Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Webber is a Piston

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Chris Webber is a Piston

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...e=NBAHeadlines

So, what do you all think about this? Does this make Detroit better? Worse? About the same?

The Future Is Bright JB's Breakout Year's Avatar

Default Re: Chris Webber is a Piston

Could be I'm underestimating the guy, but from what I've seen of him lately, he's a shell of his former self. He seems to be playing on one leg.

And it's not like he was ever a big-game player. O-ver-ra-ted....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Webber is a guy that can't get up and down the floor anymore. There's no doubt about that.

However, he still retains all his skills in the halfcourt. The passing, the rbounding, th ability to put the ball on the floor at 6'10".

Put him on a good halfcourt team, and he can still be effective, IMO.

How will it work out? We'll see. Could mean a title, could mean a first-round exit.

All I know is this is going to be fun. My childhood hero is a Piston. Wow.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Seems kinda silly to me. They already have Maxiel, who's a hoss, Amir, McDyess, Rasheed and Nazr crowding up the Piston's front court, while they've got a weak backcourt. If they move Nazr or Dale for legit backcourt help, then I say it's a good move.

I think Chris will play motivated in Detroit, despite how truly faded his skills are. One thing that strikes me is that it kinda skews their front court, if they move Dale or Nazr. Then you have a bunch of mid-range jump shooters manning the post, casue you have to think Webber's minutes will eat into what little AMir or Maxiel can get.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Meh, just make sure he knows how many timeouts the team has.

Amir wasn't going to play this year regardless.

Maxiell will still likely get his 8-10 minutes.

The guy this hurts is nazr, and we can deal him. If that doesn't work, Dale has a nice contract too. If that fails, Dice is also in a contract year. There really isnt a guy we'll have problems moving.

As for Joe Dumars, he's GOING to make another move. As you said, we now have too many good big men. He's looking at Bonzi Wells and MoPete, but if that doesnt work I think he'll find someone else.

This current pistons team isnt the same one that will finish the season, even with Webber. That's a lock.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Here's the thing: if he's willing to accept a role with limited minutes, and oesn't totally screw up their D, it's an OK move, particularly if it frees them up to make another move.

But I'm worried the Pistons have become a much, much worse defensive team for the 10-20 minutes he's on the floor. They don't have Wallace to mop up his mistakes anymore.

Also, I love this: they're also getting Marko Jaric, apparently.

Detroit Pistons, worst defensive team in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

But I'm worried the Pistons have become a much, much worse defensive team for the 10-20 minutes he's on the floor. They don't have Wallace to mop up his mistakes anymore.
    Actually, they do.

and BTW, the Pistons are 4th in the NBA in defensive FG% and 6th in points allowed. The idea that they can't play defense anymore is silly.

Is webber a weak defender? Yes. But (A) we're playing him at center, where his mobility will be less of an issue, and (B) Rasheed Wallace is still a premier help-side shot blocker.

Don't think Joe hasn't thought this over.

As for Jaric, I hope we don't get him, but it's not like he can be any worse than the backup PGs we have right now.

Also, I love this: they're also getting Marko Jaric, apparently.

Detroit Pistons, worst defensive team in the NBA.
    Jaric can actually play defense and you apparently have not seen him play.

Mood

I think the biggest thing is the versatility it will afford the Pistons from the power forward spot. Just when you get used to guarding Rasheed outside and McDyess inside, they bring in Webber who can dissect a defense from the post with his still incredible passing. There are lots of guards that would LOVE to have Webber's knack for making the right pass at the right time. That skill won't diminish nearly as much as his other skills will. In short, I think it's a big move for the Pistons. Maybe not a championship move but this makes them better and they already had as good a shot as any of coming out of the East.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I think the biggest thing is the versatility it will afford the Pistons from the power forward spot.
    Webber will be our starting center.

. Just when you get used to guarding Rasheed outside and McDyess inside, they bring in Webber who can dissect a defense from the post with his still incredible passing.
    I agree with that. He can still pass as well as any big man in the NBA.

There are lots of guards that would LOVE to have Webber's knack for making the right pass at the right time.

That skill won't diminish nearly as much as his other skills will. In short, I think it's a big move for the Pistons. Maybe not a championship move but this makes them better and they already had as good a shot as any of coming out of the East
    Agreed once again. It doesnt guarentee us anything, but you can't say we're not better with him.

Adding him for peanuts is going to help them out. I'm not sure how much.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Webber will be our starting center.
    That's even better then. So versatility out of the frontcourt in general rather than just the PF spot. That means theat you have to account for three frontcourt players with vastly different, and possibly even complimentary styles. Not an easy thing to do. So you have to account for Webber's passing out to Rasheed, and then account for Tayshaun's hustle plays on the rare occasion that Webber makes a bad pass. I think it's really hard to argue that this isn't a good move for Detroit.

The Pistons defense will suffer with him on the floor. But they'll be better offensively - so who knows if the Pistons will be better overall. C. Webb still has the best hands in the NBA.

Clearly however, this is not like 2004 when Sheed was added.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    That's even better then. So versatility out of the frontcourt in general rather than just the PF spot. That means theat you have to account for three frontcourt players with vastly different, and possibly even complimentary styles. Not an easy thing to do. So you have to account for Webber's passing out to Rasheed, and then account for Tayshaun's hustle plays on the rare occasion that Webber makes a bad pass. I think it's really hard to argue that this isn't a good move for Detroit.
    Well, the idea is that defensively he'll be less likely to be out-quicked, and offensively he'll be able to out the ball on the floor against slower players.

It's really the passing possiblities that make me the most excited. Both Webber and Sheed can pass extremely well for big men. We can do a lot more back-door cuting and high post action with both guys on the floor.

Banned

Great news for the Pacers. C-Webb has about a 5:1 negative/positive ratio at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    C. Webb still has the best hands in the NBA.
    Exactly. You never lose things like this. You also don't lose things like being able to hold the ball at the elbow and pick apart the interior defense with crisp passes. Him setting that mid-range screen for Rip is going to be scary. Either Rip will be open for his patented 8-foot shot off the curl or Webber will open up off the screen and face up from 15 feet. Either way, the defense is on its heels.

This is a very good move for Detroit, IMO.

You can argue about the defense if you want, but Billups, Rip, Tayshaun, Sheed and CWebb all on the court is pretty damn tough to stop from scoring. Not to mention the fact that they probably have the best shooting front court in the League. When Sheed is raining from the outside and CWebb is hitting his 18-footers, the paint is going to be WIDE OPEN for Chauncey and Rip.

This is not helpful for us.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I doubt that Mr. Timeout will add too much for them. Dale Davis, even if he's a grey beard, makes a better C than C-Webb. C-Webb is soft and a poor defender...and is having the worst year of his career this year on offense.

He also disrupts your team with injuries. He has only played a couple full seasons in the 21st century.

I could see him coming in as a backup PF with Sheed moving to C, but isn't that McDyess's role? I don't think Webber is an upgrade over McDyess.

I think the Pistons know they need some help at C, but C-Webb is not the answer.

BTW, I think Dumars was fortunate with the Sheed trade and has been making questionable decisions ever since. Nazr has been a crash and burn. Giving up on Darko, who is still only 21 yo, was a mistake. Letting Ben Wallace get away was enormous. Not saying the Pacers have made good moves, but Dumars is not the GM-god some thought he was a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
    Jaric can actually play defense and you apparently have not seen him play.
    I have seen him play, and Jaric perhaps can play defense, but apparently hasn't been in the mood for several years now. Seriously, though, as many match-up problems as he creates on the offensive end with his size, he has horrible problems with smaller, quicker guards. Hopefully Flip can figure out a way to use him and match him up correctly.

And, Kstat, how many centers in the East can Webber guard?
    Cavs: Webber would struggle with Ilgauskas, but they run small and mobile these days anyway.
    Bulls: Ben and PJ aren't a problem on offense per se, but they are going to get a lot of offensive rebounds.
    Miami: Webber can't guard Shaq.
    Orlando: Dwight Howard? No way.
    Indiana: He can't guard JO when JO and Al are the frontcourt.

So that's 4 of the top 5 teams in the East where he would be a severe defensive liability, and his footwork has declined so much that he's an awful liability on the defensive boards.
    The 76ers, of all teams, benched him, and they did it for a reason.

Pistons will be significantly worse on defense when he's in the game. Hopefully the bump he provides for the offense is worth it. But in my opinion it won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Exactly. You never lose things like this. You also don't lose things like being able to hold the ball at the elbow and pick apart the interior defense with crisp passes. Him setting that mid-range screen for Rip is going to be scary. Either Rip will be open for his patented 8-foot shot off the curl or Webber will open up off the screen and face up from 15 feet. Either way, the defense is on its heels.

This is a very good move for Detroit, IMO.

You can argue about the defense if you want, but Billups, Rip, Tayshaun, Sheed and CWebb all on the court is pretty damn tough to stop from scoring. Not to mention the fact that they probably have the best shooting front court in the League. When Sheed is raining from the outside and CWebb is hitting his 18-footers, the paint is going to be WIDE OPEN for Chauncey and Rip.

This is not helpful for us.
    I don't see their offense being any better than when McDyess is in there, particularly at this stage of Webber's career. Dice can spot up from 15 ft as well. 5 or 6 years ago, it would probably be pretty brutal. Right now, C-Webb is shooting under 40% from the floor as his ppg is dropping precipitously. He is an old 34 yo.

Now, Maxiell could be a good one...but he is not the answer for the C position either.

Miami: Webber can't guard Shaq.
    Orlando: Dwight Howard? No way.
    Nazr will have to play more against these guys. But every team in the League struggles against these two and Yao regardless

Indiana: He can't guard JO when JO and Al are the frontcourt.
    Sheed can check JO, Tayshaun on Al and CWebb on Foster
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

so what's the next move for them?
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Bulldog where did you read about them getting Jaric? Why would they trade for that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Nazr will have to play more against these guys. But every team in the League struggles against these two and Yao regardless
    Sheed can check JO, Tayshaun on Al and CWebb on Foster
    We could just run JO, Al, Granger. Then Webb doesn't play. And apparently they're looking to trade Nazr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    Bulldog where did you read about them getting Jaric? Why would they trade for that contract.
    It's in the ESPN article.

Nazr and Jaric both have the MLE deals. So if they deal Nazr, Jaric is a natural candidate.