & a new day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A clean slate & a new day....

Originally posted by Peck View Post
    Now that the dust has settled & the last game played before the new team arrives it's time to clean the slate for the year & start over fresh.

As of Saturday night we will begin our very abreviated season. How will the season be? Will the results be better, the same or worse? Only time will truely tell on this and in truth this season may not be enough time to tell.

There are other factors at play here as well. Are we done trading? If we do make trades how big or how significant will those trades be? Will we still have the same coach?

Who knows, that is for the future to decide I guess.

All I know is that as of now everybody gets to start fresh.

Now to the trade itself.

Hmmmmm.......Do I like the trade?

First off it doesn't matter if I like the trade on a player by player basis. All that matters to me & this is why I LOVE this trade is that Walsh & Bird took a look at the team & said "this isn't good enough".

Do you have any idea how much that restores my faith in mankind? I have lived year after year after year after year of hearing "we don't make trades for the sake of trade" & "We have to be patient" or "we need to get to the off season & then evaluate our future from there" that I had become numb from it all.

It would have been easy for them to sit back & just be content with making the playoffs again, which they will do, and then try & do something over the summer.

But the fact that they had the nads to just literally say we are on a treadmill to nowhere impresses me more than I think I've ever been impressed before by them.

Also, I feel that this goes a long way in ending another big problem of ours. Being half @ssed.

We were half @ss trying to be a running team. We were half @ss trying to be a half court play through Jermaine team. We were doing a lot of things this way.

Well, like it or not, we now have committed to a style & a focus on which we will play.

Jermaine O'Neal is now the one & only. Oh sure someone will have to be scoring option # 2 & heck maybe even they will come close to J.O. in scoring.

But make no mistake this trade does one thing & one thing only. It puts a team in place around O'Neal that should allow him to thrive.

Frankly this may be the best way to go. Instead of trying to find a Robin to go along with his Batman maybe we should have been looking for a legion of superheros (sorry that was truely nerdy on my part but I had to throw in some DC love for Skaut ech)

Not only do I love the trade from the managment side of things I am probably about the only one of you who loves it from a player for player trade.

I harken back to Brad Miller in this part because it's just to obvious for me to pass up.

They go out & get Brad Miller light (Troy Murphy) when they could have just kept the real thing, but that is for a past argument.

Troy will immediately pay dividends on the offensive end with J.O. in the game. Teams will no longer be able to just leave one of our big men uncovered on the floor. In fact if they do decide to do that Troy can burn them from out to about 18'. Now I haven't watched him play for a good while so I'll defer to the good posters from the bay who have already given their reports on him, but I always thought he was a good rebounder.

Defensively? Again, they are adamant that he won't play physical. If that is true I don't see where he will help on the defensive end at all but let's see what he does here first.

My gut feeling? By the end of the first week Troy will either be starting with J.O. or he will be getting the majority of the min. at center.

As to Dunleavy? I have never understood the hate for the guy. Again, I don't watch G.S. that much anymore but whenever I've seen him play in the past I always thought he was a good player. I like his rebounding & I think he is good with the ball.

I don't know where he will end up on the roster btw. I could see him being anything from starting shooting guard to the 6th man who swings between the 2-3.

Ike, come on we all want "I like Ike" pins don't we? I know people are high on him & I like him to but I just don't know where he fits in with J.O. on the team.

He is a 4 pure & simple & J.O. is firmly planted in the four slot. Unless they are hedgin their bets with J.O. (you know in case he walks after next season) I just don't see where he will be anything more than a good big man off of the bench. Sadly this will probably put an end to Maceo Baston playing much.

McCloud? Meh. This years version of Kevin Ollie.

The other thing that I love about this trade is that it will now force Rick Carlisle to go big & not adjust down as he is so want to do.

We now have fourlegitimate big men in Murphy, Foster, O'Neal & Harrison. We now have Baston, Diagu, Williams & Granger who are all big enough to play at the four. We have Daniels, Granger, Williams, Dunleavy who can swing between the 3-4 & we have Tins.,Greene, Armstrong & McCloud at the point

Not to mention Marshal.

Anyway even if he wants to go small someone on the floor is going to have some bulk.

Another thing I love about this trade is the fact that Bird addressed the one major glaring need that we have had on this team in so long I can't remember when it wasn't a problem.

Rebounding.

We should now be a good rebounding team. We may not be great but we should very rarely lose the battle of the boards again.

Defense? I don't think it hurt us IMO, but time will tell.

Now to the players we lost?

Al. I like Al Harrington. I liked Al Harrington returning. However it wasn't working. Was it Al's fault? Maybe. It could also be Jermaines fault or Rick's fault or the moon's fault. The fact is it doesn't matter who's fault it was it just wasn't working.

I'll miss Al & I wish him well in the bay, but frankly this time I am not stomping the ground cursing the fact he was traded.

Jackson? It was time. Actually it was past time. Jackson was not a bad player nor was he even a bad person probably. But he just was not a good fit with our team. On a team of veterans that could shrug off his oddness like S.A. a few years ago he could get by with that. But on a team filled with some people less than mature he was just a disaster. The fans were often times to hard on him but there were times he deserved every single boo he got. I'll miss his defense. I won't miss him harping to the refs. after every offensive possesion.

Saras. Sad really. I thought at the beginning of this season that he was really starting to get it. In fact I loved when he & Armstrong would come into the game & often times would change the tempo. He's a good passer & a good shooter. He has improved his defense. However he was never as good as advertised & sorry to say this but a lot of his fans hurt his popularity more than they helped it here. But he was never as bad as some of us were saying either. I also wish him well in G.S. & I have a feeling that Saras will retire from Europe not the NBA. Not that he is not good enough, but I think he will go back to where he is more comfortable after this contract is up.

Josh Powell. Sorry fellas, but I blame Rick for us not knowing what Josh could offer. Instead of keeping 5 point guards on the active roster he should have put Powell in there for more than a few token apperances. In the pre-season he looke very good. Not a star but somebody who looked like they could have helped on the glass & some post defense. But Ricks fascination with playing his small forwards at the 4 & even the 5 spot never let this happen. I don't think Josh will ever amount to much in the NBA but I think he could have been & still could be the 3rd or 4th big man on an NBA team.

Overall let me just say this.

I love the trade from the aspect that it says to me that TPTB are not content.

That is all that I ever ask of them.

But on top of that I actually like the trade itself & what it does to the team.

So starting Saturday everybody starts fresh with me. That means J.O. gets a clean slate as well. I will now try my best to put the post game 8 argument out of my mind.

Maybe the team hasn't ever really tried to give him the players to elevate his game before. Well with this trade I think they have.

So my avatar changes & my sig. changes.

What other changes will come?
    long post, but nice one, thanks for the read!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
      Now that the dust has settled & the last game played before the new team arrives it's time to clean the slate for the year & start over fresh.

As of Saturday night we will begin our very abreviated season. How will the season be? Will the results be better, the same or worse? Only time will truely tell on this and in truth this season may not be enough time to tell.

There are other factors at play here as well. Are we done trading? If we do make trades how big or how significant will those trades be? Will we still have the same coach?

Who knows, that is for the future to decide I guess.

All I know is that as of now everybody gets to start fresh.

Now to the trade itself.

Hmmmmm.......Do I like the trade?

First off it doesn't matter if I like the trade on a player by player basis. All that matters to me & this is why I LOVE this trade is that Walsh & Bird took a look at the team & said "this isn't good enough".

Do you have any idea how much that restores my faith in mankind? I have lived year after year after year after year of hearing "we don't make trades for the sake of trade" & "We have to be patient" or "we need to get to the off season & then evaluate our future from there" that I had become numb from it all.

It would have been easy for them to sit back & just be content with making the playoffs again, which they will do, and then try & do something over the summer.

But the fact that they had the nads to just literally say we are on a treadmill to nowhere impresses me more than I think I've ever been impressed before by them.

Also, I feel that this goes a long way in ending another big problem of ours. Being half @ssed.

We were half @ss trying to be a running team. We were half @ss trying to be a half court play through Jermaine team. We were doing a lot of things this way.

Well, like it or not, we now have committed to a style & a focus on which we will play.

Jermaine O'Neal is now the one & only. Oh sure someone will have to be scoring option # 2 & heck maybe even they will come close to J.O. in scoring.

But make no mistake this trade does one thing & one thing only. It puts a team in place around O'Neal that should allow him to thrive.

Frankly this may be the best way to go. Instead of trying to find a Robin to go along with his Batman maybe we should have been looking for a legion of superheros (sorry that was truely nerdy on my part but I had to throw in some DC love for Skaut ech)

Not only do I love the trade from the managment side of things I am probably about the only one of you who loves it from a player for player trade.

I harken back to Brad Miller in this part because it's just to obvious for me to pass up.

They go out & get Brad Miller light (Troy Murphy) when they could have just kept the real thing, but that is for a past argument.

Troy will immediately pay dividends on the offensive end with J.O. in the game. Teams will no longer be able to just leave one of our big men uncovered on the floor. In fact if they do decide to do that Troy can burn them from out to about 18'. Now I haven't watched him play for a good while so I'll defer to the good posters from the bay who have already given their reports on him, but I always thought he was a good rebounder.

Defensively? Again, they are adamant that he won't play physical. If that is true I don't see where he will help on the defensive end at all but let's see what he does here first.

My gut feeling? By the end of the first week Troy will either be starting with J.O. or he will be getting the majority of the min. at center.

As to Dunleavy? I have never understood the hate for the guy. Again, I don't watch G.S. that much anymore but whenever I've seen him play in the past I always thought he was a good player. I like his rebounding & I think he is good with the ball.

I don't know where he will end up on the roster btw. I could see him being anything from starting shooting guard to the 6th man who swings between the 2-3.

Ike, come on we all want "I like Ike" pins don't we? I know people are high on him & I like him to but I just don't know where he fits in with J.O. on the team.

He is a 4 pure & simple & J.O. is firmly planted in the four slot. Unless they are hedgin their bets with J.O. (you know in case he walks after next season) I just don't see where he will be anything more than a good big man off of the bench. Sadly this will probably put an end to Maceo Baston playing much.

McCloud? Meh. This years version of Kevin Ollie.

The other thing that I love about this trade is that it will now force Rick Carlisle to go big & not adjust down as he is so want to do.

We now have fourlegitimate big men in Murphy, Foster, O'Neal & Harrison. We now have Baston, Diagu, Williams & Granger who are all big enough to play at the four. We have Daniels, Granger, Williams, Dunleavy who can swing between the 3-4 & we have Tins.,Greene, Armstrong & McCloud at the point

Not to mention Marshal.

Anyway even if he wants to go small someone on the floor is going to have some bulk.

Another thing I love about this trade is the fact that Bird addressed the one major glaring need that we have had on this team in so long I can't remember when it wasn't a problem.

Rebounding.

We should now be a good rebounding team. We may not be great but we should very rarely lose the battle of the boards again.

Defense? I don't think it hurt us IMO, but time will tell.

Now to the players we lost?

Al. I like Al Harrington. I liked Al Harrington returning. However it wasn't working. Was it Al's fault? Maybe. It could also be Jermaines fault or Rick's fault or the moon's fault. The fact is it doesn't matter who's fault it was it just wasn't working.

I'll miss Al & I wish him well in the bay, but frankly this time I am not stomping the ground cursing the fact he was traded.

Jackson? It was time. Actually it was past time. Jackson was not a bad player nor was he even a bad person probably. But he just was not a good fit with our team. On a team of veterans that could shrug off his oddness like S.A. a few years ago he could get by with that. But on a team filled with some people less than mature he was just a disaster. The fans were often times to hard on him but there were times he deserved every single boo he got. I'll miss his defense. I won't miss him harping to the refs. after every offensive possesion.

Saras. Sad really. I thought at the beginning of this season that he was really starting to get it. In fact I loved when he & Armstrong would come into the game & often times would change the tempo. He's a good passer & a good shooter. He has improved his defense. However he was never as good as advertised & sorry to say this but a lot of his fans hurt his popularity more than they helped it here. But he was never as bad as some of us were saying either. I also wish him well in G.S. & I have a feeling that Saras will retire from Europe not the NBA. Not that he is not good enough, but I think he will go back to where he is more comfortable after this contract is up.

Josh Powell. Sorry fellas, but I blame Rick for us not knowing what Josh could offer. Instead of keeping 5 point guards on the active roster he should have put Powell in there for more than a few token apperances. In the pre-season he looke very good. Not a star but somebody who looked like they could have helped on the glass & some post defense. But Ricks fascination with playing his small forwards at the 4 & even the 5 spot never let this happen. I don't think Josh will ever amount to much in the NBA but I think he could have been & still could be the 3rd or 4th big man on an NBA team.

Overall let me just say this.

I love the trade from the aspect that it says to me that TPTB are not content.

That is all that I ever ask of them.

But on top of that I actually like the trade itself & what it does to the team.

So starting Saturday everybody starts fresh with me. That means J.O. gets a clean slate as well. I will now try my best to put the post game 8 argument out of my mind.

Maybe the team hasn't ever really tried to give him the players to elevate his game before. Well with this trade I think they have.

So my avatar changes & my sig. changes.

What other changes will come?
      Well said. Agree with all of it. I'll miss Al and I think it would have worked in the long run, but something needed to be done to shake this bunch up. And I think Danny is ready to be the full time 3 guy, so losing Al won't hurt much.
      Dumping Jackson was the highlight of this trade for me. NOT because I hate the guy or don't think he's an adequate player, but he just needed a fresh start somewhere. Once somebody becomes the "local whipping boy" it seldom changes. I think for a lot of Indy fans, that is the part that opened the drapes on that sunlight.
      Indifferent on Saras. I worry we'll miss his shooting, but happy to see Orien get those minutes. I think we need a defensive presence back there very badly.
      What the new guys will bring I have no idea. I've never been impressed with them (except Ike is very short spurts) but then I've only seen them a few times.
      I like what I hear about Dunleavy being a fundamentals guy. We need more of that so maybe he'll be a bigger factor here than in a wide open offense.
      I read that Murphy has been hurt so maybe that's why his stats are down so much.
      Worries me how openly they both get bashed in the local press and by their own coach! THat doesn't happen for no reason....................................

Comment

Originally posted by DaSMASH View Post
        I'm with Peck on this deal..............I LOVE IT......

After talking to a few people DOWNTOWN it seems that everyone in Pacer land that collects a paycheck from the Simons is very POSITIVE of this deal.

Now it gives the Franchise some breathing room from the fans that kept saying they would stay away until the "bad element" had been extracted. Whats funny is that most "casual pacer fans" look at this trade and start reading other teams blogs and see what kind of stiffs that Golden State has sent us. Most of the "casual" pacer fans listen to sports radio as their bible and believe what those "sportswriters" say. To say that I have no room for sportswriters on sports radio would be a lie, I need my afternoon chuckle from these Knuckleheads more than anyone.

This trade is what it is:

Troy Murphy is your rich mans Brad Miller with a Norte Dame education compared to a Purdue education.
        It's not Purdue, but a Notre Dame education is nothing to sneeze at.
        And Murphy is definitely a poor man's Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by lumber man View Post
          i like this, i think alot more people will get behind this team now.
          Give it a month. Everyone loves the greener grass, that's why it's a cliche.

58% FG by Miami, 10% worse than any other Miami game the last few years. How in the world do the defensive aces Dun and Murphy solve that?

Would things really have finished better with Foster off the floor in those final minutes last night? Looked like he was saving their butt from a double digit loss.

Shawne is no defensive stud yet, but will Dunleavy actually matchup better on defense than Shawne did last night?

Golden State is 21st in opponents FG%. The Pacers are 10th. GS is LAST in PPG allowed, the Pacers are again 10th. And the Pacers have a better rebounding PCT at both ends of the court.

If the Pacers had lost that Miami game due to a lack of offense, then I could see the hope. But I'm not looking forward to teams going 55% against the Pacers on a regular basis and them just losing games with higher scores.

And in fact if you look at the scoring and spreading the floor, consider this: the Pacers just sent 9.3 3PA in December at a 41% rate to the Warriors.

January it was 8.5 3PA at a 40% rate. For all the complaints about Jackson, the last month and a half he's shot the 3 around 35-36% which is his normal rate.

Coming back from 3
          DEC - 6.8 3PA at 34%
          JAN - 4.0 3PA at 32% (without McLeod's 3 for 4 in 2 appearances for the month, goes to 4.6 3PA at 37.5% with it)

So less defense, weaker threats from 3 including less attempts despite the higher tempo of play. And even in the per 48 minutes Dunleavy's assists aren't outpacing Jackson's by more than about 1 per 48.

That's the concern. A lot less defense, less 3pt threats total, and not the rebounding impact that is implied (Al, bad as he was, still put up modest RPG numbers that are better than Dun's per 48, Murph doesn't outrebound Foster if he replaces him).

All this for maybe 1-2 extra assists per game out of Dunleavy?

And let's not overlook the Murph injury concerns in comparison to the health of Jack and Al the last 3-4 years.

I'm glad people like the warm fuzzies, but I want some answers in regards to how this improves the team's ability to physically win games. If they don't win at least 11 games in this upcoming stretch of mostly home games this team is going to be headed for real trouble when the schedule gets tough again (and boy does it).

Comment

Seth, I understand what you are saying, but I think you're looking at this as if the individual players summed together make up the result.

That isn't the case.

I really don't care about a high percentage at 3 point shooting if the missed shots lead to an opponents score.

I'd rather see a high percentage of midrange shots that allow us to open up the middle and get the ball into the paint more easily, leading to a higher OVERALL percentage of shots.

GS is low in opponent FG% ratings because Nellie doesn't coach defense. So we can't just say it's because MDJ or Murphy suck as defenders - it could be as much because the team defense is non-existant.

Yes, on the face of it we gave up the higher-powered individual players. However, if the players we get are able to fulfill some roles the ones we gave up were unable to fill, we still get what we want out of the trade.
            BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
            Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

Originally posted by BillS View Post
              Yes, on the face of it we gave up the higher-powered individual players. However, if the players we get are able to fulfill some roles the ones we gave up were unable to fill, we still get what we want out of the trade.
              Good point, I remember personally I about had a fit when the Ps traded a two time 6th man in Detlef Schrempf for DMcKey. Trade turned out good for both teams.
              You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

58% FG by Miami, 10% worse than any other Miami game the last few years. How in the world do the defensive aces Dun and Murphy solve that?

Would things really have finished better with Foster off the floor in those final minutes last night? Looked like he was saving their butt from a double digit loss.

Shawne is no defensive stud yet, but will Dunleavy actually matchup better on defense than Shawne did last night?

Golden State is 21st in opponents FG%. The Pacers are 10th. GS is LAST in PPG allowed, the Pacers are again 10th. And the Pacers have a better rebounding PCT at both ends of the court.

If the Pacers had lost that Miami game due to a lack of offense, then I could see the hope. But I'm not looking forward to teams going 55% against the Pacers on a regular basis and them just losing games with higher scores.

And in fact if you look at the scoring and spreading the floor, consider this: the Pacers just sent 9.3 3PA in December at a 41% rate to the Warriors.

January it was 8.5 3PA at a 40% rate. For all the complaints about Jackson, the last month and a half he's shot the 3 around 35-36% which is his normal rate.

Coming back from 3
                DEC - 6.8 3PA at 34%
                JAN - 4.0 3PA at 32% (without McLeod's 3 for 4 in 2 appearances for the month, goes to 4.6 3PA at 37.5% with it)

So less defense, weaker threats from 3 including less attempts despite the higher tempo of play. And even in the per 48 minutes Dunleavy's assists aren't outpacing Jackson's by more than about 1 per 48.

That's the concern. A lot less defense, less 3pt threats total, and not the rebounding impact that is implied (Al, bad as he was, still put up modest RPG numbers that are better than Dun's per 48, Murph doesn't outrebound Foster if he replaces him).

And let's not overlook the Murph injury concerns in comparison to the health of Jack and Al the last 3-4 years.

I'm glad people like the warm fuzzies, but I want some answers in regards to how this improves the team's ability to physically win games. If they don't win at least 11 games in this upcoming stretch of mostly home games this team is going to be headed for real trouble when the schedule gets tough again (and boy does it).
                It's almost as if the coach in Golden State told his players never to play defense...give it some time you too, Seth, I think these players can function well in a good defensive scheme.

Also, as much as Jack's D and intensity will be missed, Sarunas and Al weren't exactly defensive stoppers.

Comment

Yo, SETH, take a deep breath.

You can't take a single game, where MIAMI shot UNCHARACTERISTICALLY LIGHTS OUT, and make it an issue.

When's the last time you saw Jason Williams with that stroke (9-12) ---like, NEVER?

And did Doleac miss (5-6)?

Let's see: Doleac 48% for the year; Williams 39%.

Can't beat ***, no matter what you do.

I will say this much, however, I definitely want to see more of Shawne Williams, and Granger and Daniels need to play MAJOR roles.

P.S. if the refs don't blow the kicked ball (Mourning) call, the Pacers probably win.

Comment

Williams shot like that in the Pistons series durring last years playoffs.
                    It was hard to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by v_d_g View Post
                      Yo, SETH, take a deep breath.

You can't take a single game, where MIAMI shot UNCHARACTERISTICALLY LIGHTS OUT, and make it an issue.

When's the last time you saw Jason Williams with that stroke (9-12) ---like, NEVER?

And did Doleac miss (5-6)?

Let's see: Doleac 48% for the year; Williams 39%.

Can't beat ***, no matter what you do.

I will say this much, however, I definitely want to see more of Shawne Williams, and Granger and Daniels need to play MAJOR roles.

P.S. if the refs don't blow the kicked ball (Mourning) call, the Pacers probably win.
                      Doleac was left wide open for free throw line jumpers.
                      You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Comment

It's tough for me to get excited about a trade designed to build a team around a guy who is a) IMO, not a legitimate superstar player and b) may not be around much longer anyway. If JO were MJ, I'd be ok with it. But he's far down from there. The last thing the team needs to be doing is stroking his ego - he needs to be under pressure to produce. Don't get me wrong. I think JO is a well above average player who'd be an asset to almost any team. But he's not the guy I believe you can build a championship caliber team around. As I said at the forum party, he's Scottie Pippen, not Michael Jordan.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see management not wait till the offseason to make a move. I'm happy to see Jax gone (though who knows he may be back to serve out his jail term by the end of the year). Harrington, as much as I like him, obviously wasn't working out. It's hard to see how we've hurt ourselves with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Coming back from 3
                          DEC - 6.8 3PA at 34%

Damn Seth, why be so negative!!!

At least, give the new team a chance. You haven't even seen them play yet and you're already bad-mouthing their production. You're trying to play the game on paper and it's just not done that way.

If the Pacers win 11 games of the upcoming stretch that would be phenomenal, with working 4 new players in, almost like pre-season again.

Comment

The feeling after this trade ( or what we could consider to be a major change to the makeup of the team ) seems to be different then the major changes that occured in the past ( like compared to after the trade for Harrington or Sarunas during the offseasons or the jettisoning of Artest for Peja ).

I pointed this out before in the Post-Game thread....but didn't the feel of the team and the overall game ( both in a positive manner ) seem different to you guys?
                            Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Like all trades, this trade offers some opportunity and some risk. The opportunities are that we have some addition by subraction (Jackson) and the opportunity to get some people who can score. It is pretty amazing how poor the Pacers have been in shooting. The risk is obviously with the rather bloated contracts that now reside in our payroll.

But, you don't get rid of a problem (Jackson) without taking on somebody else's problem (salaries.) I don't like Mike Dunleavy. It may be because he reminds me of his dad. Perhaps it is because he played for Duke. I have no basketball reasons, I just don't like him.

I've always liked Murphy and unless I am dreaming, he typically likes to light us up like a Christmas tree. I really know nothing about Ike or McLeod, but people seem to be really high on Ike. And the best news is we didn't really lose anything. When I say we didn't lose anything, I don't mean we didn't lose good players. I just don't think they were well matched due to styles of play or just reaching a point where they needed a new opportunity.

I do think this trade makes us worse defensively, which is the oddest part of all. Carlisle tends to like defensive minded guys, and Al and Jax had to be in our top 5 defenders. It seems like we are receiving more offense in this trade.

On a positive note, it has perked my interest. Mediocrity is boring and it has least awoken my thoughts to what is going on with the Pacers.
                              “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
                              motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
                              Reggie Miller

Comment

There seems to be a lot of concern about losing D in this trade.

First, losing Sarunas helps our D.

Second, Powell wasn't even playing.

Third, Harrington is not a good defender. Not at SF and not at his more natural position of PF.

Fourth. OK, Jack is a good defensive player. However, Quis is very good. Granger is sometimes better. Marshall is a very good defender. Greene is awesome and might get more minutes with Jack gone....even though he's a PG.

We lost a little bit, but seriously...it's not going to make a difference. Don't be confused by Miami's good shooting last night. We still have enough defenders.

The biggest impact will be on offense, unless Dun and Murphy play 30mpg. If they are both starters, we are choosing to keep our good defenders on the bench. That's very different than not having enough defenders.

Comment

Working...
                                X