Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN - Weekend Dime with interesting Pacers info

Default ESPN - Weekend Dime with interesting Pacers info

Found in Mark Stein's weekend dime located here.

Indiana, meanwhile, is closer to sleeper territory than anyone else in the vicinity, inconsistent as the Pacers remain. Their 17-16 record as of Friday morning doesn't look bad at all when you consider that they've played 19 road games and 10 back-to-backs already, but Jermaine O'Neal sounded less than optimistic when he shared this pearl Thursday night:
    "We've had a lot of games this year where we've controlled the game all the way up until the fourth and then lose our damn mind. Why? ... We get up 10 points and we just go ballistic. Sit down and get some tape. Every time we hit a 10-point margin, we go ballistic. I can't understand it for the life of me."
    Jamaal Tinsley's decision-making, I'd say, has something to do with it, but I'd still put the O'Neal-Al Harrington-Danny Granger Pacers, with Rick Carlisle at the controls, ahead of the field.

...(snip)...

"That's what's pissing me off," Jermaine O'Neal steamed. "We just need to play consistent basketball and we got the East."

Also from the same article:

"If I can't take this team to another level, then I truthfully believe that we should go our separate ways at the end of the season."
    Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, clearly frustrated by the Pacers' up-and-down play in a 17-16 start, went on to reveal that he badly wants to stay a Pacer, telling Reggie Miller recently that he doesn't want to leave until he wins the championship that eluded Miller's Pacers, but O'Neal also disclosed that he has an agreement with management to "talk at the end of the season" and determine if a change is best for both parties.
    O'Neal, on this scorecard, looks like the least of Indiana's problems, playing the best defense of his life. Inconsistent play at the point, as referenced in Box 1, remains the Pacers' foremost trouble spot. Yet O'Neal acknowledges that he's "going to take the blame" for any struggles and "rightfully so."

Default Re: ESPN - Weekend Dime with interesting Pacers info

Yeah, this is what Stein just repeated on NBA Kia Shootaround

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Get ready for it...

We shoulda traded for Iverson.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We shoulda traded for Iverson.
    Not sure we had the draft picks/ expiring contracts to get it done. (assuming that's what they were after, not to mention being in the same conference)

Besides that old issue (), this was an interesting view into JO's viewpoint. I'm fascinated with the possibilities for the Pacers down the stretch, whether it be trades, players setting into roles, or a shift in game philosophy. I'm especially watching to see if our guard play improves as trade talks heat up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO is losing it and I can't blame him. He is trying to light a fire under his team. I can see the writing on the wall right now IMO JO is a Pacer for life unless TPTB decide to do a full on rebuild which I think they don't think the franchise can withstand. JO wants to win so damn bad too, its crazy. Its beyond me how people could ever question his committment to winning.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    Not sure we had the draft picks/ expiring contracts to get it done. (assuming that's what they were after, not to mention being in the same conference)

Besides that old issue (), this was an interesting view into JO's viewpoint. I'm fascinated with the possibilities for the Pacers down the stretch, whether it be trades, players setting into roles, or a shift in game philosophy. I'm especially watching to see if our guard play improves as trade talks heat up.

We did before all the offseason moves! Croshere was expiring, and our pick went to Atl for Harrington. Only reason Den threw in the 2nd pick was b/c they needed to stay afloat during the suspensions! but yeah that's all old news!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Yep, we should have gotten JO some legit help here.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

You can tell Jermaine doesnt want to play here anymore, but he doesnt want to come out and say it because he is classy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    You can tell Jermaine doesnt want to play here anymore, but he doesnt want to come out and say it because he is classy like that.
    Jerm, I think you are wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaine O'Neal
    Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, clearly frustrated by the Pacers' up-and-down play in a 17-16 start, went on to reveal that he badly wants to stay a Pacer, telling Reggie Miller recently that he doesn't want to leave until he wins the championship that eluded Miller's Pacers
    I think JO loves this city and this franchise, so much so, that hes willing to go somewhere else if that means a better future for us.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Jerm, I think you are wrong here.

I think JO loves this city and this franchise, so much so, that hes willing to go somewhere else if that means a better future for us.

I concur. If Donnie & Larry can find a decent deal for Tinsley and Jax, you best believe they're half way out the door! Sadly no one wants either of them!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Get ready for it...

We shoulda traded for Andre Miller.
    Fixed.

I'll take less FGAs, more assists, and a better A/TO ratio, thank you.

You can tell Jermaine doesnt want to play here anymore
    I got just the opposite impression. Confiding to Reggie about the issue tells me that he views himself as the next step of the Pacers legacy. Maybe he's had it with Bird leaning on him to prove something, or he's had it with the roster they've put around him recently.

But JO is playing as well as Reggie ever did right now. He has become a one-man force out there, his on-court attitude is better than ever, and his words sound more like a leader than ever as well. As much as he's talked the role before, it still sounds more in touch with the level of superstar responsibility he's taken on.

Honestly I think JO took a big step forward as a player in getting through the last 2 years. He's better than he was even before the injuries.

TPTB would be outright idiots not to try to keep him and get the rest of the situation in order.

I've been all over the place in my feelings about Jermaine O'Neal, but lately they've been positive about him, and I feel for him when I read these things after seeing him play the way he has been playing. I think while there definitely was, and maybe partially still is, a part of O'Neal that looks out for him above everyone else, that it's either taken a back-seat or gone completely in the wake of wanting to do what's best for this team.

I know when he complained early in the year that many (including myself) took it to be a selfish act, but the more I've watched this season, and the more I've thought about it, my mind has changed. I think he said it because he honestly felt it would make the team better, not just him. I can't point specifically to several reasons why I feel the way I do, it's largely what my gut/heart tell me based upon everything I have seen. However, one specific thing I can point to is O'Neal's defensive play.

He's never been this good before on that end of the floor, and when I think back to past moments combined with how he's acted during important moments in games this year, I now believe that he was clutch all along, just not where you'd expect. He makes big defensive plays in the clutch. Sure, I'd want him to be as clutch offensively, but that's extremely difficult to do when you play as a big man (I firmly believe clutch offense is the domain of the little man).

Anyway, when I think about the effort (sorry, Jay) he's displayed in this area all season, it tells me he truly, honestly gives a **** about winning, and is trying his damnedest to make it happen. Hell, even on the other side of the ball he shows flashes of becoming a better passer (thought still not consistently enough for me to praise it).

At this point, I think if he becomes consistently the better passer he sometimes is, and brings a versatile, non-stagnant offensive repertoire to each game, he will be at Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett level, and I've never placed him there before in my mind.

With all of that said, I hope we can get some true quality in at the 1 and 2 before we lose him before his time is up in this league; I think it will be seen as a mistake within 5 years of it happening if what he's showing me lately is truly a sign of what he will bring until he declines. We need to do something soon.

All those good young PGs in the draft! Williams, Rondo, Farmar.. glad we didn't need a PG

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    All those good young PGs in the draft! Williams, Rondo, Farmar.. glad we didn't need a PG

We get it Seth, you dont like Iverson.

I personally dont like the guy (I have met him, he is a good guy but not someone who I would look at as a "role model") but I happen to think he would have been a great fit.

Guess what. He has already been traded, and short of me becoming GM for the Nuggets and trade Melo and Iverson for Sarunas we can stop talking about Iverson.

I realize it is a message board, and trust me Shade I am as sick as anyone of being stuck in mediocracy, but we are not going to get Iverson.

As for the initial post JO has said the same thing the last couple of years. He has really stepped his game up, now it is up to managment to do the same.

Seth -

I'd have been ecstatic with Dre as well. I've been pushing for him for...what...2 years now? But I still feel that SG is our primary problem area, not PG.

Actually our primary problems are Bird & Walsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    AMEN

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    I agree. I thought they really messed up on draft day. And I still believe it was not a good idea to get Al Harrington. The Pacers still do not have a reliable point guard who can defend or lead the offense. Marquis is becoming a waste of talent because he doesn't fit in with this team at all.

So many bloody problems with this team.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    AMEN
    Wow Bold, italicized, and underlined and SEVEN font? Peck, I'd been waiting for you to say something and now that I feel you have said this, I would really like to know more on your feelings on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    AMEN
    Peck, I would really like to know what you think of the way JO has been playing the past few weeks. And if you still hate him.

Sports Logo

I get the sense that JONeal is in the same place as KG is.....he's the only consistent player on the entire team...and the rest of the team is simply letting him down. I wouldn't be surprised if JONeal will be moved sometime before the Trade Deadline to a few minutes before Stern announces the 1st pick of the 2007 Draft.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I, too, am not happy with Donnie and LB right now...but I'm willing to wait it out and be patient...I'll give them a little more time.

Wow, so other than Bird, Walsh, Carlise, Tinsley, JO, AL, Jax....... The Pacers are in good shape from reading a couple of threads. I think everyone needs to take a second and breath. I've seen signs, I think, good signs. Let me see..

The defense is very very good at times, terribly inconsistent, but they appear to have the athleticism and capabilities to guard people now.

The offense is one of the league leading in assists, which means the ball is moving on offense and is unselfish, imo.

JO is averaging a career high in assists and makes the other team afraid to penetrate.

Tinsley is playing and yes he still gets in pissing matches, but I think his defense is better, he couldn't have went the other way. Quite frankly, other teams struggle guarding him in spurts too, he can get anywhere on the floor with the ball. He just has to balance the being assertive with the being under control.

They've played with or beat the leagues best.

I think they look like they've stayed together as a team, which after watching last year is nice to see.

Lets manage expectations here, does anyone think they are the favorites to win the championship? However, they should be a top 10 team, imo, and I think when the season is all over you'll see that.

Lastly, I see people's frustration with JO, I think Garnett in Minne gets the same thing, JO needs to be the go to guy in the clutch, in the 4th. Not just scoring, but making opportunities for the rest. Being clutch. Or that's what is expected from a teams "best" player. I don't know it can be or has to be JO, but this team needs to decide how this is going to be done. It's really painful for many of us to watch 12 pt 4th quarters for the TEAM, when we've been spoiled by Reggie for so many years getting basket when they were needed or going to the line in a cloud of talcom powder.

This team needs to figure that out, to close teams out.

All of these one sentence declarations about how terrible is with out really backing it up is frustrating to read.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Lastly, I see people's frustration with JO, I think Garnett in Minne gets the same thing, JO needs to be the go to guy in the clutch, in the 4th.
    First of all, great post. I agree we should try to be not so reactionary after games. However, for JO to be a dominant 4th quarter guy, the backcourt needs to give him the basketball. This is something which isn't happening like it should.