Thread: Baltimore vs. Indianapolis Colts (from the Addai thread)

Default Re: Ravens promise to punish Addai

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The trash talk does make things interesting. Hopefully Ray will be checked for weapons before he enters the stadium. Sounds like the Ravens have a little bit of that Jacksonville chip on their shoulder. Doesn't make sense, since they did get a ring. I believe it comes back to jealousy in not getting those endorsement dollars like #18.
    I guess that must be it. I mean, I don't understand how people can hate the Colts otherwise. They're nice, classy, and don't really say much. But whatever, let them be angry. We'll just go in as we always do and take care of business. Hopefully with a win.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I guess that must be it. I mean, I don't understand how people can hate the Colts otherwise. They're nice, classy, and don't really say much.
    They're also the team that one night, Baltimore residents went to sleep with a football team, the next morning they woke up and that team was in Indianapolis.

Not literally, but pretty close.

I can see why Baltimore residents would be just foaming at the mouth over this. Some of that may have spilled over to the team.

Of course the Ravens have a title and the Colts haven't in that time but I imagine they still don't think what Irsay did was a favor.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I guess that must be it. I mean, I don't understand how people can hate the Colts otherwise. They're nice, classy, and don't really say much.
    Well, there are 31 other teams out there...

But you seem to want an explanation...

For old-timers, associating the word "classy" with a team owned by the Irsay family is just hard to do. I'm sure Jim is classier than Bob - all he did was "threaten" to move the team, he didn't actually do it. I'm sure the players are classy, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not interested in paying enough attention to an Irsay-owned team to know if the players are classy or not. I doubt that I'm alone on that.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Well, there are 31 other teams out there...

But you seem to want an explanation...

For old-timers, associating the word "classy" with a team owned by the Irsay family is just hard to do. I'm sure Jim is classier than Bob - all he did was "threaten" to move the team, he didn't actually do it. I'm sure the players are classy, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not interested in paying enough attention to an Irsay-owned team to know if the players are classy or not. I doubt that I'm alone on that.
    Gee Jay - it wasn't that long ago our Pacers were considered classy.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    They're also the team that one night, Baltimore residents went to sleep with a football team, the next morning they woke up and that team was in Indianapolis.

Not literally, but pretty close.

I can see why Baltimore residents would be just foaming at the mouth over this. Some of that may have spilled over to the team.

Of course the Ravens have a title and the Colts haven't in that time but I imagine they still don't think what Irsay did was a favor.
    Don't forget, DK, that that Baltimore Ravens were once called the Cleveland Browns.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Kauf-dizzle! Good to see you posting.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Oh pleasy what Irsay did was hardly unclassy, Hmm city is threatening to steal my team right out from under me. Should I A) Let that happen B) Move.

The vast majority of people would choose B, Baltimore has nobody to blame other than the gov't that threatened to steal his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post
    Oh pleasy what Irsay did was hardly unclassy, Hmm city is threatening to steal my team right out from under me. Should I A) Let that happen B) Move.

The vast majority of people would choose B, Baltimore has nobody to blame other than the gov't that threatened to steal his team.
    And why did the city of Baltimore threaten emminent domain?

Because Bobby was throwing a fit about Memorial Stadium and conducting a not-well-kept secret negotiation with both Indy and Phoenix to move the team. Bobby was hardly the victim here.

The people of Baltimore still feel that Irsay stole "their" team - and rubbed their noses in it when he kept the name that should've been reserved for that city.

To the citizens of Baltimore, this is going to be a HUGE game. Huge. Yes, that is Art Modell's franchise and because of that the Steelers are supposed to be their biggest rival, but this is bigger.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And why did the city of Baltimore threaten emminent domain?

Because Bobby was throwing a fit about Memorial Stadium and conducting a not-well-kept secret negotiation to move the team. Bobby was hardly the victim here.

The people of Baltimore still feel that Irsay stole "their" team - and rubbed their noses in it when he kept the name that should've been reserved for that city.

To the citizens of Baltimore, this is going to be a HUGE game. Huge. Yes, that is Art Modell's franchise and because of that the Steelers are supposed to be their biggest rival, but this is bigger.

I seroiusly doubt that fan emnity rubs off on the players. How many of the Ravens players hail from the Maryland area to be infected by this hatred? Sure maybe a little hype, but as soon as the game starts it's football and all football.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

For some Jay I would agree, but considering the team moved here in 84 eventually the true hatred eventually does disappear after the oldies die off. I would think someone would have to be close to 30 to really remember and care what happened.

You can say all you want about Jimmy, but at the end of the day he didn't move the team from Baltimore and the team has remained in Indy.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    Don't forget, DK, that that Baltimore Ravens were once called the Cleveland Browns.
    The difference was that the Browns moving was known publicly for a substantial period of time and there were efforts made to prevent it - which obviously didn't work. Not to say Cleveland fans couldn't or shouldn't be PO'd but the way that move was done was completely different from the cloak-and-dagger Colts move.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I seroiusly doubt that fan emnity rubs off on the players. How many of the Ravens players hail from the Maryland area to be infected by this hatred? Sure maybe a little hype, but as soon as the game starts it's football and all football.
    I agree... the players view the Steelers as their #1 rival.

But the fans are going to be a factor in this game, because this is "personal" to them.

Let's see, I was 14 when the Colts moved in, I'd been following the NFL prettly closely for a number of years, but I'd say anyone older than 35-40 and still living in Baltimore is probably salivating at this game.

Let's just say the Simons sell the Pacers to somebody that keeps the team in CFH for a few years, antagonizes and eventually alienates the local fan base, then moves the team to Jacksonville but keeps the "Pacers" name. Even if we got a new team, how many decades would it take us to forget that "Pacers" was "our" name before the new owner came along and stole it from us?

You can say all you want about Jimmy, but at the end of the day he didn't move the team from Baltimore and the team has remained in Indy.
    I don't pay enough attention to him to have an opinion.

He did miss a golden opportunity to undo some of his father's ill-will when the Browns moved. Just as the name "Browns" stayed with Cleveland, he should've allowed the Baltimore team to use the "Colts" name and picked a new name for his team.

His biggest problem is the inability to shake the Irsay name from his birth certificate. Unless someone is already inclined to be a Colts fan, its unlikely that anyone is going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, his father has been out of the picture for while now, so as you & Geezer said, time will heal some of the wounds.

Mood

Let's just say the Simons sell the Pacers to somebody that keeps the team in CFH for a few years, antagonizes and eventually alienates the local fan base, then moves the team to Jacksonville but keeps the "Pacers" name. Even if we got a new team, how many decades would it take us to forget that "Pacers" was "our" name before the new owner came along and stole it from us?
    I thought about that the other day. That would really fire me up big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This is true and I would be personally upset. I would imagine that is how the 18,000 fans the Colts were averaging before they left Baltimore felt as well.

Read the following text and think why Donnie is concerned about hitting rock bottom with the Pacers. Kind of scary isn't it?

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...baltcolts.html

1982: Attendance begins to dwindle at Memorial Stadium as fans get fed up with Colts losing during a season interrupted by a 2-month strike. Actually the strike provided relief for the Colts, as the possibly avoided one of the worst seasons in NFL history. The Colts were simply awful, during a season, which saw them go winless while tying 1 game in a 9-game season.

1983: With the number 1 pick in the NFL Draft the Colts select QB John Elway from Stanford. However, Elway refused to go to Baltimore and threatened to play minor league baseball or in the newly formed USFL. Fearful the Colts would get nothing for his rights the Colts trade John Elway to the Denver Broncos, before he ever put on the horseshoed helmet. After starting the season with an overtime win in New England over the Patriots the Colts faced the Broncos in the home opener as Baltimore fans are hostile to Elway. However, fans get to see what they missed when Elway leads a game winning drive in the 4th. Despite losing out on Elway, and 1-year suspension for gambling to QB Art Schlichter, the Colts play solid football compiling a 7-9 record. However attendance lags, as fans continue to disapprove of the way Robert Irsay runs the club.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That's my point. To the long-time citizens of Baltimore, this game is "personal." Worse than moving the team in the middle of the night was the decision to not re-name the team. It was discussed, but over time Bob Irsay had renamed his other businesses "Colts" and didn't want to re-brand everything else.

To the citizens of Baltimore, its still humiliating that "Colts" is used for another team. The Indiana fans in general were just so happy to get a team - they didn't care what its name and logo would be...

Why do you think it took announcers years to get from the habit of calling the team "the Baltimore Colts" after they moved?

The "Baltimore Colts Marching Band" kept their name intact during the period Baltimore didn't have a team, and even for the first couple of seasons the Ravens were in town the band was still referred to as the "Baltimore Colts Marching Band" and didn't become the Baltimore Marching Ravens until 1998.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/raven...hingRavens.jsp

Why do you think it took announcers years to get from the habit of calling the team "the Baltimore Colts" after they moved?
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/raven...hingRavens.jsp
    Sorry Jay I can't resist.

A. They were either senile.... or B. Terrible at doing their job?

-snip- However attendance lags, as fans continue to disapprove of the way Robert Irsay runs the club.
    Read down the page...

The city of Baltimore would fail in several attempts at landing a NFL franchise, and even entered the CFL, before landing a new NFL franchise named the Ravens in 1996. However, the Irsay family would not relinquish the name Colts, as they once promised. Many Colt legends were angered by the move including legendary QB Johnny Unitas who refused to acknowledge the franchise for the rest of his life.

============

Bob Irsay - especially in Baltimore - was out of control. Storming into the press box, firing coaches, he was the opposite of the hands-off Simons. He knew nothing about football but that didn't stop him from making rash decisions.

The citizens of Baltimore passionately supported the team for most of its history - the dwindling attendance was based more on dissatisfaction with the meddling owner than anything else.

I in no way desire to defend Tiger Bob. By all accounts and this includes his time in Indy he was known to be hot headed and a ###hole.

Having said that and I know while it wasn't right he did own the rights. I guess it would be like Tony George moving the 500 to Florida and calling that race the Indy 500. I might not like it, but it is Tony George's property and would think after several years I would get over it. Shoot it's going to take me a few years to stop hating Detroit for the Brawl. But someday I will and will only dislike the Pistons because they play in the central.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

In the interest of the high road prevailing and the thread staying on track about Joseph Addai and the Ravens, I think it's certainly appropriate that our exchange not exist anymore.
    Narf!

I in no way desire to defend Tiger Bob. By all accounts and this includes his time in Indy he was known to be hot headed and a ###hole.

Having said that and I know while it wasn't right he did own the rights.
    Weeeell, sort of. My understanding is he hadn't received league approval when he moved the team - that he did it, then turned to the league and said, "OK - now what are you going to do about it?"

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Baltimore vs. Indianapolis Colts (from the Addai thread)

Brooklyn/LA Dodgers
    Minneapolis/LA Lakers
    St. Louis/Arizona Cardinals
    New Orleans/Utah Jazz
    LA/Oakland/St Louis Rams

I could go on and on about teams that have moved and kept their knicknames.

I think if someone researches they'll find that the Colts have been in Indy as long as they were in Baltimore, if not longer.

And let's not talk like it was an "out of the blue" move from Baltimore...it had been talked about in the papers for a couple of weeks before he left town, in fact the public talk was why the city fathers of Baltimore threatened Imminent Domain (CYA IMPO) and that threat was why he had to leave in a hurry. The shock came when it came down to Indy for they originally thought he was headed further west.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Baltimore 52-84 (32 years) (and two previous teams between 48 and 52 that were also called the Baltimore Colts.
    Indy 84-06 (22 years and counting).

t-Bone

Anyone that would whine over something that happened 23 years ago does have alot of problems. Suprisingly alot of Baltimore people still do this, even after getting a new team (That they stole from Cleveland BTW) and that team winning a Super Bowl. Also, they state that they dislike Bob Irsay and not the City of Indy..... Well, Bob Irsay died in 97. That's 10 years ago. lol.
    I can't wait for this game. Defense versus Offense.
    This is a fitting tribute to the Baltimore people over on RATS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y011sTSiB30

If it really bothers Baltimore fans that much, I'm willing to trade them the Colts for the Ravens.

They got a new team and won a freaking Super Bowl with them already (possibly two after this season), while the Colts have basically spent their stay in Indy underperforming or wallowing in mediocrity. So they can keep their tears to themselves.