Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where in the world is Sarunas Jasikevicius?

Default Where in the world is Sarunas Jasikevicius?

What's been going on with Sarunas? Has he been playing well enough to ignore or have we simply given up on him? No one seems to be mentioning him in their post-game threads, and I was just wondering what the guy has been up to...I mean, I read the box scores after every game but as you all know it doesn't tell the full story...

Also would to put out an APB for David Harrison. I'd imagine it would be difficult to lose a guy of his height and build, but I haven't heard or seen him since last year.

(Please note: I live outside the state and cannot watch most of the games)

Oh yeah, and "do it Rockapella!"

Default Re: Where in the world is Sarunas Jasikevicius?

Harrison has had a shoulder injury.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Carlisle is the worst coach in the league for Sarunas, we all know this guy can be a hooper if he has his teams confidence in him. He doesn't have a well defined role so he doesn't produce, pretty simple.

I hope we trade him, he would be the ultimate steve nash back up PG in phoenix.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

if sarus was on a team like the Spurs, Suns, Mavs he would do awesome but he just isnt working out here due to the coaching style of rick. plain and simple.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carlisle is the worst coach in the league for Sarunas, we all know this guy can be a hooper if he has his teams confidence in him.
    Is it the team's responsibility to have confidence in the player, or the player's responsibility to earn the confidence of his team?

The truth is somewhere in between, probably.

If the team doesn't have confidence in Sarunas, then a valid question is "why not?"

I'm not convinced this is all Rick's fault.

Is Sarunas suddenly going to discover that he has the ability to bring the ball up the floor under pressure if he was on the Spurs or the Suns or whoever?

What role should Sarunas have?

Point guard? He's a great passer, with great court vision. But he has several significant flaws in his game to play PG. Ball-handling, for one. The footspeed to prevent an opposing PG from penetrating for another.

I think this "lack of a defined role" stuff is Rick trying to cover for Sarunas' ball-handling and defensive weakness.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Is it the team's responsibility to have confidence in the player, or the player's responsibility to earn the confidence of his team?

The truth is somewhere in between, probably.

If the team doesn't have confidence in Sarunas, then a valid question is "why not?"

I'm not convinced this is all Rick's fault.

Is Sarunas suddenly going to discover that he has the ability to bring the ball up the floor under pressure if he was on the Spurs or the Suns or whoever?

What role should Sarunas have?

Point guard? He's a great passer, with great court vision. But he has several significant flaws in his game to play PG. Ball-handling, for one. The footspeed to prevent an opposing PG from penetrating for another.

I think this "lack of a defined role" stuff is Rick trying to cover for Sarunas' ball-handling and defensive weakness.
    That's where the 2-guard offense comes in play. If you couple him with Daniels they complement eachother perfectly. Why Carlisle doesn't go for this solution? Maybe because this will cause a riot in the lockerroom, as Tinsley and Jackson (and maybe their friends Al & JO) won't take their demotion.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Sarunus and what he can do, however he does not fit in here. He wants to take charge when he is on the floor, but that takes cooperation with your teamates and they haven't seemed to go out of their way to accept him. We need a floor leader at the point but he's not the guy with our current roster. I think he is probably used to being in charge on the court in Europe and that doesn't fly over here in the NBA world. I truly hope they trade him to a team that will use his skillset to their advantage. Please don't misunderstand me. I am a die hard Pacers fan and always will
    be. I wish him well, whatever team he plays on. I do hope things can change for him here, but I'm doubtful.

The David Harrison question has been answered as far as his absence. My question concerning him would be: 1) what's the ETA on his return; and, 2) will his return be in sufficient time for him to fit into the mix?

As for Sarunas, I think a player's confidence comes from within and without. It starts with the player, but it only remains high if the coaches and his teammates trust in his abilities to get the job done.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to watch just about every game since mid-November and what I've noticed of late is the only players who seem to trust Sarunas on the court are Armstrong, Baston, and JO. Sarunas will find them and/or they will find him whenever fastbreak opportunities are there. But that's the key; the Pacers haven't utilized an uptempo offense often. They've gone more to their half-court/post-up sets which might explain why we're not seeing Sarunas on the floor nor that often, as well as why his productivity has fallen off. He's a runner. He loves getting up and down on the court. But when you slow it down and put him against PGs where he has to focus alot more on the defensive end...well, we all know how that goes. And that's unfortunate because I thought Sarunas' defense had gotten better.

Bottom line is it's a combination of both - having confidence in yourself and your supporting staff (coaches and your teammates) also having confidence in your. The question now becomes two-fold:

1. With RC's wanting to focus more on defense to help create more fastbreak opportunities, will we see less of Sarunas and more of Greene who is believed to be a stronger on-the-ball defender?

2. Will we see a trade by the Break that may involve moving Sarunas + others in favor of ...?... for the sake of improved defense? Perimeter shooting? Interior defense? Who knows...

Of course, one other thing to consider is perhaps Sarunas still doesn't fully understand or accept his role as a secondary PG and a fall-back SG. Now, I'll be honest, I've enjoyed watching him when paired with Armstrong and Baston. I like the chemistry between these three players alot. Moreover, I like that neither Armstrong nor Sarunas when paired seem to "demand" the PG duties. It's as if one or both reads the defense and the lightbulb goes off.

"You see that?"

"Yeah. Let's run this play."

"Ok...you get the next one."

"Aight. Let's do this!"

And off they go making things happen - together.

But once Sarunas is out there w/Al and Jax2 it's like they forget all about him. Can't tell you how many times I've seen Sarunas just waiting on the wing opposite Jax2 or Al and the ball never comes his way.

There's alot going on with that, but the bottom line is the "team" needs to incorporate Sarunas into the equation so that he can regain his shooting stroke. Or maybe he needs to rip a page from the headlines and pull an "Artest" and just take his approach to the game in another direction. ???

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    if sarus was on a team like the Spurs, Suns, Mavs he would do awesome but he just isnt working out here due to the coaching style of rick. plain and simple.
    The Spurs have a small Euro PG who's shot is inconsistent, doesn't slash particularly well, and can't handle on the ball pressure and they stopped using him last year just like Rick keeps ignoring Saras.

Dallas plays isolation basketball so he wouldn't work there.

The Suns might be able to use him since they wouldn't care about his D and the running style would keep pressure off his dribbling up court, but he's not playing ahead of Barbosa on anyone's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    Carlisle is the worst coach in the league for Sarunas, we all know this guy can be a hooper if he has his teams confidence in him. He doesn't have a well defined role so he doesn't produce, pretty simple.

I hope we trade him, he would be the ultimate steve nash back up PG in phoenix.
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

clearly, the fast paced style would HIDE his ball handling deficiencies

but

could you imagine this PLODDER in an UPTEMPO game

It'd consistently be 4 on 5 when he's on the court

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    The Spurs have a small Euro PG who's shot is inconsistent, doesn't slash particularly well, and can't handle on the ball pressure and they stopped using him last year just like Rick keeps ignoring Saras.
    Gosh.. You just compared Udrich with Saras.. I've seen a lot of both.. this is a horrible comparison. They both lack in ball handling, but Saras can also pull offensive play that Udrich wouldn't even dream of.

This is what Saras said to hoopsworld today:
    "It has been up and down. One game I play 30 minutes, other game I play 10 minutes, then I don't even get in the game. I have no consistency, I don't know what to expect before tip-off. This is very frustrating, probably the toughest thing I had ever done in my career. It does not matter what I do, what kind of game I am playing and what condition I am in."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/global/article_20267.shtml

Seems to me Rick and Saras are pretty much done.

I see a post still harping on Runi's inability to bring the ball up the court. This has not been a problem for him this year. Last year he was hung out to dry when no one stayed back for a relief pass if he was double-teamed.

Also, defensively, he is a helluva lot better staying in front of his man. His lateral movement has improved greatly. His defense is better than that of TInsley's.

The biggest problem that I can see, (I've watched the majority of the games) is that some of the other players are freezing him out. They will only pass the ball to him when it's the last resort. JO is good at including Runi because he knows he'll be the recipient of a good pass back. Next game, watch when the ball is brought up the court, almost invariably the ball is swung to the opposite side of Runi, even if he is open. It is the other guard/s that usually are guilty of this. RC should have the 'nads to put a screeching halt to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    Also, defensively, he is a helluva lot better staying in front of his man. His lateral movement has improved greatly. His defense is better than that of TInsley's.

*cough* *cough*

V Dallas: 1.13 minutes and -6
    3 times in a row burned on D and out he went, he's still lost on D, worse then JT and does not have the "quick" hands to somewhat compensate for it.

Add to that the fact that his shot seems to be "off" again as well and oh well, might as well add that he's just as Tins, not Rick's "type" of PG.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post

This is what Saras said to hoopsworld today:
    "It has been up and down. One game I play 30 minutes, other game I play 10 minutes, then I don't even get in the game. I have no consistency, I don't know what to expect before tip-off. This is very frustrating, probably the toughest thing I had ever done in my career. It does not matter what I do, what kind of game I am playing and what condition I am in."
    Ohh yes it does matter Saras. You went in against Detroit, they pressed and you still couldn't handle it. You are a bad defender, Tins isnt that good either but Tinsley gets his hands on balls and gets steals, you do neither. You are one of the most inconsistent shooters on our team, along with Jackson. One game you will shoot good and play 30 minutes the next game you will shoot like crap and you want play more then 10. Thats how it goes.

Dont place blame on other people for your problems, its not Rick's fault you are not made out for the NBA.

Here, we go again. This post was meant to discuss what has happened with Sarunas and why he isn't used as he should be (just like the beginning of the season). Wh in the world do posters, and even a mod(!) need to start this thread into a bashing game. Has no one of you learned of Pecks' post?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    Here, we go again. This post was meant to discuss what has happened with Sarunas and why he isn't used as he should be (just like the beginning of the season). Wh in the world do posters, and even a mod(!) need to start this thread into a bashing game. Has no one of you learned of Pecks' post?
    I just told you why he isnt being used as he should be.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    Seems to me Rick and Saras are pretty much done.
    let's hope they are and Saras will be traded (but I wouldn't bet money on this ). in the begining of the season one could be fooled by how Sarunas was used, but, as we can see now, little has changed from last year. it's almost time wasted in the Pacers for Saras (and money wasted for the Pacers). it's becoming clear now that there were no rookie walls for him last year (just like we don't see any for his former teammate Parker or Garbajosa (both in Torronto)).. it's just plain sad that Indiana is such a... predictable team.. nothing out of the ordinary, no will to change whatsoever. they seem to have the potential, but the end result is dissapointment. Bird is not as good a manager as he seemed or he hasn't got enough power there (imho, of course).. Saras is not helping this team win.. and even if seeting him would result in victories - that would be fine. but it's practically the same inconsistent ***** no matter if he plays or not

and yeah, comparing Udrih with Saras is like comparing Anthony Johnson with Jason Kidd. both are American PGs, you know..

I agree with Doug on the Saras issue. But let me add something. It is less about "bringing the ball up" than it is IMO about once he has the ball across midcourt. That is when teams pressure him (by that I mean his defender gets up into him - they don't need to double) and he either has to make a risky pass just to start the offense or he is slow in starting the offense.

Therefore what Rick has done is two things. He plays him with JT or DA and allows Saras to either run off picks (something totally new this season- this has allowed him to get some open 15-18 jumpers which he's very good at) or he puts him in pick and roll situations in the middle of the play.

I'll repeat what I've said for well over a year now. You cannot just give Saras the ball and tell him to "run the offense, this is your team"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    Ohh yes it does matter Saras. You went in against Detroit, they pressed and you still couldn't handle it. You are a bad defender, Tins isnt that good either but Tinsley gets his hands on balls and gets steals, you do neither. You are one of the most inconsistent shooters on our team, along with Jackson. One game you will shoot good and play 30 minutes the next game you will shoot like crap and you want play more then 10. Thats how it goes.

Dont place blame on other people for your problems, its not Rick's fault you are not made out for the NBA.
    I'm not here to defend Saranus and I don't think he is the second coming, but to a certain extent he is right. Now ask yourself if JO or Jack were jerked around with the playing time like he is if they could get on track? If Jack or JO or Al were pulled every time that they missed a shot or had a TO or didn't block out, they would never see the floor. BTW JO is not God and I do find that offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    I discussed exactly what has happened with him:

1: he's still bad on D, showed it v Dallas and got pulled, v Charlotte btw he played 15 minutes, but obviously did not make much of an impact so you might have missed him
    2: Rick obviously has a problem with how he plays
    3: His shot is not falling, so he brings little or no threat on offense

Bashing is saying he is bad without a foundation to my arguments, I think I gave them (the arguments to make my foundation) correctly in my first post.

Being an Admin does not mean I have no opinion on the team.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by ALF68 View Post
    I'm not here to defend Saranus and I don't think he is the second coming, but to a certain extent he is right. Now ask yourself if JO or Jack were jerked around with the playing time like he is if they could get on track? If Jack or JO or Al were pulled every time that they missed a shot or had a TO or didn't block out, they would never see the floor. BTW JO is not God and I do find that offensive.
    I agree completely with you ALF68, and I think the majority of the posters here do too.

Quote Originally Posted by ALF68 View Post
    K, thanks.

Barring injuries, it's safe to say he's never gonna get 25+ minutes a night. It should be noted that's he's losing his minutes for the second year in a row to a fairly unlikely canidate. While some of his longtime fans have pointed out his greatest strength isn't his shooting, that's how he was billed as far as I remember. He currently sits last on the shooting percentage totem pole( I'm not counting Greene & Powell). Wasn't his role clearly defined when he arrived? I thought he was supposed to give us a shooter with a winning attitude who'd helped lead his teams to championships overseas. What we've actually seen from him is lowly shooting percentages, griping to the media, an apparent inability to connect with the other players and a sub 2 to 1 ast/to ratio. His defensive liabilities were expected. While four million dollars isn't that great a sum in todays NBA, you can bet Carlisle feels pressure to play the guy and it would be alot easier if he could produce. Since Bird came back into the picture the Pacers have been a disaster and with a management change looming poor decisions are stacking up against Larry. I think many fans are really supportive of Jasikevicous , unfortunately Armstrong has brought alot of what Runi was supposed to bring and Tinsley has remained healthy. I think at a certain point a player in his position is responsible for carving out his own role much like AJ,Baston,Woody,Crosh and AD did before him. The Pacers are no longer in a position where they can write off roster spots, money and other resources so the notion that Carlisle just doesn't like him....doesn't make sense to me.

Reggie4THREE!!!

Runi probably is not the best fit with the way the Pacers are playing right now. Carlise has apparently gone back to the plodding 1/2 court offense, slow paced game. It's what he's comfortable with. It probably suits our roster better. Runi and JT both probably prefer a more uptempo free flowing style. Both are more effective when they are given a chance to make plays with the basketball off the dribble instead of having to make one pass and then run into a corner. I haven't seen alot of games this season, but according to what I have read Carlise feels our best chance to win is running everything through JO. In that case our 1's play a minimal role. All they do is bring the ball up and space the court and shoot when JO is double teamed or when left open on defensive rotations. JT and Saras are not particularly good fits for our style of play. Actually the best 1 for us the way we play right now is someone like Damon Jones. You laugh, Damon Jones?, well look at last years champs. Other then D Wade you've got a roster full of players with major holes in certain areas of their games, but you had a coach who new how to put it all together and the CHEMISTRY was there. I'm not sure if this years Pacers have that.

LET ME PUT IT SIMPLY OTHER THEN JO EVERY SINGLE PACER ON THE ROSTER IS UNDERACHIEVING.

I think quotes like we heard from Al, Saras in the last days are bad signs. They are basically saying - we don't understand where we fit in the offensive scheme. We have no defined role. We live and die by improvisation. By taking what we can grab, and not by team play (i.e. having others play for us).

There is great talent in this Pacers roster. If they were just brought to play for each other...