Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: My fellow Pacers Digest members.....

Default Re: My fellow Pacers Digest members.....

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry if I sounded as if I were "Insisting" that was not my intent. I was trying to offer what I considered a compromise solution.
    BTW, as one of the originals here, I'm betting I've had more threads moved off the main board than anyone here.
    and...the RATS site instituted a minumum character count some time back. It didn't take long for the posters to figure out how to get around it ....but that dern 90 seconds between post rule........
    Actually, I thought your move towards a compromising solution was commendable. I brought it up as it was the most recent issue of that sort that I could remember.

One issue that intrigues me is the "Boyle" issue. I wonder how Bird, Walsh, Carlisle, O'Neal, Kravitz, Smits, Jordan, Manning, Clinton or Bush would respond to the grievous insult of being referred to by their last name? If this exchange was in a thread somewhere in the past, could someone please provide a link?

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    I wonder how Bird, Walsh, Carlisle, O'Neal, Kravitz, Smits, Jordan, Manning, Clinton or Bush would respond to the grievous insult of being referred to by their last name?
    I wonder how Bobby Knight would react to being called "Knight".......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Touché. Different on the internet though. Much tougher to grab Kent Harvery through the messageboard when he says "Hey Knight, what's up?". Tough to gauge tone and body language through text. Also, if "The General" wants to stop reading, or put him on ignore, he is able.

I'd happily refer to our president as "W" and call the pope "Joey Ratz". This is the internet, and it is the new Rome. (When in Rome...)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Ya beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by maragin
    Also, if "The General" wants to stop reading, or put him on ignore, he is able.
    You mean our forum moderator is the winningest coach in NCAA Div 1 history? Hmmm.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Quick suggestion:

In game threads, only talk about the performances in that specific game.

Example:

Yes - "Jamaal Tinsley really shot the ball well today."
    No - "But Jamaal Tinsley is a terrible shooter for his career."

In non-game-specific threads, only talk about the long term performance of a player, not their performance in the most recent game.

Examples:

Yes - "Stephen Jackson hasn't been turning the ball over as much this season."
    Yes - "Stephen Jackson has only averaged 0.7 turnovers a game in the last 5 games."
    No - "But SJax turned the ball over 5 times last game. How can he be 'taking care of the ball'?"

This might seem like a weird rule, but I've noticed that at least half of the excesively negative fights have occured when a poster dismisses a good game with a long term trend or a long term trend with a bad game.
    At the same time, if you start putting TOO many stipulations on a forum then you find yourself a very lonely admin. I think it's a double edged sword regardless of how you change things. I think the MODS should just continue to do what they're doing and we all need to move on. It's a forum guys. It's not something in our lives that we can't do without if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    Touché. Different on the internet though. Much tougher to grab Kent Harvery through the messageboard when he says "Hey Knight, what's up?". Tough to gauge tone and body language through text. Also, if "The General" wants to stop reading, or put him on ignore, he is able.

I'd happily refer to our president as "W" and call the pope "Joey Ratz". This is the internet, and it is the new Rome. (When in Rome...)
    whlst this is "off topic" I want to react, talking about someone in that form as in "Bush was rather out of line with his last 125 decisions" is a totally different beast compared to addressing him personal with "oye Bush"

I remember that when I was in school addressing a person by their last name was A plain rude and B spelled trouble.

Those rules of civilized conversation are valid here and in real life.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    I remember that when I was in school addressing a person by their last name was A plain rude and B spelled trouble.

Those rules of civilized conversation are valid here and in real life.

Right. And the reason we are discussing Mark Boyle here is that he is one of the few (if not the only) member whose name is known. The rest of us have signed up with user names, inviting others to address us as "Putnam" or whatever. On this forum, I call various members "Fool" and "Redneck" and "Knucklehead." I would never call them that to their faces, but in this special forum it is OK.

But MBoyle1313 is a public figure whose actual name is known to us.

The point is not that he requires special courtesy, but that he is one case where we have the opportunity to show the ordinary courtesy we should show everyone.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I personally don't think anyone should have used Mark Boyle's name. Maybe he didn't want it known that he visited this forum

With a handle like MBoyle1313? I'm pretty sure he was fine with people figuring out it was the real him. Hell I'd be surprised if his first post didn't explicitly say it was him.

[Edit: Just did a username search. He signed his first post, which was in a thread about him btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I personally don't think anyone should have used Mark Boyle's name. Maybe he didn't want it known that he visited this forum

So he uses MBoyle as his name?

So does Mark Boyle not frequent here any longer?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

agree completely with the Mr. Boyle concern about calling him "Mr." Personally, I would call Hicks Mr. XXXX if he wanted his last name to be on this board, along with another other admin no matter what age. The "elder" posters would get just as much respect from me.

It is because of who he is, but alot of it has to do with the fact we KNOW who it is. (For a lack of a better example) I wouldn't call harddrive7, Mr. Harddrive7, because that's not really "him" as a person. It's his persona.

On the VA issue about double standards: If you really want an example, I'm sure there is something in the 'shoutbox' or even the 'feedback' section. There has been quite a few times where he's just "disappeared" until someone points out a thread where he and the admin didn't see eye to eye.

On the overall level of the board: I'm started to say it several times in different threads and didn't feel it was warranted or would lead to something bigger which I didn't want to start/get into, but I think the overall level of discussion has dropped WAY down and not just because of new posters but from old ones as well.

I'll use Kstat as an example, because he's one that I've been wondering what happened. It's no secret we don't agree on much, but because it was a disagreeing view point on a bunch of levels it fostered more discussions. I don't know why, and I really do care, but he's dropped off. I wish he would come back to the level when I came here. I'm not trying to pick on him, because I think the whole board is under the same description, he's just the one that popped into my mind.

It just seems like if you read one thread, you've read them all. They're all redundant, and everyone uses the same opinion in them. We used to have some seriously long threads and cover things from A-to-Z, that used to take all day to read. Now I skip half of them. In a way, I wish $assan would come back because he could make those interesting threads, too bad they were interesting for the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7 View Post
    I think the MODS should just continue to do what they're doing and we all need to move on. It's a forum guys. It's not something in our lives that we can't do without if need be.

For the record, this is a thread that a MOD started, and he specifically asked for suggestions.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

OK - I'll throw in my two cents.

I've commented several times that this has been a very off year for me.

This summer, I didn't care much about the moves that the team was making. That doesn't mean that I didn't like them, it's that I didn't pay attention. I finally snapped out of it after reading the Fanjam reports. Well, we all know what happened after that (Babes, Blunts, Bentleys and Bullets). (EDIT: or was that before? I don't know.)

Place me firmly in the "used to contribute, but don't anymore" category. It's weird that I haven't seen too many games this season, I mean it's been over 20 years of following this team and I paid for league pass and sirius radio (just so I could listen to games in the car) and everything and all of it just sits there. I don't even know what the team's record is.

Every time I open the forum, it seems like another article about how so-and-so is frustrated with the team. This makes me roll my eyes. I've built several projects from the ground up, and holy crap you can't expect instant success. You have to work hard and stay positive and work some more. More to the point, you have to take your lumps. After getting really emotional after the Rio thing, I've decided that I just need to sit back and let things get worked out.

I mentioned to my wife that I was a little concerned about losing interest in the Pacers and her reply was perfect: "It's OK if you have an off year."

My last off year was 2001-2002. I just figure I was due. I'm sure that there are many new posters that don't even recognize my screen name, and that's fine.

I guess I can sum up and just say that my lack of meaningful contribution has been more the result of the team (and a new hobby) than the state of the board.

On a side note, I got tix to the Clippers game at Staples for Christmas, so maybe that will get me going just in time for a playoff series (hope will never die).
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

For the record, this is a thread that a MOD started, and he specifically asked for suggestions.

I understand that, but let's not get too nuts here. There may need to be minor tweaks but the bottom line is that the MODS are doing a decent job. Lets just move on.

I understand that, but let's not get too nuts here. There may need to be minor tweaks but the bottom line is that the MODS are doing a decent job. That's how they live their lives, lets just move on.
    Which brings me to my first real request. Each thread must contain atleast one reference to our dearly departed Earl.

And if you don't know who Earl is, then may God have rest on your soul. (Just kidding, but you really should do a search, or if you can't find it ask me and I'll find it. It's worth the reading time, and it will instantly brighten your day!)

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Which brings me to my first real request. Each thread must contain atleast one reference to our dearly departed Earl.

And if you don't know who Earl is, then may God have rest on your soul. (Just kidding, but you really should do a search, or if you can't find it ask me and I'll find it. It's worth the reading time, and it will instantly brighten your day!)

I tried to find it, but I didn't have enough to go on. Can you find it?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I tried to find it, but I didn't have enough to go on. Can you find it?
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12377
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Post 141 is really where the good stuff is. I think that's the best post of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

I was wondering when someone would get that.

He was online today about 3 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    He was online today about 3 p.m.

Good, I was just wanting to make for certain that we didn't run him off. People have to understand that regardless of what this forum brings to us individually, It's still just a message board. When we're are lucky enough to get some inside info that is pertinent to what we do here, we should respect that as well as act accordingly.

We need to show the respect that Mr. Boyle deserves.

Since the subject has been breached, would calling him Mark be copasetic? I don't use formal titles in everyday conversation.

For the record... my recollection (and it certainly could be wrong)... was that Mr. Mark Boyle himself said he preferred Mr. Boyle. I'll certainly grant him that respect and honor his wishes. You could arguably find fault in certain areas with the Pacers over the years but Mr. Boyle's role is not one of them IMHO. He's certainly earned the right to be addressed with that title... or however he wants. His on-air performance is top shelf stuff and his input here always appreciated by me.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

He posted in my recent thread regarding marketing (and I've already forgotten the title of the thread). The thread led to a side topic regarding the call-in show and he provided some info about that and an issue that was raised (by me) regarding call screening. (And to save anyone time to see what I'm talking about)- He basically told us the calls are screened but it is more so they know the topics to be addressed, not to weed out tough questions.

He implied a thought provoking question, hard or not, would be appreciated... maybe even leapfrog some less informative questions.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden