Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

  1. #1

    Default Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    I really liked this signing over the summer. I like OG. He is probably the best defender we have at the point and I think he can be a solid playmaker in the near future.

    However we haven't seen much of him. I haven't seen many games. I think he was injured before but i'm not for sure.

    I'd really like to give him some big minutes here for a few games and see what he has. We aren't really going anywhere. We just now won 3 games in a row.

    I know it's not good to mess up your rotation but i'd just really like to see what this guy can do when given serious minutes. You can't judge a player in less than 4 minutes a game IMO.

  2. #2
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Yeah, Orien needs extended time, at least quite a bit more than what he has seen thus far. His consistently solid defense would be a nice addition, and even though he is fairly limited offensively, he can distribute the ball adequately.

  3. #3
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Yes he does. I dont understand why Rick doesnt go to him when we need some defense and a PG is killing us. Yesterday for example, Bassy was killing Tins, and Rick pulls Tins out and puts in Saras who proceeds to get killed by Bassy and Rondo.

    He should be our back up PG, but whatever you know Rick aint gonna play no young guys no matter how they play.

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,741

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    I wish we'd signed Snap Hunter instead. Dude could at least advance the ball.

    Greene's only getting minutes with another point guard, because he didn't look good running the show. If he's going to play off guard, I'd rather Rawle get the minutes.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish we'd signed Snap Hunter instead. Dude could at least advance the ball.

    Greene's only getting minutes with another point guard, because he didn't look good running the show. If he's going to play off guard, I'd rather Rawle get the minutes.
    What are you talking about? When didnt Orien get the ball over half court? The 3-4 minutes he has playes, he is always the point guard, everytime. You must be seeing things.

  6. #6
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,458

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    In the D-League.

    Oh? That's one of those unnecessary one-liners you say?
    Fine. Let me expand just a little: the dude's okay, but he doesn't deserve minutes over Tinsley, Sarunas or Armstrong because he doesn't add anything but defense. Check out his three-pointers - we need to stretch the defense for guys like JO'Neal and Jackson, and to a lesser degree Mr. 3pt himself, Al Harrington, and I'm not so sure Oriene Greene can do that. Now, add those deficiencies with Foster's offensive "touch" and I think we have a recipe for disaster that even Rachel Ray couldn't duplicate. Emeril maybe. Julia Child, probably.

  7. #7
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the D-League.

    Oh? That's one of those unnecessary one-liners you say?
    Fine. Let me expand just a little: the dude's okay, but he doesn't deserve minutes over Tinsley, Sarunas or Armstrong because he doesn't add anything but defense. Check out his three-pointers - we need to stretch the defense for guys like JO'Neal and Jackson, and to a lesser degree Mr. 3pt himself, Al Harrington, and I'm not so sure Oriene Greene can do that. Now, add those deficiencies with Foster's offensive "touch" and I think we have a recipe for disaster that even Rachel Ray couldn't duplicate. Emeril maybe. Julia Child, probably.
    You play him when you need defense not 200 points.

  8. #8
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,458

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Why can't we just play Quis? He's decent enough.

  9. #9
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quis is a 2.

  10. #10
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,458

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quis is a 2.
    You son of a *****! I'm not going to argue with you, I'm going to go to sleep. But I will say this - I did like some of what I saw last year when he and I were in Boston (he as a member of the Celtics, I, as the 6th man on a "competitive" 1-7 intramural squad by the name of "Mass Probation"), but I just don't think he deserves time ahead of any of the guys we got.

    Plus, think about Jermaine's blocks - they might go down if we play better defense at the point guard spot.



    Please note: I am using the phrase "son of a *****" in a friendly manner.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,630

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    I've thought that at the least he should be in the rotation

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26777

    If you want the 2nd unit to run the best way to do that is by getting stops at the defensive end. You're not going to get that with either Tinsley or Sarunas.

    I'm well aware of his weakness on the offensive side of the court but I think his D would more than make up for it. We have more than enough guys that want to shoot to make for the 14 shots Tinsley has been taking lately.

  12. #12
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You son of a *****! I'm not going to argue with you, I'm going to go to sleep. But I will say this - I did like some of what I saw last year when he and I were in Boston (he as a member of the Celtics, I, as the 6th man on a "competitive" 1-7 intramural squad by the name of "Mass Probation"), but I just don't think he deserves time ahead of any of the guys we got.

    Plus, think about Jermaine's blocks - they might go down if we play better defense at the point guard spot.



    Please note: I am using the phrase "son of a *****" in a friendly manner.
    Okkkkkkkkkkkkkay

  13. #13
    One man show ajbry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,696

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Orien really ain't too bad on the offensive end, if you look at our other options:

    1) Tinsley - One night it could be 5 FGA and 12 assists, the next it could be 16 FGA and 3 assists.
    2) Armstrong - Inconsistent due to his age.
    3) Jasikevicius - Just inconsistent anyway, and still a defensive liability.

    At least we know what to expect at a minimum from Orien - a good perimeter defender who can keep his man out of the lane, and someone who can at least get the ball to JO, Jack, or Al.

  14. #14
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,458

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    I'm all for giving the kid a shot, I just don't expect great things to happen when he's in. But I could be wrong.

    I think we're looking for consistency though, and throwing in a new guy doesn't fit that goal, you guys know what I'm saying?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for giving the kid a shot,
    I just looked up Orien's age. He'll be 25 in February. No longer a kid.

    Our current three point guards are playing well enough that I'd imagine Orien won't see much PT until, when and if, one of the rotation point guards sustains an injury.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Orien really ain't too bad on the offensive end, if you look at our other options:

    1) Tinsley - One night it could be 5 FGA and 12 assists, the next it could be 16 FGA and 3 assists.
    2) Armstrong - Inconsistent due to his age.
    3) Jasikevicius - Just inconsistent anyway, and still a defensive liability.

    At least we know what to expect at a minimum from Orien - a good perimeter defender who can keep his man out of the lane, and someone who can at least get the ball to JO, Jack, or Al.
    I'm all for giving Orien more minutes at PG, and Sarunas at SG by limiting Stephen's minutes (a lot).

    Orien will stop guard penetration while Sarunas will take care of the offense. Wow, now I think of it I like it very much!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

  17. #17
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,628

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He should be our back up PG, but whatever you know Rick aint gonna play no young guys no matter how they play.
    Try to pretend that you at least watch THIS year's team when you toss something like this out there, please.

    Or are the names Rawle (started), Powell, and Shawne (started) unfamiliar to you. Did 2nd year man Granger not become a starter this season, and remain a major minutes guy even when he went to the bench? They kept Rawle specifically because of how he played compared to White (who like Greene was also 24 which moves him past being a "young guy" in the NBA sense, ie not a 1-2 year college guy or HS player or even a normall 4 year guy in his rookie year).


    Okay, I know, the last few years were all about injuries and stuff, so James Jones (2nd year) doesn't count, neither does Harrison's time (even when it started before the brawl actually), neither does Danny's last year.

    But just WHO ARE THESE YOUNG PLAYERS RC isn't playing?

    Let me guess, play Powell over Baston and Foster, play Rawle over Jackson and Daniels (or does he count as young since he's getting less PT?) and play Greene over Tins and Saras.

    Excuse me if I prefer them winning at a 45-48 win season rate and looking to do something NOW and LATER. I like all the young talent the team has, but they also have a main group playing some pretty good ball.


    Rick doesn't play youth is one of the most innane, baseless cliches that exists regarding the Pacers. Prince is the one player that fits that. RC runs a DEEPER rotation than guys like Riley, Phil and Larry Brown typically do.

    He TRIPLED Fred Jones' minutes his first year (Fred's 2nd) over what Isiah gave the moderately high pick in his first year. And after moving to Toronto Fred has seen his playing time GO DOWN from what RC gave him. That's sub-.500 TOR that signed him away as a FA and even started him for awhile.

    Yet somehow this statement just keeps getting thrown out like its accepted fact.


    And ironically its used even as Greene has been getting playing time DESPITE TPTB putting 3 other PGs on the roster as well, and adding swing guard Daniels too. They aren't hurting for PG depth, yet Rick has started finding minutes for Greene which required him to shift him to the active roster too.

    I wonder why that is? It certainly isn't just a fluke.



    On the topic of Greene's ability, he has great defensive awareness and on that end of the court he's a serious player. My concern (and other from PD have echoed it) is how close to carrying the ball he comes whenver he dribbles. It's not just a small thing, this is a bad habit that doesn't seem about to change.

    So right now he is a specialist, good for when you can give up offense just to get some stops. Maybe as RC tries out short bursts of new things he'll find a situation with Greene and a SG that he really is comfortable with.

    Honestly right now I'd give all the minutes DA is getting over to Daniels and Greene. I also expect Greene to remain with the Pacers past when Saras is gone.

  18. #18
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Try to pretend that you at least watch THIS year's team when you toss something like this out there, please.

    Or are the names Rawle (started), Powell, and Shawne (started) unfamiliar to you. Did 2nd year man Granger not become a starter this season, and remain a major minutes guy even when he went to the bench? They kept Rawle specifically because of how he played compared to White (who like Greene was also 24 which moves him past being a "young guy" in the NBA sense, ie not a 1-2 year college guy or HS player or even a normall 4 year guy in his rookie year).
    I aint gonna try to pretend, I watch more Pacers games then you. No pretending here.

    Did you just toss out Rawle,JP and Shawne as to discredit my argument against Rick playing young guys? ARE YOU SERIOUS? They dont play for ****, Rawle is the only one that got consistent minutes in one game and thats because he caught fire on offense, Josh and Shawne play in garbage time or when half the roster gets food poisoning. Playing players 2-3 minutes everynow and then does not count as playing young players.

    Ohh and Danny Granger, Rick Carlisle was forced to play Danny Granger. I dont think you were at the Pacers Digest last year, but alot of us were pissed that Rick didnt play Danny at all when Ron was here. Once Ron was traded Rick was forced to play Danny, and he still didnt get consistent minutes when Peja came here.

    Dat Dude was here.

  19. #19
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: Does Orien Greene deserve some minutes?

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just looked up Orien's age. He'll be 25 in February. No longer a kid.

    Our current three point guards are playing well enough that I'd imagine Orien won't see much PT until, when and if, one of the rotation point guards sustains an injury.
    He was a rookie LAST year.
    He's still a kid 'gamewise'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •