Thread: Does this trade signal the death knell of the up-tempo, athletic team approach?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Does this trade signal the death knell of the up-tempo, athletic team approach?

Granted, it really wasn't working anyway, but Murphy and Dunleavy aren't exactly known for their athleticism.

What style is this new Pacers team going to play?

Default Re: Does this trade signal the death knell of the up-tempo, athletic team approach?

Rick said on his show it wouldn't be, but with a surplus of front court players and a dearth of wings, it's got to.

As Jay has said, it'll be interesting to see if Dun can play point-forward. I think Rick will go back to his comfort zone (ie his card) at least until he gets a feel for guys. By then we may have another trade in the offing.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Does this trade signal the death knell of the up-tempo, athletic team approach?

JO gonna put up a whole bunch of 30 point games in the next few weeks.

If anything this increases our ability to be up-tempo.

At the news conference Bird said he wanted to be able to play both ways, up tempo, and half court. Carlisle said on his show that this trade should help the flow, both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything this increases our ability to be up-tempo.
    Agreed. We'll never have to see Al and Jack on the fastbreak again.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think that Bird hit it right on when he said we couldn't rebound. That is something Al doesn't do well as a 4. Murphy will help us out with that and I think Ike and Mike can too.

So it looks like at the beginning we will have Tinsley, Granger, Dunleavy, O'Neal, and Murphy as the starters. Marquis and Jeff as the key reserves should give us a spark off the bench or we could switch Troy and Jeff but I think Troy is better as a starter. JMO though.

I think this team is much more unselfish. I think that two of our weaknesses were rebounding and versatility. We had a lot of guys who needed the ball to be effective. Jermaine, Al, Stephen, and Jamaal. Now with Troy and Mike I don't think they need the ball as much as Al or Stephen.

I think that if we had a scoring point guard we would have a lineup that could really compete in the East. Right now though I think that is what this team is lacking, a second scoring opition to complament Jermaine.

I question if they know what they are doing in a way. Trading up for James White, then to cut him to make room for Josh Powell. Signing and trading for Al inexchange for a draft pick in a predicted to be deep draft just to trade Al half a season later. On the other hand I love how they aren't screwing around. Larry saw that we couldn't rebound and he went out and made a move that should fix it. Him and Donnie saw that this team wasn't really built to complament Jermaine so they made a major roster shakeup to try and fix it.

I really think that if we had a legit second scorer that we would contend in the East. This move was a step in the right direction IMO.

Pacers Need A Better GM. !Pacers-Fan!'s Avatar

were DONE...Forget the playoffs this year...

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    I think that Bird hit it right on when he said we couldn't rebound. That is something Al doesn't do well as a 4. Murphy will help us out with that and I think Ike and Mike can too.

So it looks like at the beginning we will have Tinsley, Granger, Dunleavy, O'Neal, and Murphy as the starters. Marquis and Jeff as the key reserves should give us a spark off the bench or we could switch Troy and Jeff but I think Troy is better as a starter. JMO though.

I think this team is much more unselfish. I think that two of our weaknesses were rebounding and versatility. We had a lot of guys who needed the ball to be effective. Jermaine, Al, Stephen, and Jamaal. Now with Troy and Mike I don't think they need the ball as much as Al or Stephen.

I think that if we had a scoring point guard we would have a lineup that could really compete in the East. Right now though I think that is what this team is lacking, a second scoring opition to complament Jermaine.

I question if they know what they are doing in a way. Trading up for James White, then to cut him to make room for Josh Powell. Signing and trading for Al inexchange for a draft pick in a predicted to be deep draft just to trade Al half a season later. On the other hand I love how they aren't screwing around. Larry saw that we couldn't rebound and he went out and made a move that should fix it. Him and Donnie saw that this team wasn't really built to complament Jermaine so they made a major roster shakeup to try and fix it.

I really think that if we had a legit second scorer that we would contend in the East. This move was a step in the right direction IMO.
    You make several good points. Very good post.

I have some issues with this trade, but I like the unselfishness this will bring. What a pleasant change. GS will need 2 or 3 basketballs on the floor to satisfy Richardson, Davis, Jack, Al and Ellis. Poor Sarunas.

BTW, it was easy to see that Al and Jack were not a good fit for the team. I knew the Al, JO, Granger backcourt had no chance....and everyone knew Jack's time was short. I bet they had a Jack going away party, without inviting him.

I think the next move has to be Tinsley and a front court player for an upgrade at PG. It's just a matter of time.

...and yes, this trade shows us that TPTB don't really know what they are doing. You might be able to point to good things about the trade, but you cannot deny they abandoned their original plan. I think now they are going back to a more traditional game plan with JO in the post...more ball movement...things they should have done in the first place.

Now, the BIG problem will be defense.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pacers-Fan! View Post
    were DONE...Forget the playoffs this year...
    I'm not sure about the trade, but that's just wrong. As long as we have JO, Foster and Granger and some compliments, we make the playoffs.