Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NBA Official Suspended 3 games for flipping off a fan

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...d_three_games/

(NOTE: LIFTED FROM REALGM)

NBA official suspended for gesture, language
    January 12, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- NBA official Rodney Mott was suspended three games without pay Friday for making an obscene gesture toward a fan and also using inappropriate language.

Mott made the gesture and remarks after the Portland Trail Blazers' 93-90 loss to the Miami Heat on Sunday night in Portland.

The 49-year-old Mott is in his ninth season as an NBA official.

Now, can we get whatever official was in Novitski jock tonight suspended too?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: NBA Official Suspended 3 games for flipping off a fan

True class of the NBA refs, they are garbage. They are told by David Stern what to do and whats best for NBA ratings, the WORST refs in professional sports, bar none. No refs anywhere take over games like they do. In a few years its just gonna be free throw shooting contests, not NBA games. 15 guys show up and shoot freethrows against each other.

I would rather see a ref suspended for a poor game than flipping off a fan. I can understand the latter but if you are an nba ref you should at least be able to do a decent job.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NBA refs are terrible.

Like Dat Dude said, they take over the game, then at the end when their is a legit foul that might decide the game, they let the players play on....

Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True class of the NBA refs, they are garbage. They are told by David Stern what to do and whats best for NBA ratings, the WORST refs in professional sports, bar none. No refs anywhere take over games like they do. In a few years its just gonna be free throw shooting contests, not NBA games. 15 guys show up and shoot freethrows against each other.
    Your statement is a little off, IMHO

Next thing you're going to tell me that the league is as rigged as pro wrestling. Granted, I thought the officiating tonight was...well....."sorry-***" to say the least, but for the most part the officiating is usually bad on both sides of the ball. Tonight, I thought the calls were rather one sided. Hey, it happens!

My disagreement with your tired tirade is this, "Officials are told by David Stern what to do and whats best for NBA ratings" or in short..."The league is fixed by it's officials" come on, even in the slightest, that is fraud in the worst sense and the G men would be wanting to take a hard corp look into what's going on.

One thing I've learned about people in my 33 years...they don't like to keep secrets. Hell, we have a president that couldn't keep a ...(well, you know what I'm saying) quiet. What makes you think a large group of people that might have an axe to grind with the NBA would manage to keep a secret that could bring down a whole organization.

If you take the officials retired and active since the time Stern has been commissioner, there has not been a single one to say that the league is FIXED. On top of that, there are plenty of disgruntled former NBA officials out there. Do you remember the airline ticket scandle? The NBA Fired many veteran and young officials that year, but only brought a few back. Don't you think for a second that the refs that were not brought back wouldn't have an axe to grind?!? We should know by latest history that when people have an axe to grind...a tell-all book is usually the first thing to appear. Confidentiallity agreement or not, these things always seem to have a way of being leaked.

In my over 25 years of watching NBA basketball...I have yet to see or hear anything of the like. The closest thing that I ever heard of anything was Jake O'donnells pure hatred for Clyde Drexler. That came out well after he was finished officiating. By the way, the NBA fired him and he was one of the leagues A listers when it came to officials.

I just wish people would just grow up and drop this, "the league is fixed" crap, because that is all it is...Crap!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

As for the official that lost it towards the fans...only being suspended for 3 days is nothing but a slap on the wrist. In my mind, the very first thing an official needs to have is Thick Skin. If this is something that an official doesn't have...He has no business officiating my 5 year old daugters YWCA basketball league.

To me, getting into it with a fan is inexcusable because as an NBA official, he has the ULTIMATE HAMMER. He can have a fan removed from the building, or relocated in the building by means of security. Just ask Jimmy Buffett.

Fair or not, I feel that an NBA official should be held to a higher standard then any player when it comes to dealing with fans. Rodney Mott should not see an NBA court until well after the All-Star Break. This behavior is just inexcusable for an official in any high exposure or major league sport.

He's lucky he didn't get fired on the spot.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    The zebras as a whole do a pretty decent job of refereeing. The athletes, now days, are just so big and fast and they are bound to miss some calls.

The refs can definitely set the tone as to how the game will be played. They can choose to let 'em play or call it close. This can favor one team by fitting into their style of play and may look as if the refs are biased. A couple of quick whistles in the first quarter and your star player is relegated to the bench for almost the entire first half.

I think most fans and players get upset when the refs are not consistent. Last night's game had a great example, calling a phantom foul on JO and letting Granger get mauled. If you're going to call them close then do it for both teams.

I've often wondered if the refs are swayed a tad by who is playing and who they think Stern would like to see win. I'll stop short of calling it a conspiracy. Maybe, the refs do it subconsciously, but it seems to happen.

Sometimes, it's extremely difficult for the refs. I really enjoy watching two of the top teams play, then after-wards listen to the coaches and fans of both teams say how they got screwed by the zebras. Sometimes, the coaches have diametrically opposed opinions of the refs. You'd think that they were involved with two different games.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Your statement is a little off, IMHO

Next thing you're going to tell me that the league is as rigged as pro wrestling. Granted, I thought the officiating tonight was...well....."sorry-***" to say the least, but for the most part the officiating is usually bad on both sides of the ball. Tonight, I thought the calls were rather one sided. Hey, it happens!

My disagreement with your tired tirade is this, "Officials are told by David Stern what to do and whats best for NBA ratings" or in short..."The league is fixed by it's officials" come on, even in the slightest, that is fraud in the worst sense and the G men would be wanting to take a hard corp look into what's going on.

One thing I've learned about people in my 33 years...they don't like to keep secrets. Hell, we have a president that couldn't keep a ...(well, you know what I'm saying) quiet. What makes you think a large group of people that might have an axe to grind with the NBA would manage to keep a secret that could bring down a whole organization.

If you take the officials retired and active since the time Stern has been commissioner, there has not been a single one to say that the league is FIXED. On top of that, there are plenty of disgruntled former NBA officials out there. Do you remember the airline ticket scandle? The NBA Fired many veteran and young officials that year, but only brought a few back. Don't you think for a second that the refs that were not brought back wouldn't have an axe to grind?!? We should know by latest history that when people have an axe to grind...a tell-all book is usually the first thing to appear. Confidentiallity agreement or not, these things always seem to have a way of being leaked.

In my over 25 years of watching NBA basketball...I have yet to see or hear anything of the like. The closest thing that I ever heard of anything was Jake O'donnells pure hatred for Clyde Drexler. That came out well after he was finished officiating. By the way, the NBA fired him and he was one of the leagues A listers when it came to officials.

I just wish people would just grow up and drop this, "the league is fixed" crap, because that is all it is...Crap!
    I made a post similar to this a few years back at another forum, but I agree with you 110%.

The only part I don’t agree with it the whole “There is no way in hell there is not a scandal”.

Putting aside the fact that a few refs may have been paid off by one players (which I am not saying has happened but you wouldn’t have to color me shocked if it ever came out that happened) do you really think these refs don’t have personal preferences? You think they don’t have players they like/dislike more then others.

I present to you exhibit “A”, David Harrison