Thread: Random Thoughts on Game 3

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Random Thoughts on Game 3

- Waaaaay too many missed shots and turnovers.
    - Nobody stepped up, save maybe Tinsley.
    - FREE THROWS!!!!!
    - Why weren't we looking for Reggie or even Tins more?
    - Miami shot waaaaay better than they should have. They knocked down lots of jumpers they normally don't.
    - We can't stop Wade or Alston.
    - Odom pushes off on nearly every drive.
    - Anthony Johnson <<<<<<<<<< Kenny Anderson
    - Miami is a very tough team. I think that will pay big dividends when we face Detroit.
    - Charles Barkley = The Jinxmaster
    - This series still ends in 5. But now I may miss the clencher because of work.

sweabs

Default Re: Random Thoughts on Game 3

-JO shows no passion and is not focussed.

Southside_Pacer

Free throw shooting is what really pisses me off the most. That was obviously what we wanted to do in the fourth quarter, but if we want to get to the line we have to make free throws.

It will not make a bit of difference if we cannot make free throws on a consistant basis. Wouldn't all those points we dropped at the line really helped in the end?

John Thompson said it best in the fourth quarter when he mentioned we would rather have got to the line that scored a field goal. We weren't even looking to shoot much.

Mood

What would JO have to do to show passion to you?

I noticed that today. I couldnt tell if Odumn was pushing off, but it certainily does look like it. If I can see it, WTF cant the refs?
    There is no way you can blame this on the Refs. There were alot of bad calls against the heat too.

We got some crafty guys on the Pacers team too who do ALOT of grabbing and holding and whatnot. Ron and Reggie and AL are some of the best in the league at it.

sweabs

I don't know if passion is the right word...but it is his attitude more or less. He needs to stop complaining to the refs after every made basket of his and needs to make MUCH better decisions on the court. He has to be focussed (free throw shooting is all about focus...something JO had problems with tonight). If he wants to be considered an elite player in this league, he has to start hitting shots other than open dunks set up by Tinsley.

I noticed that today. I couldnt tell if Odumn was pushing off, but it certainily does look like it. If I can see it, WTF cant the refs?
    There is no way you can blame this on the Refs. There were alot of bad calls against the heat too.

We got some crafty guys on the Pacers team too who do ALOT of grabbing and holding and whatnot. Ron and Reggie and AL are some of the best in the league at it.
    I don't think anyone is blaming this on the refs (nobody should), but toward the end all Odom did was penetrate and pushoff and it was never called on him. Not once. It's kind of frustrating.

But there's no way we lost because of the refs tonight.

I can't question JO's passion. If he shoots 45% and 70% FTs people are all gonna gush over how he should be MVP.

He just shot bad, and has been shooting bad. I understand trying to shoot through it, but dang Reggie Miller is on the floor.

actually looking at the box score, JO did seem to shoot those numbers lol.

Before I looked at it though, it sure seemed to me like he played alot worse and missed more shots than his stats indicate. Maybe it was just those missed clutch shots that made me think he shot worse than he actually did. I came away feeling like he played a bad game though. Maybe I am wrong about it.

I don't know if passion is the right word...but it is his attitude more or less. He needs to stop complaining to the refs after every made basket of his and needs to make MUCH better decisions on the court. He has to be focussed (free throw shooting is all about focus...something JO had problems with tonight). If he wants to be considered an elite player in this league, he has to start hitting shots other than open dunks set up by Tinsley.
    Absolutely TRUE!!! Jermaine put up some decent points tonight, but I felt like he played lousy game. I kept saying your "killing us" tonight. To be elite, you need to make the big shots and he seemed to miss any and all big shots he had tonight.

Water

JO ?? Bad ???

first half : YES
    (4 - 12 from the floor 2 -6 FT)
    Second half : Crunch:
    ( 5-9 from the floor and 9 - 10 FT)

add to that 9 Reb 2 Ast and 4 Bs 0 (zero) turnovers

29 points

It might have looked bad, but it was a lot better then the first two games and nothing to be ashamed of.

Oh yeah Reg was on the floor, one exceptional game, and he has to be our #1 option, stop raving, JO is our #1, Al / Ron #2 & #3

It is the way Reggie wants it. As he said, very little opportunity, he passed the shots up because he thought it better to do so.

Bad ?

Ron 14 pts, 4 - 18 from the floor, 4 - 7 FT 6 Rb 4 Ast 3 St.

bad shooting yes!

Al 5 - 12 13 pts, 2 -4 FT 3 reb. 2 turnovers

Besides JO only Tins had good numbers, including Reggie, the remainder did not take the shot or missed it badly.

with 4 Blocks one would say that JO did something right on defense, consideringt they shot 47% that means that some other players let up badly on defense, among whom Al.

0 - 4 from Bender ?

We had two players decent - strong tonight, Tins and JO, 1 ok in crunch (Reg) and the rest ? to much time on the beach

Wake up call, is all it is, we will take the next
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Here are my random thoughts:

1) Forget about the first three and a half quarters. The Pacers had a one point lead in quarter 4.

2) Point guard defense is going to haunt Pacers rest of the playoffs. Look at the opposing point guards up and coming. Game went from close to Heat up by eight on four consecutive points by Wade blowing by Tinsley. I would have liked to see Artest on Wade. I hear all this talk about how he can guard four positions. Stop the guy who's hot. Switch whomever else over.

3) Choking under pressure. Everybody except he who didn't shoot. Tinsley had lapses on defense, a bad turnover. Oneal dropped that beautiful pass from Reggie, and then misses his last two shots including a wide open jumper. Artest couldn't hit the rim for a while. Bender can't be expected to play 100 minutes in 10 games and then suddenly hit the rim every time. Harrington seemed secretly glad to make one of two at the line.

4) Anthony Johnson. Carlisle made the decision a long time ago, and many didn't like it. Anderson got himself injured out of the team. Johnson, like Pollard, is mediocre at best. Nice missed rebound and missed layup in the final minute. And now there's the risk of Anderson being way too rusty to do much damage.

5) Carlisle. Okay, he's a good coach, and he doesn't deserve the blame, but if I'm running the show, I'm running screens for Reggie every time when he's on the floor. WHY THE HECK NOT? If he' s open, he's dangerous. If he might be open, they'll send two defenders leaving Foster open and then Oneal gets open under the basket and gets two free throws. If he's not open, then he can deliver to the post. It's called moving the ball. It's called not being lazy. I hate hate hate when the Pacers stand around and pound the ball inside. They did that last year way too much against Boston and we all know how that worked out. And WHY OH WHY, put Anthony Johnson in the game at the end? Why not Croshere? Hmmm. Think Croshere would have got that rebound? Think Croshere would have missed that layup? Think Croshere might be able to provide a spark when the Pacers need one?

6) This is still a young team, and it shows. The sad thing is, Reggie Miller is the truly special player on this team. And as far as I'm concerned, he's still the most dangerous and the most influential. Without Reggie, the Pacers have a bunch of talented players. Welcome to half the NBA. A bunch of talented players. The NBA is loaded with talent. They are not loaded with true difference makers. Reggie became a difference maker over time. Some of these young Pacers will develop into huge difference makers over time. But if he still has enough to score 19 points in eighteen minutes, and then make that three pointer fading out of bounds when they finally set a screen for him, then the problem isn't with him. People need to drop their egos and speak up. People need to suggest MORE SCREENS FOR REGGIE. People need to defer and to let him carry the team when they need him. If his days are numbered, if everyone else is throwing up bricks, why not? Reggie has always been one to defer. It's time for the others to defer to him. If he misses, so what. But if he doesn't shoot, then it will always be, What if...

I know it's only one game, but that has to be the only one like it. The Pacers can lose some, but they have to win in Miami which they should. It's not this series that concerns me, but what this game indicates for the series up ahead. This is nothing compared to what is waiting. Miami may be tough, but Miami isn't even thinking about winning the East. The team on the floor tonight does not seem like one capable of winning an NBA championship. They seem like a young team that is climbing up the ladder, but still has some ways to go. It just pains me because of what Reggie can do, and what these young guys think that they can do.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm running screens for Reggie every time when he's on the floor. WHY THE HECK NOT? If he' s open, he's dangerous. If he might be open, they'll send two defenders leaving Foster open and then Oneal gets open under the basket and gets two free throws. If he's not open, then he can deliver to the post. It's called moving the ball. It's called not being lazy. I hate hate hate when the Pacers stand around and pound the ball inside. They did that last year way too much against Boston and we all know how that worked out. And WHY OH WHY, put Anthony Johnson in the game at the end? Why not Croshere? Hmmm. Think Croshere would have got that rebound? Think Croshere would have missed that layup? Think Croshere might be able to provide a spark when the Pacers need one?
    +++++++++

I'm of a very similar mind. Get Reggie moving if for nothing other than wearing his defender down over the game. AJ is making me very nervous when he comes in now, we lose in ball movement and no longer gain his shooting. WHy not Cro?? He's a BIG PHYSICAL player who can wear down ODom and Grant even more. Oh and if Al Harrington can;t rebound, Jeff Foster can, and does. We have plenty of scorers but not enough rebounders Al.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Here are my random thoughts:

2) Point guard defense is going to haunt Pacers rest of the playoffs. Look at the opposing point guards up and coming. Game went from close to Heat up by eight on four consecutive points by Wade blowing by Tinsley. I would have liked to see Artest on Wade. I hear all this talk about how he can guard four positions. Stop the guy who's hot. Switch whomever else over.

5) Carlisle. Okay, he's a good coach, and he doesn't deserve the blame, but if I'm running the show, I'm running screens for Reggie every time when he's on the floor. WHY THE HECK NOT? If he' s open, he's dangerous. If he might be open, they'll send two defenders leaving Foster open and then Oneal gets open under the basket and gets two free throws. If he's not open, then he can deliver to the post. It's called moving the ball. It's called not being lazy. I hate hate hate when the Pacers stand around and pound the ball inside. They did that last year way too much against Boston and we all know how that worked out. And WHY OH WHY, put Anthony Johnson in the game at the end? Why not Croshere? Hmmm. Think Croshere would have got that rebound? Think Croshere would have missed that layup? Think Croshere might be able to provide a spark when the Pacers need one?

I want to comment on your two points quotes above.

2) putting Artest on Wade is a decent idea, although that is a tough cover for Ronnie, he has trouble with quick players. Freddie plays him better than anyone. But if you put Ron on Wade, then who do you put Tinsley on. Butler, no way. Jones, I don't think so because then Reggie has to play Butler.

5) next game watch how many times they do run screens for Reggie, many times it is a play to get the ball inside, but Reggie runs around screens on most plays. Last night they ran several of Reggie's pet plays abut Eddie Jones and the Heat did a great job of staying with him

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

My thoughts:

1) Carlisle did say that he needed to have used Reggie more in the end game.

2) Without having looked at the box score, it seems that Artest was much more of a liability at the FT line than JO was, especially once JO seemed to get his focus back late in the game. Either way, the end game is entirely different if we hit more than half of the free throws.

3) We expected to lose one in this series. As Kravitz said, the closest thing to a sure bet is the home team in game 3 when down 2-0.

4) We were in the game the entire time until the score got away from us in the last seconds due to foulfest. Compare that to the Spurs and the Pistons, who both got pasted in their game threes.

5) I'm still feeling pretty optimistic - I think the first quarter Wednesday night is going to be the telltale.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh