View Poll Results: I would buy more Pacer tickets if.....

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing. I'm already a 41-game season ticket holder.

3 3.70%
  • I didn't live so far away from Indy.

40 49.38%
  • tickets were cheaper or I earned more money.

27 33.33%
  • better seats (in the lower bowl) were available.

9 11.11%
  • it weren't so easy to watch games on FSN.

10 12.35%
  • I weren't obligated to work/family/school/etc.

19 23.46%
  • Club Rio and the brawl hadn't happened.

6 7.41%
  • the players were more likeable.

20 24.69%
  • the Pacers were 10 games above .500 and leading the East.

5 6.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I would buy more Pacers tickets if.....

Default I would buy more Pacers tickets if.....

The Tuesday night game against Atlanta had announced attendance of only 13,500 people. That was more than showed up in Philly the same night to watch the 76ers and Pistons, but it is darned low. The Pacers need something close to 17,000 per game to make a profit, so any game that falls below that is a problem for PS&E and for all of us.

Here's a poll to ask Pacers Digest members what they see as the main reasons for non-attendance.

You can click as many answers as apply. as usual, comments and clarifications are welcome. Please talk about your personal reasons only. If you want to speculate on why other people don't attend, please start another thread.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Default Re: I would buy more Pacers tickets if.....

You left out an option:

*If Tinsley and Jackson were traded.

I went to the first couple of games, but I found I can't stand watching Jackson have his little tirades towards the refs as the ref of the team runs down the floor. As long as this team is lead by those knuckleheads, I'm satying home and voting with my wallet. It's the only way I can make management know that I don't like what I see. As long as people fill the seats, no matter what, TPTB have just that much more reason to stay the course. I mean, they're still making their money, right?

Trade those guys and I'm back in a heartbeat.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Honestly, it's the atmosphere that bothers me. Every time I go to a game, the crowd is full of people who would rather talk on their phones than watch the first 40 minutes of game action. I dunno.. PS&E needs something to motivate the crowd and make it more fun and exciting throughout the entire game. It's a huge contrast to every IU game I've been to, when the whole crowd is jumping and yelling on every possession from the tipoff. If they can do that for a Mike Davis-coached team, then certainly it could happen at Conseco... regardless of how the Pacers are playing

Bought the 10/11 game package for the Mrs. and I plus additonal tickets for other family members for three other games already. At a round trip of approximately 200 miles yes distance does make a difference.

While it would seem people being able to watch the games on FSN might deter them from going to the game I think the opposite is true. This isn't absolute and of course there are exceptions, but I do believe folks who really like the Ps go to as many games as possible within budget and time. FSN helps sell tickets for those who have a smaller interest I think. The casual fan who may see a game on television get's the notion that maybe it would be cool to see a game live.

The die hards like those who post here are going to the games as the can.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I've already gone on record saying I prefer to watch the games from the comfort of my home. I still attend anywhere from 10-15 games a season. I have never actually purchased a ticket. I receive all of my tickets thru relatives and friends. Usually a last minute call and an offer to go to a game that starts in an hour or two. I can't afford to buy the kind of seats I'm accustomed to sitting in. If I do go to a game, I sit on the floor, in a suite, in the 9th row at near center court, in the players wives section ( which is behind the goal and up about 20 rows) or in some other totally sweet company/rich guys season tickets. I can't afford to buy those kind of seats and I've become spoiled. If I can get to half the home games and never buy a ticket that I can't afford in the first place, why on earth would I buy the ones I can afford and then wish I was sitting where I normally do sit. I'll watch the games at home with a couple of buddies, throw down a few beers and wax poetic on the virtues of Mel Mel the Abuser's sweet passes.

I also have two young children and my wife won't let me buy tickets to 41 Pacers games every year.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Where is the "I would never buy one" option?
    Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You left out an option:

I went to the first couple of games, but I found I can't stand watching Jackson have his little tirades towards the refs as the ref of the team runs down the floor. As long as this team is lead by those knuckleheads, I'm satying home and voting with my wallet. It's the only way I can make management know that I don't like what I see. As long as people fill the seats, no matter what, TPTB have just that much more reason to stay the course. I mean, they're still making their money, right?

Scott, I meant for your position to fall under "the players were more likeable." Thanks for making it clear that serious fans DO feel this strongly about certain players on the roster.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

When I do go to the games I forget to actually watch. I get distracted by the beer man, the crew disassembling their trampolines after a timeout, the 4-5 cigarettes I have to go outside to smoke, the hot chick a couple rows over, the cameras that are mounted behind the backboards, the passing of strangers money only to have to pass a beer the other way 4 seconds later.....that's why I prefer to watch the games at home so I can pay attention and not get suprised when there's 3 minutes to go in the fourth and I have no idea what's going on.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Money, time, and family comittments for me (2 teenagers and their activities).

I recently had those freebies for the 12th row behind vistior bnch. Honesty, It has been along time since I had seen that much excitement and enthusiasm from the people around me. This lwer bowl crowd was really into the game, jumpin cheering, carrying on like the crowd I would expect but rarely see in the upper levels. I said that right, I've found as much hand sitting upstairs as I have ever seen down low. Numerous times I've been stared at for getting rowdy (and I don't get that rowdy) upstairs so I have never really bought into the theory that it is endemic with the lower seats.

Add to that, my family and I attend several games a year at Conseco for other events (IE Big 10 Womens Tourney) and always get really really good seats very reasonably. My kids hate going to the Pacer games because we have to sit in the upper level or not go as a family (one or two at a time). One of them even asked why anyone would buy a season ticket up so high. When I told em that they really loved the game I was told you can love it just as much from the couch with cheaper coke and popcorn.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Scott, I meant for your position to fall under "the players were more likeable." Thanks for making it clear that serious fans DO feel this strongly about certain players on the roster.

Oh, I know, Putnam. I was just being silly and voicing specifically my complaint, but I'd already checked that category about player likability.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Distance: 2112.4 miles Time: 29hrs 16 minutes (approx)

I would gladly attend at least one game in my life, but being from The Netherlands it would cost me a fortune.

Anyways, I would only go to a game if I could sit next to Dat Dude, I wonder if he is so humorous in real like he is online.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    When I do go to the games I forget to actually watch. I get distracted by the beer man, the crew disassembling their trampolines after a timeout, the 4-5 cigarettes I have to go outside to smoke, the hot chick a couple rows over, the cameras that are mounted behind the backboards, the passing of strangers money only to have to pass a beer the other way 4 seconds later.....that's why I prefer to watch the games at home so I can pay attention and not get suprised when there's 3 minutes to go in the fourth and I have no idea what's going on.
    Been there done that. That is why I prefer the old coliseum to either MSA or Conseco. They turned the lights out over the crowd and it focused your attention on the playing floor.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Been there done that. That is why I prefer the old coliseum to either MSA or Conseco. They turned the lights out over the crowd and it focused your attention on the playing floor.
    Must have been an insurance adjusters nightmare.

I don't remember MSA being that bright Geez? You must have had better seats than I.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

It's sort of hard for me to go to games in NC when I live 3 hours away from the closest NBA arena. But I couldn't go anyways because no one would take me.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post

I don't remember MSA being that bright Geez? You must have had better seats than I.

About 8 seats to the right of the Simons (in the same row) Top of the 3 point line. I don't recall anywhere in MSA being dim....were you behind the curtains maybe??

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post

MSA was always much brighter than MSG, but Conseco is doubly so I think. I really do wish they dimmed the crowd more myself. Feels more like an event that way.

I've been in similar situations as Goldfoot too, but with pretty pricey seats where I ended up really regretting it. It's nice to get to know the person near me, but a couple of times I've ended up talking about other stuff rather than the game. You try and get them refocused with "wow, did you see that" and then it's right back to whatever non-Pacers subject they were on. "Hey, can we take this over to the bar over free admission and $3 beers instead?"

Contrast that to going with Gnome or Imawhat where we did talk a lot, but at least it was mostly about what we were watching.

I never watch a game only live anymore, I always watch the Tivo later because I can rewind and look at plays and stuff, especially OFF THE BALL. That's where a lot of the good stuff happens anyway.

And right now I just gots no bread man. If it wasn't for PD charity I still wouldn't have seen a single game live this year.
    But that's the only reason for me. I'd be there every night if I could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    You left out an option:

So in essence, bandwagon fan. Or just a fan of players. Support the team no matter who plays man the same as if they had 15 guys you loved.

Distance: 4600 miles
    Plane ticket: 350 € (=455 $)

Thank you Jeff.

About 8 seats to the right of the Simons (in the same row) Top of the 3 point line. I don't recall anywhere in MSA being dim....were you behind the curtains maybe??

Behind the curtains........... you're killing me smalls.

I must be getting old because I always thought starting a few rows from the start to the upper levels where the tv cameras were at half court the lights were dimmed pretty well.

Close to the Simons huh? Should have had them buy you a round while you were down there.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post
    So in essence, bandwagon fan. Or just a fan of players. Support the team no matter who plays man the same as if they had 15 guys you loved.
    Substitute Carol Burnett for Angelina Jolie and do you still go see Tomb Raiders?

Substitute Carol Burnett for Angelina Jolie and do you still go see Tomb Raiders?
    OK I think I get what you are saying. Same title less quality. Isn't only rooting for a team when they are great the essence of being a bandwagon fan?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Man, you are a geezer. Tomb Raider.

Let me guess, it's like my dad used to say, "Let's go to Best Buys".

And does Burnett on board mean a better script? And what if Natalie Portman is added as a sidekick character with a nude swimming hole scene?

Point - I'm pretty sure JO, Al and Jeff are all major pieces of this current team too. Why would you protest Jack at the expense of supporting the rest of the team?

You don't like one of your kid's classmates, so you protest the school play featuring him by not going even though your own kid is also in it???

Imagine skipping a mid-90's Pacers game because you didn't like how Ferrell lived his life. Or pretend Dale is at Club Rio in 98 and you pass up seeing Reggie drop his shot over Jordan just to make a point.

So I don't think it's as simple as taking a stand against 2 players.

Plus if the point is that you want players of a certain style or character, then that implies that you would go as long as they played that better style and stayed out of trouble. Somehow I'm doubtful that kind of positive reinforcement is on the agenda.

Maybe go to every game following one in which Jackson plays "the right way" and skip every game following one in which he doesn't. Right now skipping games for Jack and Tins gets mixed into the batch with skipping just because the team doesn't win enough.

And if attendence goes up as the team wins more games then it only reinforces that as the reason, telling the Simons "just win baby".

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    And if attendence goes up as the team wins more games then it only reinforces that as the reason, telling the Simons "just win baby".
    yes, for some that's quite true, but for others it's just JT and Jax2. That's their opinion.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Mood

and for others...who are borderline as to whether to go or not....their presence could be the reason for going or not going. Their continued knuckleheadedness could be the tipping point for those deciding whether to buy season tix or not.

This is an old arguement that takes away from the thread tho.

(and that was the only AJ movie I could think of at the time)