Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

My fellow Pacers Digest members.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My fellow Pacers Digest members.....

Anyone keeping track of how often this thread is made? I swear I never saw one the first ... 2 years I visited this place. Now, its like every 4-6 months.

And post minimums are silly, IMO. I welcome brevity.

Comment

Originally posted by Peck View Post
      No, not everybody is going to take the time to write out long well thought after post every time they hit submit. But the one line zingers and the QFT things have got to go.
      Peck

I think we can all agree when we see who is using one liners to spam and who is using QFT to basically agree with the post.

As long as no one is spamming, I honestly don't see a reason why one liners should be obsolete

Comment

As long as everyone here remains a loyal and civil Pacers fan, we have nothing to worry about. The majority of posters appreciate other viewpoints and simply do not hold generalizations, which makes for some of the best basketball-related discussions. There ain't anything wrong here, there are simply a lot of strong personalities with loyalty to their team and their favorite player(s).

Comment

I think the forum has broken into two camps with some straddling the fence. Camp 1 is more about fans of team basketball first and foremost.
          Camp 2 is more about fans of individuals on the team first and foremost.

The two can coexist nicely when things are going good. It gets more complicated when things are going bad. People in camp #1 who want to discuss what is wrong with the team have to wade thru a minefield for fear of setting off someone from camp #2 who feels their favorite has been dissed.

And as someone said, the people in camp #2 almost take it as a personal attack if their guy is in the crosshairs of a given post. It's hard to even have a "could it be?" discussion because the rebuttals are sometimes downright personal. Sometimes they simply sidetrack the point and derail the discussion. Sometimes someone reads more into the post than what the words are even saying/asking (which leads to more pointless sidetrack discussions and frustration).

And who has time for that type of thing? Whether a post is venting or hoping to hear an alternate theory or just wrap their head around a concept and see something differently, it's pretty certain nobody is wanting to argue over their level of 'hate' or 'fandom' when they made the initial post. Everyone is obviously fans of the team (or NBA) or they wouldn't be posting on a regular basis.

I'm not sure what can be done about it tho. But it's easier to post less and post more blandly, than to deal with the frustration... unfortunately.

-Bball
          Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

I started posting on Rats back in 2000, and while I seldom post, I've slowly moved to this forum. The trolls, and lack of moderation at Rats did it in for me, and now that they've moved on, I just don't find the quality posters over there anymore. I appreciate the fact that this forum exist, and I think the level of moderation is on target with what it should be. I have noticed a little more of the 1 line zingers you mention, and I suppose a warning to the posters for that behavior might be in order. With that said, I wouldn't want the job of moderation that Hicks, and Able take on. I like the game threads, and analyzing of articles. I wish I had more to add, but I think there's still more good things about this forum then bad.
            Why do teams tank? Ask a Spurs fan.

Comment

I've read this thread a couple of times and I don't know how to respond. A forum is only as good as the posters who post. Several of the really good posters have for whatever reason not posted as much as they used to. I don't know why. Probably a combination of 3 things. They don't like the team, they don't like the atmosphere of the forum or they have other things in their life that is taking up their time.

I know I used to post a lot more - maybe not more posts - but certainly more words - a greater number of longer posts and even more than that I used to start a lot more threads. Now I hardly ever start threads. I went back and looked at some of my threads I started in 2003 and 2004. When I read some of those I must admit I used to be a much better poster - I had more things to say, and more questions to ask.

I don't know why I've fallen off - the Artest thing took a lot out of me, things in my personal life are wearing on me - but I still love the Pacers and watch every Pacers game and I still enjoy reading and posting in this forum. But my energy level isn't what it used to be in regards to posting and I don't know if that will ever come back. I find it easier to just make short little posts in response to what someone else posts.

I do think that the quality of the forum has gone down - more than anything it is a natural progression of how things go in forums. As more and more people join in things change.

One thing I do know is that the more you post the more you post. No that isn't a typo (I don't even typo like I used to). What I mean is when you make a post you want to see who responds and more than likely you'll respond back. So one post leads to 2 or 3 posts. So post once and you'll likely post a handful of times - it feeds on itself.

As far as advise for the admins - I don't know what to suggest. I don't know what you guys can do except to post more often. A forum is only as good as its posters.

One last thing, I know I will on occasion - post things such as "I completely agree with you" posts when someone says something I agree with. I can certainly stop doing that

Comment

It is funny how my Internet uses have changed over time. I went through a time when it was all about dowloading music, and then for years I was really into instant messaging. Now I rarely engage in either one.

But one of the constants I have had is to visit this forum. I visit only 3 sites with regularity 1. My work E-mail, 2. My Personal E-mail, and 3. www.pacersdigest.com.

The problem is that I just don't stay on very long when I come. And I'm not so sure how much it is the posters or how much it is me being disenfranchised with the team. I'm sure I'll change, but right now I'm just not that into the Pacers. And in general, my watching of sports has went down. I used to be die hard watching IU B-ball, and I don't think I've seen a complete game this year.

I'm always attracted to the site b/c of the people. When I went to the last forum party, it wasn't to talk about the Pacers. Frankly I've just not cared one way or the other about them lately. I do enjoy engaging in the debates, being a part of the humor, and just the general camraderie of the group.

Maybe the Pacers will give us something to write about, but nothing is so boring to write about than mediocrity. Anyway,
                “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
                motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
                Reggie Miller

Comment

My intention was to make this post then just step back & read. But I feel as though I must clarify a statement.

When I was speaking of one line zinger & QFT posts I did not make my meaning very clear.

The QFT part is pretty self explanitory. If you feel that you must re-emphasize what someone has said then say so.

BTW, I am not speaking just for myself on this one. My fellow Amins. have a huge problem with the entire QFT issue. I think that it is often overused myself but if you give a reason why something is important then I don't see a problem, but then again if you did that you wouldn't be just doing a QFT post would you.

Now to the part that I really poorly wrote.

The one line zingers. I did not mean that you should not have one line posts in response to something.

The reason I threw zingers in there on purpose was that we don't want quick little blurbs just for the sake of rebuking, hazing, insulting, another poster.

So as an example if poster A says something along the lines of not being happy with Player (fill in the blank) then we do not want poster B making some quick glib comment about poster A.

We want to encourage discussion not take away from it.

So no, to those who are asking, you do not need to make long drawn out posts. That is counter productive as well. For that matter your posts don't even have to be any good, God knows most of mine are not.

However what we want to eliminate is the poster on poster hate.

Ok, back to reading.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
                    One last thing, I know I will on occasion - post things such as "I completely agree with you" posts when someone says something I agree with.
                    I think those are actually good. It gives everyone a good barometer on whether they are a lone loon or part of the silent majority and never even knew it.

It's always nice to know you're not just talking to yourself on here. I think the lack of support is sometimes part of the problem. A lack of noticable support encourages those throwing stones to throw more since they are emboldened in that they are in the majority... and by the same token it leaves the original poster thinking their opinion or topic isn't relevant.

Sometimes there's nothing else (necessarily) to say but it's nice to see that you've spoken for someone else too... or caused someone to look at something differently.

-Bball
                    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Bball View Post
                      I think those are actually good. It gives everyone a good barometer on whether they are a lone loon or part of the silent majority and never even knew it.

It's always nice to know you're not just talking to yourself on here. I think the lack of support is sometimes part of the problem. A lack of noticable support encourages those throwing stones to throw more since they are emboldened in that they are in the majority... and by the same token it leaves the original poster thinking their opinion or topic isn't relevant.

Sometimes there's nothing else (necessarily) to say but it's nice to see that you've spoken for someone else too... or caused someone to look at something differently.

-Bball
                      I agree with this 110%.

I know from time to time I had written a draft and just decided to keep a issue to myself.

As Peck just clarified, I dont think anyone should be regulated on how long posts have to be.

I dont want to go back quoting everyone in this thread, but UB, I really agree with your post as well. I know I enjoyed meeting all of you a few weeks back, and I really enjoyed speaking with you. I do think it would be great to see a lot of the old timers back posting more frequently, and you def. fall into that category.

Comment

I'll accept part of the blame and try to do better in the future.

I will no longer refer to any group as jock kissers or other such terms. I promise to be more civil and allow them to put a liplock on anyone's butt they want to. Uh, sorry...bad habit, but I can change I promise!

Seriously, I'll be more polite.
                        Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

Comment

As a semi-regular visitor here, I think I know what Peck is saying. We've encountered the same thing at Kingsfans.

Part of the problem is that some fans are instant gratification. Those are the ones I've noticed that are often so quick to bash players and anyone who doesn't agree with them...

One of the things I've always respected about PacersDigest is the quality of posters you guys have. I've watched the NBA for over 40 years and yet, more than I care to admit, I've learned something by reading some of your posts.

I don't want to step on any toes, but I think one thing to keep in mind is something Barack Obama said on the Tonight Show. When asked what he felt about some of the horrible things Democrats and Republicans had said to and about each other in the last election campaigns, Obama said, "We can disagree without being disagreeable."

I think that's what some newer people to message boards may not understand. The best boards aren't the ones where people go at each other no holds barred. They're the ones where people of differing opinions about the thing they all love - their favorite team - can respectfully and civilly discuss those opinions.

You guys have a great board here. I do have one question, however...

What's a QFT post?
                          NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

Comment

I,for one, have no problem with one line replies. It is those who have to swear in seemingly every other post. Examples (****,STFU, ETC.)It just shows immaturity imo.

I think if people would post after they cool down from a bad game before posting. The quality of posting might improve rather than posting in the heat of the moment JMO.

I just won't post much if at all. I'll just continue to browse most of the time.

P.S. Tanks to the forum administraters for being concerned about the problems rather than letting them escalate.

Comment

I think Pacerized has offered the best solution to a simple problem - warn those posters who do venture into "personal attack mode" and give them the boot if they fail to clean up their act and rise to the level of the standard of the board.

As Bball states, there are two camps: the X's and O's strategist and the team/player analyst/commentator. There will always be posters like UB, Naptown Seth and Thunderbird who are outstanding game strategist. Such regulars will always bring tons to the table and make this (and other Pacers forums) interesting to come to. However, we self-made sports analyst also have alot to say even if most of our commentary mainly covers the day-to-day performance of the team/player(s). I think it goes beyond a simple coexistence between the two camps. Frankly, both camps need each other for this forum to be a worthwhile place for fans to visit. The problem comes in when either one side feels superior to the other, or their is a lack of respect for another's point of view...those one-line zingers Bball speaks of.

The long and the short of it is the moderators should do what they feel is necessary to uphold the standards of the board. Give warnings where appropriate and ban those who don't adhere to standards. But above all, continue to provide an environment where both camps can exchange well conceived, thought provoking and respectful dialog. You do that and this forum will continue to thrive.

Comment

QFT is something I was really familiar with via AIM, and in hindsight it’s probably a better fit for AIM, but it stands for Quoted For Truth

Comment

Working...
                                X