Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, he is a GF

6 75.00%
  • no, I don't think so

2 25.00%

Thread: new KL position change vote Jason Kapono F to GF

Default new KL position change vote Jason Kapono F to GF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The site lists him as a GF and so that's what I thought he would be, but I'm not allowed to put him at G.

ESPN also lists him at GF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...e?statsId=3734

He began to get minutes as replacement for the injured Dwayne Wade, starting at SG. Then Wade returned and he bumped out Dorrell Wright at starting SF. Strictly a perimeter player.

some stories on him playing both spots:

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/fba/pla...e?statsId=2010

Default Re: new KL position change vote Jason Kapono F to GF

Sorry Tom but I don't get Insider - you may want to copy/paste.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Oct 24-
    Kapono will serve as the primary backup to Dwyane Wade at shooting guard to start the season, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports.

In addition to seeing a few minutes at small forward each night, Kapono figures to see around 10-15 minutes on the floor backing up Wade. That figure could increase depending on the effectiveness of the point guards behind Gary Payton. Kapono has shown plenty of offensive ability including a strong percentage behind the three-point line, but it's his improved defense that opened the door for more playing time.

Nov. 24-
    Heat coach Pat Riley shook up his starting lineup Friday night and inserted Kapono into the starting lineup in place of Antoine Walker.

Kapono scored 15 points on 6-of-10 shooting with four rebounds in 32 minutes in a loss to the Magic. There was no word on whether the move is a permanent one, but the fact that Miami wasn't blown out in a game bodes well.

Dec 15-
    Kapono started in place of Dwyane Wade (wisdom teeth) again on Friday in Miami's loss to Washington.

This was Kapono's second consecutive start in place of Wade. He scored five points on 2-of-8 shooting in 15 minutes. Wade is not expected to miss much more time, and could return Saturday night against the Grizzlies.

Dec 23-
    Kapono scored a career-high 27 points (3-for-8 on 3-pointers) in Saturday's win over Golden State.

Kapono got the start at small forward over Dorell Wright. Kapono entered the night averaging 6.8 points per game but could be a decent source for three-pointers if he continues to play starter's minutes.

Jan 8-
    Even with Dwyane Wade returning to the Heat lineup on Sunday, Kapono started at small forward and scored 19 points on of 8-of-13 shooting (3-of-7 treys).

Interim coach Ron Rothstein said that Kapono has simply outplayed Dorell Wright of late, and that Wright isn't being punished. Kapono currently leads the NBA in three-point shooting at .539 percent.

crap- I should have made it a public poll.

please everyone identify your vote.

sorry about that.

Good enough for me - thanks.

I voted yes

yhmm sorry tom, but he has replaced Wade a couple of times, and for the rest is starting at (S)F

I see no real reason for the change.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll vote yes.

I'm not trying to be difficult but the evidence you've presented in two starts at SG when Wade was injured, which he now isn't and one site listing him as GF? I want to give it to you, but a source citing him playing SG for two games and that's it? I can't see it. A ton of other players should be multipositional if we use that critirea.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Scott, I understand the skepticism and I am OK with a no vote. But to clarify, he is listed as a GF or a SG at:

espn.com
    nba.com
    foxsports.com
    cnnnsi.com
    hoopshype.com

Wade has missed 7 games, with Kapono starting in his place 3 times (Posey and Wright got the other starts). In at least three other games Kapono started at SG with Wade at PG and Wright at SF, due to injuries to Payton, injuries to Jason Williams, and the mandate by Riley that Jay-Will never play the second game of back-to-backs. In the past 5 games Kapono has started at SF. Thus he has 11 starts on the season, 5 at SF and 6 at SG. The near future seems to be starting SF for him until Wright gets his mojo back.

When everyone is healthy, based upon who is playing productively, Posey, Wright, and Kapono share the starting SF, backup SF, and backup SG positions based upon the team’s need for offense or defense. It’s hard to define his position when he is paired with Posey or Wright. He guards the weaker scorer and on offense he plays on the wing.

My original post cites the articles describing him as the injury replacement at SG for Wade, recently the starter for a slumping Dorrell Wright at SF, and also the insider article calling him the primary backup at SG at the beginning of the season.

I am aware that he plays much of his time at SF, but with Wade playing more and more PG due to the limitations on minutes for both Payton and Jay-Will, more minutes at SG are needed than one would expect from looking at Wade’s minutes played. I’d guess his minutes at 60-40 or at worst 70/30 SF/SG.

Chnage my vote to YES!! I think that gives you enough votes to pass. Just based on what you wrote, I ddn't see it. I started to look for validation myself, but then i thought, "he's not my player. Why am I doing this?" From what you presented, it didn't strike me as much of a case, but NOW that you've backed up it up, a whole-hearted "yes"!

And on a side note, I am the only one getting a little peeved that with a league as full as ours, hardly anyone shows up for votes or to even interact with the other owners?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

with the evidence presented, change me to a yes to.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

yes
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

i voted yes yesterday. woo.

He's been changed.

I'll try to keep him a little while.