Thread: Colts Keys to Victory

Hybrid View

Default Colts Keys to Victory

Just my thoughts:

1. Mental toughness. That's really what Indiana sports teams have lacked since the '87 Hoosiers. (That, and a real, burning desire to win - but I've got no doubt the Colts have that). If they end up struggling out of the gate, get behind, throw some interceptions, give up a big play, have a miracle bounce go New England's way, Vinatieri misses a chip shot, Peyton's under lots of pressure, etc. will they have the mental toughness not to let it get to them and keep playing their game? That's the key because past playoffs Peyton & Co. have gotten rattled when things didn't go well. Regardless of what the pundits might say, the onus is clearly on the Colts here. The Patriots have nothing to prove. They are merely playing for ring #4. The Colts are the ones with the monkey on their back, the QB that couldn't win the big one, etc. I was very pleased to see that the defense held up well in Baltimore, even when everything wasn't going perfect.

This is the one huge difference in the team this year that makes me think they've got a chance. The D stepped it up when they had to and the team found a way to win with Peyton struggling in the playoffs. I believe that can do wonders for Peyton's confidence and the team's overall poise.

2. Get off to a good start. Of course it is always better if you don't need to tap into the mental toughness reserve. If the Colts start out with a good defensive stand, a nice drive, and get the lead, things will be much better. Though never count Brady and the Pats out.

3. Score 29 or more points. The Colts D has long been suspect, but it is usually their offense that flames out in the playoffs. How many of those playoff losses were 34-33? There's no reason that an offense with this many weapons shouldn't be able to put up four touchdowns in a game. Add an extra point on top for safety. If the offense scores 21 points or less, I think that puts a lot of pressure on the D.

4. Be ready for the new wrinkle - and be ready with one of your own. One thing that Pittsburgh amply showed the Colts last year is that the good teams save something for the playoffs. As brichard once put it, Bill Cowher has the play he's saving for the second half of third playoff game. The Colts usually show you everything they have in the regular season. It should come as no surprise other teams are ready for it. It doesn't have to be a trick play, but some new wrinkles, both before and after halftime, would be most welcome.

Those are some items I have off the top of my head. Of course it would help if the defense played well again this week too, but that's obvious. You always want the defense to play well.

Default Re: Colts Keys to Victory

Here's a simple one. Our crowd must put pressure on the zebras. Call it unfair, but make them think twice about throwing that flag for holding on Tarik.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Uhhhh - regarding #1. That would the apocolypse for any team. Sheesh - talk about an overwhelming tsunami.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uhhhh - regarding #1. That would the apocolypse for any team. Sheesh - talk about an overwhelming tsunami.
    I wasn't suggesting all of those things occur at the same time. Only that something happens early in the game that makes the Colts go "Oh, no, not again". Not getting rattled by that but continuing to execute the Colts game is key here.

Quote Originally Posted by arenn View Post
    I wasn't suggesting all of those things occur at the same time. Only that something happens early in the game that makes the Colts go "Oh, no, not again". Not getting rattled by that but continuing to execute the Colts game is key here.

One thing I loved that we ran against Baltimore was the flea flicker. It got Marvin Harrison way open and gave the defense something new to think about. With their speed, I wouldn't have tried it against Baltimore, but how about a reverse? Or a kickoff return where you pass to the back on the other side of the field? How often do we run the screen? We always have good results with that shovel pass.

We can't rely on smoke and mirrors too much, we just need to keep them guessing. Our reliance on the run has been a new wrinkle in the post season, and I still think Addai can be that "X" factor in games. I'm not sure we have fully exploited the ability of Reggie Wayne. You want to use Marvin as well, but Waynes speed and height make him a nightmare for opposing teams to cover.

We have proven that we can score on this team in the regular season, we will just have to see if we can do it in the playoffs. Mental toughness and patience are key. And Dungy has to be able to make half time adjustments if things aren't going to plan.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    One thing I loved that we ran against Baltimore was the flea flicker. It got Marvin Harrison way open and gave the defense something new to think about. With their speed, I wouldn't have tried it against Baltimore, but how about a reverse? Or a kickoff return where you pass to the back on the other side of the field? How often do we run the screen? We always have good results with that shovel pass.

We can't rely on smoke and mirrors too much, we just need to keep them guessing. Our reliance on the run has been a new wrinkle in the post season, and I still think Addai can be that "X" factor in games. I'm not sure we have fully exploited the ability of Reggie Wayne. You want to use Marvin as well, but Waynes speed and height make him a nightmare for opposing teams to cover.

We have proven that we can score on this team in the regular season, we will just have to see if we can do it in the playoffs. Mental toughness and patience are key. And Dungy has to be able to make half time adjustments if things aren't going to plan.
    Too often, and we suck at it. Maybe if we were good at it (and you think we would be with running the stretch so often) I'd like it more, but the screen is one of the few ineffective playse we continue to run.

I'll add this - if you get ahead, don't change your game plan. The Pats are the masters at waiting a team out. SD wins that game if they just keep handing the ball to LT. For some reason they didn't.

If Indy gets up, keep doing what got you there. Don't suck back, get a couple of 3-and-outs and let 'em back in.

Really this game is all about who executes better. Teams are very evenly matched though I think Indy has the edge if the D hasn't been just teasing the last 2 weeks.

Can't wait until Simmons starts writing - should be some good Sports Guy columns coming up.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

We try one once a game at least, it's normally early and it never seems to work. Unless I'm going crazy. I hate when we run the screen, so we must run it sometimes. I do think the WR screen we run to Reggie sometimes is at least marginally effective.

Mood

Yeah, WR screens with Reggie are usually good for a first down at least. Remember the playoff game against Denver a couple years back, when Reggie took a WR screen to the house because he had three or four great first level blocks, and Marvin PUNKED Chump Bailey around the five? I like the WR screens we run because I think Reggie is the perfect WR for it. Our RB screens....not so much...

My "key to victory" this week has two parts. First is to get an early lead. Easier said than done, but I think it's imparitive. Second, when coming from behind teams tend to pass more, which obviously makes DFree happy. If we can get pressure on Brady, he will make mistakes. We have done it to him in the last two games we've played, and the Chargers did it last week. Believe me, if Brady gets flustered, he'll make a couple bad throws and our defense capatalizes on those--and Nick Harper isn't going to fumble an INT away...

As always though, I think it really comes down to whoever can score more points will win.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake