Thread: CPU Question

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default CPU Question

Alright guys, I used to be up on the latest technologies but life has gotten rather busy the past two years and I'm basically eating the dust of the technology.

Here is my question. Right now I have a Pentium 4 2.0 GHZ CPU and I'd like to upgrade it to something good. I heard about Core Duo or something similar as it is being one of the best series these days. If so, which one is better than my 2.0GHZ as the specs are written rather differently.

Also what motherboard would be good for this particular CPU?

any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: CPU Question

it all depens no prices and what you can afford.

Best procs atm are the Intel Core 2 Duo, no doubt abuot it, even the cheapest one will outperform your current cpu by about 20 times.

Board/cpu need to fit, bransd to go for if you have the money Intel, Asus, otherwise ASRock (Intel kid) will do nicely

Make sure it has PCI-Express, because a graph card on that is far superior to AGP.

the more you spend, the better it gets.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

The amd fx-60 dual processor is the best bang for the buck, and the asus a8n sli premium is a really good mb. Around $600 you got yerself a mighty fast puter. Throw in one of those geforce 8800gtx and a couple gig of ram and youll be able to play any game on max settings max reso for the next couple years.

hmm after looking around the fx-74 is super cheap too. that is probably even better bang for the buck.

I don't know about SLi being "far superior" to AGP, at least not yet, but it's certainly a smart buy, because AGP is like VHS when DVD came out.

As for the proccessor, I'm a big fan of AMD, but you can't beat the Core 2 Duo right now. Motherboard is secondary. Pick one you can afford that has the features you need. Reviews are nice, but really the effect on performance between top of the line and bargain basement seems to be ~5%. You might notice it if you're playing FPS at max resolution all the time, but if you're using the comp to open Word or Quickbooks, I doubt you'll notice the difference.

I'm assuming you mean pci-e when you say sli eindar

I don't think it's a good idea to plan any new system around a agp card anymore. pci-e (and pci-e2) are the future and you can find cheap, entrylevel cards in the pci-e shape more and more often.

AMD (Always dies Month after warranteD) is something you should avoid, Intel at this moment is in the fast lane, AMD trying to catchup but hs nothing lined up as yet to "beat" the Core 2 duo (reason Intel speeded up the release)

AGP is last years' wine.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

In general, I love AMD. They've always been good to me... I've got a bunch of old AMD processors in the basement that I haven't thrown away because they still work great.

But if I built a machine right now, it would be Core 2 Duo. Like able said, it's just way ahead.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'll let you guys know when one of my AMD CPU's dies (overclocked or not).... but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting if I was you.

Here's a link to some comparisons:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

I'd let budget vs speed be my guide and not worry about whether it was AMD or Intel.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden