Thread: Who will start along side JO?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Who will start along side JO?

I can see Murphy being a poor man's Brad Miller who can hit the open jumper and spread the floor for JO to operate on the low block. He's not as athletic as Brad or as good a passer but he provides rebounding and could possibly screen better than Foster. I could also see Diogu making it possible for us to do a smaller lineup of Danny-Ike-JO due to his rebounding and strength. I don't know who will start next to JO- maybe Jeff?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who will start along side JO?

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can see Murphy being a poor man's Brad Miller who can hit the open jumper and spread the floor for JO to operate on the low block. He's not as athletic as Brad or as good a passer but he provides rebounding and could possibly screen better than Foster. I could also see Diagou making it possible for us to do a smaller lineup of Danny-Ike-JO due to his rebounding and strength. I don't know who will start next to JO- maybe Jeff?

Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner-
    How Will Lineup Look With New Faces?
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

I'm willing to take a look at anything.

Maybe Troy and JO would be better and then Ike and Jeff might be better. I don't know we need to see how things go

Diogu at this point is still very much a 15mpg work in progress.

Frountcourt: O'Neal-Murphy-Granger
    Backcourt: Daniels-Tinsley

I'd give Diogu 7-8 minutes a night playing alongside Foster and O'Neal each. We need to figure out which role for him suits us best:

-Interior scorer to compensate for Foster
    -Second option to O'Neal, which would free him up for better shots. He'd also have a better defensive presence compensate for his lack of size.

It is lookin glike the big loser in this trade is probably Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Shack80 View Post
    It is lookin glike the big loser in this trade is probably Harrison.
    Agreed.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't understand why Foster has lost his starting job. Foster is currently third in the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes. Murphy is fifty-third. Yeah thats right. Jeff is a very good low post defender so that is not the problem. Foster doesn't contribute much offensively but he shoots a higher percentage than Murphy, yeah thats right, and Murphy only averages about 3 or 4 more points a game than Foster. Murphy spreads the floor a bit but he only shoots 37 percent from downtown. Can someone please please explain to me why he should be starting ahead of Foster.
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles

Quote Originally Posted by PostArtestEra View Post
    I don't understand why Foster has lost his starting job. Foster is currently third in the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes. Murphy is fifty-third. Yeah thats right. Jeff is a very good low post defender so that is not the problem. Foster doesn't contribute much offensively but he shoots a higher percentage than Murphy, yeah thats right, and Murphy only averages about 3 or 4 more points a game than Foster. Murphy spreads the floor a bit but he only shoots 37 percent from downtown. Can someone please please explain to me why he should be starting ahead of Foster.
    Agree that for now, at least, I'd rather bring Murphy off the bench.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Im one of Foster's biggest fans but I think we need to at least experiment with Murphy and JO starting. It might spread the floor a little bit and make things easier for JO.

I want to see Murphy's defense before I endorse starting him with JO. He doesn't need to be as good as JJeff is on the defensive end, but he needs to be average at least.

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention about the trade - is the effect it is going to have on Baston.

Two things are working against him now.

1) Saras is gone - they had great chemistry and worked great together.

2) more importantly with the Pacers adding another big guy (Al leaves but Ike and Murph come in) there aren't going to be any minutes for Baston. Jeff, JO, Murph and Ike will take every power forward and center minute there is. There are only 96 minutes available. JO is going to get 36. That leaves 60 for Ike, Jeff and Murph - that is only 20 minutes a piece.

Of course all this applies to Harrison as well.

Peck, I see you lurking- I'd love to read your thoughts - you used to really like Murphy

I don't understand why Foster has lost his starting job. Foster is currently third in the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes. Murphy is fifty-third.
    way to extrapolate part of one season, which began with an injury, and pretend that it defines the player.

If you want to talk stats, TM has averaged 15/11 and 14/10 in his last 2 full seasons.

I like Jeff and would start him if Troy proves to be a defensive sieve. I don't think that is the case. I also think JO would enjoy not being guarded by Jeff's defender as well as his own almost all the time.

61% of those who have been watching TNT tonight and sent a text message in think that the Warriors got the better of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    61% of those who have been watching TNT tonight and sent a text message in think that the Warriors got the better of the deal.
    95% of the people who send text messages to tv stations dont know jack about basketball. All they see is the big names: Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson.

Watching tonights game, I think we might have the better end of the deal. I was impressed with Quis and Danny, add the GS boys, and I am ok with this team. I think this team can ball, this is not the year, but I feel so much better about my team. And I have hope, that is huge!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    95% of the people who send text messages to tv stations dont know jack about basketball. All they see is the big names: Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson.
    I agree completely. People only go by name value and not actual ability. Of course they're gonna think Golden State got the better end of the deal, they've actually heard of Harrington and Jackson because the Pacers actually make the playoffs and are on national TV more than once every 28 years like the Warriors. But just sit back and watch Big Al and Jack fade into obscurity out in Oakland while Dunleavy and Murphy get their first ever big time NBA exposure come playoff time.

As for the topic at hand, I'd go with Murphy at least for now. He's as good a scorer/shooter as Brad Miller and will open up the paint for JO just as well. He's also proven he can be one of the leagues top-10 rebounders, which is a great, great bonus.

I think eventually Ike Diogu will become the starter but that's probably next year at the earliest.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jo and Ike will play the F/C the most but Foster will prolly start with JO.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Back to that poll, they were just talking about it on the TNT post game show.

Barkley: "That just goes to show that fans don't know nothing about basketball."

Ernie: "Nice way to treat our fans, shouldn't they be able to voice their opion?"

The Jet: "I wan't the fans to watch the game, I don't want them to voice their opinon about it".

God I love those three.

I'd like to see JO/Ike up front before JO/Murphy. From what I've read and seen in YouTube hightlite reels (what, that's a credible source) Ike's got an ok mid-ranger, fairly comparable to Murphy's.

Play JO/Ike together, and you've got an already above average defender in Diogu able to develop his defense with the help of the soon to be DPOY in JO behind him. If he can knock down 3/4 13 footers a game, enough to keep the defense honest, it'll prevent teams from immediately doubling JO in the post whenever he's down there alone. And I hear his post repetoire (sp?) is pretty well rounded. So put them both on the blocks and it's pick your poison for the opponent.

Then you bring in a Murphy/Jeff 2nd unit. Jeff's enough of a defender to take whoever JO was guarding. Murphy provides much needed offense to the 2nd unit and a big body to help on the glass. I hear his rebounding numbers are inflated, but I'll take a career 8rpg alongside Jeff Foster anyday.

I wasn't the biggest fan of this trade. And I still hope we move Dunleavy with Tiinsley for a pg, some how. Jason Kidd sounds nice but New Jersey wouldn't even answer the phone for that offer. But even if this is our roster for the season, it makes us so much more balanced. I also think this is now a team Rick Carlisle can coach. He was Coach of the Year for reason. I'm excited.

Also, man Danny Granger is good. I know that was most likely his best game of the year so far, but still, the kid's awesome. And hey, Marquis Daniels at the 2 looks ok to me.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoPacer View Post
    Diogu at this point is still very much a 15mpg work in progress.

Frountcourt: O'Neal-Murphy-Granger
    Backcourt: Daniels-Tinsley

I'd give Diogu 7-8 minutes a night playing alongside Foster and O'Neal each. We need to figure out which role for him suits us best:

-Interior scorer to compensate for Foster
    -Second option to O'Neal, which would free him up for better shots. He'd also have a better defensive presence compensate for his lack of size.
    I agree.

I wonder what Ike's role will be.

I wouldn't mind Danny-Ike-JO, but I have a hunch that Rick won't like it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you