Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magic Players?

Default Re: Magic Players?

Man, I'm still debating. I've been trying to find a copy of Scrye, Inquest, anything...and everyone is sold out. I just want to be better informed before I think about making the plunge again.

I bought a core pack, just to play around with and I've been playing online to get a feel for things again. Then there's another consideration.

When I played, we had a rotating group of about 6-12 guys who used to meet every Friday and throw down. We'd usually go from 7 pm. till around 3 or 4 in the morning. I'd have to find a new place to play. Does any store even host Magic nights anymore?

If I do decide to go, I'll let you know and we can meet up. I'd hate to go, not even knowing what I want to look for in cards.

BTW, part of my hesitation is that I am so used to dual lands. Hell, I USED to have a complete set of lengendary land. Playing with just one color will be hard although this new set seems to adress that indirectly with crossover spells.

BTW, I'm gonna send you a myspace friend request, Shade.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I can't find the new InQuest either. I broke down and got a subscription because it always seems to be hard to find. I don't know where you live, but the Comic Carnival on the east side has the newest Scrye.

There are a couple stores that still play Magic on Friday nights. The biggest place is off of 116th and Allisonville. But those guys are typically serious tournament players, so it's not the best setting for casual players. I used to have a group not long ago but lost most of them to World of Warcraft.

If you want a little more info, check out the official Magic site. It's usually pretty informative.

I don't know if you've ever drafted before, but it's a blast. I love to go to the prereleases just to get new cards early and draft. I'm pretty good at it, too.

And there are new dual lands now, but they're not quite as powerful. They require you to pay 2 life or they come into play tapped, which isn't a bad deal by today's standards. But otherwise, they're identical to the original duals.

Here are some recent comparisons to old cards:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott, pig:

If either of you wants to meet up at the prerelease, I plan to be there around 8am and will probably be there until 8 pm or so. I'll be pretty much parked at the drafting tables for the day. Just LMK and we'll pick a rendezvous site.

Btw, the full spoiler is up. I need to get me some Damnations, Extirpates, and Tombs of Yawgmoth for the BR deck I'm building.

Well, if I do get to go, i'll get there about 3:00-5:00. Is the place they moved the prerelease close to the convention center

I need to know where it is.

Edit: You're going to be there for 12 Hours!!!!!!!!!!! wow.
    That'll do.

Yeah, it's at the Crowne Plaza, which isn't far from the Convention Center. It's kind of between the center and the RCA Dome.

Intersting cards. Maybe there is hope of playing a two color deck. I was real big on Blue/Black control decks.

I at least found a couple of issues of Scrye, so I'll read them today. Where do you guys play when you play with others? Someone's house? A store? I think I'm at about %75 on on going tommorow, even though I'm sure I'll get my *** kicked. Might be nice to get the new cards early.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Intersting cards. Maybe there is hope of playing a two color deck. I was real big on Blue/Black control decks.

I at least found a couple of issues of Scrye, so I'll read them today. Where do you guys play when you play with others? Someone's house? A store? I think I'm at about %75 on on going tommorow, even though I'm sure I'll get my *** kicked. Might be nice to get the new cards early.
    I usually just play over at a friend's house, but sometimes go to a store for Friday Night Magic if I'm not working.

I've been teaching a few "old-timers" that are slowly creeping back into the game Scott, so I'm sure I could help you get caught back up with everything if you want. As an old-timer myself, I can understand where you're coming from.

Two-color decks are actually the norm these days. There are lots of "mana-fixers" that allow you to play 2-3 colors easily. I'm currently playing blue/red, but am about to change it to black/red (my favorite color combo) with the release of Planar Chaos, which shores up a lot of black's weaknesses (Black Wrath of God FTW!).

I will say, players these days are much better at the game than they were when the game was still relatively new.

I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Hey Scott, I don't know if you made it down or not, but I didn't see you if you did. I meant to give you my phone # so you could find me if you made it down, but it totally slipped my mind.

With the exception of severely lacking in sleep and being sick as hell all day, I had a blast. I did very well, and pulled a couple of cards that should pretty much pay for the day by themselves (foil Extripate FTW!).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

STARBURY

08 and Beyond

No, I didn't go. After a LOT of debating, I just didn't feel familiar enough with the cards and new stuff to go. I wouldnt have known what to trade for, etc. A part of me really regrets it. I was gonna give you my cell if I was going and have you be my "guide," lol. I just didn't want to spend that kinda money not being sure if I'm gonna get back into the game or not.

I told myself I'd spend the weeks until the "official" release brushing up on cards and strategies, then maybe get a core pack or two and a couple of boosters and go from there. I do regret not going, though.

That's understandable. The convention is actually continuing into today, though it's probably not the best idea to go downtown right now with all the hoopla surrounding the Colts. I would go again, but I have to work tonight and I'm sick as hell to boot.

LMK if you want to meet up any time after the set's release in a couple weeks, as I plan to get a box and draft with some friends in a casual setting somewhere. Maybe at Perkins or something.

I went, and got an Akroma, Angel Of Fury and a Torchling in one sealed deck.
    I finished 1 point away from a prize.
    That'll do.

LMK if you want to meet up any time after the set's release in a couple weeks, as I plan to get a box and draft with some friends in a casual setting somewhere. Maybe at Perkins or something.
    Sounds fun. I've been researching cards all weekend, getting familiar with cards for type II play (I assume Ravnica will be dropped as the oldest set in favor of Planar?). I've never done a booster draft. Sounds like fun. If you do that, I'd be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Sounds fun. I've been researching cards all weekend, getting familiar with cards for type II play (I assume Ravnica will be dropped as the oldest set in favor of Planar?). I've never done a booster draft. Sounds like fun. If you do that, I'd be interested.
    In short, all expansion sets come in three set "blocks," with a large set and two subsequent smaller sets. Type 2 consists of the two newest blocks, plus the newest Core Set. Typically, only full blocks rotate out at once, not individual sets. So all of Ravnica block will remain in Type 2 until the first set after Time Spiral block is released.

Confused?

Right now in Type 2, we have:

Ravnica block: Ravnica, Guildpact, and Dissension
    Time Spiral Block: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, and Future Sight
    9th Edition Core Set
    Coldsnap

Now, it's a little unusual at the moment. Coldsnap is a small "stand alone set" that isn't officially in a block anywhere (it was the long-lost third set of the Ice Age block). It is Type 2 legal, and will rotate out at the same time that Time Spiral block rotates out.

10th Edition Core Set will be out this summer, and will replace 9th Edition when it hits. New Core Sets are released every two years.

I'm sure all of that just made your eyes bug out of your head. I can explain it much better in person, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pig norton View Post
    I went, and got an Akroma, Angel Of Fury and a Torchling in one sealed deck.
    I finished 1 point away from a prize.
    Please tell me you played heavy red.

In one draft, I was passed a Groundbreaker and TWO Timbermares. Unfortunately, I ran up against an early shifted Whirling Dervish in two consecutive games and just came up short of being able to race him. Aganst any other deck, I would have won.

Please tell me you played heavy red.

In one draft, I was passed a Groundbreaker and TWO Timbermares. Unfortunately, I ran up against an early shifted Whirling Dervish in two consecutive games and just came up short of being able to race him. Aganst any other deck, I would have won.

LOL yeah, I also got alot of removal, but while the quality of my red was good, the quantity was terrible. That said, I played all but 4 of my red cards, and still had to play more than a splash of green.

That was a mistake, it should have been blue or black.
    That'll do.

In short, all expansion sets come in three set "blocks," with a large set and two subsequent smaller sets. Type 2 consists of the two newest blocks, plus the newest Core Set. Typically, only full blocks rotate out at once, not individual sets. So all of Ravnica block will remain in Type 2 until the first set after Time Spiral block is released.

Confused?

Right now in Type 2, we have:

Ravnica block: Ravnica, Guildpact, and Dissension
    Time Spiral Block: Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, and Future Sight
    9th Edition Core Set
    Coldsnap

Now, it's a little unusual at the moment. Coldsnap is a small "stand alone set" that isn't officially in a block anywhere (it was the long-lost third set of the Ice Age block). It is Type 2 legal, and will rotate out at the same time that Time Spiral block rotates out.

10th Edition Core Set will be out this summer, and will replace 9th Edition when it hits. New Core Sets are released every two years.

I'm sure all of that just made your eyes bug out of your head. I can explain it much better in person, though.

Actually, I think I basically get it. Well, I took a step today. I bought 300 Time Spiral cards, 100 Coldsnap and 100 Ravnica from ebay today. Each lot of 100 is supposed to have at least two rares, then a grab bag of other uncommons, commons, etc. It was a lot cheaper than buying boosters and only cost me $47. Give me something to play around with and get a better feel of things. I'll try and hold off getting 9th core till 10th core comes out, I guess.

Either of you guys ever play at Gamerz on S. Meridian or The Dugout, out west? I stopped by Gamerz to check it out today, while it was closed and talked to a guy at The Dugout on the phone. Nice guy and gave me a layout of what kind of crowd they have, etc.

I've been to both, but never played at either, just because they're both a decent distance from me. Gamerz does seem like a decent place to play, though.

Hey Scott, what's your schedule like Super Bowl weekend? Planar Chaos officially releases on Friday the 2nd, and as of right now, I have the entire weekend off of work. I'm going to try to get some people together somewhere for a PC draft sometime on either Friday or Saturday.

I mainly play drafts at games to die for. I've never heard of Gamerz, but I've heard good things about the Dugout
    That'll do.

pig-"Games to die for" What is that? Where is it?

shade-Lemme know. Right now, I think I'm free Fri and Sat. (My preference would be a friday night)

sorry to bump this, but i need to know, is the future sight prerelease at the adam's mark hotel, or is there such a place as adam's market like it says on the pastimes website?
    That'll do.