Thread: jumpshot question

Default Re: jumpshot question

Taking contested jumpshots is a bad plan.

But...for the most part though, the jumpers that Tinsley, Freddie, and Ron have taken have been wide open because so much attention was focused on defending Jermaine.

Those are the types of shots I would yell about if they DIDN'T take.

You must make them defend the entire floor. Sure the first option is to go inside, but that option becomes more viable (rather than less) if you are sticking the "I dare you to take that shot" jumpers.

And I will never complain about Reggie taking ANY open jumper. My only very minor complaint is when Al or Jermaine settle for jumpers when they are just killing people in the paint. I don't even see that happening all that much anymore.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I am one who wants the Pacers to pound the ball inside every time. Free throws are so important.

But I think the Pacers have done a great job of going inside out in these playoffs. Third quarter Sat. night was perfect mix between postups, penetrations and jump shots.

You have to take some jumpshots from time to time, you just have to. I don't like anyone on the team besides Reggie to take any quick jumpshots, but if the ball goes inside first and then out, they have to take the shots.

sweabs

What about our tendency on the other end - playing defense and falling for all the pump fakes? I have noticed this a lot lately...we are getting to the defender late and falling for the pump fake, leaving them an open lane to drive or a wide open shot.

What about our tendency on the other end - playing defense and falling for all the pump fakes? I have noticed this a lot lately...we are getting to the defender late and falling for the pump fake, leaving them an open lane to drive or a wide open shot.
    yeah, I think Bender got cought against PP twice against Boston.
    Jon is really bad at that actually. I would expect it considering he hasn't exactly played all that much.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Artest is a master at not going for pump fakes, in fact I bet he went for fewer than 10 all season.

sweabs

Artest is a master at not going for pump fakes, in fact I bet he went for fewer than 10 all season.
    Oh yeah - not gonna disagree with you there...but some of the other guys are just getting to their man late and are falling for their pumpfakes...

[quote="Unclebuck"]I am one who wants the Pacers to pound the ball inside every time. [quote]

It has become a standard complaint on television, every time anyone takes a midrange jumper, the commentators bemoan that they should have "taken it to the basket." Often, maybe even usually, this is a good idea. But if you pound it inside EVERY TIME, then it becomes impossible to fake, and much harder to drive. Players that must be honored for the mid-range game are going to have a much easier time getting to the basket. That's why little guys like Tony Parker and Bibby have so much success inside.