Thread: Anyone ever buy a laptop off EBay?

Default Anyone ever buy a laptop off EBay?

I keep hearing how there's such a mark-up @ retail stores, that maybe buying off EBay is a way to get a cheaper price, so I kinda doing some research about it. I want to get an inexpensive laptop for HTML coding, using the web, but powerful enough to play a game or two. I'm not looking for top of the line, just something to play around with. My desktops can do all the heavy lifting for me.

My wife is freaking about warranties, buying a refurbished, etc. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Default Re: Anyone ever buy a laptop off EBay?

You have to be pretty careful about overspending. Know exactly what model you want, how much you are willing to pay, and DON'T go over that. Also, and this is very important, know what the same laptop costs NEW.

I occasionally check and see what it would cost to get another of the same laptop that I have, and I constantly see them way, way overpriced. You might be able to snag a deal, but you'll have to work pretty hard at it.

Watch the deal sites, like http://www.slickdeals.net/ Sometimes Dell (for example) will have a pretty good deal going.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i don't trust electronics on eBay...just cant do it. however i DO trust sites like www.tigerdirect.com ive bought many things from them and haven't had one single problem with any of their products they sell.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

There are more then a few snags with buying hardware (laptops in particular) form ebay, not sure if you want to go that route.

No idea about pricing n the US, but here pricing between wholesale and (cut-throat) high-street are almost comparable, if I make 3% the on the sale of a notebook I do extremely well, usually however it is just a loss-leader.

Go for a few bucks more, full warranty (preferably a high-street shop you can go back to) and a "core duo" processor, and you're set for the next 3- 5 years.

Acer, good Q for Price is a nice one, don't buy Dell, as with all "online" sales, warranty means sending, losing everything on the disk and a long wait.
    I am happy with my Toshiba, but then again, whatever I buy is warranted off fact through my wholeseller so I never have a problem (only once, with a Sony, last one I bought and sold)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I REALLY appreciate the comments, guys. I guess part of my problem is that due to various circumstances, I have FIVE PCs in the house (I only use two of them), so I feel this immense guilt in paying full boat for yet ANOTHER computer in the house. My justification has been 'well, I'll buy a refurbished/used/whatever off the net for as inexpensively as I can, so I don't look so selfish."

I'm thinking maybe I need to just look for something nice. doug and aero, Ill check out those sites.

able, thanks for reminding me about Dell, I forgot about them having you send the item back to them. As for Acer, I had a really bad exprerience with them, let along their foreign speaking tech staff, I vowed NEVER to buy one of their products again.

I've sued Toshiba's at work for years, so that's a possibility and one of my current desktops is a Vaio and I LOVE it, so I wouldn't mind getting one of their products....but I know they are pretty pricey.

Thanks a bunch for the guidance, guys. Keep the comments coming if you have any more advice.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

What kind of price are you looking for?

I've got a pretty good Compaq Presario 2103US w/ wireless I'll sell you. Runs great, has extra RAM, and I've replaced the DVD drive. Haven't run Windows on it recently, but it runs Ubuntu great.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

I had a Toshiba laptop. It was built about as well as the Big Dig here in Boston.

Although, if it were made out of styrofoam and dead bodies, it probably would have worked better.
    Narf!

I think that Dell has "at home" service now.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a Toshiba laptop. It was built about as well as the Big Dig here in Boston.

Although, if it were made out of styrofoam and dead bodies, it probably would have worked better.
    How are you faring with that btw ?

I spoke to a Tosh rep here and he said that 1 serious (non threatening) letter to their PR department could do more then little wonders.

He also said that the machine is most likeley "grey market" and for that reason you are the "victim" here.

I had one failure on a machine I sold here last month, and got an advance replacement next day, but who knows, I had "horrible" experiences with Sony (like 9 months to repair/replace a 3 month old machine of which the screen stopped working and they tried for 8 months to blame me of "dropping the machine" (until I proved beyond any doubt that a scratch on the top cover was not the result of a drop but of a buckle in the bag.

It then only took them one month to admit they lost my machine completely
    Suffice to say that when I got it back the P4 2.4 wasn't the "hottest" thing out there anymore.

(besides it being replace 2 days into the "repair" as I can not do without a notebook.)

I quit on it a while ago and just went ahead and bought another computer. And now I have to buy another laptop in August for law school. At least I'm buying that one with loan money!

Good memory, though.

Might as well start soliciting opinions on the new laptop now. I need something very lightweight (have to lug it around everywhere) that will last me 3 years and not cost 3 grand. I'm a bit of a computer snob, so I want a top of the line model. I get good discounts from most places at any of the schools I'm applying, but half of them won't let me use an Apple because the exam software they use doesn't work well with it.
    Narf!

You can run Winblows on a Mac nowadays, nicest is a 100Gb HDD and dual OS machine

any Core 2 Duo will do mate, take the fastest you can afford, just by from a rep place and avoid the "common foes"

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    What kind of price are you looking for?

I've got a pretty good Compaq Presario 2103US w/ wireless I'll sell you. Runs great, has extra RAM, and I've replaced the DVD drive. Haven't run Windows on it recently, but it runs Ubuntu great.
    I dunno how much I want to spend, since I'm rethinking things now and am thinking of getting something more up to date. I just know I absolutely won't go over $1000. I have never heard of Ubunu. I had to wikipedia it. Interesting.

My problem is that I know more than the average, on the street, user about computers, so I don't want to settle, but i don'[t want to spend a lot of money.

able, I had the same type of crap happen with HP. Took them 8 months to finally admit they not only didn't know what was wrong (Uh..the hard drive...uh, no it's...), I finally figured out that they lost it and with the money they gave me for it's loss, I got a Vaio PCV-RS430G, which I have been VERY happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    You can run Winblows on a Mac nowadays, nicest is a 100Gb HDD and dual OS machine

any Core 2 Duo will do mate, take the fastest you can afford, just by from a rep place and avoid the "common foes"
    Oh, I know. But they fail you if you use a Mac on the exams. And 95% of the exams are in class, so it's tough to hide.
    Narf!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Skaut.......I bought a HP Pavillion at FRY's Electronics (96th street notheast side) for about $750.00 before rebates 15" widescreen HP dv5210 512 mb, 60 gig, HDD: DVD-RW, 802.11 b/g with XP Home Edition. And I got $80.00 worth of rebates for it. Had it since August and have really liked it. My only problem is I keep killing my wireless mouse. I Just bought my 3rd for this NOTEBOOK. Don't dare use the term laptop up there, they are snobs about that. Check them out, I like them for a "boxed" store.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Skaut.......I bought a HP Pavillion at FRY's Electronics (96th street notheast side) for about $750.00 before rebates 15" widescreen HP dv5210 512 mb, 60 gig, HDD: DVD-RW, 802.11 b/g with XP Home Edition. And I got $80.00 worth of rebates for it. Had it since August and have really liked it. My only problem is I keep killing my wireless mouse. I Just bought my 3rd for this NOTEBOOK. Don't dare use the term laptop up there, they are snobs about that. Check them out, I like them for a "boxed" store.
    Thanks. geez. I'd actually forgotten about Fry's. I tend to get my absolute best deals there, but I don't drive past it, or see ads, so I always forget about them. I think that's one of the few stores I may go and window shop at. Can't believe I forgot about them. That's the kind of deal I think I'm looking for,

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Thanks. geez. I'd actually forgotten about Fry's. I tend to get my absolute best deals there, but I don't drive past it, or see ads, so I always forget about them. I think that's one of the few stores I may go and window shop at. Can't believe I forgot about them. That's the kind of deal I think I'm looking for,

Just note that this was NOT dual core.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't buy anything that expensive on Ebay unless there was no other alternative.

Of course, no matter where I buy my stuff I seem to get screwed, so...

P.S. Toshiba sucks.

Leisure Suit Larry

I can tell you that retail stores do not mark them up very much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    I dunno how much I want to spend, since I'm rethinking things now and am thinking of getting something more up to date. I just know I absolutely won't go over $1000.
    Shouldn't be a problem to buy new, then. You can get a pretty nice Dell E1505 for under $900, not including any discounts or coupons.

And by "pretty nice" I mean Core Duo, gig of RAM, DVD burner, battery upgrade, wireless, and nice 15" widescreen LCD. Not shabby.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!