Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post game thread - Pacers beat Hawks

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Post game thread - Pacers beat Hawks

I've been vid cap limited due to an ailing laptop for weeks now. Sucks. I'm losing games off the end of the Tivo now.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    SOMEONE PLEASE UPLOAD THE FOOTAGE - THIS IS TORTURE!
    I really need to get a job and pay for League Pass...
    Talked to a guy last week that was really ticked because he paid for LP and they show very few Pacer games.

What are you talking about the LP shows every single game. Well other then the ones that are nationally televised

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'd be careful about reading too much into the final 3 minutes. It was basically a pickup game by that time.

Whenever I get too excited about someone's performance at the end of a game like tonight's I always remember this...

16 years ago, when I was a freshman in high school, I watched either a Colts game or a Monday night football game and this guy named Buford McGee of the Rams carried the ball like 5 times for 50 yards on the last 5 plays of a 30 point game. The next day in Geography class I was talking to the teacher, who also happened to be my football coach ( Rick Strief), about the game and I said they should just give the ball to McGee every time and he replied "Maybe they should just win every game by 30 so McGee can rush 5 times for 50 yards when it doesn't matter".

It's funny that after the game I went outside for a smoke and thought Baston looked good, Williams looks ready to play, Greene made a sweet drive to the lane and maybe they should just win every game by 30 so Buford McGee can rush 5 times for 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    Whenever I get too excited about someone's performance at the end of a game like tonight's I always remember this...

16 years ago, when I was a freshman in high school, I watched either a Colts game or a Monday night football game and this guy named Buford McGee of the Rams carried the ball like 5 times for 50 yards on the last 5 plays of a 30 point game. The next day in Geography class I was talking to the teacher, who also happened to be my football coach ( Rick Strief), about the game and I said they should just give the ball to McGee every time and he replied "Maybe they should just win every game by 30 so McGee can rush 5 times for 50 yards when it doesn't matter".

It's funny that after the game I went outside for a smoke and thought Baston looked good, Williams looks ready to play, Greene made a sweet drive to the lane and maybe they should just win every game by 30 so Buford McGee can rush 5 times for 50 yards.
    LOL...good story. Plus, a name like Buford McGee is hard to forget. Point taken, but still - isn't a sweet three-pointer a sweet three-pointer, no matter what the score? Jeez...this is why I need them highlights! I'm gonna go feel sorry for myself...

Oh, and Cleveland outscored Sacto 37-17 in the third...the JINX is on!

I would just like to point out, this game is why whether or not a player such as a JO is playing through an injury, an injury prone player is a liability because injured players don't play as well.

So what if it was a pick up game it still was very fun to see those guys having that much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    So what if it was a pick up game it still was very fun to see those guys having that much fun.
    Speaking of that, you said Al looked happy earlier after Jack made that crazy acrobatic move, and after watching the highlights just now, I definitely see it. Good to see Al having a good time out there. Even if his shot ain't falling (like it was in the 1st half), if he can stay positive and provide that energy, then we could be a team nobody wants to play.

They've never had a crowd below 14,000 - until tonight

Edit: the previous low was last season 14,037.

I figured this Hawks game would be low, Tuesday night, Hawks aren't a draw, no more $4.00 tickets or $8.00 tickets.

We do now know that 13,500 is the baseline
    As we all know, that is purchased tickets, not actual attendance. The place was pretty much a morgue tonight. I needed Bill Blazejowski there to liven it up.

If only Peck had been there to lead some cheers.

Since I missed the final 2 1/2 minutes, the primary highlights for me were:

The NBA Fan Code of Conduct video. It's now using clips from "The Office". I love that show.

Bowser's farewell video tribute to the new ball. At one point he rolled the ball into a wall and it stuck. Good stuff.

Darrell Armstrong hugging everybody on the team, the fans in the expensive seats next to the bench and rubbing some bald dude's head before the opening tip. That guy's a hoot.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Magic Rat the office rocks, also I was looking for a pic of Dwight like your avatar yesterday for my facebook pic. Darn now its not original.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Speaking of that, you said Al looked happy earlier after Jack made that crazy acrobatic move, and after watching the highlights just now, I definitely see it. Good to see Al having a good time out there. Even if his shot ain't falling (like it was in the 1st half), if he can stay positive and provide that energy, then we could be a team nobody wants to play.
    Actually I think I said it.

But yeah, they cut to a close up and Al is ear to ear behind Jack, who is himself looking pretty focused and serious. I honestly see an effort from him to get control of his game and keep the intensity. It shows in the results.

You know it's easy to forget just how much looser JO and Jack were with their emotions just a year or two ago. Jersey snaps and constant arguments with officials.

JO doesn't even wag the finger anymore (and speaking of that Dikembe did get T'd up for doing it against the Pacers). And while Jack occassionally still loses his cool, he's getting better and better about shaking it off and getting back into the game.

I'm really not trying to promote him like it might sound, I'm just saying that for all the complaining I think it's only fair to give guys their due when they improve stuff in their game.

Just like I was quick to point out Tinsley trying to pass first so much tonight. I just had ripped on him shooting so much over the last week, so owning up to his good game was no small thing. Heck, I'm more than happy to own up to players playing good after I ripped them previously. I WANT them to play a quality game and have success.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    As we all know, that is purchased tickets, not actual attendance. The place was pretty much a morgue tonight. I needed Bill Blazejowski there to liven it up.

If only Peck had been there to lead some cheers.

Since I missed the final 2 1/2 minutes, the primary highlights for me were:

The NBA Fan Code of Conduct video. It's now using clips from "The Office". I love that show.

Bowser's farewell video tribute to the new ball. At one point he rolled the ball into a wall and it stuck. Good stuff.

Darrell Armstrong hugging everybody on the team, the fans in the expensive seats next to the bench and rubbing some bald dude's head before the opening tip. That guy's a hoot.
    lol I seen JO do that to Rawle and DA

So DA was hugging fans? interacting with a bald guy ?

didn't I read a post somewhere hear not to long ago saying that it was precisely that which was missing from this team (like a high 5 with someone on the sideline I believe was said).

funny................
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Edit: I'm currently watching the Mavs play the Jazz - great game by the way - but I wonder the Jazz and the pacers traded all their players and coaches would Conseco sell out every game. Is that the type of team the city wants
    Was this the question I asked the other day in a lengthy post? Did you just boil it down to a couple of sentences?

I kept walking on eggshells, trying to make sure my point was clear... Not offend anyone by allowing the initial theme to be misunderstood. Word after word. Edits even.

And you use 2 sentences....

2 sentences....

And were every bit as clear as me.

2 sentences...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth
    but this is a city with a poor economy relative to many other cities and lacking in the recent college grad singles with disposible income that make a solid portion of event attendence.
    Seth, can you prove any of that? The Indianapolis economy is actually better than any in the midwest except Minneapolis -- much better than Cleveland or Detroit or Milwaukee. I can do a ranking of NBA cities by just about any economic criteria you name, but its not worthy to say "this is a city with a poor economy." Indianapolis ranks low in nominal income, but very high in discretionary income thanks to our low housing costs.

And I don't think there is any data enumerating "recent college grad singles." The only data that is available for all 3,140 counties in the US is "percent of adults with bachelors or higher." Hamilton County ranks 14th on that list with 48%. The only NBA cities with any county higher than Hamilton are Washington DC with 6 counties, and Los Angeles, New York and Denver with one county each. Marion County has 25.4% college grads, which is not bad. Indiana is very poor overall in retaining college graduates, but the city of Indianapolis is not.

Anyway, Seth, what proof is there that "recent college grad singles" are that important? What is "a solid portion"? You fit that pattern, and so did I when I was more recent and single than I am now. But what's really the core of the team's support? I think it is broader than you suggest.

To relate this back to the Pacers, I don't think you can blame the city or the people for poor attendance.

It is the product.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Seth, can you prove any of that? The Indianapolis economy is actually better than any in the midwest except Minneapolis -- much better than Cleveland or Detroit or Milwaukee. I can do a ranking of NBA cities by just about any economic criteria you name, but its not worthy to say "this is a city with a poor economy." Indianapolis ranks low in nominal income, but very high in discretionary income thanks to our low housing costs.
    Was your omission of Chicago on purpose? Chicago Economy

Sidenote: I think with the "braindrain" of college graduates leaving the state, there is also a beautydrain, which is a compounding problem. I don't have figures to back this up right now, but I know the figures in LA are pleasing to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    Was your omission of Chicago on purpose? Chicago Economy

Sidenote: I think with the "braindrain" of college graduates leaving the state, there is also a beautydrain, which is a compounding problem. I don't have figures to back this up right now, but I know the figures in LA are pleasing to the eye.
    Chicago is way, way bigger and has lots, lots more wealth. But its economy is not growing or modernizing faster than Indianapolis. (It takes longer to turn a battleship than a speedboat). The following link identifies Indianapolis as the only large midwestern city to exceed the economic projection of the Chicago Fed from 2000 to 2005.

http://www.chicagofed.org/publicatio...ly2006_228.pdf

I don't want to turn this post-game thread into a chamber of commerce pitch. But its not right to say poor attendance at Pacers games is the result of a weak local economy.

I defer to your judgment about the beauty drain. I married a girl from Connecticut.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    To relate this back to the Pacers, I don't think you can blame the city or the people for poor attendance.

It is the product.

I think you can blame the city and people.

All you have to do is look at entertainment in general. I wish it wasn't this way, but people in Indy don't want to spend money on entertainment, especially in relation to other cities. The Colts have put quality product on the field since 1999 and still had trouble selling out games until last year.

I can go on and on about music, but that's a sore spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post

Did you go to NC?

The crowd last night really got my attention. At first I thought a snow storm might be hitting Indy. I guess it was just a Hawks game on a Tuesday. fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    Injuries and the Hawks lack of intensity really showed in this game. JO was really hurting, JT wrenched his back early, and Foster was dead tired. We were probably ripe for a big 1st half deficit but I guess the Hawks matched us with Lue/Williams/Childress injuries, and Joe Johnson's flu. It looked more like the back end of a back to back for both teams instead of the 1st. The Hawks shut it down early in that game when they couldn't answer a few of our runs. >>
    >>
    JT and Jax did look to distribute more last night, but I think JT's back had more to do with his deferrals than anything else. JT normally would have shot more last night with JO hurting and Foster unable to finish. But he left that up to Al and Granger. >>